• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Direct 'Special': Worst PC Ports of 2023

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
To be fair i think publishers do take a large part of the blame as they force these release dates on devs, the games launch brojken, then over time those broken games get fixed.

Its still partly down to the devs as obviously they know the date they have to hit possible years in advance.
  • Phil delayed Starfield, Forza and Redfall by a full year. This after doing the same for halo infinite.
  • Jimbo didnt force ND to release TLOU day one on PS5. ND said SOON and ended up taking an extra 7 months anyway. Jimbo also let them delay it from early march to late march.
  • EA delayed Immortals by 4 months. They also asked Respawn if they needed 3 more months but respawn declined and said 1 month delay is fine. EA took the financial hit for the fiscal year after pushing it to April from March.
  • Dead Space was allowed to miss the holiday season as well.

While Publishers do control the dates, we have also seen devs get extra time off from these same publishers. Avatar was delayed by a year and is arguably the best PC port in years. Thats a Ubisoft game. these fuckers are known for downgrades and shit like AC unity. times have changed, the publishers dont want this kind of bad PR on launch day and are willing to delay games by a full year.

I think the devs are simply not communicating the issues to the publishers. ANYONE playing star wars wouldve seen that first cutscene stutter immediately. it happens right at the start of the time. the first fucking frame lags for 2 seconds. this is on devs. id blame the publishers if i found out that they knew about this and shipped it anyway, but the devs 100% know the state of their game. they are just too chicken shit to tell their bosses who are too chicken shit to tell the publisher.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
  • Phil delayed Starfield, Forza and Redfall by a full year. This after doing the same for halo infinite.
  • Jimbo didnt force ND to release TLOU day one on PS5. ND said SOON and ended up taking an extra 7 months anyway. Jimbo also let them delay it from early march to late march.
  • EA delayed Immortals by 4 months. They also asked Respawn if they needed 3 more months but respawn declined and said 1 month delay is fine. EA took the financial hit for the fiscal year after pushing it to April from March.

While Publishers do control the dates, we have also seen devs get extra time off from these same publishers. Avatar was delayed by a year and is arguably the best PC port in years. Thats a Ubisoft game. these fuckers are known for downgrades and shit like AC unity. times have changed, the publishers dont want this kind of bad PR on launch day and are willing to delay games by a full year.

I think the devs are simply not communicating the issues to the publishers. ANYONE playing star wars wouldve seen that first cutscene stutter immediately. it happens right at the start of the time. the first fucking frame lags for 2 seconds. this is on devs. id blame the publishers if i found out that they knew about this and shipped it anyway, but the devs 100% know the state of their game. they are just too chicken shit to tell their bosses who are too chicken shit to tell the publisher.
But what about the creative knitting groups? We need those on work time!

Stuart360

Well i was talking in general, not singling out a paticular publisher.
Of course we do get tons of delays on games, but we do also get games that have hit dates, with no delays, and launched broken.
I mean even CDR on so many words admitted they had to hit that final date regardless of the state of the game.

But you right, both scenarios do happen.

xrnzaaas

I mainly play on the console and Jedi Survivor should definitely "win". The game looked and ran awful on the PS5 and pretty much nothing has changed after multiple big patches. Maybe it became a little bit more stable, but that's it.

It was a really big disappointment. I played the previous Jedi game on the PS4 and I don't remember any serious technical issues I would have to rant about or think about shelving the game for later.

rsouzadk

It did. There is no PC in existence that doesn't have this stutters.

Use frametime graph for a while and tell me you didn't saw any stutters. I tried deadspace on 6800 and few Nvidia cards, it stutters more on AMD and I don't know the reason but Nvidia cards are of course not free of this.
Dunno what ur saying, but i have played it and have not experienced anything like that on the video. Anyway, im done with this. You guys do you guys.

Last edited:

CSJ

Jedi is the worst. When you can't get the game to run smoothly on any hardware (including 3k pc)... something is very fucking wrong with the game. And this is AAA game made with tons of money

I would have agreed with you until I got my new PC, but this is not an excuse nor am I downplaying it's a shit port.
But I gave up trying to play the game on my old PC (8700k/3090) and playing it now on my new PC (7800x3D/4090/64GB@6000Mhz) with no Frame Gen at 1440p) and I'm getting a smooth frame-time graph @ 144fps compared to the awful launch, the patches sure helped.

Yup, a PC like that shouldn't need to be used just to play the game smoothly, but it does run smoothly.
I was using MSI on and off during play and yeah in some places on Koboh (near town?) the FPS drops a bit but the frame-time graph isn't getting those insane, juddery spikes I had on my old PC. Then I could just use frame-gen but I hate the effect it has in this game.
I could also lock the FPS lower to make the graph smoother in other areas (like to 90?) but why. Leave town and forget about it :p

Last edited:

Filben

Hope there's a video with the best, too. I don't want know only which ports to avoid but which to get if I have the option.

Bojji

I would have agreed with you until I got my new PC, but this is not an excuse nor am I downplaying it's a shit port.
But I gave up trying to play the game on my old PC (8700k/3090) and playing it now on my new PC (7800x3D/4090/64GB@6000Mhz) with no Frame Gen at 1440p) and I'm getting a smooth frame-time graph @ 144fps compared to the awful launch, the patches sure helped.

Yup, a PC like that shouldn't need to be used just to play the game smoothly, but it does run smoothly.
I was using MSI on and off during play and yeah in some places on Koboh (near town?) the FPS drops a bit but the frame-time graph isn't getting those insane, juddery spikes I had on my old PC. Then I could just use frame-gen but I hate the effect it has in this game.
I could also lock the FPS lower to make the graph smoother in other areas (like to 90?) but why. Leave town and forget about it :p

This is the fastest CPU available so no wonder it runs much better 🙂 but just like DF said even if you eliminate most CPU stutters you are still left with animation skipping. This game is just a fucking mess, UE4 should have never been used in this title.

Reactions: CSJ

Kilau

Why are these called "ports" when they are developed natively there and almost all launched day one on PC?

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I must say one of the highlights of this thread, indeed the entire year, is seeing just how much certain members of DF, set off nuclear bomb levels of triggering amongst some Gaf members.

diffusionx

Gold Member

People like to put all the blame on the publishers and have since the 90s. I was watching an Ultima series retrospective on YouTube and the way EA meddled in that franchise, to the point of ruin, is well-known. So there is some basis of truth in that. But incompetence goes both ways, and I think a lot of these devs are more incompetent and less talented than ever. Look at Bungie now... can anyone seriously say that whatever happened there is solely the fault of Microsoft, or Activision, and now Sony? Come on.

If the dev keeps handing publishers these shitty, unoptimized, laggy, stuttery games, at some point you just can't keep pissing money down the drain and you have to put it out there. It's just a fact of reality, sometimes you need to put the pressure on and can't give people more rope.

Skifi28

I mainly play on the console and Jedi Survivor should definitely "win". The game looked and ran awful on the PS5 and pretty much nothing has changed after multiple big patches. Maybe it became a little bit more stable, but that's it.
Things have changed. The game for the most part runs at 60fps with the occasional dropped framed and even the resolution is much higher. It's nothing like it was at launch.

xrnzaaas

Things have changed. The game for the most part runs at 60fps with the occasional dropped framed and even the resolution is much higher. It's nothing like it was at launch.
That's good to hear. I played roughly for the first 2 months and I didn't feel like it was in significantly better state when I was finishing up with it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Just tried it again for the first time since the DLSS update on my i7-11700k and 3080 and the 1% and 0.1% drops in koboh are still there. Constant judders and stutters. it feels like shit. just like it did at launch.

Did several runs inside the bar and in the actual town:
1) 4k dlss quality extreme settings. 45 fps outside, 60 fps average inside. 0.1 and 1% drops to 17 fps.
2) 4k dlss performance extreme settings. 55 fps outside, 60 fps average inside. 1% drops to 21 fps.
3) 4k dlss performance high settings. 60 fps average with some drops to 45 fps outside. 1% drops to 25 fps. constant fucking juddering outside.
4) 4k dlss performance high no RT. 60 fps with some drops to 45 fps outside. 1% drops around 30 fps.
5) 1440p dlss performance high settings no RT. same as above. 1% drops to 35 fps 0.1% 29 fps.
6) 1440p dlss performance medium no RT. same as above

There are issues even when the framerate shows 60 fps as animations are still juddery. you can stand inside the bar and not move you will see 0.1% drop from 60 fps to 41 fps. simply because people are moving around. same thing outside. they have improved the average framerate but not the stutters. the game is flat out broken.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Just tried it again for the first time since the DLSS update on my i7-11700k and 3080 and the 1% and 0.1% drops in koboh are still there. Constant judders and stutters. it feels like shit. just like it did at launch.

1) 4k dlss quality extreme settings. 45 fps outside, 60 fps average inside. 0.1 and 1% drops to 17 fps.
2) 4k dlss performance extreme settings. 55 fps outside, 60 fps average inside. 1% drops to 21 fps.
3) 4k dlss performance high settings. 60 fps average with some drops to 45 fps outside. 1% drops to 25 fps. constant fucking juddering outside.
4) 4k dlss performance high no RT. 60 fps with some drops to 45 fps outside. 1% drops around 30 fps.
5) 1440p dlss performance high settings no RT. same as above. 1% drops to 35 fps 0.1% 29 fps.

There are issues even when the framerate shows 60 fps as animations are still juddery. you can stand inside the bar and not move you will see 0.1% drop from 60 fps to 41 fps. simply because people are moving around. same thing outside. they have improved the average framerate but not the stutters. the game is flat out broken.

There'll probably be more patches coming for this game. Jedi Survivor is going to be released on PS4 and Xbox One next year and my guess is that with the optimizations needed to make the game run on older consoles we'll see those improvements on PS5, XS and PC as well.

CSJ

Ok why did you reply to me? I am well aware it's broken unless you have top end hardware.
I literally said that in my post.

Also you know there's like 99.5% more of the game outside the awful performing bar and koboh town ye?

Ywap

Shame about the EA situation 🥺

Both Dead Space and Jedi Survivor are great games tainted by stuttering. WRC is great too apart from the stuttering right?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Jedi Survivor is the biggest oof in my opinion for two major reasons. Performance and forcing you to play as...someone else for an amazing fight.

yamaci17

not so powerful judder

if u're interested RTSS can now inject reflex + reflex fps limiter onto games externally with its latest beta version

quite helpful locking games to 30/40 fps. though some games dont play nice. regardless felt like u deserve to know, have good day and have a happy new year , thank for all convos we had, very brightening and fun discussions with u all around and genuine enjoyment I got discussing and learning stuff between each other

I agree btw jedi survivor is worst. hogwarts legacy comes after that. it seems like ue4 on pc with crowded places is problematic. but frankly, i've tried jedi briefly on ps5 and that bar also worked horribly there. it would take like 10+ seconds for doors to open even inside the bar (from the attic to the bar). all kind of low res textures being streamed in momentarily etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom