• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Led Zeppelin appears in court over Stairway to Heaven dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, that makes sense.

The intro is very similar. Led Zeppelin also opened for Spirit prior to writing 'Stairway to Heaven', so they were definitely aware of this band, and may have even heard 'Taurus' at that time.
I think the court already went over that and decided otherwise. It's the same chord progression and like others have said, there's only so much you can do without treading on someone else.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think the court already went over that and decided otherwise. It's the same chord progression and like others have said, there's only so much you can do without treading on someone else.

Zeppelin is known for using other artists materials in their work but I don't think Stairway is the best example at all. There are other far more obvious examples in their work and I think its just the fact that its Stairway to Heaven and is probably the most famous rock and roll song ever that caused a lot of this.

Edit: For the new page

I mean for those saying Zeppelin ripped off the song Tauras, you do realize that intro is part of a public domain and has been for hundreds of years. Listen to the following composition, ‘Sonata di Chittarra, e Violino, con il suo Basso Continuo’ as originally written by 1600s composer Giovanni Battista Granata, specifically the melody that emerges around the 0:32 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpbJ5Kjy2I

I believe this was actually a big part of the Zeppelin lawyers defense.

The Beard

yeah these songs are based on the same, and well known, note progression. like summer rain by johnny rivers which was also released in 68.

I mean for those saying Zeppelin ripped off the song Tauras, you do realize that intro is part of a public domain and has been for hundreds of years. Listen to the following composition, ‘Sonata di Chittarra, e Violino, con il suo Basso Continuo’ as originally written by 1600s composer Giovanni Battista Granata, specifically the melody that emerges around the 0:32 mark.

It all makes sense now. If their defense was, they were inspired by that song that was in the public domain. Wouldn't they still have to credit the original artist on the song though, "interpretation of a song by such and such"?

I know they've given similar credits on other songs, one of them being "Gallows Pole".

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
And there it is....

Yep. Page never lifted the idea from the band that was around at the exact time when he wrote the song. He got it from that classical piece from the 1600s that every young rock guitarist knew and loved.

Or wait...was it after he watched Mary Poppins?

Who cares. Case closed.

Yep. Page never lifted the idea from the band that was around at the exact time when he wrote the song. He got it from that classical piece from the 1600s that every young rock guitarist knew and loved.

Who cares. Case closed.

Yeah. It's "public domain". Great, but he didn't hear it in a public library going through archives of existing progressional chords of the 17th century.

That said, here's a short list of similar sounding songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlgqkno2hB8

HStallion

Who cares. Case closed.

I'm not saying they weren't inspired, just that the lawsuit has no real ground to stand on as far as the law is concerned.

Zeppelin is known for using other artists materials in their work but I don't think Stairway is the best example at all. There are other far more obvious examples in their work and I think its just the fact that its Stairway to Heaven and is probably the most famous rock and roll song ever that caused a lot of this.

Edit: For the new page

I'm not saying they haven't stolen music, I'm saying in this particular case they didn't. The two are similar but they're not blatantly alike and using the fact that "they've done it before" while having very little evidence in this case is a little silly, not that that's directed at you since I don't think you're implying that, but yeah.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...he didn't hear it in a public library going through archives of existing progressional chords of the 17th century.

lol

I think people are too quick to jump to Jimmy Page's defence, for a few things. But I'm just messing around though. I love Led Zep's music. Was in a band in my youth and one of our favourite songs to cover was Living Loving Maid. It was great fun to play.

HStallion

I'm not saying they haven't stolen music, I'm saying in this particular case they didn't. The two are similar but they're not blatantly alike and using the fact that "they've done it before" while having very little evidence in this case is a little silly, not that that's directed at you since I don't think you're implying that, but yeah.

I think we do agree lol. I just think its funny that people are calling them out for plagiarism when Stairway isn't even a great example. There would have been other songs to hit them on for far more straight forward copying but those songs weren't nearly of the popularity and didnt have the universal acclaim that Stairway had.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...I just think its funny that people are calling them out for plagiarism when Stairway isn't even a great example. There would have been other songs to hit them on for far more straight forward copying...

But they have been called out for (and grudgingly admitted) this on other songs before, more than once. Dazed and Confused being an obvious example.

But yeah, Stairway to Heaven is literally just the intro.

HStallion

But they have been called out for (and grudgingly admitted) this on other songs before, more than once. Dazed and Confused being an obvious example.

But yeah, Stairway to Heaven is literally just the intro.

I meant actually trying to sue them on one of these songs though. Stairway was not a good choice but I think it was done so because Randy California's estate knew how valuable the song was and were hoping to cash in a bit.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I meant actually trying to sue them on one of these songs though. Stairway was not a good choice but I think it was done so because Randy California's estate knew how valuable the song was and were hoping to cash in a bit.

Oh right, of course.

And yeah that'll be the reason they sued. Imagine the jackpot if they had maybe got a songwriting credit going forward.

I think we do agree lol. I just think its funny that people are calling them out for plagiarism when Stairway isn't even a great example. There would have been other songs to hit them on for far more straight forward copying but those songs weren't nearly of the popularity and didnt have the universal acclaim that Stairway had.
Yeah, I forgot which one but someone pointed it out in another thread and it was pretty much a blatant copy, Zeppelin and many other rock bands did it, but this is a piss poor example and I'm surprised to see so many clammoring for them to be sued when there's really not much there.

I hope they say,

"Fuck yeah we lifted it. Welcome to Music. Take your money ya greedy wankers."

And then walk back into legend-hood

Edit: too bad song-writing credits would be disgusting, which means they will definitely fight it if possible

HStallion

I hope they say,

"Fuck yeah we lifted it. Welcome to Music. Take your money ya greedy wankers."

And then walk back into legend-hood

Edit: too bad song-writing credits would be disgusting, which means they will definitely fight it if possible

Well Robert Plant did sing the intro verse to Stairway to Heaven in the court. I really hope the bailiff or someone held up a lighter or something. If they filmed this trial at all I really hope someone leaks the tapes or whatever to the internet. I think it would be awesome as a its almost like a Zeppelin history lesson in parts.

I just listened to the Taurus song for the first time and there is a vague similarity at the intro but a far cry from the entire Stairway to Heaven. Clive Tanaka has more claim to Ninki Manaj's Starships than this IMO but I doubt he's going to get anything either.

The Tea Party, as best as I can recall, has a song ending similar to Spirit. I think its a nice piece the Taurus song doesn't really go anywhere sadly which is probably why there are similarities to it in other work. At the very least I think I will check out Taurus' songs now.

Well Robert Plant did sing the intro verse to Stairway to Heaven in the court. I really hope the bailiff or someone held up a lighter or something. If they filmed this trial at all I really hope someone leaks the tapes or whatever to the internet. I think it would be awesome as a its almost like a Zeppelin history lesson in parts.

That's badass! I bet if JPJ and a robotic version of John Bonham were brought in they would even do an entire set!

Xun

Good to hear it's over.

The only time Page himself (in my opinion) was naughty was with Dazed, but thankfully that has been settled.

Those two songs remain the same. Throw the book at em, not just a page. Someone must've planted evidence. Guess that's how the case was won. What litigation breakdown.

Yeah, as soon as I saw this the other day I knew they were off the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom