• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 PC Re-Tested: Massive Perf Boost on GTX 10-Series 'Pascal' GPUs

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Did someone ask for more Alan Wake 2? Because we've got more Alan Wake 2.

Anyway, Remedy contacted DF to have them test their upcoming patch. This one is mainly for people with Pascal cards. The game saw some massive performance boosts on them. Sadly, Maxwell GPUs still cannot play this game. RDNA1 saw a tiny improvement (2%) Lovelace saw a significant improvement. (5-15%). This is a preview. The patch is slated to drop on the 6th.

• The menu now features preview images of graphical settings. It's also transparent so you can see the changes in real-time
  • Ampere GPUs see no performance improvements
  • Lovelace sees some healthy improvements. With PS5 settings, the RTX 4070 sees a 14% uptick in performance vs the launch version. This is reduced to 6% with path tracing
  • The GTX 1060's performance improved by 45% in the forested area, going from around 18fps to 26fps at 1080p/FSR2 balanced and PS5 Performance Mode settings
  • The performance in The Mind Place is even greater, with the 1060 going from 15fps to around 43fps
  • Still, the GTX 1060 is a poor performer. It has lots of frame spikes and stutters. Even dropping the resolution down to 720p/FSR2 Ultra Performance Mode doesn't help it
  • The GTX 1070's performance improved by 57% in the forested area, going from around 21fps average to 33fps average at 1080p/FSR2 balanced and PS5 Performance Mode settings
  • The GTX 1080's improvements are even greater, going from 26fps to 48fps in the forested area, an 85% performance uplift at 1080p/FSR2 balanced, and PS5 Performance Mode settings. It's now good enough for a 40fps cap
  • The GTX 1080 Ti went from 28fps to 57fps in the forested area, effectively doubling its performance at 1080p/FSR2 balanced and PS5 Performance Mode settings. A 60fps VRR experience is now possible at those settings
  • The baseline GPU recommended is now the GTX 1070
  • As mentioned in the OP, RDNA1 GPUs see big no improvements but they were okayish to begin with
  • The RX 580 is unplayable and unstable, crashing very frequently
  • The GTX 970 has horrible performance and visual artifacts such as flashes and missing textures/elements

Last edited:

Jaybe

Cool, but it’s still a Sweet Baby Inc. joint

d1l2u8B.jpg

LordOfChaos

• The GTX 1060's performance improved by 45% in the forested area, going from around 18fps to 26fps at 1080p/FSR2 balanced and PS5 Performance Mode settings
  • The performance in The Mind Place is even greater, with the 1060 going from 15fps to around 43fps
  • The GTX 1080's improvements are even greater, going from 26fps to 48fps in the forested area, an 85% performance uplift at 1080p/FSR2 balanced, and PS5 Performance Mode settings. It's now good enough for a 40fps cap
  • The GTX 1080 Ti went from 28fps to 57fps in the forested area, effectively doubling its performance at 1080p/FSR2 balanced and PS5 Performance Mode settings. A 60fps VRR experience is now possible at those settings
  • The baseline GPU recommended is now the GTX 1070

Those are huge gains, did they remove the mesh shader requirement or something? Or just make the fallback path more efficient?

Last edited:

Zathalus

Those are huge gains, did they remove the mesh shader requirement or something? Or just make the fallback path more efficient?
I believe the second one. Mesh shader GPUs still gain performance, but it's not nearly as massive a difference as before.

Senua

As crazy as it sounds I don't actually mind this line of dialogue. If anything it's shockingly accurate to something you would hear these days. If anything it's realistic lol.
It would be eye rolling but it's not even her character that says it. It's the shadow version of herself like how Mr scratch is to Alan wake. Like a warped/crazy version of her and it's one line of dialogue. But some people just run with it like the games a woke fest. It's just disingenuous as hell

Gaiff

There’s no vertex shader path so presumably they managed to improve performance in some other way. I don’t think they shared the details with DF. At least, Alex doesn’t say how they managed it in the video.

Zathalus

Is that dialog really in the game? I haven't played it yet but if it is that is some racist shit right there.
It is in the game. What people posting that screenshot forget to mention is that the person saying it is getting her mind altered by the antagonist and she is stating multiple bad things. It is not presented in a good light. It is the equivalent of me posting a screenshot of a Nazi from a Wolfenstein game and claiming that the game supports Nazism.

Is that dialog really in the game? I haven't played it yet but if it is that is some racist shit right there.

It is but ignore the clickbait idiot posting it. The game has some of the best writing and characters in years. Saga the protagonist is not woke at all, she's one of the best protagonists I've played in a long time.

The fucking clowns moaning about that one line take it out of context and try to rile people up. It's honestly a great game I recommend to anyone.

Porticus

It is but ignore the clickbait idiot posting it. The game has some of the best writing and characters in years. Saga the protagonist is not woke at all, she's one of the best protagonists I've played in a long time.

The fucking clowns moaning about that one line take it out of context and try to rile people up. It's honestly a great game I recommend to anyone.

I don't know but I kind of think you are overselling the game writing here.

proandrad

Replace it with slander against a black man and see what happens. It won't be a post only calling it what it is. It would be riots. Seems like prohection maybe?

We would just have idiot woke folk instead of idiot anti-woke folk posting a line of dialogue without any context.

Gaiff

Why is everybody applauding them anyway, they included Pascal on their system requirements and didn't optimize shit for it until 4 months later.
They didn’t. RTX 2060 was the minimum GPU required previously.

Top Bottom