• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Playstation 5 Pro specs analysis, also new information

The gain happens when you can run the same game in ”quality mode” at 1440p (or 1080p even) internally and upscale to 4k instead of running it at 1800p and upscale to 4k without any percievable loss in image quality. There you have the 60 fps instead of locked 30.

Also what games on PS5 today is confirmed to be CPU-limited? Just because said game is CPU-limited on PC doesn’t necessarily mean it’s CPU-limited on console. What I’m trying to say is that Sony have all the metrics on this for sure so why not give them the benefit of the doubt? They know their shit.
Rift apart in performance rt as well Spider-Man 2 performance mode, bandits gate 3 etc

And I have said this month sgao, games that have a CPU bottleneck currently, would not be made to hit 60fps, even when I thought the CPU would be clocked as high as 4.4Ghz. That does not mean that those games that peak at 30fps on the PS5, due to that CPU bottleneck, will not have a solid locked 40fps mode on the PS5pro.

And as for any game that will have a 60fps mode or even an unlocked fps mode that has its framerate hovering around the upper 40s or 50fps, the Pro will get those to 60fps.

My issue with what you say is the extremist black-and-white takes you have. Whereas these things are never that cut and dry.

Yes, PSSR will have a cost, sony has said that 1080p > 4K will cost 2ms. Going from 1440p>4K will cost less, but then the argument can be made that the extra pixels rendered with 1440p vs 1080p will cost more than just rendering at 1080p and using PSSR to reconstruct to 4K. But what is important here is, FSR also has a cost (or any other reconstruction method for that matter), and its been documented to cost 2ms on consoles. So PSSR is not adding a cost that is not already there, it's replacing what is already there. And even better, with AI upscalers, over time, that cost will drop.

So that talk of it taking most of that 45% to handle the reconstruction is just nonsense. You also cant say its taking an addition 250MB, when Sony has literally given devs 1.2GB more RAM to use on the PS5pro.

And this is the issue I have with your conclusions, you talk like you and everything that has to do with consoles or game development exists in this digital vacuum. Whereas in practice, that couldn't be further from the truth. I mean we could literally have a situation where 1080P>4K PSSR returns IQ better than running 1800p native. And you will sit here and say that will not free up any resources? really?

Your approach to this is, well if it doesn't have this then everything else is useless (which I honestly think is a very limited or ignorant way of looking at things). Mine is that I have seen time without number that devs go about managing console resources in very interesting ways. I have also seen a fair number of games that have a 60fps mode. Fact of the matter is that there are more games with a 60fps mode than those without. Even Alan Wake 2 has a 60fps mode... and thats the poster child for UE5 third-party games currently. If the CPU was such a humongous bottleneck, I strongly doubt sony would have bothered wit hthis thing at all. I at least assume that we can all agree that sony has a better idea of what they are doing than any of us here?
Please stop defending the cpu people like you contributed to the situation here

Fredrik

Not for me at this point but it’s interesting to see that so many has learned nothing from this generation.

Theoretical specs does not tell the whole story. It’ll be a fine upgrade. And if PSSR is like DLSS then when you actually see it in action you won’t stop praising it.

People didn't expect a Zen 4 CPU or anything, but a 10% uplift is understandably disappointing to some.
Eh I just don’t buy the cpu leaks I thought they would do something different this time because unlike the ps4 pro this will be a much more expensive console

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not for me at this point but it’s interesting to see that so many has learned nothing from this generation.

Theoretical specs does not tell the whole story. It’ll be a fine upgrade. And if PSSR is like DLSS then when you actually see it in action you won’t stop praising it.
If I was a PS gamer, I'd pass on PS5 Pro. PS5 OG seems good enough. But if someone is getting a PS5 for the first time and wants to spend $100-200 more to start off their gaming with the best console version available, thats fine too.

When I upgraded from Xbox One to One X, it was totally worth it. big bump in res and frames, 4k drive, BC boosts to old games, loading times seemed a bit shorter, basically half the form factor etc...

If MS did a Series X Pro and all it did was boost the graphics and RT a bit, I'd probably pass and wait for Series Y and what major bumps it does. The games are close enough to 4k already, probably same 4k optical drive, good form factor etc... And if it doesn't even include a 4k drive, I'd totally pass no matter what. I got 4k movies and dont want to sell X and buy a separate 4k player for $300.

Last edited:
Of course he doesn't, Sony is making a mid-gen and Microsoft is not...

That's why :D
wait a fricking minute...
RpBXxaW.gif

DaGwaphics

If I recall correctly, DF shied away from the "TF's mean everything" sentiment as well. Idk, maybe I missed a certain video where they proclaimed "Series X is better because it has more teraflops". What I do recall them often talking about was that they believed the wider gpu compute capabilities would lead to better results in "next gen" engines, that were geared to take advantage of the extra CU's (This didn't really turn out to be the case as often as they speculated) They were looking at (along with many in the gaming community) a spec sheet that showed a stronger cpu and gpu on the Series X, it isn't surprising that they came to those conclusions.

After all the dust has settled, I think it is obvious that Sony made some good decisions in the design of the PS5, internally anyways. The PS5 has hosted some of this gens best looking games.

It's a completely different situation now. The XSX and PS5 were essentially the same base GPU design which makes the comparisons of any of the specs head to head more reasonable. RDNA3+ has a different calculation for the TF number, especially when considering how that number relates to fps in games. Plus, DF does mention the next gen engines running better on the wider GPUs which has born out in a lot of the games released using them.

If sony is settling for these specs on a premium $600 console with possibly a 250 watt budget then you can be sure Nintendo will settle for much less since they have to cram in everything in a 20 watt handheld AND hit that $300-350 price point.

DLSS uses tensor cores on the nvidia chips which take up space. Space Nintendo doesnt have in their handheld. i would temper my expectations. they will probably settle for fsr2.
With these specs there is no way this will be a 600 console let alone more unless Sony wants it to completely bomb

Fredrik

If I was a PS gamer, I'd pass on PS5 Pro. PS5 OG seems good enough. But if someone is getting a PS5 for the first time and wants to spend $100-200 more to start off their gaming with the best console version available, thats fine too.

When I upgraded from Xbox One to One X, it was totally worth it. big bump in res and frames, 4k drive, BC boosts to old games, loading times seemed a bit shorter, basically half the form factor etc...

If MS did a Series X Pro and all it did was boost the graphics and RT a bit, I'd probably pass and wait for Series Y and what major bumps it does. The games are close enough to 4k already, probably same 4k optical drive, good form factor etc... And if it doesn't even include a 4k drive, I'd totally pass no matter what. I got 4k movies and dont want to sell X and buy a separate 4k player for $300.
I don’t think the specs tell the whole story. Think about how DLSS is on PC. Can essentially make anything run smooth as butter while still looking sometimes even better than native res. If PSSR is that then it can push up both performance and visuals to levels not seen before on console. DF focus on CPU limited games, that’s not the norm.
And as said many times, Microsoft going for a next gen console in 2026+ is too late, far too late.

Kuwitzzer

If sony is settling for these specs on a premium $600 console with possibly a 250 watt budget then you can be sure Nintendo will settle for much less since they have to cram in everything in a 20 watt handheld AND hit that $300-350 price point.

DLSS uses tensor cores on the nvidia chips which take up space. Space Nintendo doesnt have in their handheld. i would temper my expectations. they will probably settle for fsr2.
No way Sony would sell PS5 pro for $600 with these specs, it would be madness.

Mr.Phoenix

So you agree with me then… how do you expect them to get the cpu limited performance modes up?
They dont.

I dont know why this is hard for you to understand.

The target here is 60fps. Most performance modes have that as their target. If a game doesn't even have a performance mode because its CPU limited to 30+ frames, then there is very little the pro will do for that game with regards to the framerate, with the exception of maybe taking it up to 40fps.

Now any game that has a performance mode on the PS5, basically is telling you that it has enough CPU overhead to do 60fps. In cases like those, then the PS5pro is in its element because it can use PSSR, and get the game to run at that 60fps locked while matching the IQ or trying to at least) of the game's 30fps fidelity mode. And for such a game's performance mode, they would probably just let the thing go uncapped and run as at high a framerate as it would allow. I am sure there would be a good number of games that will take that approach.

rockstar should. But they also had the same chops in the PS4 era when they took a year to port GTA5 to next gen consoles and still couldnt get a 60 fps mode working. Same thing happeend with RDR2 on the Pro and X1X. All that 2-4x extra GPU and they didnt have the chops to offer a 60 fps mode.

I also played GTA4 on PC back in 2011 using a PC equivalent to a PS4 with an even better CPU and it just wouldnt run at 60 fps. Rockstar games are very heavy on the CPU.

We dont know what they are up to with GTA6 but its obvious from the trailer that they are going all in on NPC simulations. The number of NPCs on the beach, in the strip clubs, in the hood cookouts, are all leagues ahead of what we've seen in any game this gen. or ever. The visuals arent even the most next gen thing about the trailer, it was the NPC stuff. thats all done on the CPU unless they have figured out a way to offload that into the GPU.

can they do it? sure. they are the one studio that can, but they have shown before that they cant so i wouldnt hold my breath.

And the PS5 cpu acts like a zen+ cpu. its even weaker than the 8 core 16 thread zen 2 CPUs like the 3700x. to the tune of like 50-60%. its why starfield and gotham knights never got patched on consoles even after the performance was improved on PCs for Zen 2 cpus. going to zen 4 wouldve removed that bottleneck.
Or zen 5

They dont.

I dont know why this is hard for you to understand.

The target here is 60fps. Most performance modes have that as their target. If a game doesn't even have a performance mode because its CPU limited to 30+ frames, then there is very little the pro will do for that game with regards to the framerate, with the exception of maybe taking it up to 40fps.

Now any game that has a performance mode on the PS5, basically is telling you that it has enough CPU overhead to do 60fps. In cases like those, then the PS5pro is in its element because it can use PSSR, and get the game to run at that 60fps locked while matching the IQ or trying to at least) of the game's 30fps fidelity mode. And for such a game's performance mode, they would probably just let the thing go uncapped and run as at high a framerate as it would allow. I am sure there would be a good number of games that will take that approach.
So you weren’t disputing what I said how disappointing this would be if true the expectation literally everyone had go back even 1 month on speculation threads was to just run everything the ps5 did at 30 but at 60 instead of 60-120 remember my phrase do 2x what the ps5 did and anything else was a bonus and your calling this next gen expectations????? If the ps6 could only do 2x the ps5 it would be the arguably the worst console in all of history

Mr.Phoenix

So you weren’t disputing what I said how disappointing this would be if true the expectation literally everyone had go back even 1 month on speculation threads was to just run everything the ps5 did at 30 but at 60 instead of 60-120 remember my phrase do 2x what the ps5 did and anything else was a bonus and your calling this next gen expectations????? If the ps6 could only do 2x the ps5 it would be the arguably the worst console in all of history
wtf are you saying?

You are absolutely correct, but their all-in one zen3 APUs (Ryzen 5) generally roll with 4-8 CPU cores and no more than 8 CUs for graphics. An additional 52 GPU CU are also going to make for a big chip which pushes a lot of heat. Something has to give. We haven't seen massive IPC or clock speed gains from Zen2 through Zen4. Zen5 looks like the biggest jumps since Zen1 to Zen2 but you won't be using Zen5 in any chip coming out in the next 18 months unless you want massive shortages and high cost.
Was really hoping for zen 5 in the pro they got half of what I was hoping for being Rdna 4

Ashamam

When could we expect the official announcement of trinity ?
The original consensus was September announcement and November release, but I think there was some talk in the last day or so about the release being perhaps in fall (spring for me). Therefore the announcement in July. Safe to say its soon'ish'(tm) though.

I can edit! Membership has its perks.

Last edited:

foamdino

If I recall correctly, DF shied away from the "TF's mean everything" sentiment as well. Idk, maybe I missed a certain video where they proclaimed "Series X is better because it has more teraflops". What I do recall them often talking about was that they believed the wider gpu compute capabilities would lead to better results in "next gen" engines, that were geared to take advantage of the extra CU's (This didn't really turn out to be the case as often as they speculated) They were looking at (along with many in the gaming community) a spec sheet that showed a stronger cpu and gpu on the Series X, it isn't surprising that they came to those conclusions.

After all the dust has settled, I think it is obvious that Sony made some good decisions in the design of the PS5, internally anyways. The PS5 has hosted some of this gens best looking games.
DF interviewed Cerny about the road to PS5 video and questioned him about TFs. At the time he explained (correctly) that the theoretical measurement is rubbish as it is literally measuring every gate in the GPU flipping state (back and forth from 0->1, 1->0) at every clock cycle - no game engine ever does that, it is essentially a completely pointless, measurement of how rapidly the system can waste energy.

DF heavily pushed the idea that XBox was a better architecture due to having more CUs == more TFs. Ignoring the fact that more CUs need to be fed data to actually get any work out of them. In this video, DF are stating that Cerny has walked back on his narrow/fast design to go with wide/slower in the Pro - not so subtly indicating that Series X is better designed for "future looking titles, and Sony have now come around to the same conclusion" - it's over simplifying a huge number of design considerations made in 2017-2018 and pushing that their preferred platform (XBox) is better.

DF used to be interesting, but these days it really is difficult to watch some of the obviously naked partisan coverage - I expect after the Pro launches (something DF think is not worth having at all), that the comparisons will be between a Pro and whatever top of the line nvidia ada card is available. Comparisons for the Pro should be between Pro and Series X (since apparently that is MS Pro console this gen).

> Mark Cerny counters. "I think you're asking what happens if there is a piece of code intentionally written so that every transistor (or the maximum number of transistors possible) in the CPU and GPU flip on every cycle. < https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-the-mark-cerny-tech-deep-dive

Zathalus

The DF crew doesn't seem adverse to the idea. Also as pointed out by others,if the DF crew can accept the Series S with its shortcomings,why can't they and any naysayer accept the Pro as it has the opposite problem of the Series S.
The only time they made an article about 'Pro' consoles they said they were unlikely but if it was to happen it would likely include RT improvements and a focus on ML. Nowhere have they ever stated they think an enhanced console from either Xbox or Playstation is needed. As for the Xbox Series S, they have been far more critical of the memory shortcomings as time has gone by.

I'm pretty sure this is one of those supposed things that totally happened that pop up on this forum about DF and then when challenged for proof nobody can mysteriously provide it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

I don’t give a damn about the graphics getting major bumps. I want 60fps for games instead of 30 or 45… ray tracing for is a mistake for consoles this gen imho.

Brigandier

So PSSR is hardware based and there will be a PSSR core inside each of the 60 CUs on the GPU? Or did I understand that totally wrong in the DF video?

If so does that mean Sony have potentially made something that can rival DLSS? I hope so it'll certainly make IQ pop!!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
VRS is, i guess, silently doing its job for Xbox, improving fps stability while staying invisible to us.

sony bespoke solutions always comes with a lot of buzz but turns out to be nothing above other solutions, such as vrs which sony now, as seen by DF, prouds to list down as a new ps5 pro capabilities....
It is one line in the developer docs stating that, on top of MRRT (implied) you now also have VRS. Period.

Nothin bespoke, only bespoke thing I see is the unwarranted console warring you are bringing here (bolded) :p.

buenoblue

If you put a graphics card that is 50%/60% better into any PC and don't upgrade the CPU I guarantee you will get much better frame rates. I've seen it and done it time and time again.

Why people think this would be different in the PS5 I'm not sure 🤷‍♂️

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
CPU also affects doing more raytracing… we have been through this bullcrap before when I was saying it was a travesty the base ps5 used zen 2 instead of zen 3 its gonna be even worse here
I think you are exaggerating here (CPU limitations of the base consoles based on PC benchmarks and in general are being oversold, this generation has much better general purpose performance wise CPU cores compared to PC than previous generations PS2 and beyond for sure had).

The biggest cost on the CPU side is the setup for RT (unless the BVH setup is moved to the GPU too, which it might now), for games that already use RT the cost to be paid to push it harder is on the GPU where we have RT portion of the rendering tasks running 2-4 times faster.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The more I look into this it looks like the bulk of all the upgrades will be due to CU count increase and going for a wide GPU.

I can't wait to see this thing in action because my brain can't work out how we can actually see any performance increase in games(outside of frame generation) Only resolution and raytracing as surely the cpu is going to be eaten up even more handling the increased raytracing or PSSR?

This digital foundry video has been really good tbh imo as it really dives into why the minor upgrades vs the pa4 pro are kind of out of Sonys hands. I think the only thing that is maybe biting sony here is their initial decision with power management on the ps5. The more significant issue is pure science and physics. Moving from 7nm to 6 is nothing like going from 28 to 16 like ps4 pro and one x.

Ashamam

Nothin bespoke, only bespoke thing I see is the unwarranted console warring you are bringing here (bolded)
Comes with the architectural changes was my understanding. With the PS5 it would have been an addon, with the Pro its standard fare. DF alluded to this somewhere in the recent special.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
With upscaling, why not?
… and again PS5 does it at $399 for a new unit all inclusive hehe ;). Still, nobody is under an illusion that PS5 at $399 is matching performance of much more expensive PC HW even after including the inefficiencies inherent in an open highly abstracted platform vs closed specs low level access you can use on consoles.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The one thing I hope sony abs MS learn from all this.

Please, in the ps6 or next box....find a way to put an X3D chip in a console. If they can somehow get a 7800X3d into next gen we will all be eternally great full. Thanks in advance.

well, unpatched id say definitely not, but if they use PSSR as well, i think it will help quite a bit. now if this particular section is purely CPU bottleneck then of course not.
It's clearly heavily GPU limited in that pic with alphas. It's a FF game, it's not CPU limited. We have seen this in FF15 (open-world game) running at a pretty good 60fps on Zen 2 CPUs.
The clock decrease is tiny though
Yes 1% loss of performance is nothing (33TF instead of 33.5TF). I think all developers will use the 10% CPU boost.

There is no way PS5 Pro is on 6nm and uses RDNA3, I refuse to believe this nonsense conjecture from DF
Yes that was complete nonsense from them, FUD even. Nothing screams RDNA3 here. Not the CU / shader array count (which does not exist on RDNA3), not the Sony RT claims (linked with RT Cerny patent they never mentionned), not the AI numbers not possible on RDNA3, etc. Everything screams something >RDNA3.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The one thing I hope sony abs MS learn from all this.

Please, in the ps6 or next box....find a way to put an X3D chip in a console. If they can somehow get a 7800X3d into next gen we will all be eternally great full. Thanks in advance.
XSX2 and PS6 will have a much better CPU setup, think Jaguar to Zen 2. Whether it will not be as big as the GPU jump, well, that should be obvious but they will be balanced for each other.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Doesn't it matter how much money the individual has though? Kinda weird to box Playstation gamers into one box.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes that was complete nonsense from them, FUD even. Nothing screams RDNA3 here. Not the CU / shader array count (which does not exist on RDNA3), not the Sony RT claims (linked with RT Cerny patent they never mentionned), not the AI numbers not possible on RDNA3, etc. Everything screams something >RDNA3.

It is a custom solution with elements from RDNA3 and RDNA4 ported by AMD to the manufacturing node Sony has chosen. It is very very very likely this is manufactured using the same process as PS5 Slim as that is how they normally kind of get the Slim revision for free almost. I expected some parts to still be based on the custom RDNA2 release they had so no VRS, but color me surprised.

DF’s bias does show as they put a lot of emphasis on its RDNA3 roots over its RDNA4 features set (RDNA3 was not a very popular upgrade) instead of describing it as a hybrid between the two like PS4 Pro was between Polaris and Vega, but it is semantics. Leadbetter and Battaglia were not going to be that excited about anything PS5 Pro could have been or not. How long did the latter put down PS5 RT capabilities as not being real or something for (endlessly debating on the meaning of “HW accelerated”)? Not as real as what Xbox was going to bring to the table or something 😂.

Last edited:
While I'm going to buy one, a part of me does wonder why they didn't just go for 4 - 5nm and just deal with the extra costs to allow a bigger leap in performance? I mean its a Pro console, the target market is willing to spend more money for a Pro version.

Yeah the ray tracing and new machine learning upscaling will be nice, but a 45% improvement in GPU rasterization performance and only a modest clock boost for the CPU in the special mode is extremely dissapointing. It almost feels like the Pro won't have a standard boost mode to improve all games that don't have a Pro patch.

It is clearly the 6nm process node that is limiting the Pro. I don't mind that its still using Zen 2, but the 10% boost in clock speed is not enough for CPU bound games.

Also, the fact that the GPU will be clocked lower than vanilla PS5 for Pro patched games is very strange. I would have expected at least a slight GPU clock boost.

I am a huge fan of Mark Cerny, but this is not his best work. The only thing that excites me is their version of DLSS.

Last edited:

FireFly

Forget DLSS, PSSR has its own dedicated compute as compared to FSR on the PS5. So by definition in comparison to the standard machine it does free up resources. How much and what can be done with that headroom remains to be seen.
If they're relying on WMMA, then that still uses the existing ALUs.

Top Bottom