• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever import games from Japan?

I still remember my very 1st import game it was Gyoung on the Mega Drive. Miss the days of importing games and hardware, mainly because they came out in Japan 1st

BodhiHogie

Neo Member
I imported a Dreamcast along with Sonic Adventure and Blue Stinger. I wasn’t a Sega fan at the time, but based on the screenshots I had seen the hardware seemed to have limitless potential. When I hooked up Sonic Adventure for the first time I remember thinking that the intro cinematic might actually be a dynamic video of real time gameplay. That wasn’t the case, but it was still really impressive.

What a great system Dreamcast turned out to be. Sega absolutely nailed it. I thought for sure it would be huge when the rest of the world got their hands on it in 99.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Used to buy from import shops. Pc Engine, Snes, PS1, PS2, 3DO, N64 and Dreamcast. PS2 was mainly Wining Eleven as I was mad on Football back then.

Was a nice feeling to have games that wouldn't be available in my country for months or not available at all.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I only ever imported one game, and that was Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System.

I bought it to play with the fan translation. Didn't even get that far into it before I forgot about it, then a couple years later they announced Zodiac Edition and everything I did was worthless.

ahtlas7

I almost imported DOA: Xtreme but ended up discovering how to create a Japanese PS account so I did that and played the free version instead.

Xellos

Only a few times. F-Zero X for Nintendo 64, the European Dreamcast version of Shenmue 2, an arctic white GBA with the first GBA F-Zero, Ouendan for DS, and most recently Ghost Trick for Switch. I also own a Saturn copy of Sexy Parodius, but I just found that one at a mom & pop preowned game shop.

Korso

Does buying play-asia exclusives count? Then, yes. I purchased a few vita titles and, more recently, some PS4 titles.

The first import I remember getting was Shenmue 2 on dream dreamcast. It released in Europe but not NA.

GeekyDad

I'm sure everyone's got this one in their library.

yeUZhtI.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
I imported MGS3 from Japan back in the day when Japanese release dates were many months earlier, not knowing that it wouldn't work on my PAL Playstation 2, lol.

Imagine my disappointment.

cireza

I imported a lot of games. Importing was actually a way to get games cheaper quite often. The first one I bought was DBZ on Megadrive as the game was a fraction of the price of the French version.

NekoFever

I imported most of my games from the late 16-bit era through when PAL games started getting 60Hz options as standard in the early 2000s. Still do occasionally for a nice SE or something that’s never getting localised.

The UK had an amazing import gaming community back then, sparked by how much never made it over here and, when it did, how awful PAL conversions could be. I learned so much and made lifelong friends from hanging around in the import game shops.

It left me a bit of a snob when it comes to retro games. Retro stores pop up occasionally, and when I go there and hear the Green Hill Zone music sounding like a dirge at 17.5% slower I do grandpasimpson.gif and walk out 😂

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I imported MGS3 from Japan back in the day when Japanese release dates were many months earlier, not knowing that it wouldn't work on my PAL Playstation 2, lol.

Imagine my disappointment.
I do remember having a Japanese N64 and it only playing in Black and White as my tv wasn't NTSC compatible but I just couldn't wait 18 months with all the hype around Mario64.

GreatnessRD

• King of Coliseum
  • Naruto 2, 3, and 4 (in the early 2000s before it was globally cool, lmao)
Wanted Wrestle Kingdom on X360, but never caught it in stock. Sads

STARSBarry

Gold Member
A few, mainly stuff like super robot wars for multiple generations, but I did import the Phoenix Wright DS games as they released like a year plus ahead of the official ones for EU.

I also bought both of.

After enjoying the super localised Elite Beat Agents. The first had a few tracks that crossed over but in Japanese of course, the second was completely new to me though.

Awesome games.

UnNamed

Banned
I've bought many and many imported games from Japan in the MD/SNES era, but through a videogame shop that sold imported US/JP games. If you mean "directly", yes but just few items, and this happened many years ago anyway.

Recently I wanted to buy DoA for Switch from Japan, but eventually I drop the idea.

Utamaru1706

Neo Member
Yeah, I had imported some games for my PS Vita quite a while back from Amazon JP and AmiAmi, whether I bought it myself, or via forwarding service.

I remember buying "random" Vita games like Umaru-chan and Ro-Kyu-Bu, because those games were on a deep discount for the deluxe/limited version, which only costs like 1/6 of their original prices, lol.

Sintoid

Sonic, Out Run and Hokuto no Ken for Megadrive(Last one was heavily censored and renamed Last Battle in EU)
Castlevania IV and Street Fighter 2 for Snes
A LOT of PSX games, Final Fantasy 7 US, Einhander, Persona 1& 2, Chrono Cross, Simphony of the Night...

nush

I still remember my very 1st import game it was Gyoung on the Mega Drive. Miss the days of importing games and hardware, mainly because they came out in Japan 1st
My first import was The Newzealand Story on the Megadrive. Good choice as it remained and import only title.

GeekyDad

A few, mainly stuff like super robot wars for multiple generations, but I did import the Phoenix Wright DS games as they released like a year plus ahead of the official ones for EU.

I also bought both of.

After enjoying the super localised Elite Beat Agents. The first had a few tracks that crossed over but in Japanese of course, the second was completely new to me though.

Awesome games.

Yeah, add those to my list as well. <sigh> The memories. Such great games. I could go off on a tangent about how amazingly awesome the DS generation was, but I won't... :messenger_beaming:

Gojiira

Not sure if it was the First game I imported but Demons Souls is the one I imported the MOST, I remember seeing a post on 4chan of somebody praising the gameplay and mechanics, I just remember seeing this grim fantasy with awesome looking enemies. Had to have it. When it then released in the US with Europe being a no go, I imported it a second time. And of course eventually I made the trifecta and bought the European release too when it finally dropped.
Other than that, pretty sure I imported a couple SRW games, vaguely recall importing a few obscure PS2 games as well.

Impotaku

Been importing since the mono gameboy era right through all the gens to now, out of the thousand plus games I own about 90% are Japanese imports. I don’t let people tell me what I can and can’t play just because I was born in the wrong part of the planet. It has gotten better with a lot more games getting global releases but there are still games that stay locked to japan. Living in Europe during the 8 & 16 bit gens was fucking dire, you were tossed the scraps the other gens got years previous.

The language barrier not really an issue anymore unless it’s something with an ungodly amount of complex kanji. Plus nowadays there’s translation apps to help out.

SirTerry-T

I owned a PAL Saturn, of course I imported:)

A modded Saturn with a region select and 50/60hz switch was an awesome console to own.

Impotaku

What sites do you guys use to import games from Japan? Play-Asia is extremely expensive these days.
Pretty much amazon japan only now I stopped using dedicated import places like playasia as I don’t enjoy paying jacked up prices when I can just pay Japanese retail price on amazon. I use a middleman shipper like tenso so I can buy from marketplace sellers too. Bonus is I can declare what I like on my parcels so I avoid import duty all the time lol.

Pretty sure the only Japanese or maybe it was Asian version game that I have bought was 3D Dot Game Heroes as I couldn't find any other version when I bought it

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yes a handful of Saturn games and the 4 in 1 ROM cart for playing Japanese games. XMen vs Streetfighter was one of them, Symphony of the Night Saturn version, Thunder Force V, trying to remember the rest.

A psp with Lumines and Ridge Racer from Japan on release.
Demon soul's US version and white knight chronicles.
Jump for DS.

TMONSTER

I distinctly remember getting my hands on a Sega Saturn RAM cart to experience those import 2D fighters in all their glory. The enhanced graphics and smooth animations it offered were mind-blowing for that era. I also imported a Dreamcast in Dec '98, well before its US launch. Experiencing games and visuals that no one else locally had was an unparalleled feeling. .

My first import was The Newzealand Story on the Megadrive. Good choice as it remained and import only title.
Nice mate . I still remember my 1st Import shop, it's was Ice Distribution, before I moved on to DreamMachines/Dreamware/VGI for all my imports.

supernova8

Banned
I once bought a game called Saka Tsuku

bit like an arcadey semi-interactive football manager type game on NDS.

Needless to say, absolutely shit and I played it for a few minutes before never touching it ever again.

This was before I discovered the wonder of the R4 Cart... lol... yeah I know it's illegal but I swear everyone was pirating DS games back in the day. Along with the PSP, that was probably the last time I remember widespread game piracy (outside of PC) being rampant.

Our local independent games dealer actually stopped stocking DS games because nobody was buying them. Everybody just wanted a DS Lite that they could use an R4 cart on.

Last edited:
I once imported some game from Japan... I just can't remember which one.
... Or maybe it was a controller. I once bought that PS3 Neo Geo USB pad, I wonder if it wasn't a Japanese import.

Aion002

On the ps3 gen I used to buy games from play-asia all the time, most of the times because I wanted the Japanese voice acting on the game.

I also bought many Japanese games before the western release. Also, Play-Asia games were cheaper and used to be delivered quite fast for me, I remember receiving Demon's Souls on Ps3 a week after the Japanese release.

Don Lemon That Meant The World To Me GIF by Red Table Talk

Then with the normalization of psn games on ps4 I stopped buying discs.

Last edited:
Care to share the region free 360 shmups titles ? Trying to collect japanese exclusives but my console is US.
I have only 4, I think there may be more.

Mushihimesama Futari
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou
Bullet Soul Infinite Burst
Espgaluda II Black Label

Also these may have been released on more current hardware (PS4, Switch) or PC since the releases on 360. I have not looked them up though.

I imported my original PS1 from Japan in late '94, bought it along with the original Ridge Racer and Tekken. Had to use the 'end of cocktail stick + jap disc' when I started buying the occasional UK region game when the console finally came out here.

Very quickly went back to imports for stuff like Biohazard/Resident Evil because of the whole PAL/NTSC disaster in those days. Shortly after that got it chipped so happy days.

The old girl still in pretty good condition too:
GV7WpkN.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom