• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did The Xbox Series S Spook Sony and Cause Them to No Longer Believe In Generations?

NullZ3r0

Banned
Before this week, Sony was lauded by Playstation fans and gaming press alike for their bold stance on next gen. Sony from the beginning said they were going to make a compelling argument for gamers to move to PS5. We soon found out what that meant when Sony declared that they believed in generations and that they were going to stop making first party games for the PS4. The same games press that lambasted MS for this stance in 2013 all of a sudden embraced it. All of a sudden this was the very reason PS exclusives looked better than MS exclusives like Halo Infinite.

Then Microsoft unveiled Series S at $299. This was a next gen console at the PS4 Pro price-point. If Sony no longer supported PS4 with their new games, why buy a PS4 Pro at that price when the competing console is newer and will get new games? This week their tune changed. Now PS5 games are going to get gimped and ported to PS4. Now Jim Ryan is verbally sucking off the PS4 in media outlets.

This is a direct result of the Series S aiming for the budget console market that Sony was hoping they would dominate this holiday season. No question about it. MS called Sony's bluff and they folded like a cheap suit.

Bolivar687

Banned
4f8y2x.jpg

sn0man

OP: did Sony get spooked into downgrading their 4K SSD games into 4K checkerboarded ports with static loading screens?

Honestly that makes some sense. They tried to have their cake and eat it too. The actual video was RAH RAH PS5. The press releases afterwards were keep that install base happy. Don’t go next gen yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw some really aggressive PS4 slim SKUs this holiday or even sooner.

Also that avatar.... you get me every time Mars.

NullZ3r0

Banned
No, you can’t pivot on a dime like that in 3 months. Jim was being dishonest at the time, or not practicing what he was preaching.

Maybe he really does believe in generational shifts, he just believes in the bottom line more.
Yes they can pivot. Just tell the studios to make a PS4 version.

Kerotan

The way I look at it last gen they made the blunder of launching too many games ps3 exclusive the year the ps4 launched. Instead of horizon 2, Spiderman and sack boy being ps4 exclusives they're now cross gen.

The ps4 launch would have been far superior if the last of us, gran turismo 6, God of war ascension, gta v and behind two souls were not ps3 exclusives and in some cases permanently. They did the right thing. And considering the ps5 will probably be ultra supply constrained year one it's probably the fairest thing.

Having said that I really don't want God of war 2 to be cross gen but I feel that will be March 2022.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
They realised they had 110 mil plus ps4 owners and also now with a pandemic/recession less people can transfer over. Now they'll get money from both sides for a year

NullZ3r0

Banned
OP could have had a decent thread if he plainly said $$$$$, but he couldn't help himself to shat on his point, and defacto derail his own thread by mentioning the Series S. It's about those 100 million PS4's owners and their money.
Those 100 million PS4 owners were there a few months ago. Their money was there before.

So this is about money. It's all about pricing tiers. MS attacked the $299 tier that Sony believed they would have all to themselves. Sony felt threatened and changed direction.

reinking

Gold Member
You must be right OP. Sony must be terrified going into this generation. Congrats for being the first to figure it out. You might have a future at Bloomberg.

Astral Dog

PS5 sales will be fine and the games are going to look great, next gen only releases will take a little more time but games look so good now, even the improvments on their cross gen games look amazing chill

People are excited for PS5, people will be buying PS5, next gen games will come gamers with PS4 can still enjoy new releases for the next year its not the end of the world

GeoramA

Miles Morales looks like a next-gen leap to me. Plus we're gonna get the SSD and DualSense benefits that's won't be on the PS4. Such an overblown "issue".

Last edited:

anothertech

The plans will have been there from the start.

Jim Ryan was being dishonest.

You're trying to make this about Microsoft for whatever reason but the simple fact is Sony have been bullshiting everyone about the generations stuff.
About as dishonest Phil about not leaving Xbone behind and Halo as a launch title?

tryDEATH

No, Sony was just being an absolute c*nt and lying to their consumers.

They just wanted the PR and hype points early in the reveal cycle and as you can see it worked. All the fanboys that ate it up are now eating humble pie and pretending like they knew this was going to happen, but where happy to trash Xbox for their stance for months on months disparaging Xbox for holding back the generations, making the Series S useless and countless other negative narratives they tried to smear Xbox with in this regard.

Its hypocrisy 101 from the fanboys, they are stuck so far up Sony's behind they aren't even holding Sony accountable to lying and deceiving them, not the stance of cross generation support, but the blatant misinformation. They will just go on like nothing happened and pretend that that stance was always the status quo when it came to cross-generation support.

No, you can’t pivot on a dime like that in 3 months. Jim was being dishonest at the time, or not practicing what he was preaching.

Maybe he really does believe in generational shifts, he just believes in the bottom line more.
Don't talk about Jim like you know him personally.

I happened to call him an hour ago and he told me to tell you and OP that you can both go fuck yourselves!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sony has decades of experience knowing there is a balance to selling a new gen while pocketing loads of money off of an older gen.

IF they decided randomly to support last-gen with Miles/Horizon they did it because of them watching market trends and not MS babbling about generations (when the truth is they have no games anyways.)

Really good chance this decision was made a long time ago and the generations thing was overblown marketing fluff.

Microsoft is full of cornballs that don't know how to market but both companies are full of pieces of shit who don't give 2 shits about you. "How to be a powerful leader at a Fortune 50" basically has rule #1 of "be human garbage." Sony is better at marketing and more importantly has been damn good at making fine product for a long while now.. but don't believe random marketing fluff from them.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony has decades of experience knowing there is a balance to selling a new gen while pocketing loads of money off of an older gen.

IF they decided randomly to support last-gen with Miles/Horizon they did it because of them watching market trends and not MS babbling about generations (when the truth is they have no games anyways.)

Really good chance this decision was made a long time ago and the generations thing was overblown marketing fluff.

Microsoft is full of cornballs that don't know how to market but both companies are full of pieces of shit who don't give 2 shits about you. "How to be a powerful leader at a Fortune 50" basically has rule #1 of "be human garbage."
Then they should of been upfront and not marketed spiderman and horizon 2 as nextgen exclusives lie by ommision. Make any excuse you want waiting until pre orders started to tell the truth is not right.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Then they should of been upfront and not marketed spiderman and horizon 2 as nextgen exclusives lie by ommision. Make any excuse you want waiting until pre orders started to tell the truth is not right.

It's not an excuse, and sure, take them to task for that for sure.

It's about as "trying to pull the wool over your eyes" of a narrative as it gets.

Neo_game

IMO Microsoft went very aggressive on the pricing of their console. Sony I guess adjusted their pricing accordingly as well. Both companies are probably losing lots of money I think. The best place to make money has always been software. So if they can have few million sales on the PS4 software they will happily take that money. Every PS4 sale is probably also a profit for them where as every PS5 sale, especially the DE they are losing money ?.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Boy, o' boy! The shift, now that Sony is doing cross gen. And their going to go with PC, too.

Guess cross gen and PC is great now, eh? Lol. You guys are something else.
Where did i say anything about pc? Sony still has more actual
Exclusives to their hardware than MS does, sure sony showed some ps5/pc games but I didnt talk about those, demon souls, spiderman, rachet etc are playstation exclusives.

Zato

Banned
Before this week, Sony was lauded by Playstation fans and gaming press alike for their bold stance on next gen. Sony from the beginning said they were going to make a compelling argument for gamers to move to PS5. We soon found out what that meant when Sony declared that they believed in generations and that they were going to stop making first party games for the PS4. The same games press that lambasted MS for this stance in 2013 all of a sudden embraced it. All of a sudden this was the very reason PS exclusives looked better than MS exclusives like Halo Infinite.

Then Microsoft unveiled Series S at $299. This was a next gen console at the PS4 Pro price-point. If Sony no longer supported PS4 with their new games, why buy a PS4 Pro at that price when the competing console is newer and will get new games? This week their tune changed. Now PS5 games are going to get gimped and ported to PS4. Now Jim Ryan is verbally sucking off the PS4 in media outlets.

This is a direct result of the Series S aiming for the budget console market that Sony was hoping they would dominate this holiday season. No question about it. MS called Sony's bluff and they folded like a cheap suit.

Lol ....... you twat!

Honestly believe they have ports of those games going after the Series S was announced?

ffs lol

Tschumi

Joke?

They said 99% of PS4 games would be playable in the Deep Dive, from memory?

I'm not going to wade into this.. but i see a bunch of threads with XBox fans trying to eek out some reason to be triumphant about the PS5 price point etc... I'm sorry guys but none of your points are in the same ball park, the same league, the same sport, as the smug xBox reveal of Halo Infinite which gave us Craig's face and hours of solid gold memes.

Last edited by a moderator:

semicool

Banned
He's probably someone who thinks you can scale down from Series X to a Series S with a single button press.

So I don't know... 2 buttons?
That how you would scale down on a pc changing out just the graphics card that's lower power with less VRAM.....2 button clicks to change the resolution. Not too hard.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gold Member
You don’t create a port on a different console months into development on a whim and expect them both to release simultaneously without a delay. That’s not how development works.

Top Bottom