• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Diablo 4 - Digital Foundry Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs PS4

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Blizzard's latest triple-A release has finally landed... and it's looking to be in great shape on PlayStation 5 and both Xbox Series consoles. Oliver Mackenzie runs the rule over image quality and performance and takes a look at how the last-gen versions shape up with a look at the base PlayStation 4 version of the game. And yes, of course, there's a bunch of Diablo 3 to Diablo 4 comparisons to reveal how Diablo has dramatically improved in the latest series entry.

00:00 Overview
00:49 Visual features
05:24 Diablo 3 comparison
07:41 Image quality and performance
10:54 Last-gen consoles
12:18 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Visual enhancements over D3 commented and praised
- Praise at the abundance of real time cut-scenes
- Praise of shaders, physics, environmental detail / destruction
- Very polished game, at the same time not really seeing a lot of next-gen features
- No day/night cycle.

- Character models in D4 are far more complex with much higher material qualities than D3
- The game world is also much more complex with much more normal maps and higher fidelity
- D3 had fully baked in lighting, D4's lighting is much better and spells also project light / shadows

- PS5 | SX: Internal 1260p using FSR 2 to reconstruc to 4K. Very clean final resolve.
- Spotting reconstruction is a challenge.
- Series S: 864p reconstructed to 1440p. Looks softer than SX|PS5, but looks fine in itself.
- PS5 | SX are visual matches while Series S can have lower shadow maps, AO and some assets
- But it's very hard to spot owing to the games camera

- All consoles target 60 FPS
- SX | SS can have one off drops but stay at to 60 FPS practically all the time.
- PS5 has one off frame drops a bit more often, but again it's 60 FPS almost all the time.

- The games real time cut-scenes run at 30 FPS on all consoles.

- Last gen: (DF only tested PS4)
- PS4: Targets 30 FPS instead of 60 with severe frame drops.
- Environmental fidelity, textures and shadows drop in quality
- Internally at 720p with reconstruction to 1080p.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
- Very polished game, at the same time not really seeing a lot of next-gen features
- No day/night cycle.

- Character models in D4 are far more complex with much higher material qualities than D3
- The game world is also much more complex with much more normal maps and higher fidelity
- D3 had fully baked in lighting, D4's lighting is much better and spells also project light / shadows

- PS5 | SX: Internal 1260p using FSR 2 to reconstruc to 4K. Very clean final resolve.
- Series S: 864p reconstructed to 1440p. Looks softer than SX|PS5, but looks fine in itself.
- PS5 | SX are visual matches while Series S can have lower shadow maps, AO and some assets

- SX | SS can have one off drops but stay at to 60 FPS practically all the time.
- PS5 has one off frame drops a bit more often, but again it's 60 FPS almost all the time.

Seems like an extremely solid release. FSR 2 putting in work.

FSR is going to be very impactful on these consoles in the years to come.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Glad it runs great. Playing on PC for now, but will likely pick up a second copy for console.

Last edited:
i love you lion GIF by Music Choice

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Props to blizzard. Amazing release across the board...and thanks to cross accounts they got an upgrade to ultimate edition on pc and a purchase of the standard edition on xbox from me.

Gg

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Seems like an extremely solid release. FSR 2 putting in work.

FSR is going to be very impactful on these consoles in the years to come.
My concern with FSR-type tech and what I had feared since these consoles were announced, is that I believe it would make devs lazy. It gives them an out.

At the end of the day, we get a good-looking and performing game, but I can't help but feel devs will put in less work trying to get the most out of these consoles when they know they can always use stuff like FSR to bail themselves out.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
My concern with FSR-type tech and what I had feared since these consoles were announced, is that I believe it would make devs lazy. It gives them an out.

At the end of the day, we get a good-looking and performing game, but I can't help but feel devs will put in less work trying to get the most out of these consoles when they know they can always use stuff like FSR to bail themselves out.

I think that's one of the stupidest arguments I've ever read.

Providing more tools to developers doesn't make them lazy, for fucks sake. It allows them to focus on other things to further raise the bar.

It's like arguing you shouldn't give a construction worker a jackhammer because it makes them lazy. Just make them use a pickaxe.

adamsapple

Performance is priority and they've nailed down 60 FPS on all 3 modern consoles.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
"Character models in D4 are far more complex with much higher material qualities than D3." D3 is ten years old at that point, dont know why this is praise worthy, imo D4 looks rather bad for a 2023 title.

I agree. The comparisson to an old-old gen game is weird. Compare it to other modern similar modern games. It's like comparing Far Cry 1 to Far Cry 6 and say yeah, def improved! Also I know optimized games is rare these days but that should not be a positive. It should be a standard.

HelpYouFall

"Character models in D4 are far more complex with much higher material qualities than D3." D3 is ten years old at that point, dont know why this is praise worthy, imo D4 looks rather bad for a 2023 title.

Oh shut up, it doesn't look 'rather bad' at all. I was riding around the Dry Steppes last night and my girlfriend told me how 'cool it looked' and she hardly notices or mentions this stuff. The art department also knocked it out of the park. It's incredible how many detail went into getting the lighting and atmosphere right across the board in tons of different biomes and dungeons. There are clean cut reasons to be critical about Blizzard and even the revenue model for this game, but some of you really like to drum up complete bullshit to downplay the game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

DF does this all the time. They dont know how to judge graphics.

I mean, they're just comparing the latest numbered game with the last one that came out lol.

Not sure why this is a controversial issue. When Uncharted 4 came out, DF compared its details with the previous games, as an example, regardless of if they were on the last gen.

adamsapple

Wonder whats causing the consoles to fall behind an rtx 2060, no RT and that gpu was doing 1440p native max settings around ~80fps.

It's not falling behind, just different priorities. They chose a rendering method that guarantees locked performance. If the frame rate was uncapped, I reckon it would go to 80, 90 or so.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Oh shut up, it doesn't look 'rather bad' at all. I was riding around the Dry Steppes last night and my girlfriend told me how 'cool it looked' and she hardly notices or mentions this stuff. The art department also knocked it out of the park. It's incredible how many detail went into getting the lighting and atmosphere right across the board in tons of different biomes and dungeons. There are clean cut reasons to be critical about Blizzard and even the revenue model for this game, but some of you really like to drum up complete bullshit to downplay the game.
No agenda here, ill buy the game and enjoy it like I did with D1-3.

Just played Horizon, why an cross gen, two year old, open world game where you can fly sky high looks better than in isometric game is a mystery to me.
D4 had all the possibilities to be a gfx showcase. Slow moving, Isometric view, no draw distance to speak of etc. Particle/blood/ gore effects should be crazy in this game, they don't appear to be from all the content I've seen from it so far (and witnessed in the Beta). Demon Souls PS5 seems to have more geometrical Detail than this, why? :(

GHG

Seriously this game runs like silk on PC.

I've seen that I should also be able to get locked 60fps on my 3070 laptop @4k max with DLSS quality.

This game is going to be running in every room in my home with one single purchase. Jumping between the deck and the main PC last night was so seemless, top tier experience overall.

Also I don't get the complaints about the graphics. They look great for an isometric game.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I think that's one of the stupidest arguments I've ever read.

Providing more tools to developers doesn't make them lazy, for fucks sake. It allows them to focus on other things to further raise the bar.

It's like arguing you shouldn't give a construction worker a jackhammer because it makes them lazy. Just make them use a pickaxe.
Calm the fuck down...

My concern is limited to just FSR-type tech, I have said similar with regard to whatever kinda power you give devs.

The simple way look at it, look at a game like SW.JS, best rez you are getting from it is a native 1440pish at 30fps. They use reconstruction to go up 4K. Or look at DSremake... or Callisto protocol...etc. Do any of those games remotely look as good as say something like HZ.FW? Or Ratchet?

I am not saying what they end up with is a bad-looking game. Nor am I knocking the performance of the game(s)... Simply saying, that from my experience, more times than not, when you give devs hardware, they would usually underutilized it. Especially if that hardware is so powerful or has features that means they dont have to actually spend a lot of time optimizing it to get the absolute most out of it.

Eg... what you will see more and more and more from thrid party devs as this gen goes on... is that you won't see any native 4K game even at 30fps. But you w see far better joking games from first-party able to push native or very near native 4K at 30fps, then use reconstruction for the higher output framerates. Eg.. this game runs at 720p on a 1.8TF console with a Jaguar CPU from 2011.. and you ready believe they couldn't get it to run at native 4K and 60fps on the PS5/XSX? But lets just use facts? The RX6700, basically the PC equivalent of these console's GPUs, runs this game at native 4K@64fps+ Ultra settings. NATIVE 4K... still think it's a stupid argument?
Performance is priority and they've nailed down 60 FPS on all 3 modern consoles.
Not the point I am making...but ok.

hlm666

It's not falling behind, just different priorities. They chose a rendering method that guarantees locked performance. If the frame rate was uncapped, I reckon it would go to 80, 90 or so.
doesn't make sense, if it could do 80 or 90 why not use the gpu performance your not using and up the resolution, if a 2060 is doing 1440p the consoles should be able to go even a bit higher. It's also not guaranteed locked 60 according the video there are drops, yes few but they seemed to be able to repeat it to show in the video.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Calm the fuck down...

My concern is limited to just FSR-type tech, I have said similar with regard to whatever kinda power you give devs.

The simple way look at it, look at a game like SW.JS, best rez you are getting from it is a native 1440pish at 30fps. They use reconstruction to go up 4K. Or look at DSremake... or Callisto protocol...etc. Do any of those games remotely look as good as say something like HZ.FW? Or Ratchet?

I am not saying what they end up with is a bad-looking game. Nor am I knocking the performance of the game(s)... Simply saying, that from my experience, more times than not, when you give devs hardware, they would usually underutilized it. Especially if that hardware is so powerful or has features that means they dont have to actually spend a lot of time optimizing it to get the absolute most out of it.

Eg... what you will see more and more and more from thrid party devs as this gen goes on... is that you won't see any native 4K game even at 30fps. But you w see far better joking games from first-party able to push native or very near native 4K at 30fps, then use reconstruction for the higher output framerates. Eg.. this game runs at 720p on a 1.8TF console with a Jaguar CPU from 2011.. and you ready believe they couldn't get it to run at native 4K and 60fps on the PS5/XSX? But lets just use facts? The RX6700, basically the PC equivalent of these console's GPUs, runs this game at native 4K@64fps+ Ultra settings. NATIVE 4K... still think it's a stupid argument?

Not the point I am making...but ok.

It's not an issue of laziness. It's an issue of time constraints, budget, and prioritizing workflows. FSR is just another one of many tools that help make game development more efficient.

Mr.Phoenix

It's not an issue of laziness. It's an issue of time constraints, budget, and prioritizing workflows. FSR is just another one of many tools that help make game development more efficient.
Semantics.

Its a copout, a way out, a means out, an easier approach, laziness... whatever you want to call it. FSR is a great tech. No doubt, and I have advocated for it long before these consoles even released. Case in point, I have previously made my position clear on how stupid I think it is to invest hardware performance on native resolutions.

But when you can see the console spec GPU, running on PC in native 4K at ultra settings (ultra settings that they don't have to use in consoles mind you) at 60fps+.... I am sorry, I cant look at them only managing to hit a native 1200p+(pre-reconstruction) on these consoles as anything short of poor optimization. And We are already seeing more and more of this show itself in other third-party games.

More efficient? You do realize that this means we could have got a native 4K@60fps fidelity mode and then a 1200p+ FSR`ed to 4K @120fps right?... that same GPU I mentioned runs this game at 1440p, ultra settings at 118fps. Still think this is game development being more efficient? Maybe efficient use of time... sure as hell not efficient use of hardware.

Last edited:

lucbr

Diablo 4 targets 60fps on ninth-gen consoles, and hits that target the vast majority of the time. Series S and X can drop a frame or two very occasionally during open-world traversal, but do stick to 60 otherwise. PS5 seems to lose frames a bit more often, with regular one-off dropped frames in the game's large Kyovashad city area. It's not a big deal in any event though.

Pretty good performance all around, only with a few more drops on PS5, mainly in Kyovashad.

Very good release, glad to see!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Party is priorities. Interesting how many fps lost RTXX2060 when max party with alot effects

Indeed. They likely wanted overhead to avoid.

Would love if DF or some other outlet does a full party FPS check as well.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Show us ANY ARPG that looks as detailed and performs as well as D4 or anything to suggest that the performance you get in D4 is standard across the genre.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean, they're just comparing the latest numbered game with the last one that came out lol.

Not sure why this is a controversial issue. When Uncharted 4 came out, DF compared its details with the previous games, as an example, regardless of if they were on the last gen.
He's comparing a PS3 era game to a PS5 game. of course, it's going to look better. He's like geometery is more detailed, textures are better, yeah well no shit sherlock. This is like when John marveled over a fan casting shadows in TLOU Part 1 simply because it didnt in the original. U3 to U4 was a one gen leap, this is and should be a two gen leap and doesnt look like it.

SlimySnake

Semantics.

Its a copout, a way out, a means out, an easier approach, laziness... whatever you want to call it. FSR is a great tech. No doubt, and I have advocated for it long before these consoles even released. Case in point, I have previously made my position clear on how stupid I think it is to invest hardware performance on native resolutions.

But when you can see the console spec GPU, running on PC in native 4K at ultra settings (ultra settings that they don't have to use in consoles mind you) at 60fps+.... I am sorry, I cant look at them only managing to hit a native 1200p+(pre-reconstruction) on these consoles as anything short of poor optimization. And We are already seeing more and more of this show itself in other third-party games.

More efficient? You do realize that this means we could have got a native 4K@60fps fidelity mode and then a 1200p+ FSR`ed to 4K @120fps right?... that same GPU I mentioned runs this game at 1440p, ultra settings at 118fps. Still think this is game development being more efficient? Maybe efficient use of time... sure as hell not efficient use of hardware.
I have said this for a while but I am pretty sure there is a CPU or memory bandwidth bottleneck on these next gen consoles. We have seen these consoles have no issues hitting native 4k 30 fps with ray tracing, and then as soon as they try and push 60 fps, it all begins to fall apart. The resolutions no longer need to drop down to 1440p from 4k to get double the framerate, sometimes they go down to 1080p WITH downgrades to foliage, level of detail and other graphics settings. Thats typically not the case on PC where its fairly a linear resolution to framerate relationship.

That said, yes, a 6 tflops 2060 in a non-RT game shouldnt be outperforming the PS5. Is it the 2060 Super because thats 7 tflops. Still shouldnt be outperforming consoles that trade blows with a 2070 and 2080 depending on the game. Especially in non-RT games.

This could just be due to Blizzard developing games on PC first then porting games to consoles. We have seen some awful PC ports these past few months because development being done on PS5 first, so this is probably our comeuppance lol

adamsapple

He's comparing a PS3 era game to a PS5 game. of course, it's going to look better. He's like geometery is more detailed, textures are better, yeah well no shit sherlock. This is like when John marveled over a fan casting shadows in TLOU Part 1 simply because it didnt in the original. U3 to U4 was a one gen leap, this is and should be a two gen leap and doesnt look like it.

I think you've severely overshot the point here.

The point of the comparison is to show that it's a definitive generational improvement over the last game while also having much bigger worlds, effects. geometrical destruction/detail etc.

Also, the whole point of the channel is videos like this, what else would you have them cover if not this ? A vanilla video would be just 2 minutes long "Yep, looks clean, runs at a solid performance, that's that".

SlimySnake

I think you've severely overshot the point here.

The point of the comparison is to show that it's a definitive generational improvement over the last game while also having much bigger worlds, effects. geometrical destruction/detail etc.

Also, the whole point of the channel is videos like this, what else would you have them cover if not this ? A vanilla video would be just 2 minutes long "Yep, looks clean, runs at a solid performance, that's that".
I dont think a generational leap is enough when the gap between games is literally 11 years. Thats two generations.

GOW Ascension came out in 2013, if a sequel comes out next year on the PS5 and looks a generation ahead of Ascension like GOW 2018, are we going to marvel at it looking a generation above Ascension?

A vanilla video would be just 2 minutes long "Yep, looks clean, runs at a solid performance, that's that".
Sure. It would get the point across that there isnt much to cover here.

S0ULZB0URNE

doesn't make sense, if it could do 80 or 90 why not use the gpu performance your not using and up the resolution, if a 2060 is doing 1440p the consoles should be able to go even a bit higher. It's also not guaranteed locked 60 according the video there are drops, yes few but they seemed to be able to repeat it to show in the video.
This type of stuff will be the case as long as we have parity with last gen consoles and pc.

adamsapple

GOW Ascension came out in 2013, if a sequel comes out next year on the PS5 and looks a generation ahead of Ascension like GOW 2018, are we going to marvel at it looking a generation above Ascension?

We don't have to marvel at it but you can be sure that editorial tech videos like DF or NX will definitely make the comparison.

VGTech is a different kind of channel with 0% editorializing and all stats so that's a different case.

But I don't see any reason why, in your scenario, that comparison would not also be made.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Either they were really careful with the res and left a lot of performance on the table, or there is a bottleneck somewhere else.

A4PfY3XtVKdAWjkQD9uhLZ-970-80.png.webp

A 3050 offers similar performance at a higher resolution. Granted, the consoles probably don't drop to 51fps but 1440p is also a bit higher than 1260p. A 2070 completely outclasses them which shouldn't happen unless, again, there is a bottleneck somewhere else.

NickFire

- No day/night cycle.

I did not realize there was an old gen version. Was there a cliffs notes version on difference in load times between current and last gen?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Show us ANY ARPG that looks as detailed and performs as well as D4 or anything to suggest that the performance you get in D4 is standard across the genre.
Why do I need to? D4 is by far the biggest AAA ARPG, it's only reasonable to compare it to other AAA games releasing in 2023.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
need benchmark with max party and alot effects, not just in city staying
Don't think that's necessary. Oliver in his video said that the drops seem to occur during open-world traversal and that during combat even with large amounts of enemies, the frame rate stays locked. The PS5 actually struggles the most in the central city but it's only 1 dropped frame here and there. Tom's Hardware tested the game in that city in their benchmark which is presumably more demanding than combat encounters perhaps? Not sure but watching the DF vid, it would seem to be the case.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Why do I need to? D4 is by far the biggest AAA ARPG, it's only reasonable to compare it to other AAA games releasing in 2023.

Because you should be comparing apples to apples not apples to cumquats.

. . .or the game that came out before it. Seriously, this is silly.

Ozriel

M$FT

I know, right? Half of every Tekken 8 thread here on GAF is people comparing it to Tekken 7 on last gen consoles.

Some people just like to complain

Topher

Gold Member
I dont think a generational leap is enough when the gap between games is literally 11 years. Thats two generations.

Sure. It would get the point across that there isnt much to cover here.

So what? He took a few minutes to show how things have changed since D3.

Yeah.....quite a controversy there. /s

Top Bottom