• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF RETRO - Let's Play Rocket Knight Adventures

stranno

e8LtYm1.gif

Its a trap!

I have to say that i'm a big fan of Climax Studios' Rocket Knight "remake". It has really cool stages and rock-solid gameplay, tho its not nearly as challenging, of course.

Dr.D00p

As much as I love JL's DF Retro videos, I don't think even I can sit through an hour long video about Rocket Knight Adventures. Not my cup of tea, at all.

Fake

Oh I don’t expect many people to make it through. These are the videos I make to keep me sane. Breezy fun instead of intricate edits.
Can you play Toy Story? Is IMO the most detail Mega Drive game I ever played.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Virtua fighter series I second this needs a retrospective

Also will watch this video. I love DF and DF retro D dark10x , keep up the great work.

Excellent game! I watched it all because I wanted to see the Japanese versions differences.

Glad I didn't do that last part as that would annoy me so much but it looks a little easier than when I beat it years ago.

Saber

Gold Member
I appreciate this video, but this game isn't really of my liking. But I recognize its visuals, although I feel like others deserve a better praise.

Notable mentions of good looking genesis games also includes Mickey Mania and World of Illusion.

As much as I love JL's DF Retro videos, I don't think even I can sit through an hour long video about Rocket Knight Adventures. Not my cup of tea, at all.

It's a nice video and a nice idea but I agree with you. This game is one of most that even though it looks charming for it's time doesn't catch me at all. I rather prefer playing something else.

One of my favorite Genesis platformers. I found a lot more level variety than I expected once I was able to get past the first two levels without dying. I still haven't beaten the game, though.

Fans of the eclectic level design of Gunstar Heroes should check it out.

Fake

Maybe at some point! I've only played it briefly but, yeah, it's super impressive looking so I should give it a shot!
Many thx. This means a lot for me. Was crazy when I was a kid for my mother try to find this game because none of us speak or understand english in that time.

Orenji Neko

Fantastic game. Very challenging, great graphics and sound; an all around excellent example of Konami on the Genesis. I still remember renting this back in the day with no preconceptions, I was very pleasantly surprised when I played it, and I knew I had to buy it after returning the rental.

Konami really did some awesome stuff with Sega’s hardware.

Shifty

Hey, nice! I always preferred the sequel (just called Sparkster in some regions I think) but the original has some nice stuff going on as well with its softer more cartoony style.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Love df retro but not this kinds of let's play videos. I want the intricate edits and the original format with all the technical details. Sure is more time consuming and a lot of research for do a video but i appreciate the details.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Love df retro but not this kinds of let's play videos. I want the intricate edits and the original format with all the technical details. Sure is more time consuming and a lot of research for do a video but i appreciate the details.
Same. I obviously prefer those as well but, during the fall season when new releases are hitting like crazy, I basically don't have the luxury to make a normal DF Retro episode (since it requires at least a full week of work). This is just bonus content more than anything - a chance to talk about games and have some fun.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Same. I obviously prefer those as well but, during the fall season when new releases are hitting like crazy, I basically don't have the luxury to make a normal DF Retro episode (since it requires at least a full week of work). This is just bonus content more than anything - a chance to talk about games and have some fun.
Please don't forget the classic format :messenger_loudly_crying:

nkarafo

DF Retro needs to use some filtering with these old 2D games. At the very least some bilinear filtering. These sharp, defined pixels were not the way these games supposed to look, not even the way devs wanted them to look. Old school CRT TVs were like the last layer that would determine how these games look and in many cases devs knew it and designed these games with that layer in mind. That means color blending, dithering smoothing, general image smoothing, etc, are all missing if you don't take the CRT into account and games end up lookig wrong, especially on Mega Drive/Genesis that used a lot of dithering and even took advantage the way CRTs work to create transparencies.

Especially 16 bit games were never these pixellated ones that indie developers who make "retro look" games want you to believe.

Last edited:

Kazza

I stopped after the first 15 minutes of watching this, as it was enough to convince me that I need to play this game for myself and not spoil too many of the surprises. I look forward to coming back to the video once I've played through the game. Although I like the slickly edited videos, these ones are fun to watch too.

I'll add my support for an eventual Virtua Fighter episode too (if there is time after the autumn rush of new releases is over).

bilderberg

DF Retro needs to use some filtering with these old 2D games. At the very least some bilinear filtering. These sharp, defined pixels were not the way these games supposed to look, not even the way devs wanted them to look. Old school CRT TVs were like the last layer that would determine how these games look and in many cases devs knew it and designed these games with that layer in mind. That means color blending, dithering smoothing, general image smoothing, etc, are all missing if you don't take the CRT into account and games end up lookig wrong, especially on Mega Drive/Genesis that used a lot of dithering and even took advantage the way CRTs work to create transparencies.

Especially 16 bit games were never these pixellated ones that indie developers who make "retro look" games want you to believe.

some people like seeing the pixels for god knows what reason

BigBooper

I watched this yesterday. It's amazing how advanced this game was. I played the remake/ sequel? last year and it was a lot of fun.

Top Bottom