• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: God of War Ragnarök - PS5 vs PS4 vs PS4 Pro - The Complete Cross-Gen Comparison

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I have two controllers but I am not packing both and a charging dock in my bookbag to bring to work, the PS5 barely fits alone. She's a big beotch.
You pack your PS5 in a bag and bring it to "work?" (wtf is your profession?) , then argue against a feature because of your super exotic use case ? Come on dude...

anybody who says series S will hold back currant gen needs to look at this, just shows what a talented team can do with any hardware

To be fair I'm seeing people say that's why it doesn't look way better than the first game. Nothing to do with Series S btw but just the theory that the PS4 is holding it back. Doesn't mean the game doesn't look great though just not "next genish" like it could be.

I wouldn't use this title to make a case for the Series S. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Super exotic to not have two controllers? Bro, quit defending the horrible battery life. LMAO
My man, you are an enthusiast on a forum who's turning off a major controller feature because you dont want to get a charging dock for the two controller you already have ... because you carry your PS5 to your job but im the one to make you "LMAO"? lol.

Its all good, im just having fun... I never had the controller with Haptic Feedback enabled turn off for me...

DavidGzz

My man, you are an enthusiast on a forum who's turning off a major controller feature because you dont want to get a charging dock for the two controller you already have ... because you carry your PS5 to your job but im the one to make you "LMAO"? lol.

Its all good, im just having fun... I never had the controller with Haptic Feedback enabled turn off for me...

Didn't I already say it adds nothing for me? I don't care about the feature enough to bother working around it. Yeah, an office job that is slow, I can play games at it. I also turned it off in Spiderman, the trigger shit was annoying. I get paid to play games, nothing funny about that. It's awesome...

Banned
Didn't I already say it adds nothing for me? I don't care about the feature enough to bother working around it. Yeah, an office job that is slow, I can play games at it. I also turned it off in Spiderman, the trigger shit was annoying. I get paid to play games, nothing funny about that. It's awesome...

some games do the triggers well, but in Spider-Man it was indeed SHIIIIIIT... like really shit. it made the trigger feel like it is a cheap spongy 3rd party controller, and I have no idea why Insomniac implemented it that way.

SHA

Imagine watching df video while you still playing on last gen console ? , it's really inappropriate , they want you to worry about stuff you don't actually care about , practically speaking.

I have played through and own all the big hitters from Sony and i can honestly say the fact this is cross gen does not matter. This game is currently one of the best looking games on any system. There are so many moment while playing i was just in awe. I would say in some areas it looks better than HFW and some areas it looks worse but its definitely in the top tier of visuals. IMO HFW=GOW > Demons souls > TLOU Part 1 > Returnal. If you haven't played the game in person its hard to see from youtube How good it looks. The draw distance is amazing. One area it struggles imo is when you venture way of the beaten path and try to get camera angle to stuff you wouldnt normally see, those area look straight PS4 but everything else is tops.

Last edited:
Game looks absolutely gorgeous on an OLED screen. HDR implementation is amazing and to me that’s more important than 4k or the tiny details, which there still are plenty.

Three

I have two controllers but I am not packing both and a charging dock in my bookbag to bring to work, the PS5 barely fits alone. She's a big beotch.
So just pack a small powerbank and cable. Why the hell would you pack two controllers and a bloody charging dock and take your controllers and PS5 to work?

Bonus is if you run out of phone battery you can charge that too. If you want something specifically for your PS5 controller buy one of these, longer battery life than your AAs and 3x less expensive than the official play and charge kit for your xbox pad. What a mountain out of a molehill you're making.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So just pack a small powerbank and cable. Why the hell would you pack two controllers and a bloody charging dock and take your controllers and PS5 to work?

Bonus is if you run out of phone battery you can charge that too. If you want something specifically for your PS5 controller buy one of these, longer battery life than your AAs and 3x less expensive than the official play and charge kit for your xbox pad. What a mountain out of a molehill you're making.

Nah, you guys quoting me are making the mountain when I already said I don't care about the haptics. It was neat in Demon's Souls but I don't care for it in anything else. Sony is the one who should get the flack for making controllers that last ~5 hours or less two gens in a row.

Swift_Star

Banned
Nah, you guys quoting me are making the mountain when I already said I don't care about the haptics. It was neat in Demon's Souls but I don't care for it in anything else. Sony is the one who should get the flack for making controllers that last ~5 hours or less two gens in a row.
They last 10 hours for me. Maybe you have a faulty battery?

DavidGzz

They last 10 hours for me. Maybe you have a faulty battery?

You must play your Xbox more(lol) cause my dualshocks have gotten a lot worse since launch and I have only played about 5 games on my PS5, the last being Returnal. My experience matches up with this guy, "However, in the last few months, I've noticed the 'Wireless Controller battery is low' prompt popping up far more frequently – to such an extent that the idea of hitting those heady heights of ten plus hours of battery life feels like an impossibility now." https://www.techradar.com/news/has-...ollers-battery-life-gotten-worse-since-launch

In an 8 hour shift at work I have to plug it in way before the shift ends. This applies to both of mine. Also, this is with it sitting idle for long periods of time.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

You must play your Xbox more(lol) cause my dualshocks have gotten a lot worse since launch and I have only played about 5 games on my PS5, the last being Returnal. My experience matches up with this guy, "However, in the last few months, I've noticed the 'Wireless Controller battery is low' prompt popping up far more frequently – to such an extent that the idea of hitting those heady heights of ten plus hours of battery life feels like an impossibility now." https://www.techradar.com/news/has-...ollers-battery-life-gotten-worse-since-launch

In an 8 hour shift at work I have to plug it in way before the shift ends. This applies to both of mine.
I use a long USB-A to USB-C cable with mine.

DavidGzz

I use a long USB-A to USB-C cable with mine.

Yeah, it's plugged in half of the time, I don't like to plug it in because the top of the cord hits my work keyboard and other things and becomes annoying but I gotta do what I gotta do. Like I said, it's essentially a wired controller and if I use the haptics it would be even worse so I turn them off in the console dashboard.

Sorry for derailing the thread, guys. It was just one post and became a big deal because of the quotes, I'll stfu now.

Last edited:

Rayderism

Has anyone determined what the average framerate is using Quality and HFR with VRR on PS5? I know it's 40fps without VRR, but what about with VRR? I wonder because isn't PS5's VRR useless below 48fps or something like that? Anyway, that's the way I'm playing it and it looks good and runs smooth enough for me.

Still impressed that I barely hear a sound from my PS5 even with the most intense games. I have to get within a foot or two just to hear that the fan is even working, and I have the first revision with the smaller heatsink. I mean, the most I hear from it is the beep when I turn it on and the USB HDD I use for my PS4 games when it's accessing.

Has anyone determined what the average framerate is using Quality and HFR with VRR on PS5? I know it's 40fps without VRR, but what about with VRR? I wonder because isn't PS5's VRR useless below 48fps or something like that? Anyway, that's the way I'm playing it and it looks good and runs smooth enough for me.

Still impressed that I barely hear a sound from my PS5 even with the most intense games. I have to get within a foot or two just to hear that the fan is even working, and I have the first revision with the smaller heatsink. I mean, the most I hear from it is the beep when I turn it on and the USB HDD I use for my PS4 games when it's accessing.

I'm assuming when a game is patched or shipped with VRR support on PS5 it basically means its enabling LFC for under 48Hz. When playing R&C for example in Fidelity mode my TV displays around 80Hz instead of 40Hz

GymWolf

I have played through and own all the big hitters from Sony and i can honestly say the fact this is cross gen does not matter. This game is currently one of the best looking games on any system. There are so many moment while playing i was just in awe. I would say in some areas it looks better than HFW and some areas it looks worse but its definitely in the top tier of visuals. IMO HFW=GOW > Demons souls > TLOU Part 1 > Returnal. If you haven't played the game in person its hard to see from youtube How good it looks. The draw distance is amazing. One area it struggles imo is when you venture way of the beaten path and try to get camera angle to stuff you wouldnt normally see, those area look straight PS4 but everything else is tops.
Just for curiosity what graphical aspect do you think it looks better than hfw?

Because i'm playing ragnarock on a c1 and nothing looks better than horizon tbh, maybe some wood texture in kratos house over some wood textures in the open world of horizon but i'm not even sure about that.

sachos

Swang song for the PS4, its crazy what they can pull off with that hardware, after 9 years still getting this kind of quality games, reminds me of PS2. Can't wait to see what they can do when they finally focus on PS5.

FrankWza

This is a good PSA post. those battery packs double life of the battery time and have a charge-through feature. If you use backpaddle mods, you can replace your battery while you’re in there too. There’s a bunch of replacement batteries that double stock as well. Dualsense is easier to take apart for a battery replacement than even the DS4. This conversation is happening in the elegant Dualsense thread as well. It’s relevant to GoWR PS5 if you want to enjoy haptics and a longer battery life.

sachos

despite having dev kits from early in development
I remember having to argue with people defending it was a PS4 game because the devs couldnt have made it for PS5 only since they would not have had dev kits... as if one of the biggest first party devs had no idea what the next gen machine would look like just 2 years before release.

Just for curiosity what graphical aspect do you think it looks better than hfw?

Because i'm playing ragnarock on a c1 and nothing looks better than horizon tbh, maybe some wood texture in kratos house over some wood textures in the open world of horizon but i'm not even sure about that.
The texture detail is on par with HFW in most parts but overall HFW has slight but better textures. Where GOWR wins is the draw distance, color palate (how vibrant and well constructed), particle effects and geometry detail. GOWR environments blend in so well and assets are rarely reused. I dont know how far in you are but there are certainly some spectacular environments as you progress im about 20hrs in myself.

GymWolf

The texture detail is on par with HFW in most parts but overall HFW has slight but better textures. Where GOWR wins is the draw distance, color palate (how vibrant and well constructed), particle effects and geometry detail. GOWR environments blend in so well and assets are rarely reused. I dont know how far in you are but there are certainly some spectacular environments as you progress im about 20hrs in myself.
I can agree on draw distance althought horizon locations are freely explorable most of the times where ragnarock is mostly smoke and mirrors.

But i don't agree on the other things, especially particles and vibrant colors, and if the geometry is a bit higher for the locations in ragnarock, it is also true that the geometry on the dinobots beat the shit out of any enemy from ragnarock, far more than the difference in the environment geometry imo.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Another member of the "turn all vibration off" club

Arrested Development Tobias GIF
Your wives/girlfriends,
Run Away Shiba Inu GIF by Justin

I can agree on draw distance althought horizon locations are freely explorable most of the times where ragnarock is mostly smoke and mirrors.

But i don't agree on the other things, especially particles and vibrant colors, and if the geometry is a bit higher for the locations in ragnarock, it is also true that the geometry on the dinobots beat the shit out of any enemy from ragnarock, far more than the difference in the environment geometry imo.
Some of the bosses are nuts in GOWR with regards to geometry far more so that the dinos in HFW. My point isn't that GOWR looks better than HFW its that they both have pros and cons and are in the same ball park as tops in the league in gfx maybe HFW looks a little better idk but imo its damn close and all this nonsense about GOWR gfx being bad is absurd.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm sorry but those guys are on crack. No fucking way is the 30fps mode on PS4 Pro preferable to the performance mode. Resolution mode is absolute shit and so goddamn slow, it's damn near impossible to play such a fast paced action game with that much latency and low fps.

Banned
I'm sorry but those guys are on crack. No fucking way is the 30fps mode on PS4 Pro preferable to the performance mode. Resolution mode is absolute shit and so goddamn slow, it's damn near impossible to play such a fast paced action game with that much latency and low fps.

the input lag is the biggest issue with this engine. if you lock it to 30fps you'll have a shitton of latency.

on PS5 the latency in the 30fps mode is ~145ms in Ragnarök, which is ridiculous

Top Bottom