• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 reached 10 million players in June, driving a record quarter for Blizzard

Draugoth

Gold Member
diablo-4-season-1.jpg

Activision Blizzard said on Wednesday that over 10 million players “experienced” Diablo 4 during its launch month.

The game was released on June 5 for PC and consoles and is the World of Warcraft studio’s fastest-selling title to date, according to its publisher.

“As of the end of the second quarter, Diablo IV had sold-through more units than any other Blizzard title at an equivalent stage of release,” it said in its second quarter earnings report.

Diablo 4’s release drove a record three months for the Blizzard business segment, which delivered its first $1 billion net bookings quarter. During the three-month period ended on June 30, Blizzard revenue grew over 160% year-over-year and operating income more than tripled year-over-year, each setting new quarterly records, according to Activision. Players logged over 700 million hours of Diablo 4 game time in June, “and retention trends for the title are particularly strong”, it added.

tmlDan

I feel the opposite to the first comment in this thread. I regret buying it, the worst diablo story thus far, after beating the game its tedious and slow and im honestly done with the game.

I hope they turn it around and make it better but the last patch is not a step in the right direction. I might come back in future seasons if the game improves.

Crazy success though, good for blizzard.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I feel the opposite to the first comment in this thread. I regret buying it, the worst diablo story thus far, after beating the game its tedious and slow and im honestly done with the game.

I hope they turn it around and make it better but the last patch is not a step in the right direction. I might come back in future seasons if the game improves.

Crazy success though, good for blizzard.

Same, i will be quitting it after S1 if they dont change things

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Starting to realize the more "(Game) is dead/bad" videos and forum posts you see, the more successful that game actually is. My God, my YouTube feed is filled with doom and gloom about Diablo 4. While I'm not particularly impressed with the safe structure of D4, it's nice to see the Blizzard is still on top. Screw the haters! Now about that next project...

Spyxos

Gold Member
One day I will play through it. I'm still somewhere in act 4 at lvl 52. It's so incredibly boring. It still plays the same as lvl 1 because the monsters level up with you. The story started out very interesting but unfortunately they didn't do anything with it anymore. All areas look somehow the same, although they a quite different.

No one in my friends list plays it anymore. I think a lot of people bought it, but gave up very quickly. I wish I hadn't bought it.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
If my friends, my WoW guildmates, and the growing sentiment I'm seeing elsewhere are any indication, we'll probably be watching a sharp drop in player counts.

Tg89

Game sucks but is what it is, was always gonna sell well.

Crazy that this is made by the same company that made games like D2:LoD, Brood War, WoW (Vanilla), etc. If you told me 20 years ago that a Diablo 4 would come out and not even be one of the best 10 games of the year (half a year, really) I wouldn't believe you, but here we are.

Last edited:
Remember when people said Blizzard would go bankrupt lol
They're no longer independent. They were bought out by a company that was bought out by a company.

And you can find people saying every publisher would go bankrupt, at some point. Sony, Xbox (though, never Microsoft), Nintendo (or go third-party), Capcom, Konami (clueless people who don't realize Konami isn't primarily a videogame publisher), etc.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sweet. Good job Xbox fam.

I think this might be the most I’ve played a Blizzard game since vanilla World of Warcraft.

clarky

Gold Member
Dropped of this hard around lvl60. It just became very tedious, but I did enjoy my time with it. I wont be redeeming my season pass until they sort their shit out.

Ozriel

M$FT
Starting to realize the more "(Game) is dead/bad" videos and forum posts you see, the more successful that game actually is. My God, my YouTube feed is filled with doom and gloom about Diablo 4. While I'm not particularly impressed with the safe structure of D4, it's nice to see the Blizzard is still on top. Screw the haters! Now about that next project...

Every FIFA game for the past half decade has been met with angry YouTube videos and vows to never buy another EA FIFA game again.

…and then the games go on to sell bajillion copies.

Dropped of this hard around lvl60. It just became very tedious, but I did enjoy my time with it. I wont be redeeming my season pass until they sort their shit out.
Same. I was really enjoying it and then overnight I just lost all interest. I think it's the level scaling. I'll keep it installed though, it should get a lot better in a few years, right?

clarky

Gold Member
Same. I was really enjoying it and then overnight I just lost all interest. I think it's the level scaling. I'll keep it installed though, it should get a lot better in a few years, right?
Definitely the level scaling. I understand the benefits of using a system like this but the negatives far out weight them for me.

Last edited:

Laieon

Well deserved, it's a masterpiece.

Good, its a superb game that deserves its success. I hope the support continues and it improves consistently.

Yep, I'm having a blast with it. It's a lot of fun to pick up and play.

I lost interest in it for a month, but have gotten back into the it over the past couple days. I'm sure in a couple days I'll get bored of it again and then inevitably pick it up again later down the road. That's no fault of DIV, that's just how ARPGs (and MMOs) have historically held my interest.

I will say that as someone who never played D2 before Resurrected came out, it sure as hell held by initial interest far longer than that did.

If you told me 20 years ago that a Diablo 4 would come out and not even be one of the best 10 games of the year (half a year, really) I wouldn't believe you, but here we are.

It's one of my top 2 games of the year. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Meanwhile the hardcore community are having a meltdown because they nerfed everything.

You have to laugh at the vocal minority sometimes because the numbers say completely different to what they say.

I was pretty excited to pick this up but ultimately held off since I was playing too many other games. Figure I'll just get it a few years down the line when everything gets fleshed out and at a major discount.

comes from the hardcore gamers.

Hibs

Meanwhile the hardcore community are having a meltdown because they nerfed everything.

You have to laugh at the vocal minority sometimes because the numbers say completely different to what they say.
Those casuals will find out eventually, like how they did once they got to WT4 that there wasn't much to do for endgame. Now they can do it again in S1 with a weaker character, and longer xp grind.

When everything is litterally nerfed across the board, xp, defense, damage of all classes, it isn't an incorrect metldown at such a large change.

I just tried my level 51 Sorcerer and didn’t notice a difference.
Much of the changes are more felt on the high level players, I think that when backlash comes out against balance changes its like fire spell goes from 8% dps to 7.8% dps and over a 3 min dungeon that 10% less damage and I'm like huh...doesnt affect me much.

Top Bottom