• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Allegedly In Preliminary Talks To Bring Helldivers 2 To Xbox Series X|S

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well, why not. Judging by this thread a true multiplatform videogames industry would be like an anti-cringe serum for would-be-warriors.

Fabieter

It's an excellent game and a huge success. But putting it on Xbox earns them way more than having it just on PS.
Helldivers success still I bet (and guess) moves less hardware sales than a cinematic flashy story driven game Sony is known for.

And microtransactions go for insane prices now, its just free revenue with not a substantial hit on hardware sales or Sony first party lineup PR news.
It's GaaS. Even after the 30% they have to pay to Xbox, they would still get the profit.

Helldivers success still I bet (and guess) moves less hardware sales than a cinematic flashy story driven game Sony is known for.
This is what I mean when I say its no God of War. They would earn by microtransactions by putting it on as many platforms as possible with minimal hit on hardware sales.

GoW could even be developed on a loss because it has the ability to move major hardware and Sony-PR wins. It's a different league like TloU and Uncharted.

What people never understand. The same with should sony, Nintendo or Microsoft support any other platform. Its the combination of the games not individual releases. So yes it helps sell hardware 100%.

Fabieter

The console base remained pretty much the same, at least for Playstation + Xbox.

The only one that makes it difficult to make a total assessment is Nintendo.

But even then, the console market is stable.
It's only MS that comes up with a narrative that it's declining, because their PR projects their problem onto the entire market, as do the Xbox zealots.

Well I bet consoles take alot of users in and older folks will switch go pc. I bet 90%of the pc mains here had their console as a main at one point.

And yes sony stayed relatively stable but they are also relatively new to drop exclusives. Lets see what happens in gen x. People will blame market conditions if ps6 will tank, but the truth will be bad decisions as giving up exclusives. We can speculate all we want the truth will hit sonys face by 2028.

Topher

Gold Member
It's an excellent game and a huge success. But putting it on Xbox earns them way more than having it just on PS.

And microtransactions go for insane prices now, its just free revenue with not a substantial hit on hardware sales or Sony first party lineup PR news.
It's GaaS. Even after the 30% they have to pay to Xbox, they would still get the profit.

This is what I mean when I say its no God of War. They would earn by microtransactions by putting it on as many platforms as possible with minimal hit on hardware sales.

GoW could even be developed on a loss because it has the ability to move major hardware and Sony-PR wins. It's a different league like TloU and Uncharted.

I just can't get past this notion that the bestselling game of 2024 somehow doesn't sell consoles, but I'll just agree to disagree on that.

Despite those that believe Xbox is dead, there is still a console war going on. Sony is about to launch a mid-gen console while Microsoft is already positioning themselves for next gen. Sony needs to guard their console market position. Microsoft has no console market position to worry about. Xbox would only provide a small fraction of the revenue Sony has brought in from PC and PS. Bottom line here is Microsoft needs PlayStation, but Sony does not need Xbox. Porting over to the competition. what looks to be Sony's only hit for 2024 would not be a smart move at all.

Shubh_C63

I just can't get past this notion that the bestselling game of 2024 somehow doesn't sell consoles, but I'll just agree to disagree on that.

Despite those that believe Xbox is dead, there is still a console war going on. Sony is about to launch a mid-gen console while Microsoft is already positioning themselves for next gen. Sony needs to guard their console market position. Microsoft has no console market position to worry about. Xbox would only provide a small fraction of the revenue Sony has brought in from PC and PS. Bottom line here is Microsoft needs PlayStation, but Sony does not need Xbox. Porting over to the competition. what looks to be Sony's only hit for 2024 would not be a smart move at all.
Makes sense. I guess over a little more revenue compared to securing their position, only Sony can tell which position they will take. the later I guess.

Killjoy-NL

Well I bet consoles take alot of users in and older folks will switch go pc. I bet 90%of the pc mains here had their console as a main at one point.

And yes sony stayed relatively stable but they are also relatively new to drop exclusives. Lets see what happens in gen x. People will blame market conditions if ps6 will tank, but the truth will be bad decisions as giving up exclusives. We can speculate all we want the truth will hit sonys face by 2028.
This was said before last gen as well. That PS4 and XBO were the last gen for consoles.
It's being said this gen as well, because Xbox is dying.

Thing is, the average consumer wants convenience, which directs them to consoles.
The vast majority of the Xbox installbase will just migrate to Playstation, as we can see going by sales.

We'll have this exact discussion next-gen again.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
All the rediculous console waring jokes aside, an active game player base of 30 million is still viable for certain games, especially AAA ones that aren't typically seen as exclusive to Sony. (Like gt, ratchet, thlou, etc).

If you guys are so certain ms is done, crushed, has zero chance, why wouldn't Sony welcome some more revenue? Wouldn't it be thier fiduciary responsibility to shareholders?
You can't have it both ways - either they are still a threat or they are another place to make money that poses no threat.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's been almost 3 months since its launch and still with these false rumors? It's time to turn the page.
Sony said they will put it on the Series X but not the Series S as the S is too weak. Because of Xbox's policy on requiring a version on both Series S & X, Xbox are denying Sony releasing Helldivers II on Series X.

Source: The same one this thread is based off of.
tales of the ass

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
All the rediculous console waring jokes aside, an active game player base of 30 million is still viable for certain games, especially AAA ones that aren't typically seen as exclusive to Sony. (Like gt, ratchet, thlou, etc).

If you guys are so certain ms is done, crushed, has zero chance, why wouldn't Sony welcome some more revenue? Wouldn't it be thier fiduciary responsibility to shareholders?
You can't have it both ways.

If Xbox is a viable contender in the console war (which I think they are) then why would Sony port their extremely popular game on their chief competition's console? Market share is also of concern to shareholders.

Fabieter

This was said before last gen as well. That PS4 and XBO were the last gen for consoles.
It's being said this gen as well, because Xbox is dying.

Thing is, the average consumer wants convenience, which directs them to consoles.
The vast majority of the Xbox installbase will just migrate to Playstation, as we can see going by sales.

We'll have this exact discussion next-gen again.

Not compareable. They completely gave up on exclusives. Consumers aint completely drives by convenience and never were. The discussion next generatiois gonna be mighty different but it will be to late to change anyway.

TheShocker

These “insiders” on both sides of the console wars are the biggest losers on the planet.

Imagine being a grown ass adult and championing for one brand or the other.

THE DUCK

If Xbox is a viable contender in the console war (which I think they are) then why would Sony port their extremely popular game on their chief competition's console? Market share is also of concern to shareholders.

I would agree with that personally, but certain members on this board keeps saying (over and over in basically every thread) xbox is completely done, crushed, out of the race. (Despite have massive gobs of cash and a massive lineup of studios and a very competent engineering team)
So I wanted to highlight the silliness of that particular position.

Mr Moose

You can't have it both ways - either they are still a threat or they are another place to make money that poses no threat.
Why would they want it on a failing console?
MicroSoft recently "Let's spend Sony out of business", MicroSoft now "Why aren't they putting Helldivers on Xbox? Please, Sony!".
Fuck MicroSoft.

say what you will, its only a matter of time.

Wizard Of Oz GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Keep telling yourself that.

Topher

Gold Member
I would agree with that personally, but certain members on this board keeps saying (over and over in basically every thread) xbox is completely done, crushed, out of the race. (Despite have massive gobs of cash and a massive lineup of studios and a very competent engineering team)

I tend to agree. People are underestimating Microsoft.....badly.

cuz MS is not Xbox

Mr Moose

MicroSoft !=Xbox. Xbox doesn't have lots of money, it has Papa MS giving handouts. Xbox loses money.

THE DUCK

Why would they want it on a failing console?
MicroSoft recently "Let's spend Sony out of business", MicroSoft now "Why aren't they putting Helldivers on Xbox? Please, Sony!".
Fuck MicroSoft.

I guess it depends on if it's personal. If they truely beleive ms is done, selling an extra 2 million units of helldivers ii (or more) bringing in an extra 100 million in revenue on a minimal effort port (probably cost less than 2 million to port), why wouldn't they?

Mr Moose

I guess it depends on if it's personal. If they truely beleive ms is done, selling an extra 2 million units of helldivers ii (or more) bringing in an extra 100 million in revenue on a minimal effort port (probably cost less than 2 million to port), why wouldn't they?
That's the thing, why would you want to even try to help your competitor who said they want to destroy you? How much is that worth?

Killjoy-NL

Not compareable. They completely gave up on exclusives. Consumers aint completely drives by convenience and never were. The discussion next generatiois gonna be mighty different but it will be to late to change anyway.
Then you didn't listen to a word of what at least 4 execs have said.

Mr Moose

Why does it matter if papa keeps handing out?
The cash flow is there when needed.
I think there is a reason Phil is head of MicroSoft gaming and not Xbox Gaming (to be honest that used car salesman shouldn't be head of anything).
There will come a time that the handouts will stop. Caped Baldy is focusing on profits, like the new PS guy.

Fabieter

Then you didn't listen to a word of what at least 4 execs have said.

What that they dont see pc as competition or that there still gonna be selected exclusive games?

Since when do we believed everything an executive say? And often did we see a higher up fucking about entire big cooperation because of mismanagement.

Killjoy-NL

What that they dont see pc as competition or that there still gonna be selected exclusive games?

Since when do we believed everything an executive say? And often did we see a higher up fucking about entire big cooperation because of mismanagement.
Like MS, you mean?

So you're projecting Xbox issues onto Sony. Gotcha.

Sw0pDiller

Why would they? Nobody owns an Xbox outside of the us. And the poor souls who own one dont but any games because gamepass. Still, they are missing out on this game so i hope more people can play it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm not even a big industry guy and even I know Sony would never share the hottest multiplayer game in a decade with their competition for the chance at maybe 10-15% more players of what they already have.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think anyone underestimates Microsoft.

However as long as the current management of Xbox remains in position then the current trend of their market share in the console space will remain intact.

Good point.

Fabieter

Like MS, you mean?

So you're projecting Xbox issues onto Sony. Gotcha.

No like any big cooperation. Those people make mistakes and mistakes from executives can kill companies and yes sony fucked up several times in the past in multiple divisions.

yurinka

Isnt most of the players on pc? 🤷‍♂️
No.

Around 50% on each platform some days after launch according to the Arrowhead CEO is the only worldwide data we got.

I'm not even a big industry guy and even I know Sony would never share the hottest multiplayer game in a decade with their competition for the chance at maybe 10-15% more players of what they already have.
Already happening, Sony decided to continue sharing Destiny 2 plus any future Bungie games with rival console since day one with total parity after the acquisition.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Already happening, Sony decided to continue sharing Destiny 2 plus any future Bungie games with rival console since day one with total parity after the acquisition.

Sony acquired Bungie after Destiny was already on every platform. There's agreements and such being honored that obviously do not apply to any other property Sony owns - in this case Helldivers. It ain't coming to Xbox, sorry man. Buy a PS5 or decent PC.

LordCBH

Sony acquired Bungie after Destiny was already on every platform. There's agreements and such being honored that obviously do not apply to any other property Sony owns - in this case Helldivers. It ain't coming to Xbox, sorry man. Buy a PS5 or decent PC.

Bungie is also operating as a completely separate entity (for now, will probably change in the future given how much they keep missing their projections)

THE DUCK

Have the Xbox Series consoles even sold 30 million yet?

IGN said this in Feb of 2024 - "Microsoft usually keeps its numbers under wraps, but with Take-Two’s information in mind, we can estimate that Xbox Series X | S sales sit at around 27 million units sold".

Top Bottom