• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Led Zeppelin rip off "Stairway to Heaven"? A court will decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_lxa7im1wLZ1qz6f4bo1_1280.jpg

Priz

I picked up a CD while I was in Japan at Tower Records which I thought was interesting...

mvh2h8M.jpg

The Early Blues Roots of Led Zeppelin

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. When The Levee Breaks - Memphis Minnie
2. Sugar Mama - Sonny Boy Williamson
3. Jesus Gonna Make My Dying Bed - Josh White
4. Nobody's Fault But Mine - Blind Willie Johnson
5. Travelling Riverside Blues - Robert Johnson
6. The Girl I Love She Got Long Curly Hair - Sleppy John Estes
7. Shake Em' Down - Bukka White
8. I Want Some Of Your Pie - Blind Boy Fuller
9. Gallis Pole - Leadbelly
10. My Mama Don't Allow Me - Arthur Crudup
11. My Baby I've Been Your Slave - Sonny Boy Williamson
12. Fixin' To Die - Bukka White
13. Boogie Chillen - John Lee Hooker
14. Lone Wolf Blues - Oscar Woods
15. Got The Bottle Up And Gone - Sonny Boy Williamson
16. Truckin' Little Woman - Big Bill Broonzy
17. Going Down Slow - Louis Jimmy Oden

TheMink

This video explains it well. All the songs have in common are 4 descending notes. The Spirit song only uses one chord, the Zeppelin has multiple chords and is far more complex. Plus the Zeppelin song uses those four notes in a very complex song lasting 7 minutes, while the Spirit song is nothing more than 2 minutes of aimless instrumental noodling..

Couldn't have said it better myself. If the melody was there then maybe you would have a case, but I'm sorry nobody has a patent on chords. Just cause it's not the 4 chord song you can sue?

Inspired by, but not stolen.

A good example of starting with an idea from someone else and making it your own is Stone Temple Pilots' Vasoline which sounds has elements of Led Zep's Immigrant Song but is also pretty clearly it's own thing.

Xun

I always fear I've subconsciously taken some of my own music from others without knowing, and whilst we don't know the case with the 4 notes from Stairway it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Page subconsciously took them after hearing Spirit play Taurus.

That said there's really nothing special about the Stairway intro, especially since it's just an A minor arpeggio.

It required a court case for her to get the credit. It wasn't a case of Page and Plant discovering she wrote it and giving her credit she had to pursue legal action and as always Page and Plant fought it until the case was given the go ahead for trial at which point they settled. Magically giving Page and Plant a credit for a song they transposed in key and which Plant skatted a couple of extra verses riffing on Bredon's original lyrics.
Out of curiosity, do you have the source of them fighting against the case? I'm generally intrigued.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not a chance. There's some instrument choices and a tonal feel that might have been an influence, but melodically nothing. I've heard other cases that were tossed out where the similarities were FAR greater.

This is like composing a string and horn filled march and being told you ripped it off from Star Wars.

Why is a court of people who know nothing about music deciding this? This is as dumb as the "Blurred Lines" case, a case that had no merit and was decided by people who knew nothing about music. You don't get to sue over a song sounding similar to yours. If it actually lifted a melody, note for note, then you have a case.

Why is a court of people who know nothing about music deciding this? This is as dumb as the "Blurred Lines" case, a case that had no merit and was decided by people who knew nothing about music. You don't get to sue over a song sounding similar to yours. If it actually lifted a melody, note for note, then you have a case.

That's why you call in "experts" for court cases to explain to people. That's how all court cases work, whether it's medical, financial, scientific, forensics, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom