• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 - DF Tech Review - PS5/Xbox Series X/Switch + PC Tested!

linko9

From what I could tell the only real issue with MGS1 is that the audio isn't perfect (and I could only barely tell through my speakers). Otherwise looks and plays exactly like the original releases with the addition of a very reasonable filter, at least as far as I can tell from the video. The higher internal resolution in the emulator they compare it to looks absolutely hideous, and the totally raw pixels in the direct ps1 hdmi-mod capture looks quite bad to my eyes as well (of course would look amazing on a CRT). So I think M2 made the right decision (option to disable the filter would of course be nice, but I wouldn't use it if playing on a modern screen). I think barring a true port or ground-up rebuild, this is close to the best you can expect with a MGS1 re-release. Don't forget they made a MGS PC port back in the day, and it was god-awful.

violence

From what I could tell the only real issue with MGS1 is that the audio isn't perfect (and I could only barely tell through my speakers). Otherwise looks and plays exactly like the original releases with the addition of a very reasonable filter, at least as far as I can tell from the video. The higher internal resolution in the emulator they compare it to looks absolutely hideous, and the totally raw pixels in the direct ps1 hdmi-mod capture looks quite bad to my eyes as well (of course would look amazing on a CRT). So I think M2 made the right decision (option to disable the filter would of course be nice, but I wouldn't use it if playing on a modern screen). I think barring a true port or ground-up rebuild, this is close to the best you can expect with a MGS1 re-release. Don't forget they made a MGS PC port back in the day, and it was god-awful.
MGS1 looks great in 4K on Duckstation with no filter. Each pixel looks like it was placed down artfully.

(I also use Duckstation's CRT royal shader with the “geo” warp effect in the settings cause it's cool)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They very directly call it as something which 'suffers' and looks muddy because of the bi-linear filtering. You're the odd one out if you think it's a reasonable filter.

Should of been something special yet it’s another half arsed effort by a publisher. I hope it has a massive drop off in sales in these coming weeks.

Kilau

Good job Konami.

ourexpectations.jpg

This is unbelievable how lazy Konsmi is!Metal Gear Solid is one of the most loved and famous series in video games history.Hobby Modder make whole new graphics and gameplay for games like Skyrim in a few weeks/months.
A billion dollar company can’t make an good job with their most famous games series.Such a shit company really.No one asked for a Demons Souls like Remake.
Only a good remaster with native 1080 and 60 or only 1080.

Tazzu

Quick question. I have the 360 versions and can play them on my SX, however it is increases the gamma and makes everything look too dark. What is more accurate, the gamma via 360 BC or what we are seeing in the new versions? I understand that the games were originally meant to be played on CRT TVs which had the tendency to darken the image.

RaduN

Quick question. I have the 360 versions and can play them on my SX, however it is increases the gamma and makes everything look too dark. What is more accurate, the gamma via 360 BC or what we are seeing in the new versions? I understand that the games were originally meant to be played on CRT TVs which had the tendency to darken the image.
Absolutelly all HD ports are shit one way or the other.
While missing most post processing effects, the 360 one is the most playable though, at least in terms of framerates it is decent.

Tazzu

Absolutelly all HD ports are shit one way or the other.
While missing most post processing effects, the 360 one is the most playable though, at least in terms of framerates it is decent.
I plan to buy them eventually when they get cheaper since I want it for those the new achievements and it's a nice package overall. As for missing graphical effects, I didn't know about this, which ones are you talking about?

RaduN

I plan to buy them eventually when they get cheaper since I want it for those the new achievements and it's a nice package overall. As for missing graphical effects, I didn't know about this, which ones are you talking about?
MGS2 completely lacks the foreground depth of field layer, and the particle effects are in some instances cut to 1/3 compared to ps2. There are also intances of missing distorsion effects (camo, electricity) and full screen blur effects of some cutscenes segments.
MGS3 also completely lacks all foreground depth of field layers and only has one background depth of field layer of the lowest quality. Motion blur/trails effects are almost non-existant. The blending is fucked up as well.
The are many more issues with these games too.

keefged4

The only viable option is the PC version, at least it can be modded into an acceptable state. Emulation is still far superior though. Absolute trash.

- "Could and should have been much more"
- Limited enhancements only.
- MGS1 is emulation, MGS2/3 HD is Bluepoint Collection version with minimal differences.

MGS1:
- Emulation done by Developer M2. PS1 version running in software with the same quirks.
- Texture wobbling, 30 FPS cap and drops to 20 FPS and under.
- European Pal version is capped at 25 FPS.
- Master collection includes both NTSC and Pal version (why would anyone use Pal version)
- The other versions need to be downloaded.

- No visual settings, no filters, emulation doesn't scale image to 4K well.
- Core visuals are identical to PS1 but up-scaling is worse and muddies image in Vol 1 version. (JESUS CHRIST)
- Sound quality is also muffled compared to original PS1 version,
- DF compares with modern emulation via Duckstation to compare how good it could have been.

MGS 2 & 3
- Essentially same as Bluepoint's HD collection, even includes the logos for it.
- The codec delay the Bluepoint's version had has been fixed.
- Native 720p on both versions.
- In MGS 2 Anti aliasing is different on all platforms.
- Switch: No AA, Xbox: some kind of custom post process AA, PS5 has the best AA coverage
- MGS3 has the same AA coverage on all 3 platforms.
- PS5 has higher anisotropic filtering. Xbox has less and Switch has no filtering.
- Switch's texture filtering is same as Xbox on MGS3, PS5 has better AF there as well.
- Xbox has an odd lighting bug in MGS3's intro not seen on other versions.

- On Xbox, playing the Xbox 360 HD collection in BC mode provides better image quality.
- 360 HD collection has 16xAF, better anti aliasing coverage compared to Vol 1 version (JESUS CHRIST x2)

- Performance is essentially locked to targets on PS5/SX (some scenes are locked to 30 by choice)

- Switch version targets 30 FPS for game play and suffers some weird blurring in MGS2's tanker msision.
- The 30 FPS cap on Switch also suffers from bad frame pacing.
- Switch, for some reason, jumps to 60 FPS when inside lockers
- Portable performance is essentially the same with drops to 20's in MGS2.

PC version:
- Fixed native 720p rendering, no settings menu to change any visual setting.
- PC version of MGS2 has the same anti aliasing as Switch version, MGS3 is at least better.
- on Pc, you can at least brute force anisotropic filtering via the Nvidia control panel or AMD equivalent.
- Fan mods have been released to make the game run at native 4K already.
- Mod breaks the HUD and post process effects, however.
- Additional mods like texture upscale projects are also coming out.
Jesus fucking Christ
I swear I know konami is incompetent and shit but they outdid them selves

Tazzu

MGS2 completely lacks the foreground depth of field layer, and the particle effects are in some instances cut to 1/3 compared to ps2. There are also intances of missing distorsion effects (camo, electricity) and full screen blur effects of some cutscenes segments.
MGS3 also completely lacks all foreground depth of field layers and only has one background depth of field layer of the lowest quality. Motion blur/trails effects are almost non-existant. The blending is fucked up as well.
The are many more issues with these games too.
That's a shame, even PCSX2 still doesn't play them perfectly.

JimboJones

Didn't those at least get resolution boosts? The master collection is worse than the previous release.
They sure did, native 1080 if I'm not mistaken. Pikmin could have used a 60fps bump that's the only thing that was missed, but as you said they are at least an improvement from their previous release.

Tazzu

Still, it's the closest by far. They recently fixed the depth of field issue in 3 (2 had no such issues in pcsx2), so i'd say it's a very very recommended way to play these gems.
No 60 FPS though. I'll give it a shot though, GoW games are much better on PCSX2 due to true widescreen, non-cropped FMV and texture packs.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

A basic screen res boast, no different from MGS 2 and 3. Like Konami lazy and the easy way.
MGS 2 and 3 are the same rendering resolution as the PS3/360 remasters, 720p. There is no "basic screen res boast". On Switch, they can drop down to 20fps in some gameplay sections.

Pikmin 1+2 at least renders at 1080p docked and runs at a locked 30fps on Switch. Try harder next time.

adamsapple

A basic screen res boast, no different from MGS 2 and 3. Like Konami lazy and the easy way.

MGS 2/3 didn't even get a screen res boost ..

And the Switch version, hardware which is much stronger than PS3/360, runs at half the frame rate.

Last edited:
It’s been a little while since I played it but if the game supports auto HDR on SX that might be the issue. If so it can be turned off.

MGS 2 and 3 are the same rendering resolution as the PS3/360 remasters, 720p. There is no "basic screen res boast". On Switch, they can drop down to 20fps in some gameplay sections.

Pikmin 1+2 at least renders at 1080p docked and runs at a locked 30fps on Switch. Try harder next time.
Pilmin is 1 and 2 along with the likes of Zelda SS Ect are just easy lazy remakes just like with Konami and also Nintendo looks to ask full price.

But I get it no one can call out Nintendo

radewagon

Pilmin is 1 and 2 along with the likes of Zelda SS Ect are just easy lazy remakes just like with Konami and also Nintendo looks to ask full price.

But I get it no one can call out Nintendo
Look, man, I get it. Nintendo gets a free pass on a LOT of their tomfoolery, but this MGS "Master" Collection business is well beyond any laziness coming from Nintendo. It is an almost uniquely Konami-level amount of disinterest in providing an adequate release.

YCoCg

MGS 2/3 didn't even get a screen res boost ..

And the Switch version, hardware which is much stronger than PS3/360, runs at half the frame rate.
And let's not forget that Nvidia have already ported MGS2 and MGS3 HD Collection versions to the Nvidia Shield in 2017, ...where they ran at 60fps:

adamsapple

And let's not forget that Nvidia have already ported MGS2 and MGS3 HD Collection versions to the Nvidia Shield in 2017, ...where they ran at 60fps:

In some ways this port is even worse than the SH 2/3 HD masterpiece or the original Zone of the Enders PS3 HD collection before they hired another studio to fix it.

Konami just doesn't give a shit.

Vblad88

I must say I love the presentation of MGS1 in this collection, does great job in emulating original PSX CRT visuals on 4K tv - just as I wanted it to look.

Don’t get yourself fooled that you need anything more to feel the greatness of MGS. For those who still have PS3 around - good for you, but you’re not the target for this collection. Same goes for piracy/emulation advocates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom