• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: God of War Ragnarök - PS5 vs PS4 vs PS4 Pro - The Complete Cross-Gen Comparison

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

With the arrival of the new God of War in stores, we can finally reveal our full cross-gen comparison for Santa Monica Studios' brilliant game. Oliver Mackenzie and John Linneman - with a little help via pointers from the game developer itself - showcase how smoothly Ragnarök scales across the generations, ensuring everyone gets an excellent experience appropriate to the performance level of their console.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Text article:

-

Summary:

- Differences are subtle compared to Horizon FW's PS4 vs PS5 comparison
- Overall visual design is very similar and no real visual compromises on last-gen
- The goal for devs was always to create an experience of "closure" for the Nordic saga on PS4 despite having dev kits from early in development

- PS5 has higher quality indirect lighting and less "light leaking" compared to PS4/Pro
- PS5 uses SSDO, not used on PS4/Pro. Shadow Quality on PS5 is higher, higher still on Quality mode.
- PS5 has extra lights in cinematics compared to PS4 (not Hero lighting)
- SSR and cube map quality is better on PS5 compared to PS4 and Pro
- DoF and motion blur scale based on resolution/frame rate of each respective console
- But base PS4 has the highest quality motion blur in terms of shutter speed. As a result, base PS4 at 30 FPS mode feels the smoothest in all console 30 versions

Resolutions:
- Base PS4: 1080p
- PS4 Pro: TAA based upscaling, checkerboard is gone.
- PS4 Pro - Resolution mode: 1440-1665p. Generally sticks to top end and looks close to PS5 in terms of clarity
- PS4 Pro - Performance mode: 1080-1665p. Generally close to 1080p mostly
- Running PS4 version on PS5 locks out "Resolution" mode and only runs Performance mode near its higher end most of the time.

Performance:
- Base PS4 is mostly 30 FPS with minor drops in cut-scenes and here and there.
- Pro Res mode is basically a perfect 30 everywhee
- Pro Perf: 40~55 fps. 35 fps lows, only 60 when looking at the sky.
- Pro Perf mode is very unstable and juddery. John doesn't recommend it

- PS5 loads in 10~ seconds
- PS4 loads in 30~ seconds, seems long but is faster than GoW 2018.
- You generally don't see loading outside of load game or dying.

Last edited:

Fake

- PS4 Pro: TAA based upscaling, checkerboard is gone.
- PS5: Quality mode renders at a full native 4K while performance mode instead uses dynamic resolution scaling ranging from 1440p up to 2160p.
- What's new this time, however, is the inclusion of TAA with upsampling. This TAAU solution helps even lower pixel counts appear suitably 4K and as a result, image quality is greatly increased over the prior game.

Good.

Last edited:
Minimal effort from DF here. No serious image quality comparison of PS5 modes (quality vs performance) and they didn't even test the uncapped 40fps mode.

We'll need more advanced analysis from others outlets on this one.

adamsapple

Minimal effort from DF here. No serious image quality comparison of PS5 modes (quality vs performance) and they didn't even test the uncapped 40fps mode.

This is primarily a PS4 video, they already did a massive 20+ minute PS5 specific video last week.

FrankWza

You mean post #8 wasn’t enough for you?
This game in 120fps with 3D sound and haptic controls is true nextgen
The sound is phenomenal. Definitely an improvement from GoW18.

Last edited:
zelda know GIF

Glad it's going to be great on my PS5.

skit_data

I noticed some wierd white line on the bottom of the screen just when you got the boat on PS5. Also some wierd shimmering on lit edges of objects when turning the camera.

Don’t really know what that’s about, may be related to motion blur settings because when I turned it down it didn’t seem to happen again.

Fbh

i mean that since im not aiming for 4k i might benefit from that.

The graphics options on consoles are just a bunch of different presets, so no.
The "quality" mode is locked to 30fps regardless of the resolution of your screen. If you want 60fps you'll have to select the performance mode but you'll get the same pre-defined graphics options (so lower LOD and worse shadows) as if you were on a 4K TV

The "quality" mode is locked to 30fps regardless of the resolution of your screen. If you want 60fps you'll have to select the performance mode but you'll get the same pre-defined graphics options (so lower LOD and worse shadows) as if you were on a 4K TV
The 60 fps mode is the way to go unless youre someone who needs values input latency above all else. Honestly, the shadow quality is excellent in the performance mode.

Is tesselation used in both perf and quality mode on ps5?
Think so ...if its not that would be disappointing but the game looks so good in performance mode so i gotta think its there...it adds depth to textures right?

Once you get to the second area the visuals really shine in this. Jaw on the floor.

i mean that since im not aiming for 4k i might benefit from that.
Select performance mode (I think it's by default) and you'll get near identical graphics (and resolution) than the quality (30fps) mode (at twice the framerate and heavily reduced input lag).

The quality mode is absolutely worthless in this game.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Good to see last gen versions not being dog shit like some of the newer released stuff. Sad it didn't take full advantage of the new hardware though, but GOW 2018 was already amazing looking so I can live with this no sweat.

The Stig

ah. thanks

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Played the game for an hour.

Not a huge graphical leap but its an obvious improvement especially in visuals and lighting. Very pleasant with the performance, its running smooth for me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I saw some gameplay footage where the BOY is being teleported to various places with this crows portal effect thing, do they have a comparison of those scenes, see if it takes any longer for the crow wall to dissolve and the new area to appear on the non-SSD systems maybe? Since I could see that being a hyped point like oh look it's only the power of PS5 that allows near instant teleportation to an all new area, similar to Ratchet but just different visually, or whatever, when it's probably pretty much the same on any other platform, maybe with a slightly longer stall for it? Or is it worse?

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

So I cant say its a big disappointment but the load times not being accelerated on PS5 kind of bugs me.

Graphics are more than fine. Gameplay is absokutely aced. One of the best ive played and thats always my biggest peeve when it comes to any game and why i cant play Rockstar games

Edit wrong thread but yeah game looks fantastic and good to hear its looking good on base PS4.

Last edited:
All the character models besides Kratos look somewhat bad (a few really bad). Even the animation is pretty awkward sometimes. Btw, at least in my opinion, the best way to play on the PS5 is performance mode with vrr turned off.

Hugare

All the character models besides Kratos look somewhat bad (a few really bad). Even the animation is pretty awkward sometimes. Btw, at least in my opinion, the best way to play on the PS5 is performance mode with vrr turned off.
Madness

Those are maybe the best character models in any game. Even Sindri and Brock look crazy detailed up close in cutscenes (that uses gameplay models)

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Haptics are so overrated. I turned them off to preserve battery lol. Maybe if the controller didn't have such a terrible battery life I'd leave them on. It doesn't add anything for me. Loving the game tho.
Don't be cheap, get a second controller and a dual sense charging dock, mine are always at full capacity when I get them in my hands and if you really have to game 10h straight you simply switch controllers. The feature in some games is really good and adding to the immersion.

DavidGzz

Don't be cheap, get a second controller and a dual sense charging dock, mine are always at full capacity when I get them in my hands and if you really have to game 10h straight you simply switch controllers. The feature in some games is really good and adding to the immersion.

I have two controllers but I am not packing both and a charging dock in my bookbag to bring to work, the PS5 barely fits alone. She's a big beotch.

Top Bottom