• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Playstation 5 Pro specs analysis, also new information

Glad they touched upon the lower clocks which goes against Cerny's previous philosophy. Strange that he didn't opt for less CUs clocked higher.

I mean if there is a downclock it's like 2.23 Ghz to 2.18 Ghz

I would say it's pretty minor.

We are talking 2%

Probably they thought that having more CUs (60 vs 54) was more important for the ray tracing upgrades they are pushing for this thing

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1.2GB more RAM available for developers though. I assume it is the same solution as the PS4 Pro, dedicated memory pool for the OS.

The PS4 Pro's extra 500MB RAM was mostly just used to render a 4K front-end if I recall correctly, games barely got any more usage out of it, if any.

On the One X, they actually added 4GB RAM (went from 8 to 12) so that was a genuine-ass upgrade over the aged Xbox One.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
DF seem a bit meh on the PRO.
This was a bit of a hype crushing video.
but, I've already sold the PS5 and will replace it with the PRO model eventually.
To be fair, what is tangible and easy to calculate isn't too impressive. Stuff like PSSR and better ML are the big selling points but it's impossible to tell how they will fare for now. I'm confident it'll be a nice improvement though.

Elios83

Pro will unlock a new level of ray tracing effects and performance on consoles and the AI upscaler will get rid of all the limits of FSR/FSR2/traditional upscaling.
Things like GT7 with real time ray tracing or FF7 Rebirth looking like quality mode at 60fps will be possible.
That's enough reasons to be excited for me.
CPU being almost the same is expected, it's a mid gen gen upgrade not a new platform, switching to new cores would increase R&D costs, time to market and create possible BC issues. Not worth it for a few CPU limited games.

Written article: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...aystation-5-pro-the-most-powerful-console-yet

----------

Rich doesn´t sound too excited in this article...
Microsoft won't have a similar product this year "pie_tears_joy: if they had a similar product ready they would be as excited as they were for Series S, VRS, VRR, RDNA2 full feature list and all the rest of the bullshit that now is dead and buried.

Crayon

The ps4 pro bumped the regs out of the $400 spot down to $300. If this could do that, it would definitely be a good upgrade. If this comes in at $600... it sounds borderline.

I'm not a computer scientist like many here though, so I don't know what it's really going to do. One factor is that when the ps4 pro came out, games were generally running very nicely on the base ps4. Right now, we are seeing games get a little raggedy on the base ps5. That makes this more appealing in an unfortunate way.

To be fair, what is tangible and easy to calculate isn't too impressive. Stuff like PSSR and better ML are the big selling points but it's impossible to tell how they will fare for now. I'm confident it'll be a nice improvement though.
I've been comparing these specs to my rtx 4070. If PSSR can do something similar to what DLSS can achieve and 30FPS is the limit. Then many of the games will have all the bells and whistles available.

THE:MILKMAN

I mean if there is a downclock it's like 2.23 Ghz to 2.18 Ghz

I would say it's pretty minor.

We are talking 2%

Probably they thought that having more CUs (60 vs 54) was more important for the ray tracing upgrades they are pushing for this thing

Probably related to being forced to stick to 6nm as DF suspect. The cost of switching to 5/4nm as many here thought was just too much to justify. Maybe the 2022? delay/pause talked about was a re-evaluation and Cerny switched to this compromise?

Oliver here thinks if this is on 6nm it could push power usage close to 300W which is crazy for a console. On the plus I think it might mean this being cheaper than I thought. $500/£500/€500 for a discless version is possible. Though I wouldn't surprised at all if Sony went 550 plus.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1.2 GB extra ram confirmed.

q13YbpU.png

This will help with the RT heavy workloads.

People have been talking about this Pro machine being able to do ray-tracing and 60fps simultaneously. A slight upclock to the same CPU from 5 years ago ain't doing that :messenger_grinning_sweat:

One person yesterday was asking if Cyberpunk 2077 path-tracing update was on the table.

If that is the bar gamers are expecting from this thing, there will be a lot of disappointment inbound.
Who are people you speak of?

Having the same CPU and a bigger GPU update sounds like what happened with the PS4 Pro. This will be all about better resolution, framerates, ray Tracing capabilities and that's it.

as always, the marketing (what and how games are shown) is what really is going to set the tone for the pro.

timing wise Sony has to have true 'Next-Gen' games ready to be shown. or they will use GTAVI.

NEbeast

probably, yes. ive mostly stayed away from FF7 Rebirth threads and most games im not interested in, but have strong feelings about. But i do get the urge to shit on them every now and then so i wont make any promises.

i dont know which devs you have heard speaking positively about these specs though. they are all under embargo. DF is literally pointing out several games that have been CPU bound this gen including literally the next two big games games coming out in 2 days. So if you want your $600 purchase bottlenecked by the CPU without me criticizing it, im afraid thats not going to happen.
Surely the upscaling will free up resources? People were saying the same shit about the ps5 specs and it's hung with the "eats monsters for breakfast" series x. I wouldn't be so quick to downplay this thing.
but, I've already sold the PS5 and will replace it with the PRO model eventually.
They never were going to be excited. They made that clear months ago.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

It’s just their opinion. They are not developers, just enthousiasts like everyone else. They are just guessing and discussing the same as people are doing here.

You shouldn’t care about their opinion in the end.

Mr.Phoenix

the mid gen upgrade last gen was 30%.

this one is lower.

30% wouldve put this CPU at 4.55 Ghz.
Yh lets just ignore all the other areas where improvements were made and focus on the one area they couldn't improve. DF gave a very clear and reasonable explanation as to the obvious limitations sony faced that informed the choices they made. Its a mid gen refre3sh that will cost all of $100 more. They gave devs more RAM (something I recall you complained about), they gave it more bandwidth (also something you mentioned), they gave it more compute, gave it AI for crying out loud which is something every single person has been wishing these consoles had since they were announced three years ago.

But its somehow a bad console because they couldn't do much about the CPU.

I have said it before, games that have a CPU bottleneck, will likely remain bottlenecked on the Pro. Games that don't will see the most gains.

Senua

Gold Member
That CPU uplift is disappointing no matter how you shake it. But it's all about that PSSR, mush.

shamoomoo

Glad they touched upon the lower clocks which goes against Cerny's previous philosophy. Strange that he didn't opt for less CUs clocked higher.
The Pro is still faster than PS5 when the PS5 hits it's worst case scenario in a complex game, which is a 10% loss.The PS5 is clocked at 2.23GHz and the Pro is 2.18,I person believe it's actual clock rate is 2.2GHz even.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I find it kind of interesting that cpu bottlenecks are a reasons all things considered. Zen 2 is vastly more powerful compared to a Jaguar core, but it seems the issue lies in Single core performance. Even so, IPC should be a lot better.

Despite being 3.5 years in, i have yet to be fully mesmerized by the current-gen hardware. Now, it doesn't help that PS4/XBO SKU's still see a lot of support 10 years on - PS360 got bamboozled ports of Black Ops 3 and Far Cry 4, compare that to the stuff PS4/XBO is getting and that's with decade old DX11 GPU's.

My point is, if PS4/XBO still see that much support and get pushed ever more by cross-gen games, who is to say PS5/XSX are actually utilized well?

Metnut

Why do people think CPU is the only relevant thing for framerate? The existence of quality and performance modes in today’s games shows this isn’t the case.

Maybe I’m reading all of this wrong, but it seems like the Pro should be able to run performance mode on games, but add some extra features based on the ai up scaling. No this doesn’t mean guaranteed 60fps on all games.

Maybe this isn’t worth it for most, but that’s fine, it’s a mid-gen refresh. PS5 is my main platform, and I expect to be using it for another 3-4 years, so paying for the better experience is worth it to me.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yh lets just ignore all the other areas where improvements were made and focus on the one area they couldn't improve. DF gave a very clear and reasonable explanation as to the obvious limitations sony faced that informed the choices they made. Its a mid gen refre3sh that will cost all of $100 more. They gave devs more RAM (something I recall you complained about), they gave it more bandwidth (also something you mentioned), they gave it more compute, gave it AI for crying out loud which is something every single person has been wishing these consoles had since they were announced three years ago.

But its somehow a bad console because they couldn't do much about the CPU.

I have said it before, games that have a CPU bottleneck, will likely remain bottlenecked on the Pro. Games that don't will see the most gains.
We've discussed this before. The CPU will bottleneck the OTHER upgrades. Thats why its called a bottleneck.

Dont know how many different examples I have to give to show just how heavy RT is on the CPU. If they want to run RT at 30 fps then they will be fine. if they want to try 60 fps at decent resolutions, they will run into the bottleneck. if they want to run CPU bound games like Dragons Dogma and last years goty Baldurs Gate 3 at 60 fps, thats not going to happen. Point is that the best thing about the console which is the RT upgrades will be held back by the CPU.

Surely the upscaling will free up resources? People were saying the same shit about the ps5 specs and it's hung with the "eats monsters for breakfast" series x. I wouldn't be so quick to downplay this thing.
People might be underselling how much PSSR can free up resources for other things
Upscaling has a cost on the GPU. You can try this on PC any time you want. Reduce the resolution to 1440p or 1080p from 4k and compare the FPS gained to when you run the game with DLSS at 1080p or 1440p internally.

It's not freeing up anything. If anything, it will take most of that 45% extra power to achieve the upscaling. its also taking up an additional 250 MB of ram which thankfully got an 1.2GB upgrade, but it definitely didnt free up anything.

What it WILL do is give you a cleaner image that is comparable to DLSS rather than FSR2.

If they really are still 6nm, there is no way they could have got more performance , it’s literally at maximum power.

Last edited:
What I got from it was, taper your expectations. I did find funny in the last 10 minutes of the video that they pointed out that the Disc drive may be detachable. Is this thing coming with a disc drive or will we have to buy the current attachable drive for this machine. Something that hasn't been made clear yet

MikeM

We've discussed this before. The CPU will bottleneck the OTHER upgrades. Thats why its called a bottleneck.

Dont know how many different examples I have to give to show just how heavy RT is on the CPU. If they want to run RT at 30 fps then they will be fine. if they want to try 60 fps at decent resolutions, they will run into the bottleneck. if they want to run CPU bound games like Dragons Dogma and last years goty Baldurs Gate 3 at 60 fps, thats not going to happen. Point is that the best thing about the console which is the RT upgrades will be held back by the CPU.

Upscaling has a cost on the GPU. You can try this on PC any time you want. Reduce the resolution to 1440p or 1080p from 4k and compare the FPS gained to when you run the game with DLSS at 1080p or 1440p internally.

It's not freeing up anything. If anything, it will take most of that 45% extra power to achieve the upscaling. its also taking up an additional 250 MB of ram which thankfully got an 1.2GB upgrade, but it definitely didnt free up anything.

What it WILL do is give you a cleaner image that is comparable to DLSS rather than FSR2.
Isn’t upscaling harder on the CPU? I don’t think its harder on the GPU as the point of upscaling is to make life easier for the GPU?

SlimySnake

Isn’t upscaling harder on the CPU? I don’t think its harder on the GPU as the point of upscaling is to make life easier for the GPU?
FSR, DLSS and PSSR are done on the GPU. The AI cores sony and nvidia added for upscaling are part of the GPU.

it only looks like the CPU gets hit harder because the GPU can now request more frames from the CPU. Thus increasing the CPU workload.

Top Bottom