• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you like Undertale?

Did you like it?

• Total voters

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
A few weeks ago, I played Undertale for about 4-5 hours and took a break out of boredom. Today I finally finished it. Could you tell me what aspects of this game appealed the most to those who really enjoyed and liked it? Some of the music was really beautiful, bullet hell gameplay was fun, and if the story had been developed better, it could have been a much more effective game. However, in its current state, it was a game that annoyed me(a lot!) and I was glad to finish it and be done with it. I feel like I've spent 7 hours with a spoiled child. I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

Aion002

I played 30 minutes of it once.

Law And Order No GIF by ION Mystery

But it seemed well made.

Last edited:

Aenima

Nop. Most indie games that get super popular i end up playing them and not like them at all. Undertale, The Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Shovel Knight, FEZ, Hollow Knight, etc. Did not really liked any of these.

Subnautica must be one of the few that was praised alot and it didnt look nothing special to me at 1st but when i played it, i freaking loved it.

Last edited:

Hudo

Ehh... I never really "got it", I guess. I was never able to see why people were hyping Undertale up. It's an OK RPG-maker-kinda game. It's not like there weren't RPG-maker games before that tried to do some meta/4th wall stuff and the like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Guilty_AI

The thing with the game is how you can fluidly affect the storyline, i think some people who went in blind didn't even realize they were altering the story as they played. There's also the 4th wall/meta element where the game would even call you out when you tried to save scum to change certain outcomes, i think it could even detect if you were streaming the game and call it out.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Been a long time but I remember enjoying it. Mainly for the humor though, I don’t recall caring much for the combat etc.

Belthazar

Yes, but not to the extent some do. It's a nice game, with well made mechanics, a good twist and unique graphics... But it's hardly the second coming of Christ some make it sound it is.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Played it on Vita for a bit and then dropped it. It’s unique but it didn’t hold my interest to see the ending. It felt like a RPG that people who didn’t grow up with RPGs would enjoy. If that makes sense.

A few weeks ago, I played Undertale for about 4-5 hours and took a break out of boredom. Today I finally finished it. Could you tell me what aspects of this game appealed the most to those who really enjoyed and liked it? Some of the music was really beautiful, bullet hell gameplay was fun, and if the story had been developed better, it could have been a much more effective game. However, in its current state, it was a game that annoyed me(a lot!) and I was glad to finish it and be done with it. I feel like I've spent 7 hours with a spoiled child. I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.
I don't think I've ever felt such hate for a game with my whole body. Everything from the gameplay to the dialogue, the story, the game mechanics and the humor.. Just rubbed me the wrong way, it was like I was having an allergic reaction.

I just didn't get it, the feeling I had playing it was as if everyone was joking and laughing and I wasn't in on the joke.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Nop. Most indie games that get super popular i end up playing them and not like them at all. Undertale, The Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Shovel Knight, FEZ, Hollow Knight, etc. Did not really liked any of these.

Subnautica must be one of the few that was praised alot and it didnt look nothing special to me at 1st but when i played it, i freaking loved it.
Loop Hero?
Hotline Miami?
Inscryption?

StueyDuck

It was a gimmick game that the gimmick wore off after 5 minutes.

Plus the fanbase made it really easy to go from overrated game to a game I loathe its existence

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don't think I've ever felt such hate for a game with my whole body. Everything from the gameplay to the dialogue, the story, the game mechanics and the humor.. Just rubbed me the wrong way, it was like I was having an allergic reaction.

I just didn't get it, the feeling I had playing it was as if everyone was joking and laughing and I wasn't in on the joke.
Yeah, it reminds me of the hipster era where douchebags would like things “ironically” and drink shitty beer. Like they thought they were winning status and prestige by being in on a joke that nobody else is in on. Makes my skin crawl.

SpiceRacz

It’s okay. Interesting ideas and premise that people overhyped. I walked away from it wanting another Mother/Earthbound.

Paltheos

Yeah, I like it allot. Top 20 or 30 RPG for me maybe. One of the best of the 2010s, which had a dearth of good RPGs for a long stretch.

It's a poor man's Earthbound.

Maybe. I didn't drop Undertale like I did Earthbound though. The former's more inviting by being a more focused experience. I've seen clips of some of the zany stuff you do in Earthbound but I never get that far.

Synless

You know, I loved it. I did however like earthbound that the game is influenced by.

What I am shocked about is the number of “no” answers. I assumed it was universally loved.

Last edited:

Aenima

Loop Hero?
Hotline Miami?
Inscryption?
Did not liked Inscryption that much, but it was interesting, havent played hotline or loop hero. Papers Please is another one i disliked.
From the ones i liked are Stardew Valley, Limbo, Inside, Stray, Soma, Dave the Diver, Journey, Dear Esther, What Remain of Edith Finch, Firewatch and some more.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
one of the best games i had ever played.

Im waiting for full version of deltarune

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It was a fantastic indie gem. Even bought the big collector's edition as soon as it was available on Fangamer.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I played it but didn't understand why it was so well loved. Probably because I didn't play 8- and 16-bit RPGs growing up, so I couldnt recognize what subversions Undertale was doing.

elhav

It's a refreshing game, today as it was almost 10 years ago. It's unique in so many clever little ways, but it doesn't necessarily leave a great first impression. If you have the right mindset for it, I think there's nothing else like it. It's a passion project made with a lot of love, and I think anyone can find at least one special thing about it. The music, the humor, the writing, the characters, the unique "combat system", the subversive narrative etc.

It might not be one of those game I want to replay once a year, but I still listen to its OST, I still remember the little moments, like that snail race, or the dog that smokes dog treats, or the butterscotch pie. And I definitely remember how I felt when I finished it. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but I think everyone should at least give it a try.

killatopak

Absolutely love it.

I didn’t know what kind of game it was, the developer’s history etc. This was around release. I went in blind and was gobsmacked how good it was.

It also helped that I didn’t really interact with the notorious fanbase or the haters.

Best advice is just give it a try. It‘s very cheap and short. You can easily refund it if it’s not to your taste.

Last edited:

Bridges

Really liked it. Ended up doing three playthroughs of it (almost had pacifist on the first run but ended up killing an important character at the very beginning because I thought I had to) and I love how different the story is based on your actions.The whole game is very cool and has fantastic music. Especially some of the meta stuff they get into towards the very end of the game (at least in the Steam version, it's one of those things you can't really do on console so those versions do have a lesser experience I think). Played it again a few years back when it came to Xbox. Still holds up. Ignore the fan base, yes they're obnoxious but in the internet age most fanbases are insufferable anyway.

I played the first chapter of DELTA RUNE when that was out too, but I think I'll hold off on the rest until it's finished. I'm iffy on episode content, especially when it's released years apart.

Top Bottom