• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Dying Light 2 (PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S)

b0uncyfr0

I don't get the reaction over 1080p/60fps. Returnal and Guardians of The Galaxy also use 1080p to play at 60fps and I saw no one complaining.
Alot of people (prob 4k Tv users) had an issue with 1080p on Galaxy, thats for sure. I remember reading how it lacked clarity and was fuzzy looking. Its the main reason i havent picked it up.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't get the reaction over 1080p/60fps. Returnal and Guardians of The Galaxy also use 1080p to play at 60fps and I saw no one complaining.

There was plenty of complaining, but it was a reaction to the number of pixels rather than how the game actually looked.

Topher

Gold Member
Alot of people (prob 4k Tv users) had an issue with 1080p on Galaxy, thats for sure. I remember reading how it lacked clarity and was fuzzy looking. Its the main reason i havent picked it up.

It looked perfectly fine on my PS5 running in performance mode.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

ethomaz

Banned
I don't get the reaction over 1080p/60fps. Returnal and Guardians of The Galaxy also use 1080p to play at 60fps and I saw no one complaining and they are amazing games.
I posted few days ago Returnal as a example that after I moved to a 4k TV it become not good... I can see the pixels or the lack of it lol
Something that was fine with a 1080p TV.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Load times are a joke, 24s on XS and 32s on PS5.

Now we know why the game is 1080p, they just got it running by any means.
But wait, there's still that day 1 Patch coming up. Maybe that will help here. In my eyes thats just more evidence to show they did not prioritize optimization. They set the bar really low.

No way the series console's should win here.

Last edited:

Exanthus

Banned
The damn loading.. geeeez.
I guess this is the problem with games that were in development so long last gen, can't take advantage of any of the new features..

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And how do you think they will sell a game that looks last-gen because it is 60fps?
The lack of WOW factor this generation is mostly because some devs are trying to target 60fps that is really demanding.

I believe choices and higher framerate should be a PC thing... not console.
I agree

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not much difference, framerates are basically locked and he counts the resolution difference at 12% in favour of Series X.
It's probably more interesting for PC owners as that has a lot more options.

yeah, I had the original on pc so probably just best to do that with the sequel. Wish it had cross platform co op.
Load times are a joke, 24s on XS and 32s on PS5.

Now we know why the game is 1080p, they just got it running by any means.
Yeah, this doesn’t sound good at all. seems like a tweaked last gen console version.

I think this is a gross exaggeration. It's true that the consoles aren't powerful enough to brute force excellent performance regardless of the work put in, but from all the comparisons I've seen they perform around a 2080 level or so. Which is as expected.

So that's good enough for roughly last gen visuals at 1800p60 or something like that.

What we've actually got with Ratchet, with a game designed for the systems, is a similar resolution/frame rate (1800p with scaling) but with a large increase in fidelity on top. In other words, a huge difference than when just brute forcing old games. Which is to say, we just need to be patient.
Ratchet is 1800p without RT. Still a great job was done with that game I'll give you that.. I don't believe the consoles are at 2080's level. They're often compared to a 2080, but no games have actually performed that well. I know NX gamer said Death Stranding does but that's the only game.

You say it's good for last gen visuals at 1800p/60. I agree if they were like a 2080 (btw a 2080 could do 1800/60 + RT + ultra settings. The ps5 can't even run Uncharted 4 at higher than 1440/60. Control was a last gen game that the 2080 did am amazing job on with a full suite of RT: the ps5 runs it with RT at 30fps with medium settings. That's not even close. I've bought every single last gen game that got a Ps5 native update and they all are pretty much only 1440p/60 and are scaled back visually from their "fidelity modes" which means they're not even max settings. I'll give you another example: Greedfall. The rtx 2080 would slay that game. Ps5 again is 1440p/60 and settings are again not ultra. Alan Wake Remastered on ps5 1440p/60. Ghost of tsushima directors cut is the same settings as ps4 just has a little res bump. Mortal Kombat 11 ps5 version has to use DRS to get better settings. There are many more examples if I had my ps5 library in front of me I could remember more.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I am quite baffled by this myself.
Consoles are geared towards TV's. Which, I'm sure you know, are typically 1080 or 4k. Maybe it would take next to no effort to implement a 1440 mode, I'm no programmer I don't know, but it's a safe bet that the population using said displays are low enough to not be a priority.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
An AMD 6800 aint ready for Raytracing.
01-nvidia-logo-vert-500x200-2c50-p@2x.png

Wait for Alex video.
Yeah, AMDs GPUs have been pants for raytracing. They need to step it up for their next gen cards and hopefully if we see mid gen consoles they are much better.
if not our only hope is Nvidia and fingers crossed for Intel.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
It has, the 2tflops is 17% and the difference here is 16-17%.
Also we're getting a VRR mode for better framerates, being a last gen game I doubt it uses Tier 2 VRS or SFS which would increase Series console performance even more.
Can you break down where you get a 17% difference in performance here?

Last edited:

Justin9mm

1080p 60fps on XSX and PS5.. What the fuck.. How did they think this would go down well. What bullshit. I was expecting 1440p.

That is enough to cancel my preorder. Epic Fail.

Riky

$MSFT
Can you break down where you get a 17% difference in performance here?

From the DF article,

"Next up, there's the resolution mode which dramatically increases clarity in the image, thanks to a bump to 3200x1800 on PlayStation 5, rising to 3456x1944 on Xbox Series X. That's a 16.6 percent increase in pixel-count for Series X, just slightly beneath the compute differential between the two consoles' GPUs. It is an advantage for the Microsoft machine"

Hunnybun

Ratchet is 1800p without RT. Still a great job was done with that game I'll give you that.. I don't believe the consoles are at 2080's level. They're often compared to a 2080, but no games have actually performed that well. I know NX gamer said Death Stranding does but that's the only game.

You say it's good for last gen visuals at 1800p/60. I agree if they were like a 2080 (btw a 2080 could do 1800/60 + RT + ultra settings. The ps5 can't even run Uncharted 4 at higher than 1440/60. Control was a last gen game that the 2080 did am amazing job on with a full suite of RT: the ps5 runs it with RT at 30fps with medium settings. That's not even close. I've bought every single last gen game that got a Ps5 native update and they all are pretty much only 1440p/60 and are scaled back visually from their "fidelity modes" which means they're not even max settings. I'll give you another example: Greedfall. The rtx 2080 would slay that game. Ps5 again is 1440p/60 and settings are again not ultra. Alan Wake Remastered on ps5 1440p/60. Ghost of tsushima directors cut is the same settings as ps4 just has a little res bump. Mortal Kombat 11 ps5 version has to use DRS to get better settings. There are many more examples if I had my ps5 library in front of me I could remember more.

I don't think anyone thinks the consoles match the RTX cards in RT. That's just accepted.

I don't game on PC so I can't give specific rebuttals, but DF and specifically Battaglia always say the PS5 is around a 2070 super or a little higher, and the Series X perhaps more like a 2080. So that's my case, really, I admit.

But what you're saying doesn't really make sense. Surely you'd concede that even if they're not actually up to a 2080, they're not THAT far off? Because inferring from last gen patches that they "can't" (as opposed to "don't") do more than 1440p60 or so implies a performance increase of something like 4x over the PS4. I mean, we basically know that that's nonsense.

So what's left as the most likely explanation is just that the vast majority of the patches are quick jobs that don't take proper advantage of the systems.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
From the DF article,

"Next up, there's the resolution mode which dramatically increases clarity in the image, thanks to a bump to 3200x1800 on PlayStation 5, rising to 3456x1944 on Xbox Series X. That's a 16.6 percent increase in pixel-count for Series X, just slightly beneath the compute differential between the two consoles' GPUs. It is an advantage for the Microsoft machine"
Thanks. I was reading the op and just saw the 1800p-1944 p number. Which from that number I only got 8% I realize the mistake now.

elliot5

PC performance seems pretty decent? 1440p FSR console quality was pulling like 120 fps with a 6800 on DX12... why then would a XSX be limited to 1080p60 idk.
Odd that PS5 is the slowest to load out of the bunch. It is a native app afaik

ethomaz

Banned

PC performance seems pretty decent? 1440p FSR console quality was pulling like 120 fps with a 6800 on DX12... why then would a XSX be limited to 1080p60 idk.

Because FSR 1440p renders a less than 1080p and 6800 has at least 40% more GPU power than consoles.
Do the maths.

Last edited:
Those are really poor results for these consoles imo. 1080p 60 FPS was just barely acceptable like 5 years ago.

I have an XSX but now I have to seriously consider getting an Alienware with a 3080 or something if this is the way it's gonna be.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can understand why this game runs at 1080p 60 fps on the PS5. It's probably a memory bandwidth issue. The console only has 448 GBps of bandwidth and it has to share it with the CPU and GPU. The GPU is clearly capable of running it at 1800p and native 4k in Guardian's case which means it should be able to run it well above 1080p 60 fps especially with these powerful CPUs. Leaving the RAM bandwidth as the only other bottleneck.

Now what I dont understand is why the XSX with its 560 GBps of ram bandwidth is having the same issues. In both games. It makes zero sense unless the split ram architecture is making things difficult for the XSX too. Their slowest speeds are just 330 GBps. Their effective speed could also be around 448 GBps if not slower.

Guardians ran just fine on PC. 2080 Super is roughly on par with the PS5 and XSX in some AMD sponsored games. Here it is 50+ fps at native 4k. 100+ fps at 1440p hitting almost 120 fps at ultra settings without DLSS or ray tracing.

This is BS. We need one of them to have a clear advantage so we can demean the opposing fanbase. TF is even the point of these comparisons when they are this close?

Guilty_AI

1080p just looks super soft on a big 4K TV. And by now people got used to much higher resolutions.
1080p looks pretty bad on big 4K TVs. It's not so easy to ignore, the image looks fuzzy and washed out.
You've been cursed!
Now for 3 years of your life, all your games will run at 720p. If you try to increase your resolution, your TV or monitor will explode.

touhou-mizuhashi-parsee.gif

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

I own A xss. No it's not one of my main machines but it fulfills it's purpose in my home.

I won't show you how it isn't current gen cause it's not worth the ruckus it will cause.

An nVidia 3050 is as much the same generation as a 3080 or 3090 even if the latter 2 will leave it in the dust. The 3050 however is in a class that's different than a 1050 TI. Generations are not determined by Power/Bandwidth alone.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I own A xss. No it's not one of my main machines but it fulfills it's purpose in my home.

I won't show you how it isn't current gen cause it's not worth the ruckus it will cause.

Good thing your opinion on what equals current gen means absolutely nothing. LOL

Ultimately the software is what makes that distinction, and the XSS is going to get a copy of games that are current-gen only, it's a current-gen system.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

You do understand 1440pFSR is very bad performance....or rather is very demanding depending on how you look at it.
Also the RX6800 is garbo at Raytracing.

When did we become such babies when it comes to graphics
"noooo dun wann 1080pp" "muh choices make me confuuuuusedd"
Would you raise a concern if you bought a V8 engine car that you saw was being locked to 4 cylinders and drove with the same “pizzazz” as a Toyota Corolla? Or would that make you a baby 🧐

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Those are really poor results for these consoles imo. 1080p 60 FPS was just barely acceptable like 5 years ago.

I have an XSX but now I have to seriously consider getting an Alienware with a 3080 or something if this is the way it's gonna be.
From my experience avoid recent alienware too expensive and not that reliable.

Guilty_AI

Would you raise a concern if you bought a V8 engine car that you saw was being locked to 4 cylinders and drove with the same “pizzazz” as a Toyota Corolla? Or would that make you a baby 🧐
Bad analogy, this is more putting standard coffee grains in a luxury coffee maker and complain the coffee doesn't taste high class enough.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

To be fair - until someone compares DL2 in performance mode to a similar game that has a higher resolution/framerate - we cant say for sure it's being hindered.

Top Bottom