• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Led Zeppelin appears in court over Stairway to Heaven dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilby

haha pretty good reason.

I actually had never thought of this beore, makes absolutely no sense, but well..

Shhhh! It gives portrait artists a possible career path, don't give people any funny ideas!

It's probably something to do with preventing pictures of people who have been found not guilty from accidentally circulating and being used against them in the future somehow.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
There was a really great NPR segment discussing copying works a few months ago. It was pretty interesting and extremely wide spread in all fields. It's a big part of humans creative process, taking a template and remixing it to create new content.

Was that the segment that included an ibterview with Mark Ronson? That was very good.

Parch

Sued by a trust acting for a founding member of Spirit who died in 1997? What a farce. If this was about fair compensation this lawsuit should have happened 40 years ago.
This is the problem that I have. The estate does not accurately represent the original writer and his opinion is unknown because he has passed. If he did have a problem with Page/Plant, this would have been addressed years ago. This is just a blatant attempt to cash in on something they had nothing to do with.

n64coder

Am I the only one that thinks those courtroom drawings are kind of awesome? Especially Page.

I agree that it's pretty good. Nothing will ever top Tom Brady's sketch.

tom-brady-court-sketch.jpg

Lebron

A lot of big bands/artists with big discographies suffer from this kind of allegations.
Some are unjustified, and just money attempts.

LZ has flat out not given people credit and had to go back and correct it. It's not the first time. They get no sympathy from me however old they are.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I just listened to Taurus. The accusation of plagiarism is ridiculous.

n64coder

On the second day of the trial, Jimmy Page took the stand and testified. There's a nice writeup of the day by Rolling Stone magazine.

Page claimed he had never heard the band's eponymous debut album, noting that there was no way for him to listen to, or even know the existence of, every record in his expansive personal music collection, which he assessed as "4,329 LPs and 5,882 CDs." "To be honest, I could've bought it or been given it," Page stated. He claimed he had never heard "Taurus" until "something appeared on the Internet - there was a buzz going on in the comparison [between "Taurus" and "Stairway"] a few years ago.

Much of the day's testimony centered around the events of December 26th, 1969 - the date of a Led Zeppelin concert in Denver co-headlined by Spirit and heavy rockers Vanilla Fudge. According to Page, Led Zeppelin played first and had to leave immediately after to make the next day's date in Seattle, making it impossible for anyone in the band to have seen Spirit's performance.

Today (third day of trial), Jimmy Page took the stand again.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page said on Thursday that the riff he is accused of stealing for the band's 1971 hit "Stairway to Heaven" is in fact a commonly used chord progression similar to a melody from the 1964 movie musical "Mary Poppins."

And on the subject of royalty payments from their catalog:
More recently, a company to benefit members of Led Zeppelin and their heirs distributed more than 6.6 million British pounds last year, the equivalent of more than $9 million in current dollars, from royalty payments on the band's songs over the previous 12 months, Page testified

The trial continues and Plant is expected to take the stand.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Robert Plant testifies he can’t read music or remember the ’60s. Verdict: Still a rock star.

Plant testified that he had no recollection of the 1968 instrumental tune “Taurus,” by the psychedelic rock band Spirit, and that it did not inspire Led Zeppelin’s 1971 hit. “I didn’t remember it then, and I don’t remember it now,” he declared, according to Rolling Stone.

And as for claims that he attended a Spirit concert where he might have heard it — well, Plant noted that he was in a bad car accident only hours later — “part of the windshield buried in the top of my head, which was interesting,” he noted dryly, according to the Independent — and had no memory of the prior evening.

“I don’t have a recollection of mostly anybody I’ve hung out with,” he added, which, according to the Hollywood Reporter, prompted raucous laughter in the gallery.

But even if Plant had heard Spirit perform “Taurus” live, he maintained he couldn’t have transcribed the notes for his guitarist and songwriting partner Page. When defense attorney Peter Anderson asked Plant if he could read or write music, he laughed, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “I haven’t learned that yet,” he said.

If there was ever a trial I wish I could have been called for jury duty it would have been this one. The article is funny enough but the actual events sound great including Robert Plant singing the opening chorus of Stairway to Heaven to the courtroom. I really wish this was televised!

Edit: Its basically a history lesson including Plant talking about when Stairway to Heaven among other neat little facts. I hope some recorded a video.

Norml

Robert Plant testifies he can’t read music or remember the ’60s. Verdict: Still a rock star.

If there was ever a trial I wish I could have been called for jury duty it would have been this one. The article is funny enough but the actual events sound great including Robert Plant singing the opening chorus of Stairway to Heaven to the courtroom. I really wish this was televised!

Edit: Its basically a history lesson including Plant talking about when Stairway to Heaven among other neat little facts. I hope some recorded a video.
What an ass! Can't even admit to ever hearing it.

Theyre similar, but not enough to consider it plagiarism. The somg structure is quite different. It may have inspired Page but so what? Happens all the time. Shit, just about every punk band in existance sounds more alike then those two songs.

Based on the relatively limited spectrum of variations possible in music compared to other artistic mediums, songs are simply bound to sound similar. Because of that, I dont think you can really say someone stole your song unless its like at least 90% identicle from beginning to end.

rjc571

Banned
How can you claim plagiarism over a single four note progression? That would be like if the first (or one of the first) authors to use the phrase "Once upon a time" sued every other author who used it after they did.

That's hard to believe considering how expensive lawyers are.

Shouldn't there be statute of limitation of when the artist knew about the infringement and why he filled for lawsuit so late?

http://www.askamusiclawyer.com/archive/is-it-too-late-to-file-a-copyright-infringement-lawsuit.html
http://law.freeadvice.com/intellectual_property/copyright_law/copyright_statute_limitations.htm

Under copyright law, the statute of limitations tolls, or begins running, when the infringement is discovered. So, if someone republished your work as their own six years ago, but you just discovered it, you can still sue for copyright infringement. However, the issue is then raised as to the amount of damages you can collect.

The general rule is that the statute of limitations starts from the date of the last infringing act. However, the courts are divided as to how this applies. Some courts hold that you can recover your damages for the entirety of the infringement so long as a lawsuit is filed within 3 years of the last infringing act; others limit damages to those acts which occurred within the three years leading up to the lawsuit.

In the case of Zeppelin ripping off "Dazed and Confused" :

Holmes has waited more than 40 years to file a plagiarism suit. Due to a statute of limitations, the 70-year-old can only claim royalties and damages for the past three years; and so he's doing just that, seeking actual damages, three years of song profits and statutory damages of $150,000 (£99,000) per infringement. As the track appears on everything from Led Zeppelin's debut to their BBC Sessions, as well as DVDs and compilations, that's no small sum. Enough, certainly, to fund a late retirement.

How can Plant have never learned to read or write music? I mean, I believe him, but HOW?

Maybe this is a "prepare to have your mind blown" moment but many musicians can't read or write music. None of The Beatles could/can do it, Eric Clapton, Elvis Presley, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrex, Angus Young - the list goes on and on. Even Irving Berlin ("Alexander's Ragtime Band," "White Christmas,", "God Bless America"...) couldn't read or write music.

HStallion

Maybe this is a "prepare to have your mind blown" moment but many musicians can't read or write music. None of The Beatles could/can do it, Eric Clapton, Elvis Presley, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrex, Angus Young - the list goes on and on. Even Irving Berlin ("Alexander's Ragtime Band," "White Christmas,", "God Bless America"...) couldn't read or write music.

So they stole that too

iirc it's not the artist who's filing the lawsuit, but the son of the band's frontman/guitarist (who had the rights to the song, I think, but never wanted to file a lawsuit). The son controls the estate. The statute of limitations are different in the UK and US, with US statute of limitations being much longer. Taurus toured with Led Zeppelin in the US, which is what gives them grounds to file in the US.

IANAL so I'm not really sure what applies in this case, but I think they've already asked for the case to be dismissed several times and the judge was unwilling to throw the case out, so it's going to court. The statute of limitations might affect the potential amount to be paid, but it doesn't affect the legitimacy of the case at this point.

jett

D-Member

Prompted by Anderson, Plant then softly half-spoke, half-sang the lyrics from the stand, according to reports:

There’s a lady who knows all that glitters is gold,

and she’s buying a stairway to heaven.

When she gets there she knows if the stores are all closed,

with a word she can get what she came for.

News reports did not indicate if jurors got goosebumps, but it definitely sounded like a moment.

The plaintiffs have no chance.

R. Kelly can't even read. Not music, he can't read period.

drspeedy

I hope somebody held up a damn lighter or threw up some devil horns!

If the plaintiff's attorney had any wherewithal, they'd have a "No Stairway" sign in their briefcase at the ready. Once the jury heard the first few notes.... It's practically over

iu

DiscoJer

How can Plant have never learned to read or write music? I mean, I believe him, but HOW?

I took band for 2 years in junior high, I could never read it. I would have to write the letters under the notes..

Eventually I just faked playing. There were 5 other people playing my instrument....

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Lucky bastards...

Listen, Led Zep are awesome. Stairway is a brilliant song. But Page knows exactly where he got that intro.

And that'll be why they won the case, because it's just the intro he lifted this time.

The Beard

Lucky bastards...

Listen, Led Zep are awesome. Stairway is a brilliant song. But Page knows exactly where he got that intro.

And that'll be why they won the case, because it's just the intro he lifted this time.

I don't understand how this wasn't considered plagiarism, but Sam Smith's 'Stay With Me' was?

Lucky bastards...

Yeah, that's probably it. As much as the rest of the song may not have existed in its form without the iconic intro that builds the base for the awesome song, the rest of the song is quite original and different to be justified "not plagiarized".

Thus is a court case that should have happened decades ago. At this point I'm not upset with the decision. Seemed like a money grab even if they did have some merit.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The intro is very similar. Led Zeppelin also opened for Spirit years earlier, so they were definitely aware of this band.

Yeah, but I actually admire the brass-neck it took for both Page and Plant to stand up in court and go with the, "Maaan...I never even heard this other song till, like, two weeks ago! Honest!" defence.

HStallion

I mean for those saying Zeppelin ripped off the song Tauras, you do realize that intro is part of a public domain and has been for hundreds of years. Listen to the following composition, ‘Sonata di Chittarra, e Violino, con il suo Basso Continuo’ as originally written by 1600s composer Giovanni Battista Granata, specifically the melody that emerges around the 0:32 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpbJ5Kjy2I

I believe this was actually a big part of the Zeppelin lawyers defense.

bill0527

I mean for those saying Zeppelin ripped off the song Tauras, you do realize that intro is part of a public domain and has been for hundreds of years. Listen to the following composition, ‘Sonata di Chittarra, e Violino, con il suo Basso Continuo’ as originally written by 1600s composer Giovanni Battista Granata, specifically the melody that emerges around the 0:32 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpbJ5Kjy2I

I believe this was actually a big part of the Zeppelin lawyers defense.

And there it is....

yeah these songs are based on the same, and well known, note progression. like summer rain by johnny rivers which was also released in 68.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom