• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Allegedly In Preliminary Talks To Bring Helldivers 2 To Xbox Series X|S

Topher

Gold Member
I don't believe it, because of the obvious shit tier source.

But, man I sooooo want this to happen. Would pay money to watch the meltdowns even. Lmfao.

Sony fans would be in total shock. Xbox fans wouldn't be able to stop laughing. And nearly the entirely world would be looking at Sony executives.....

Are You Stupid Antoine Dodson GIF

MarkMe2525

I am skeptical of the claim, but I don't think Sony would have any concern over people choosing an Xbox over a PS, due to this games availability on the MS platform. It would actually serve this game well to have an even larger player base.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am skeptical of the claim, but I don't think Sony would have any concern over people choosing an Xbox over a PS, due to this games availability on the MS platform. It would actually serve this game well to have an even larger player base.
Exactly.

If Sony really cared that much about platform wars, exclusivity, and trying to hoard all GAAS revenue on PS ecosystems only, they wouldnt launch it on PC day one. Thats why they dont care about having MLB on Xbox either.

As some gamers theorize, HD2 isn't the kind of game that will make or break picking platform. So it should apply to Xbox too.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Whatever. It just boggles my mind that Xbox fans have spent almost a decade whining, port begging, eating up these obviously fake leaks, waiting for the secret sauce, and claiming the next great game is right around the corner instead of, you know, just playing on something else.

If you want Helldivers 2, you know where to get it, and it's not Xbox.

Exactly.

If Sony really cared that much about platform wars, exclusivity, and trying to hoard all GAAS revenue on PS ecosystems only, they wouldnt launch it on PC day one. Thats why they dont care about having MLB on Xbox either.

As some gamers theorize, HD2 isn't the kind of game that will make or break picking platform. So it should apply to Xbox too.

When it came to MLB The Show, it was one of those things where the MLB demanded that they make it multiplatform to continue with the license. Which makes sense as there are literally no other options for baseball on the market.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Well to play devils' advocate, Sony are already kind of doing that to PlayStation with the PC ports. I think they've been very overzealous in those ports the past few years, and it could make the PS5 Pro a harder sell than it needed to be. Plus is there fundamentally any difference between a GAAS game Day 1 on PC & six months later on Xbox, especially for an IP that isn't heavily associated with PlayStation the way GOW, Killzone, TLOU etc. are (historically speaking)?

Obviously I'm not making that argument to suggest Sony do bring HD2 to Xbox; there are plenty of reason why they shouldn't. But do I have confidence Sony would value those reasons the same way? Not necessarily, especially as time goes on. The idea though that it'd devalue their own console doesn't necessarily work IMO when them doing Day 1 for GAAS on PC already somewhat does the same thing.

Basically: you're right. But the reason you're right also shows what effects their PC strategy has that are somewhat similar anyway.

But why would this be the kind of bone Sony throws them? MS being allowed to publish on PlayStation is as much a bone they're entitled to. What are MS gonna do if Sony doesn't port games to Xbox? Not publish on PlayStation anymore?

MS are the dependent ones here, not Sony. Doesn't really matter how "big" a publisher MS are, either: they still need platforms to sell their games on so it's probably in their best interest that PlayStation prospers.

Which IMO means it's probably in Sony's best interest to stop risking devaluing of their own console with so many PC ports, but will they actually change some plans there? Who knows :/

Meanwhile in the real world, HD2 would’ve been half as successful (or likely less than that) without a PC port. The tears need to dry up at some point because PC ports aren’t gonna stop. They just announced they’re bringing trophies to PC. Does it sound like they’re exiting the market?

Sony ports games to EGS to the sounds of crickets and dozens of sales for some quid pro quo I would guess. Xbox hardware is dead in the water just like EGS. No harm done bringing a big time GaaS there.

Topher

Gold Member
Exactly.

PS and PC are not in a "platform war". PS and Xbox are. If Sony didn't care about MLB being on Xbox then Sony would be publishing MLB on Xbox, but they are not.

RedC

All GaaS games should be on as many platforms as they can be ported to especially if they're proven to be successful.

JaksGhost

If this game came in mediocre to underwhelming these kinds of “GaaS deserve to be on as many platforms as available” talks would cease to exist. Where’s the threads demanding “Foamstars” on Xbox?! None of this was happening when the game was announced to its actual date of release. It’s just funny seeing this sudden shift now because of one company’s recent actions.

Last edited:

Generic

Sony fans would be in total shock. Xbox fans wouldn't be able to stop laughing. And nearly the entirely world would be looking at Sony executives.....

Taking all emotions from the equation, a higher playbase would be a good thing for the players of the game.

Killjoy-NL

Exactly.

They don't see PC as competition, hence why Layden said that releasing games on PC (GaaS in particular) won't have negative effects on their console business.

And before some people go "but people will move to PC", we have a thread about PC hardware pricing where we see PC gamers making the argument that they'd be better off just buying a PS5 Pro, so it's basically win some/lose some.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think it's fine on playerbase and it's not good for Sony to make their platform less appealing and alluring

But in this specific example, allegedly PC is the bigger platform for the game anyway, so any perceived harm to Sony's own platform is already there (not that I think there is any)

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
But in this specific example, allegedly PC is the bigger platform for the game anyway, so any perceived harm to Sony's own platform is already there (not that I think there is any)
Well at least make it a good swing vote now that it's popular to sway console players to PS over Xbox and they're not gonna get many sales from Xbox anyway

RedC

If this game came in mediocre to underwhelming these kinds of “GaaS deserve to be on as many platforms as available” talks would cease to exist. Where’s the threads demanding “Foamstars” on Xbox?! None of this was happening when the game was announced to its actual date of release. It’s just funny seeing this sudden shift now because of one company’s recent actions.
Of course, you wouldn't see any demand for any game to be ported to more platforms if it was mediocre to underwhelming.

Halloween Eye Roll GIF by Luis Ricardo

However, there is a major difference between single-player campaigns and online multiplayer GaaS games, even if they're from a first-party publisher with their own platform because the business models are quite different.

Sony has been experimenting, maximizing the revenue generated from a product (Game), and minimizing the negative impact it has on their platform due to them being the industry leader, hence them porting their games to PC after it's already released exclusively on their platform for an extended time.

The same could be said for GaaS games to maximize the player base to consistently generate more revenue through microtransactions.

It's likely a minuscule player base that would solely buy a platform to play an exclusive GaaS game, and it's likely worth the sacrifice relative to how much more money they could be making if it was ported to as many platforms as possible.

Last edited:

Fabieter

And before some people go "but people will move to PC", we have a thread about PC hardware pricing where we see PC gamers making the argument that they'd be better off just buying a PS5 Pro, so it's basically win some/lose some.

The console base dropped significantly over the gens. Do those people just stop playing video games? No, most of them went to pc.

King Dazzar

Joking aside. I wonder even if this was seriously being considered, which I don't. Wouldn't PlayStation internally have the same thoughts as some devs are recently rumoured to have been expressing. i.e why bother it isn't worth the effort. And on the effort side of things, surely Series S would be a dissuader. iirc PS5 is only giving this 1080p with a variable 50 to 60fps.

Shubh_C63

Are they ?
Helldivers is no God of War, nobody is going to buy a PS for that.
And I bet putting microtransactions on MS store would be a huge win for Sony revenue wise.

nial

Gold Member
Sony ports games to EGS to the sounds of crickets and dozens of sales for some quid pro quo I would guess. Xbox hardware is dead in the water just like EGS. No harm done bringing a big time GaaS there.
Does an EGS release require another full-on port work? Isn't it just submitting the game on the platform?

Fabieter

Are they ?
Helldivers is no God of War, nobody is going to buy a PS for that.
And I bet putting microtransactions on MS store would be a huge win for Sony revenue wise.

Helldivers sold like 15m already. So idk what you mean. Its a big fucking ip.

demigod

Whatever. It just boggles my mind that Xbox fans have spent almost a decade whining, port begging, eating up these obviously fake leaks, waiting for the secret sauce, and claiming the next great game is right around the corner instead of, you know, just playing on something else.

If you want Helldivers 2, you know where to get it, and it's not Xbox.

When it came to MLB The Show, it was one of those things where the MLB demanded that they make it multiplatform to continue with the license. Which makes sense as there are literally no other options for baseball on the market.
Don’t you know? All xbox fans became PC gamers overnight.

//DEVIL//

Yes because porting a game to another system can be done in a month or so. assuming this got greenlit, we wont see shit till probably mid to end next year ( assuming it got approved today )

I don't see the game to have legs to still be popular till next year. the current highest user account these days is around 190k and not gaining more popularity.

Would not be surprised. But again the current market is not really predictable with games finding success or not.

Though it is hilarious how 343 could have made their own Helldrivers based on Halo long time ago...But oh well.

They don't see PC as competition, hence why Layden said that releasing games on PC (GaaS in particular) won't have negative effects on their console business.

Xbox isn’t much of competition either.

Killjoy-NL

The console base dropped significantly over the gens. Do those people just stop playing video games? No, most of them went to pc.
The console base remained pretty much the same, at least for Playstation + Xbox.

The only one that makes it difficult to make a total assessment is Nintendo.

But even then, the console market is stable.
It's only MS that comes up with a narrative that it's declining, because their PR projects their problem onto the entire market, as do the Xbox zealots.

W11d

The port begging is on another level with this one. It's probably because Helldivers is so much different from the usual Sony's lineup and even attracts players who don't care about all the Spider-Man and Horizon. I see a lot of people on twitter and reddit who bought ps5 just to play HD2.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Helldivers sold like 15m already. So idk what you mean. Its a big fucking ip.
It's an excellent game and a huge success. But putting it on Xbox earns them way more than having it just on PS.
Helldivers success still I bet (and guess) moves less hardware sales than a cinematic flashy story driven game Sony is known for.

And microtransactions go for insane prices now, its just free revenue with not a substantial hit on hardware sales or Sony first party lineup PR news.
It's GaaS. Even after the 30% they have to pay to Xbox, they would still get the profit.

Helldivers success still I bet (and guess) moves less hardware sales than a cinematic flashy story driven game Sony is known for.
This is what I mean when I say its no God of War. They would earn by microtransactions by putting it on as many platforms as possible with minimal hit on hardware sales.

GoW could even be developed on a loss because it has the ability to move major hardware and Sony-PR wins. It's a different league like TloU and Uncharted.

Top Bottom