• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is the "number one platform for Diablo 4 players", says Xbox president

Whilst the franchise has long been associated with its dedicated PC fanbase, an email sent from Xbox president Sarah Bond this week intimates that the most recent release, Diablo 4 – which was acquired by Microsoft as part of its $68.7m acquisition of Activision Blizzard, of course – is most popular on the Xbox console system even though the RPG is also available on PC and PlayStation consoles, too.

"We are integrating Activision Blizzard King titles into our services – we launched Diablo 4 into Game Pass, and Xbox has quickly become the [number one] platform for D4 players," Bond reportedly wrote in an email seen by Windows Central.

Have you played Diablo 4 on Game Pass?

Mortisfacio

I wonder if PC Xbox Game Pass is counted in this. I noticed playing D4 with my Dad (he's playing on Game Pass for PC) that even though we're both on PC, I have to turn on cross platform play to play with him.

Moses85

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

The game is underperforming in every way.

Three

A 9 month old game which has had its players dwindle since then had a bunch of people click to play it when it went into game pass. Who would have thought?!

The real question is how did the numbers compare to 9 months ago and are people buying the $60 microtransactions now?

Last edited:

rm082e

They're the only ones playing it. :pie_roffles:
Yeah, exactly this. I bought it on PC at launch along with several friends. We all played it for 3 months, then the Season 1 content was terrible, so we dropped it. There were tons of stories at that time showing the player base just fell off a cliff. There were more people playing Diablo 3 than 4 around the time of the Season 2 launch.

cormack12

Gold Member
They just put it on gamepass for like 20 million people, I would hope so!!

The retention will be the more interesting figure. They obviously want these people to download the paid expansion and are banking on getting itemisation 2.0 correct

Xyphie

Not really much of an accomplishment when you launch GP availability towards the end of a season cycle. The current season is mostly finished so people are either waiting for Season 4 for the massive itemization revamp or playing the PTR for said season.

Last edited:

Pop

You can sign up to gamepass ultimate with a new account for a $1 if you really wanted to play

Who cares

Atrus

Gold Member
Revenue by platform will explain the real story over pointless marketing drivel. Putting anything on Gamepass drives the player count but is hardly a marker for success as we’ve seen with Starfield.

Last edited:
Diablo 4 was a fart in the wind for me. Fucking boring as all hell once I'd gone through the campaign once, and even that was too long for what it was in my opinion.

Reactions: Isa

Zheph

Introducing a group of new players who never bought it and maybe get them hooked enough to buy future DLC/MTX, personally think its a good thing in this case
I reckon the target players already have the game but why not alto they should have put it on the GP at the beginning of S4 because S3 is far from being good

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I reckon the target players already have the game but why not alto they should have put it on the GP at the beginning of S4 because S3 is far from being good
Exactly, the people who really wanted it bought it, done with it and most moved on

This just gives it a little more life even if it should have happened sooner

Zheph

Exactly, the people who really wanted it bought it, done with it and most moved on

This just gives it a little more life even if it should have happened sooner
I think the game should get some traction soon, they are making lot of positive changes for S4 but I believe the new GP players will only do the campaign and move on, a lot of people don't enjoy the seasons (restarting your chara etc)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think the game should get some traction soon, they are making lot of positive changes for S4 but I believe the new GP players will only do the campaign and move on, a lot of people don't enjoy the seasons (restarting your chara etc)

Considering it's first party now, it's gonna be on the service in perpetuity, so plenty of time for people to do seasons without worrying about the game leaving on 6 to 12 months.

Jaybe

Amazing what happens to the player count when it’s given away for “free” on a platform. What I’d love to know is the sales breakdown, probably PC, followed by PS5, with Xbox in distant third.

reinking

Gold Member
#WINNING

Baby Success GIF

Seriously though, this is the type of game that is perfect for Game Pass now that it is first-party.

• LOL

mrqs

The wording in there is specific for a reason. It might have more players on Xbox as of right now when compared to other platforms. That doesn't mean it's the biggest one, probably just have the most players playing currently there now.

The game might not have many players these days on pc/playstation.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I don't even believe them. They probably do some weird shit like separate Steam and Battle.net players into two different platforms or count PC Game Pass as part of Xbox.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

People bought if for the name alone, it's performance as a service game is really bad. Like really bad. That reputation is gone now, DV won't do these numbers anymore.

Game was/is a massive let down. This should have been a massive success from day1 on all platforms. They even scramble to redo a lot in the game, trying to bring fun into the game, in the hopes to retain what is left of players, but most won't care to come back.

adamsapple

Ten months after the game launched on two different PC storefronts and two different consoles (including Xbox), MS starts bragging about how it is doing on Xbox via Game Pass?

That's a bit of a cringe flex, tbh.

It's just a single line in an email talking about it doing well as the first Activision game integrated into the service.

Not really a "brag" per say.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Sounds like a brag to me. Hopefully it doesn't go any further than email.

When they start adding the CoD games, they'll definitely talk about them, especially the older ones, seeing a lot of resurgence in player counts since being added, which should be expected both in terms of the players expanding and them acknowledging it.

Topher

Gold Member
When they start adding the CoD games, they'll definitely talk about them, especially the older ones, seeing a lot of resurgence in player counts since being added, which should be expected both in terms of the players expanding and them acknowledging it.

That's fine. Don't think there is anything wrong with talking about a game's "resurgence" via Game Pass. That's not what they did here though so, again, hope that remains an internal memo flex.

Last edited:
Top Bottom