• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia The Lost Crown by Digital Foudnry

Vergil1992

Summary (if anyone wants to make a better one, go ahead)

- 4K/60fps on PS5/XSX

- 4K/120fps on PS5/XSX. 120fps mode is more stable on XSX.

- 1440p/60fps on XSX. DF says that on PS4 Pro and presumably Xbox One Although Xbox Series S has less loading times and textures at a higher resolution than PS4 Pro.

- 1080p/60fps in docked mode and 720p/60fps in handheld mode (NSW).

website

website

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm glad it seems to have turned out good but some design decisions I'd expect from Capcom's last Strider or Metroid Dread yet in the spirit of the original I'd want to see more tactical and methodical swordfighting & more immersing design, no "jumping up goes through the floor/platform" stuff.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Built on Unity
- "Remarkable job" considering previous Unity games, especially on platforms like Switch
- Mixture of Planar and SSR for reflections

- PS5 vs Series X
- 2160p with 120hz support on PS5 and Series X
- No visual differences or signs of DRS
- Series X has higher average performance, up to 10~12 FPS in areas shown
- VRR makes any drops from 120 'merely academic', however.
- 1080p or 1440p display owners should lock to 60hz instead (as they won't have 120hz VRR fallback) * (my note: I thought both PS5/SX supported 120hz 1440p with VRR ?)

- Series S vs PS4 Pro
- Series S 1440p @ 60hz, DF thinks the game should have had an unlocked FPS option
- PS4 Pro runs close to (but below) 4K, IQ looks sharper than Series S
- Series S has 60 fps cut-scenes, higher quality textures and no load-pauses
- PS4 Pro has 30 FPS cut-scenes, lower texture quality and pauses now and then to load

- Switch
- 1080p/60 docked, 720p/60 portable.
- Lower resolution textures, reflections are absent in some places, cut-scenes are 30 FPS
- But, for a Switch game, turns out a very good result.
- John thinks it's one of the best looking game he's seen on Switch
- Gameplay performance is mostly solid, cut-scenes are also mostly solid with one-off drops
- Portable performance is about the same, maybe slightly better, compared to docked.

- "Considering the number of platforms, arguably one of the best multi-platform release (in recent times)"

- Cons:
- No native HDR support
- Game requires a Ubisoft connect account (if online, if you keep system offline, this is not required)
- Switch is the only console where you are not required to have Ubi account when online

Last edited:

Pey.

Since there's no review thread for now. I'll leave this here. It's a solid 9.5/10 for me (there are some 4K screenshots in the review): https://www.pcmrace.com/2024/01/11/prince-of-persia-the-lost-crown-review/

It's not only of the best metroidvanias I've played in recent years, but also the Ubisoft's best game from the last 10 years. No doubt about it.

Here is a playlist with 10 videos including boss fights, compilations of traversal and puzzles, and the full map which is huge is. Not Afterimage huge, but still pretty big and rewarding in every single way:

Last edited:

Vergil1992

- Built on Unity
- "Remarkable job" considering previous Unity games, especially on platforms like Switch
- Mixture of Planar and SSR for reflections

- PS5 vs Series X
- 2160p with 120hz support on PS5 and Series X
- No visual differences or signs of DRS
- Series X has higher average performance, up to 10~12 FPS in areas shown
- VRR makes any drops from 120 'merely academic', however.
- 1080p or 1440p display owners should lock to 60hz instead (as they won't have 120hz VRR fallback)

- Series S vs PS4 Pro
- Series S 1440p @ 60hz, DF thinks the game should have had an unlocked FPS option
- PS4 Pro runs close to (but below) 4K, IQ looks sharper than Series S
- Series S has 60 fps cut-scenes, higher quality textures and no load-pauses
- PS4 Pro has 30 FPS cut-scenes, lower texture quality and pauses now and then to load

- Switch
- 1080p/60 docked, 720p/60 portable.
- Lower resolution textures, reflections are absent in some places, cut-scenes are 30 FPS
- But, for a Switch game, turns out a very good result.
- John thinks it's one of the best looking game he's seen on Switch
- Gameplay performance is mostly solid, cut-scenes are also mostly solid with one-off drops
- Portable performance is about the same, maybe slightly better, compared to docked.

- "Considering the number of platforms, arguably one of the best multi-platform release (in recent times)"

- Cons:
- No native HDR support
- Game requires a Ubisoft connect account (if online, if you keep system offline, this is not required)
- Switch is the only console where you are not required to have Ubi account when online
Thanks, man.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Literally in every trailer since it's reveal, his intro line has been 'I'm here to save the prince' and 80% of the gaming audience didn't pay attention. There are people who still think he's the prince, and I'm sure there will be people finishing the game thinking still he's the prince.
I didn't watch any trailers. The game is called prince of persia.

Anyway - NO HDR... wtf man., 2024

saintjules

Since there's no review thread for now. I'll leave this here. It's a solid 9.5/10 for me (there are some 4K screenshots in the review): https://www.pcmrace.com/2024/01/11/prince-of-persia-the-lost-crown-review/

It's not only of the best metroidvanias I've played in recent years, but also the Ubisoft's best game from the last 10 years. No doubt about it.

Here is a playlist with 10 videos including boss fights, compilations of traversal and puzzles, and the full map which is huge is. Not Afterimage huge, but still pretty big and rewarding in every single way:

A 9.5. so what kept it from getting a perfect 10?

Saber

Gold Member
This graphics doesn't look like heavy stuff nor looks like pushing bounderies in terms of visuals anyway. Honestly looks like a PS3 game, or even one of those generic phone games.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

when a midcore looking side scoring game cant even get a lock of 4k 120 fps on consoles....

will buy.. on PC .. when its a bit cheaper.
If that was your takeaway from this then I don't know who you think you are kidding.

You wouldn't have bought this game (especially on consoles) even if it was running at 8K 120fps. This is just some low-key trolling you are doing.

And how is the game mediocre... must everything look like cyberpunk?

//DEVIL//

If that was your takeaway from this then I don't know who you think you are kidding.

You wouldn't have bought this game (especially on consoles) even if it was running at 8K 120fps. This is just some low-key trolling you are doing.

And how is the game mediocre... must everything look like cyberpunk?
like.. learn how to read? lol. I didn't say the game is mediocre. I said the graphics are mediocre. Ori and the blind forest on xbox one look better than this. so yeah. its mediocre graphically. you like it ? more power to you bud.

and I said I would buy it when its cheaper. regardless of the platform. the game looks fun and the reviews are great. why wouldn't I ?

by default. my consoles are for exclusives. PC is for multi platform games unless the multi platform game is shit on PC. then ill buy it on console. its just common sense.

and its (Edit) NOT trolling. its sad. I don't think the xbox or PS5 are weak per say. but you would expect more optimization would have got the game locked. especially when its not that demanding.

Last edited:
The deluxe edition comes with 3 days of "early access". I blame MS for making this paying more for the real release dates crap.
Once again something MS pushed on their games/console becomes popular and becomes another way to gaming industry worse.

I bet most AAA games in 2024 come with a "pay more to play on the release date" aka early access garbage.

JaksGhost

like.. learn how to read? lol. I didn't say the game is midcore. I said the graphics are midcore. Ori and the blind forest on xbox one look better than this. so yeah. its midcore graphically. you like it ? more power to you bud.

and I said I would buy it. when its cheaper. regardless of the platform. the game looks fun and the reviews are great. why wouldn't I ?

by default. my consoles are for exclusives. PC for multi platform games unless the multi platform game is shit on pc. then ill buy it on console. its just common sense.
Are you trying to say mediocore?

Last edited:
Top Bottom