• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] PS5-XSX/XSS Year One Retrospective Direct Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"According to Digital Foundry's testing, PS5 does have a slight advantage in sticking to a stable 60 FPS when playing in Performance mode. "

Soulz please don't turn into the next Frank, lol

That article is referencing the first digital foundry article, they have done two more follow-ups since then where they say and show that the series X version is now improved. All the launch issues are gone.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Soulz please don't turn into the next Frank, lol

That article is referencing the first digital foundry article, they have done two more follow-ups since then where they say and show that the series X version is now improved. All the launch issues are gone.
Do you have a new VIDEO from them showing this to be the case?

Regardless it's a last gen game with terrible optimizations from a overrated lazy dev team.

isoRhythm

Banned
We're all putting this much focus on one game where the Series X had a noticeable advantage (albeit in photo-mode) and ignoring everything else? Mfers would have you believe pre-launch that XSX would outperform PS5 every single time but people are laser-focused on one of the only games that performed better :messenger_tears_of_joy:

JuXyoaN.gif

Three

What's so funny Sosokrates Sosokrates ? He is dead wrong. DirectX and XSX has a lot of fixed function hardware. DXR, VRS, SFS etc whereas a lot of engines currently use compute to achieve the same thing on PS5. UE5 uses hyper-optimised compute shaders instead of the Mesh shaders for example. What Alex is suggesting is wrong plain and simple. Current engines aren't using more fixed function hardware on a PS5 and there is no "RDNA 2 compute" secret sauce. He predicts this will change with new engines even though he has a prime example in UE5 not performing any better.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Do you have a new VIDEO from them showing this to be the case?

Regardless it's a last gen game with terrible optimizations from a overrated lazy dev team.

Yes, I posted it on the first page:

This is from one of their earlier DF Direct episodes, I don't know which one, but someone was kind enough to separate this portion.

--

The Control segment from today's video is below timestamped:

Noteworthy quotes:

John "People talk about 'oh the tools' but that *was* the actual real thing, the tools"

Rich says "Control on the Xbox Series X now does have a slight edge on the PS5 version"

Ultimately it's a very slight advantage, they don't do a side by side so we don't know what, as this is a retrospective video, not a comparison video.

So make of that what you will.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is wishful thinking not based on reality. The reality is that we already have a next-gen engine heavily using compute and showing high number of polygons / assets with UE5.

Matrix demo (high poly / assets/ high compute + RT use) is what all UE5 games will be based on. And for now PS5 actually performs better than XBox using that engine that using the old gen engine (UE4) where the Xbox had actually a slight advantage in most cases.
The Matrix demo runs like crap on both XSX and PS5 and people are essentially basing their arguments on which one is less bad. If you're using that stutterfest to benchmark how games are going to run better on one console vs another going forward then I don't know what to say. If what we see in the performance of the Matrix demo is what we can expect from UE5 in the future then they should probably just toss it in the garbage. I don't want games that run that poorly.

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes, I posted it on the first page:

This is from one of their earlier DF Direct episodes, I don't know which one, but someone was kind enough to separate this portion.

--

The Control segment from today's video is below timestamped:

Noteworthy quotes:

John "People talk about 'oh the tools' but that *was* the actual real thing, the tools"

Rich says "Control on the Xbox Series X now does have a slight edge on the PS5 version"

Ultimately it's a very slight advantage, they don't do a side by side so we don't know what, as this is a retrospective video, not a comparison video.

So make of that what you will.

The video didn't show both compared.
Supposedly it also is improved on PS5 now as well so a proper "updated" comparison is needed by them.
They can "say" whatever they want but show me the money.

Thanks for linking the available info though.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Did they mention anything about the memory usage in these consoles and are SX and PS5 using 13 or 13.5gb RAM ?

I wonder if the control stutter had to with CPU usage or memory for OS. Since SX has 4K UI like PS5 but at launch it was only 1080P probably also debunks that 4K UI takes unwanted memory or CPU usage.

adamsapple

Did they mention anything about the memory usage in these consoles and are SX and PS5 using 13 or 13.5gb RAM ?

I wonder if the control stutter had to with CPU usage or memory for OS. Since SX has 4K UI like PS5 but at launch it was only 1080P probably also debunks that 4K UI takes unwanted memory or CPU usage.

No, they mainly just give a retrospective of most of the game comparisons done over the year. They don't really go into any new technical info we didn't already know.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What's so funny Sosokrates Sosokrates ? He is dead wrong. DirectX and XSX has a lot of fixed function hardware. DXR, VRS, SFS etc whereas a lot of engines currently use compute to achieve the same thing on PS5. UE5 uses hyper-optimised compute shaders instead of the Mesh shaders for example. What Alex is suggesting is wrong plain and simple. Current engines aren't using more fixed function hardware on a PS5 and there is no "RDNA 2 compute" secret sauce. He predicts this will change with new engines even though he has a prime example in UE5 not performing any better.

Did Watch the video? Or at least read my quote of alex?

Hes refering to the higher clock speed of the PS5s GPU.

You think hes dead wrong, great, why are you telling me this?

isoRhythm

Banned

Other than being concerned about the XSeS memory, they didn't really touch upon on Sx/PS5.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How the fuck do you people manage to turn a rather interesting year in review video into a console circle jerk?
They discussed the face offs and mentioned how surprised they were at the initial comparisons and how those initial comparisons became the norm as the year went on. The topic is rather loaded. It was always going to invite console wars.

Elios83

still watching it. major comments till 24min in:

* XBOX was not able to show the power difference in games against PS5

Oh well at least the obvious has been finally admitted after a year :messenger_face_screaming: :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Although it's already the time for some wishful thinking about future engines favouring the XSX, of course totally ignoring that what is going to be the biggest and most widely adopted next gen engine is already pointing to a different outcome.

The UE5 demo is the only "next-gen" software that we can realistically compare, but we're going to ignore that for now ;)
Precisely, making certain commments ignoring that the only factual example we have is already disproving it. Professional analysis indeed.

adamsapple

Oh well at least the obvious has been finally admitted after a year :messenger_face_screaming: :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Although it's already the time for some wishful thinking about future engines favouring the XSX, of course totally ignoring that what is going to be the biggest and most widely adopted next gen engine is already pointing to a different outcome.

We haven't had a single retail game come out in either console running UE5 (unless you count Fortnite, which actually favors SX more). One tech demo is not an indicative of a whole 8~10 year generation.

Nothing is pointing to anything right now, we're still in the 'almost everything is developed cross-gen' phase this gen so far.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The compute part was super weird because last gen consoles were compute based with really low clock speeds. If anything, the engines don’t fully utilize the higher clocks or take advantage of the benefits provided by higher clocks.

I do think vrs will make a difference once devs learn to use it like id software did in doom Eternal. But vrs not being standard in ps5 will keep multiplat devs from utilizing it and they will settle for software vrs like infinity ward.

Precisely, making certain commments ignoring that the only factual example we have is already disproving it. Professional analysis indeed.
I've mentioned several times The special projects team have made 2 ps5 projects vs 1 Xbox project. Having twice the experience should be considered.

Three

Did Watch the video? Or at least read my quote of alex?

Hes refering to the higher clock speed of the PS5s GPU.

You think hes dead wrong, great, why are you telling me this?
Mind telling me where you think I've misunderstood what he said?

Your quote is what I read. Here it is again:

"so that one's uh in the way RDNA2 works there's a lot of compute thats going on there, other cross gen games where we might of seen s more wish washy performance and it was really hard to say which one was better or even ps5 was winning , in a lot of these ways winning quote unquote I mean its really not that important at the end of the day, um but you know when I think when compute is going to be leveraged more and I think that is the general tendency in graphics these days over time is more compute being leveraged and less so the speed of fixed function hardware which is the advantage the PS5 has, I think we'll start to see some more returns on the XSX side."

What have I misunderstood?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Mind telling me where you think I've misunderstood what he said?

Your quote is what I read. Here it is again:

"so that one's uh in the way RDNA2 works there's a lot of compute thats going on there, other cross gen games where we might of seen s more wish washy performance and it was really hard to say which one was better or even ps5 was winning , in a lot of these ways winning quote unquote I mean its really not that important at the end of the day, um but you know when I think when compute is going to be leveraged more and I think that is the general tendency in graphics these days over time is more compute being leveraged and less so the speed of fixed function hardware which is the advantage the PS5 has, I think we'll start to see some more returns on the XSX side."

What have I misunderstood?

He never said the xsx does not have fixed function hardware, though.

Last edited:

Elios83

We haven't had a single retail game come out in either console running UE5 (unless you count Fortnite, which actually favors SX more). One tech demo is not an indicative of a whole 8~10 year generation.

Nothing is pointing to anything right now, we're still in the 'almost everything is developed cross-gen' phase this gen so far.

It's the only actual evidence of a full next gen engine running on both with all its biggest features being active.
Nanite, global illumination and non scripted physical-based destruction in a open world context.
These are the compute heavy next gen features.
It obviously isn't a full a game but thinking that it's not representive of the future is absolutely disingenous.

Seriously the reality is simple. Some people can't accept that the systems are a match in real world situations after all the makerting lies and FUD of 2020.
It took a full year for DF to admit that XSX hasn't delivered on the its power advantage promise so far.

Last gen it was about things like DX12, move engines, hidden GPUs to fill a gap.
This time is about a RDNA2 checklist to try to create a gap that doesn't exist. It's really as simple as this.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It obviously isn't a full a game but thinking that it's not representive of the future is absolutely disingenous.

Thinking 1 demo is representative of the future is also absolutely disingenuous.

We simply need more multi platform games using newer technology, and not just being better cross-gen games, to get any idea of it realistically.

Three

He never said the xsx does not have fixed function hardware, though.
What's that got to do with what I said? The PS5 uses compute for a lot of things that XS has fixed function hardware for. He is wrong in thinking that PS5 is currently using super fast fixed function hardware and this will change with games starting to use compute because if anything PS5 is currently using compute shaders for things that XS has fixed function hardware for.

Sosokrates

What's that got to do with what I said? The PS5 uses compute for a lot of things that XS has fixed function hardware for. He is wrong in thinking that PS5 is currently using super fast fixed function hardware and this will change with games starting to use compute because if anything PS5 is currently using compute shaders for things that XS has fixed function hardware for.
But the PS5 is using faster fixed function hardware, its GPU!
And he never said the PS5 does not use compute, its that the xsx has more compute, which according to him will show an advantage as the gen progresses.

Last edited:

Elios83

Thinking 1 demo is representative of the future is also absolutely disingenuous.

We simply need more multi platform games using newer technology, and not just being better cross-gen games, to get any idea of it realistically.

Nothing disingenous, the demo is totally and absolutely representative of how UE5 based next gen games will run on both.
All the major next gen features of the engine are already active, the context is a realistic open world setting so not a corridor, not a specially scripted cutscene, not a single face rendering. They provided a totally realistic context.

It can't be representative of what is going to happen with all the other possible next gen engines but given that UE5 will be the most widely adopted one in a couple of years from third parties....yeah how UE5 runs on both wil decide how a LOT of the tech comparisons will go in the future.

What is absolutely disingenous is that a ''professional tech journalist'' is talking about future engines, he let himself go in some wishful thinking while purposely ignoring the only factual evidence we have, of course because it goes against his point already.

Sosokrates

Nothing disingenous, the demo is totally and absolutely representative of how UE5 based next gen games will run on both.
All the major next gen features of the engine are already active, the context is a realistic open world setting so not a corridor, not a specially scripted cutscene, not a single face rendering. They provided a totally realistic context.

It can't be representative of what is going to happen with all the other possible next gen engines but given that UE5 will be the most widely adopted one in a couple of years from third parties....yeah how UE5 runs on both wil decide how a LOT of the tech comparisons will go in the future.

What is absolutely disingenous is that a ''professional tech journalist'' is talking about future engines, he let himself go in some wishful thinking while purposely ignoring the only factual evidence we have, of course because it goes against his point already.

Whats your evidence for this?

adamsapple

Can we tone this rhetoric down a bit please ?

some folks here don't trust anything DF say, some folks don't trust anything NXGamer says. If we don't have outlets like this, we wouldn't know most of the things we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom