• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare, “Reaction: PS5 Livestreams Are No Longer Speaking to the Fans Who Built the Brand”

Fabieter

I'm willing to bet Hulst is as passionate about gaming and the industry as we are.

It's just that times are changing and if you can't manage to adapt, it might be time to look for a new hobby.

Us oldies are easily being replaced by younger generations. It's the process of life.

There is still alot to like about the hobby just to a lesser extent on Playstation and Western leadership definitely played a part on that.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I'm willing to bet Hulst is as passionate about gaming and the industry as we are.

It's just that times are changing and if you can't manage to adapt, it might be time to look for a new hobby.

Us oldies are easily being replaced by younger generations. It's the process of life.

They want us to believe this adagio, but the figures don't support the story. The Western comic industry has been killed thanks to this "modern audience mentality". The cinema industry is on life support, only saved by vultures like Black Rock. And the gaming industry will follow suit (is already) led by the same misconceptions.

Younger generations don't want soulless trash, just like us.

skit_data

The timing of this statement is wierd tbh, considering Astro Bot was announced.
What I mean is that there has been many many shitty state of plays missing anything even remotely appealing to fans who built the brand. Was this SoP really the one that made the author go "Nooo, enough already!"

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

There is still alot to like about the hobby just to a lesser extent on Playstation and Western leadership definitely played a part on that.
That's fair, but like I said, we are going to be replaced. And the older we get, the more distant current trends might become. Happens with everything.

They want us to believe this adagio, but the figures don't support the story. The Western comic industry has been killed thanks to this "modern audience mentality". The cinema industry is on life support, only saved by vultures like Black Rock. And the gaming industry will follow suit (is already) led by the same misconceptions.

Younger generations don't want soulless trash, just like us.
Western comic industry might have been killed, but anime is becoming more and more mainstream.

The cinema industry might be on life support, but that's because people have moved onto streaming services.

The gaming industry is no different. It's all the nostalgic people acting like boomers that don't want to accept that with the internet and technological advances, the gaming industry is changing as well, along with demand from the general gaming demographic.

You can't prevent it, so holding onto whatever was is only going to kill your enjoyment of gaming.

Fabieter

That's fair, but like I said, we are going to be replaced. And the older we get, the more distant current trends might become. Happens with everything.

Western comic industry might have been killed, but anime is becoming more and more mainstream.

The cinema industry might be on life support, but that's because people have moved onto streaming services.

The gaming industry is no different. It's all the nostalgic people acting like boomers that don't want to accept that with the internet and technological advances, the gaming industry is changing as well, along with demand from the general gaming demographic.

You can't prevent it, so holding onto whatever was is only going to kill your enjoyment of gaming.

The average age of their platform is really old. And the younger audience had no interest in consoles so if they fuck over their older customers while still not getting younger audience to buy a consoles than they are fucked longterm.

Astray

Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France
Was just watching this episode yesterday lmfao.

Killjoy-NL

The average age of their platform is really old. And the younger audience had no interest in consoles so if they fuck over their older customers while still not getting younger audience to buy a consoles than they are fucked longterm.
The younger generation will grow older, so that's a moot point. That's why the console market has remained relatively the same since at least PS2.

Fabieter

The younger generation will grow older, so that's a moot point. That's why the console market has remained relatively the same since at least PS2.

The younger audience is growing on pc and mobile where sony dont have anything to say. It's a nice strategy to get your main audience hate your platform while the rest of the gaming audience still wont buy your platform.

Killjoy-NL

The younger audience is growing on pc and mobile where sony dont have anything to say. It's a nice strategy to get your main audience hate your platform while the rest of the gaming audience still wont buy your platform.
Consoles will be fine. Only Boomers think otherwise.

PS5 is performing practically the same as PS4, despite a pandemic, higher price than at launch and a shit world economy.

Some people just knee-jerk to Xbox dying, because that's basically all this is.

Fabieter

Consoles will be fine. Only Boomers think otherwise.

PS5 is performing practically the same as PS4, despite a pandemic, higher price than at launch and a shit world economy.

Some people just knee-jerk to Xbox dying, because that's basically all this is.

Ps5 still has the backing of the old guard, pandemic actually helped them making more money at the time and ps5 is coming of the ps4 mindshare which was arguable stronger than the mindshare of the ps3. People buying ps5s didn't think they would have generic hero shooters to choose from.

Iam big on Playstation since the psx but I don't have any trust in hulst to be a great leader for the gaming division.

Scary thing is with the trajectory of the gaming industry, I could see Sony eventually getting a monopoly on the console market which will most likely lead to them becoming even more out of touch and nonchalant. Who knows what will happen if they lose direct, stiff competition that keeps them on their toes? What would really drive them to try harder?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Ps5 still has the backing of the old guard, pandemic actually helped them making more money at the time and ps5 is coming of the ps4 mindshare which was arguable stronger than the mindshare of the ps3. People buying ps5s didn't think they would have generic hero shooters to choose from.

Iam big on Playstation since the psx but I don't have any trust in hulst to be a great leader for the gaming division.
What generic shooters?

Sony released one shooter, Helldivers 2, which isn't generic by any means.
We've got Concord coming up and Marathon next year.
That's about it.

Unless you want to incl Destiny 2 DLC and HD2, everything Sony released or published is anything but a shooter.

People are hyperbolic af lately.

DaGwaphics

Older folks need to accept that they are gradually being placed in a back seat.

Harry Potter No GIF

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Business follows the money, and unfortunately the money flows against us. :messenger_anxious:

Previous generations of gamers had thousands of hours spent across hundreds of different worlds discovering hidden paths, finding that obscure treasure, and solving some crazy puzzles. Future generations will have spent thousands of hours in the slot machines round after round. See, I'm not jaded at all.

Fabieter

What generic shooters?

Sony released one shooter, Helldivers 2, which isn't generic by any means.
We've got Concord coming up and Marathon next year.
That's about it.

Unless you want to incl Destiny 2 DLC and HD2, everything Sony released or published is anything but a shooter.

People are hyperbolic af lately.

It's a but hyperbolic but bungie was bought, helldivers 2 was greenlit in another era.

Concord is hulst doing and it looks really generic. I think that's what we can expect going forward at least on the mp front.

If success is the ultimate goal, why not just drop consoles and make mobile gacha games? I suppose they'd really be happy with all the success Sony would see from that move...

Well they are looking into mobile, and I'm sure Sony'd like their own Geshin Impact.

Though for what it could do for AA 1P, I'd prefer a bigger focus on mobile than PC.

We went from having fun quirky games, new ips, solid indies, and single player experiences to remakes, reboots, and gaas. I'm not a big Nintendo fan like was during the NES/SNES days, but they have figured it out. Just offer fun games, some nostalgic, some new.

Nintendo's one of the few companies consistently keeping the hobby interesting and mostly toxicity-free, IMHO. Kinda why I don't have a lot of excitement for the PS5 Pro reveal, but the Switch 2 has me quite looking forward to what it'll offer hardware & software-wise.

SH2 remake biggest deal... gives it to Bloober.

Yeah that game is looking kinda rough. I'm not expecting it to be a tour de force visually, but some of Jame's character animations don't look updated from the original game on PS2. When he's grabbing and holding objects, there's no transitionary animation and his hand model looks stiff & unnatural AF during those item close-ups.

It's a bit jarring and breaks the mood. Also I'm still not sure about the over-the-shoulder 3P camera. The original game specifically used fixed camera angles for thematic effect & tension, and adding to the horror. You lose all of that with a standard 3P camera.

The last State Of Play was dominated by Asian developed titles, but people are still unhappy!

I mean Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warriors, Infinity Nikki, Ballad Of Antara, Where Winds Meet, and of course Silent Hill 2 which is a remake of a Japanese game. That show was dominated by Asian product.

Not trying to be difficult or controversial, but I don't see the "problem" being a shortage of quirky Japanese games. I think its a simple case of people not understanding how much time and commitment it takes to make modern games. And now that Sony have stopped trailering stuff heavily years out from release, their first-party schedule its going to end up stretched out with lots of third-party offerings.

For me, it's a few things WRT the last SOP.

1: Basically 90% of the games shown were multiplat. Whether that be PS console exclusive + PC (Steam), or just multiple platforms in general, the vast majority of games shown were not exclusive. I'm not saying exclusives mean everything, but you need more than a single one, particularly among 1P-developed titles.

2: Silent Hill 2 looks kinda rough, NGL. Feels like the budget isn't quite there, and I know Bloober are known for delivering on very small budgets. But a game like SH2 looks like it needed a bigger one. Just look at Jame's hands in those item grab close-ups. It's stiff AF.

3: Now with GOWR PC port, almost every SIE title released since 2020 is on PC/Steam, right before the rumored PS5 Pro. The only 1P-developed exclusives they still have left are: GT7 (likely getting a PC version announced once the PSVR2 thing for PC is released), Spiderman 2 (Steam version probably in H1 2025), Demon's Souls Remake (probably also getting a Steam version in the near future), Astro's Playroom, and Astro Bot. Five games, one of which is kind of a sample. That's it.

The amount grows if you include 3P-developed exclusives with SIE co-funding or co-development, or 3P timed exclusivity deals, but I think most wondering about what SIE are up to are focused on the internal teams and, well, it looks like most are either working on GAAS or working with port studios to bring the games to Steam. Team Asobi's the only 1P who've revealed a new non-GAAS traditional game from SIE since 2021.

I mean, Sony know there is a big chunk of their base interested in 1P-developed non-GAAS titles specifically. How do you go 3 years without revealing something new in that realm? I'd say it's like withholding specific financial sales results from your biggest investors to string them along with MAU stuff instead...sounds like another platform holder, no?

-----------

So while yes, having more Asian games at the show was a good thing, I still think SIE need a better balance addressing the stuff mentioned above. And that's combined with the fact that this year, there may not even be a Showcase. Also if the PS5 Pro is releasing, how are they going to sell it/show it off? Most of their big games are on Steam already; no matter how good the Pro improves them, it can't compete with a 4090 & i9.

I guess it will come down more to focusing on performance uplift in its price bracket vs. mid-range CPUs & GPUs, but is the Pro going to be priced competitively against that? If SIE are focused on increasing profit margins, there's little chance for price cuts on the console this year. That just means the Pro will be higher-priced.

Last edited:
What mistakes are they making? They're one of the most successful companies in the history of videogames.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F331f6809-fc4d-4e8c-99dc-5cf93d7e0d10_1280x657.jpeg

They actually seem to be doing something right.

Creative mistakes and mistakes related to potential ambition, as well as mistakes in better serving their core customer base. I don't care how much money these companies are making; I'm not a shareholder and I'm not a bean counter fanboy for them either.

You can make a trillion dollars selling copies of Bubsy or Suicide Squad, doesn't mean I'll have an ounce of respect for doing so. This is still an art form at the end of the day.

PlayStation isn't concerned with your labels. They aren't clouded by personal preferences when it comes to creating games. All they do is look at the data in a cold, calculating way and come to the OBVIOUS conclusion that their audience prefers GAAS. That much is obvious for any impartial observer to see. You don't have to have access to PlayStations analytics to see that.

Such an obvious conclusion, yet shareholders from Goldman-Sachs are openly questioning a PC initiative heavily driven by the GAAS focus due to cannibalization concerns. Such an obvious conclusion, yet their most recent GAAS has overwhelming dislikes ratio on Youtube. Such an obvious conclusion, yet they've had to cancel GAAS for proven IP like TLOU and Spiderman.

Uh yeah, something tells me they're not working with as much data as some might think they are. In fact when it comes to the PC stuff I now fully think SIE don't know much more than we do when it comes to potential cannibalization of console sales & revenue. Those answers given at the business update (that's basically what I'm calling it) were proof of that.

Refer to the chart above. I think it's safe to say that PlayStation understands gamers and the videogame medium. Shocking right?

You do realize a ton of that revenue & profit came from hardware & peripheral sales, and subscription revenue, right?

Also, weren't you at one point upset about their GAAS push? Or am I misremembering that take?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ps fanboys about to get a dose of reality when they realize a corporation doesn’t care about them
But like the early days of PS3
Paul Rudd Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

PS5 is doing well because of 3rd Party Relations and exclusives and other 3rd Party games.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Gen z cares less about characters and franchises as they grew up with crap throw away garbage shows and movies. They have nothing nostalgic to look back on. Their toys are shows were all shit made to cater to everyone by catering to no one.
What??? Gen Z is from 1997 to 2012. That's a generation of people who grew up in the 2000s to early 2010s. There was plenty of good media being released during that time.

EDMIX

The massive lolz
Just stop bruvs, this type of shit is so corny.

You literally have well over 100 plus million people a generation that purchase playstations, clearly there's all types of people that buy Into the ecosystem to play all sorts of games so this idea of trying to fucking pretend it's not speaking to the people who "built the brand" is fucking hilarious we're talking about the same fucking people that can't even buy enough games to even keep some of those studios open by the way....

Where were those same people to build gravity rush up? The last guardian? Lol

So I'm not trying to be a Dick but you can't try to fucking pretend someone's pissing off or hurting the fucking feelings of the majority and these are the same fucking people that can't even get together to buy those games in millions to even keep some of those studios up..... So trying to pretend they built the brand is hilarious, It's not even enough of them to even support some of those games to act as if they truly are the majority.

The people who help build playstation brand are all sorts of gamers from people who play virtual reality to people who just play multiplayer to people who just play sports games and of course to people who just play single player games all sorts of individuals by playstation every generation to fucking act as if this small-minded group of individuals now suddenly became the majority....

Stop.

Because that math is not mathing and I'm personally tired of people crying over shit with no receipts or factual information to even provide any real data to prove what they're talking about...

Bear in mind I say this as a person that literally primarily plays single player games any of you guys who have me as a friend on steam or playstation network very much can see that the vast majority like 99% of what I play is single player, I'm simply not fucking ignorant enough to believe I make up the majority to act as if I suddenly built the brand lol

No. PS3 was built on single player first.

Read dead redemption.

Last of us

Uncharted 2

Killzone 2

Infamous

God of War 3

Gta 4..

Only cod at the time was rilling the MP space

Ok annnnd the majority of what you listed have MP modes for PSN.

PS3 doesn't move those units with zero MP, for them to compete, they needed Playstation Network, they literally could not afford a generation with zero online MP while MS and PC hogged that market.

So this idea that ONLY COD was doing that is insanely false, especially considering you fucking listed Killzone 2 lol

So Fifa, Madden, 2K, Battlefield, Need For Speed series and many more had MP for online and I don't see how PS3 even beats 360 with zero MP, that literally guarantees they sell less by default. Its even funnier to ignore Motorstorm, Warhawk, LBP, Resistance Fall Of Man, UT3 nahhh man, that is way too much fucking games to ignore to try to force some fake narrative lol

simpatico

In response, many PS5 owners are trying to morph themselves into the audience Sony is trying to attract. I’ve seen a lot of mature third person cinematic character action gamers contort themselves into 5v5 Hero Shooter players this past week. It looks very uncomfortable.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I’m not talking about third party, I’m talking about first party…..Sony used to gets own first party JRPGs

518F8W34dXL._SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
rogue-galaxy-201421092821_1.jpg
81zHIBnnUVL._AC_SX679_.jpg
61EEyJoF9EL._AC_SX679_.jpg
According to some spin doctors here, that never happened, you know. And if it did, "no one remembers them", "who cares" or those games "were worse" than what we get now. Remember to step back in line and be a conformist, Danjin.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Ur right and that's a really good point...

But I still don't like the gaas direction

True, but Sony has always had variety.

I think its ok not to like GaaS, but PS has never been built on 1 type of game in its entire history.

So you can buy a PS and not like SP, you can buy one and not like GaaS, you can buy one and not like VR.

PS is for everyone.

Many types of games exist to suit all types of players. The online focus brings in too much money for them to ignore that install base and it makes more sense for them to allow those teams that even focus on those concepts to make those games and allow the teams that focus on Single Player to make that.
I’m not talking about third party, I’m talking about first party…..Sony used to gets own first party JRPGs

518F8W34dXL._SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
rogue-galaxy-201421092821_1.jpg
81zHIBnnUVL._AC_SX679_.jpg
61EEyJoF9EL._AC_SX679_.jpg

True, but with a lot of those games failing, like that White Knight series, it made sense to just allow Square and Sega to have that space. The majority of that install base is buying PS to play those JRPGs anyway, so I don't feel Sony felt it made sense to continue to spend money on an install base the already have by default from better publishers.

So I'd LOVE to see a remake of Folklore and Legend Of Dragoon, but I'm also ok with their choice to move on from that genre.

The absence of Sony in that genre haven't even made a dent in PS sales over the generations.
I had no idea dark cloud was an exclusive. I should get back to playing that game

Semi OT, they also had a Dark Cloud 2. I wonder if Sony ever considered buying Level 5, but even if they did, their best selling stuff isn't even Dark Cloud or Ni No Kuni, its Professor Layton and them Yo Kai Watch games lol

nial

Gold Member
Sony turning their backs on quirky fun Japanese games is what killed my interest in Playstation. Tokyo Jungle, Gravity Rush, Shadow of the Colussus, the Wild Arms games, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, etc were the types of experiences that I used to look forward to from Sony.
I agree about this abandonment doing more harm than good. They never quite matched the charm of Nintendo and Sega at their peaks, but Sony had charm of their own.
I feel like these takes would have been more valid in 2022 (and you still had a Gran Turismo game early on, something that didn't happen since the PS2 era) and 2023, but this year? I struggle thinking on any AAA Western game slated for this year.
gFHxoRv.jpeg

b6WNvA7.jpeg
IS8slqx.jpeg
tSKqU9O.jpeg

This lineup is everything I heard people wanting from Sony ever since the (vastly misunderstood) Japan Studio debacle in 2021 (PLUS an actual good MP game like Helldivers 2), yet they still hate on it only because of... Concord? Sony is even giving Gravity Daze 2 another chance.
The "Western AAA only!" criticism is getting tiring because we've literally only had three of those so far (Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2). Seriously, what else is there?

Last edited:

Pejo

I feel like these takes would have been more valid in 2022 (and you still had a Gran Turismo game early on, something that didn't happen since the PS2 era) and 2023, but this year? I struggle thinking on any AAA Western game slated for this year.
You posted a Korean game, a game that was announced after my post, Rise of the Ronin I'll give you, and Lost Soul Aside is Chinese vaporware.

Not exactly proving your point about quirky Japanese titles. I'm not so thick as to not understand what you mean though, and yes I'm grateful for at least 3 of those games. I'm still unsure that Lost Soul Aside will ever come out.

gFHxoRv.jpeg

b6WNvA7.jpeg
IS8slqx.jpeg
tSKqU9O.jpeg

This lineup is everything I heard people wanting from Sony ever since the (vastly misunderstood) Japan Studio debacle in 2021 (PLUS an actual good MP game like Helldivers 2), yet they still hate on it only because of... Concord? Sony is even giving Gravity Daze 2 another chance.
The "Western AAA only!" criticism is getting tiring because we've literally only had three of those so far (Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2). Seriously, what else is there?
I think there is a misunderstanding happening here. What you’re celebrating and what he is upset about are two different things.

He wants quirky Japanese Sony B/AA games like the following to make a return:

• Intelligent Cube
  • Ape Escape
  • Jumping Flash
  • Tokyo Jungle
  • Afrika
  • Echochrome
  • Folklore
  • Patapon
  • Locoroco

Quirky smaller Japanese titles like these are what Nintendo still creates in between big releases. Sony has been doing much less of this.

Astro bot isn’t a norm, it’s a rarity. That’s his problem.

Fabieter

gFHxoRv.jpeg

b6WNvA7.jpeg
IS8slqx.jpeg
tSKqU9O.jpeg

So 3 games they don't own and have any control of and Astro bot.

So their real lineup is that and 2 gaas games with one looking aweful. Soo much wow.

nial

Gold Member
You posted a Korean game, a game that was announced after my post, Rise of the Ronin I'll give you, and Lost Soul Aside is Chinese vaporware.

Not exactly proving your point about quirky Japanese titles. I'm not so thick as to not understand what you mean though, and yes I'm grateful for at least 3 of those games. I'm still unsure that Lost Soul Aside will ever come out.
(sorry for the kinda long post)
Astro Bot was announced before the article, though. And the reason I'm listing the other Asian games is because those are still produced by the people at the JP HQs that produced Japanese games on previous gens. You could very well say that Stellar Blade is diverting attention from any other first-party Japanese game that would exist in its place.
And honestly, the Rise of the Ronin/Astro Bot combo is still pretty much on par or even better than some years like 2012 (only Gravity Rush and Tokyo Jungle) and 2015 (literally only Bloodborne), and that's without the CA HQ existing yet!
But yes, my whole point is that the cinematic Western AAA complaints are way overblown at this point, I could understand them in 2022/2023, but what's the deal this year? MUCH especially when you literally have another side of people complaining that we are not even getting enough of them (specifically the "announce something already, ND" crowd)
I think there is a misunderstanding happening here. What you’re celebrating and what he is upset about are two different things.

He wants quirky Japanese Sony B/AA games like the following to make a return:

• Intelligent Cube
  • Ape Escape
  • Jumping Flash
  • Tokyo Jungle
  • Afrika
  • Echochrome
  • Folklore
  • Patapon
  • Locoroco

Quirky smaller Japanese titles like these are what Nintendo still creates in between big releases. Sony has been doing much less of this.

Astro bot isn’t a norm, it’s a rarity. That’s his problem.
The hard realization is that Sony has never had many of those in an entire console generation after PS2 and PSP. What we're getting now is right on par with what we got on PS3, PS Vita and PS4.
Jumping Flash and Tokyo Jungle never even existed at the same time!
So 3 games they don't own and have any control of and Astro bot.

So their real lineup is that and 2 gaas games with one looking aweful. Soo much wow.
You're talking about the company that produced 6 Popolocrois games, 14 Bleach games, and even one-offs like Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories and Bomberman: Bakufuu Sentai Bombermen, all IPs that they don't own.

Last edited:

Fabieter

(sorry for the kinda long post)
Astro Bot was announced before the article, though. And the reason I'm listing the other Asian games is because those are still produced by the people at the JP HQs that produced Japanese games on previous gens. You could very well say that Stellar Blade is diverting attention from any other first-party Japanese game that would exist in its place.
And honestly, the Rise of the Ronin/Astro Bot combo is still pretty much on par or even better than some years like 2012 (only Gravity Rush and Tokyo Jungle) and 2015 (literally only Bloodborne), and that's without the CA HQ existing yet!
But yes, my whole point is that the cinematic Western AAA complaints are way overblown at this point, I could understand them in 2022/2023, but what's the deal this year? MUCH especially when you literally have another side of people complaining that we are not even getting enough of them (specifically the "announce something already, ND" crowd)

The hard realization is that Sony has never had many of those in an entire console generation after PS2 and PSP. What we're getting now is right on par with what we got on PS3, PS Vita and PS4.
Jumping Flash and Tokyo Jungle never even existed at the same time!

You're talking about the company that produced 6 Popolocrois games, 14 Bleach games, and even one-offs like Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories and Bomberman: Bakufuu Sentai Bombermen, all IPs that they don't own.

Did they control those specific games? Or can other pubs just do whatever with the games they made.

Nintendo also made bayo 2 and 3 and they actually own the publishing rights to it. Thats not true for those so I wouldn't count them.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
PS6 should be handheld only, the games need to get these crazy budgets under control and should follow the Nintendo model.
Nah just 2 models. A $400 handheld, a $500 console. $900 if you want the hybrid like Nintendo aka just getting both of those

nial

Gold Member
Did they control those specific games? Or can other pubs just do whatever with the games they made.

Nintendo also made bayo 2 and 3 and they actually own the publishing rights to it. Thats not true for those so I wouldn't count them.
Yes, they did, and it's also funny how you actually recognize Nintendo owning Bayonetta 2 and 3, but already made up your mind on Sony not having anything to do with Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade.
Talk about being inconsistent.
y9qcdqi.jpeg

Fabieter

Yes, they did, and it's also funny how you actually recognize Nintendo owning Bayonetta 2 and 3, but already made up your mind on Sony not having anything to do with Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade.
Talk about being inconsistent.
y9qcdqi.jpeg

So does sony own the code to rotr like nintendo is doing with bayo 2 and bayo 3?

The hard realization is that Sony has never had many of those in an entire console generation after PS2 and PSP.
It's not about these games coming out often, the issue is that it's happening almost never in today's generation. Again, Pejo Pejo 's problem is that Astro Bot is almost seen as on an island by itself. There's no Gravity Rush, Tokyo Jungle, etc. game sitting next to it.
What we're getting now is right on par with what we got on PS3, PS Vita and PS4.
On the contrary I think it has been a gradual decline in number, and we saw the decline speed up once the Vita died, which was the last third of the PS4 generation. It goes to what others here have been saying about how Sony going down the path of treating everything like a calculated business risk (or a trendchaser when it comes to GAAS), rather than a portfolio-builder of fun experiences.

Now where I sort of veer off the road here from everyone else is the fact that personally, I don't necessarily need Sony to provide me with these experiences anymore. Indie devs have gotten better at what they do over the past 10 years, to the point where they have been making damn good spiritual successors and their own unique classics all on their own. I'm just waiting for others here to finally turn their heads towards that section of gaming instead of constantly scoffing at it as they get upset about the larger publishers not caring. Maybe in this next 10 years once we some some pretty looking UE5 games, it will happen.

nial

Gold Member
It's not about these games coming out often, the issue is that it's happening almost never in today's generation. Again, Pejo Pejo Pejo Pejo 's problem is that Astro Bot is almost seen as on an island by itself. There's no Gravity Rush, Tokyo Jungle, etc. game sitting next to it.
That's one way to present it in that I can agree with, but I don't think it's something they have really abandoned, especially since these days we will not know much of their lineup until it's close to release. Was anyone really expecting Astro Bot in September?
On the contrary I think it has been a gradual decline in number, and we saw the decline speed up once the Vita died, which was the last third of the PS4 generation.
On the other hand I disagree with this, PS Vita's dead did not really sped up anything as SIEJ's support on the console was almost non-existent, and it stopped getting Japanese first-party games by July 2014, not even a year after PS4 launched.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Harry Potter No GIF

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Business follows the money, and unfortunately the money flows against us. :messenger_anxious:

Previous generations of gamers had thousands of hours spent across hundreds of different worlds discovering hidden paths, finding that obscure treasure, and solving some crazy puzzles. Future generations will have spent thousands of hours in the slot machines round after round. See, I'm not jaded at all.
They'll know a few battle royale maps well

That's one way to present it in that I can agree with, but I don't think it's something they have really abandoned, especially since these days we will not know much of their lineup until it's close to release. Was anyone really expecting Astro Bot in September?
People didn't expect Astro Bot at all. That's the problem that keeps being pointed out.

How can you blame them for not expecting these types of games when we keep hearing bad news about devs like Japan Studio for example, who helped build that part of Playstation brick by brick. How much grace has Team Asobi been given? How many monetary failures are they allowed to have in today's world? Those are the worrying parts.

Aside from this, you're right, Playstation AAA and third party AAA exclusives have mostly been great. There's just two sides to this coin and Pejo Pejo focused on the side that's not being discussed.

Humdinger

Gold Member
They're not speaking to me anymore. Somehow I don't think they're losing a lot of sleep over that, though.

nial

Gold Member
Well trademark is definitely belonging to koei tecmo
Bayonetta's trademark belongs to...
People didn't expect Astro Bot at all. That's the problem that keeps being pointed out.

How can you blame them for not expecting these types of games when we keep hearing bad news about devs like Japan Studio for example, who helped build that part of Playstation brick by brick. How much grace has Team Asobi been given? How many monetary failures are they allowed to have in today's world? Those are the worrying parts.
Well, your point is now clear, I think I shouldn't expect many people digging through development stuff and all (not a jab at all lol, sorry if it sounds like that).
Let's see if Astro Bot is a wake up call for both parties involved, and I hope so given the general excitement around it!

Top Bottom