• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS5 and Xbox Series X run Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty at 900p resolution sometimes

Draugoth

Gold Member
For hi-res fans, the information here isn't very encouraging, as according to Digital Foundry, the PS5 and Xbox Series X run Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty at 900p resolution at certain times.

In 60fps performance mode, the maximum resolution target is 1440p (1600 x 900p ~ 2560 x 1440p) on PS5 and Series X. However, due to dynamic resolution scaling, internal resolution may vary, coming as low as 900p on both consoles, though everything is upscaled to 4K using FSR2, as seen in the base game. NOTE: No information has been released about the game on Xbox Series S.

092166.png

For now there are no significant visual differences between the two consoles, as both make identical use of volumetric effects, draw distance and other features. Another detail is that both consoles struggle to keep the game at a stable 60 FPS.

Summary:

- Current gen only. Leaves last gen consoles behind
- DF were sent game play from all devices, console versions were running in Performance mode

- Console perf mode does not use RT and run with a 60 FPS target
- PS5|SX seem to use matching settings, no Series S build tested
- PC version is RT overdrive / path-traced setting but capped at 30 FPS

- PS5|SX use DRS. 900p to 1440p using FSR2
- Lowest bound seen in the most stressful opening segment
- Console 'generally holds up' compared to PC mode.
- But of course the RT over drive looks 'better' with better shadows/lighting
- Console settings are mixture of Medium/High equivalent PC settings

- Series X jumps between 50~60 FPS in the given area. Driving sequence hangs at 50 FPS for prolonged stretch and game drops to high 50's in fire fights.
- PS5 runs at lower average FPS compared to SX (45 where SX is 50) and more drops in gunfights
- Both consoles have screen tearing on top

- DF hopes the drops are ironed out by the release.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I'm curious how long there will be 60 fps games at all. I am really looking forward to the addon. I just don't know where I will play it.

Last edited:

Hugare

They kinda paint themselves into a corner by offering 60 FPS

It was doable at the time of launch, but they are improving AI and many gameplay systems. PC requirements also got a bump.

And taking the option away now that its already there is impossible. Many people would cry about it.

So the only way out was droping the resolution to 900p

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary:

- Current gen only. Leaves last gen consoles behind
- DF were sent game play from all devices, console versions were running in Performance mode

- Console perf mode does not use RT and run with a 60 FPS target
- PS5|SX seem to use matching settings, no Series S build tested
- PC version is RT overdrive / path-traced setting but capped at 30 FPS

- PS5|SX use DRS. 900p to 1440p using FSR2
- Lowest bound seen in the most stressful opening segment
- Console 'generally holds up' compared to PC mode.
- But of course the RT over drive looks 'better' with better shadows/lighting
- Console settings are mixture of Medium/High equivalent PC settings

- Series X jumps between 50~60 FPS in the given area. Driving sequence hangs at 50 FPS for prolonged stretch and game drops to high 50's in fire fights.
- PS5 runs at lower average FPS compared to SX (45 where SX is 50) and more drops in gunfights
- Both consoles have screen tearing on top

- DF hopes the drops are ironed out by the release.

Last edited:

adamsapple

VRR saving the day once again then

PS5 is often dropping below its 48hz VRR threshold, so for those versions owners, hopefully this is improved by release.

IIRC base 2077 also had tearing in the Performance mode but VRR saved the bacon back then for me too.

Last edited:
I'm curious how long there will be 60 fps games at all. I am really looking forward to the addon. I just don't know where I will play it.
When you have 🤡 sites like Df looking at walls 2 cm away and complain about it. That awful sub 30fps is happening.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not very surprising. Phantom Liberty is making many improvements to the baseline game that already hardly ran on last-gen consoles so it's effectively a current-gen game and we've seen how tall an order 60fps is for them.

FF XVI drops to 720p with FSR1 so 900p with FSR2 doesn't seem too bad in comparison. Hopefully, it resolves a somewhat clean image because anything below a base resolution of 1440p using FSR2 suffers immensely compared to DLSS and even XeSS.

Mozzarella

This game honestly should have just been a PC only game, it would have been much better if it was that, even deeper, maybe it would have been the true successor to OG Deus Ex. I think the console release benefits them with money, but it takes a lot of effort that could have been used for the gameplay and rpg systems.

Last edited:

Gaiff

This game honestly should have just been a PC only game, it would have been much better if it was that, even deeper, maybe it would have been the true successor to OG Deus Ex. I think the console release benefits them with money, but it takes a lot of effort that could have been used for the gameplay and rpg systems.
Nah, it's alright on current-gen consoles. It should have never released on last-gen consoles though.

Mozzarella

Nah, it's alright on current-gen consoles. It should have never released on last-gen consoles though.
Yeah, i dont mind it, but i mean to get the full potential out of it. But its not really important anymore.
I hope the DLC will be good, but most likely i'll be busy with Starfield and BG3.

adamsapple

I think y'all are being too harsh here.

FSR2 with dynamic 1440p is much better than the static 1440p with TAA up-sampling we saw in a lot of games' performance modes at the start (Control, Yakuza LaD etc). The image quality is cleaner.

That and CP2077 is visually a very busy game. If they iron the consoles out and get them a tighter 60 by release, this will be a really well polished/optimized experience.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
They should have canceled the One and PS4 versions, but no reason to not put it on PS5 and XSX. Definitely not because of some damn pixels.

adamsapple

Not very surprising. Phantom Liberty is making many improvements to the baseline game that already hardly ran on last-gen consoles so it's effectively a current-gen game and we've seen how tall an order 60fps is for them.

FF XVI drops to 720p with FSR1 so 900p with FSR2 doesn't seem too bad in comparison. Hopefully, it resolves a somewhat clean image because anything below a base resolution of 1440p using FSR2 suffers immensely compared to DLSS and even XeSS.

Yes, FSR2 is a generational improvement over FSR1.

The base game also got an FSR2.1 patch for the consoles earlier and despite the lowest bound of DRS DECREASING, the overall net image quality result is a big improvement as per DF.

FSR2 also improves quality in motion where FSR1 fails.

the entire image is much sharper and clearer, better resolving sub-pixel detail - and just detail in general. A long view of the outskirts of night city brings this out especially well; more detail is noticeable at range, including the wording on shop signs, and the definition to swaying plantlife. It's not all about enhancing detail, though. FSR2's other strength is in logically recognising the elements of the screen that need to be dialled down. Any elements with visual noise, aliasing, or flicker, need to be addressed - and FSR2 does it more effectively overall -

As for gameplay in motion? Well, here there’s a substantial upgrade to the treatment of fine elements like hair. There's simply less break-up and more temporal stability with the processing FSR2 brings to these finer, sub-pixel details helping to reduce the distraction. FSR2 also thankfully improves - or at least greatly minimises - ghosting artefacts from CDPR’s previous solution

Fast motion is the ultimate test for upscalers, and yet again, FSR2 manages to boost overall clarity as we walk, or even drive quickly forward.

The fact that CP2077 runs on console is a miracle that out of the way since this game has no many moving parts and there are almost to no loading screen in the game is insane this update is also an almost complete rework on the base game with tons of add ons and a.i tweaks since the game is using FRS2 the game hoving in the 1600p range for 60 fps should be fine.

square needs to get CDPR or bethesda on the phone to help them out

tryDEATH

We definitely going back to 30FPS as a default. This Gen needs to end asap, can't believe they want to keep this gen stumbling till 2028 what are they thinking.

PS5 is often dropping below its 48hz VRR threshold, so for those versions owners, hopefully this is improved by release.

IIRC base 2077 also had tearing in the Performance mode but VRR saved the bacon back then for me too.
Dont you need a brand new top of the line TV with vrr to even use that feature? Doesn't seem reliable for most. I'm still using my 60" from 2014, and I don't see replacing it anytime soon, I have a feeling most people are in that camp, or even if they do have a new TV, maybe not high end enough for vrr, similar to how only high end monitors have official gsync certificatation.

That needs to be fixed, although if it's only in some spots it won't be too bad. I mean I use to play quake 3 at 24fps at times back in the day.

adamsapple

Dont you need a brand new top of the line TV with vrr to even use that feature? Doesn't seem reliable for most. I'm still using my 60" from 2014, and I don't see replacing it anytime soon, I have a feeling most people are in that camp, or even if they do have a new TV, maybe not high end enough for vrr, similar to how only high end monitors have official gsync certificatation.

That needs to be fixed, although if it's only in some spots it won't be too bad. I mean I use to play quake 3 at 24fps at times back in the day.

Not really top of the line, a good majority of new TVs, especially those which do 120hz, support it.

You can find monitors with VRR support for both major consoles for very reasonable prices.

I, myself, use a 32'' 4K monitor with HDMI 2.1 based VRR which works on both PS5 and Series consoles. I got it for $500 over black friday.

Last edited:
We definitely going back to 30FPS as a default. This Gen needs to end asap, can't believe they want to keep this gen stumbling till 2028 what are they thinking.
You going to pay for $800-1000 consoles... No didn't think so, and if you are there will be a handful of you. They can optimize and lower settings. No reason consoles have to match high end pc graphics. A mid tier gpu alone is now the cost of a console.

They have plenty of room. The gen just started, they have to optimize. Devs got lazy with the high wiggle room is all.

mrcroket

People that "shame" thoses resolutions are aware that PC use similars resolutions with DLSS or FSR 2 right?

hEKgdLs.png

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of users around here playing at 960p on a 1440p monitor using DLSS in quality mode without knowing it and trying to shame the consoles.

Last edited:

adamsapple

People that "shame" thoses resolutions are aware that PC use similars resolutions with DLSS or FSR 2 right?

hEKgdLs.png

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of users around here playing at 960p on a 1440p monitor unknowingly using DLSS in quality mode unknowingly and trying to shame consoles.

Good point.

If dynamic 1440p with FSR2 becomes the standard for performance modes in console games, that will be fantastic.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
In 60fps performance mode
Nothing To See Here GIF by South Park

But in honesty are those low Resolutions in Performance Mode which have only started popping up since they started using FRS really because that's the resolution the machine are capable of or because they don't need to target any higher because they're using FRS.

Flabagast

At this time next year 60fps on these consoles will be nothing more than a sweet memory of the past.

As soon as we begin entering into current gen only titles we can see them falling apart

Gaiff

hEKgdLs.png

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of users around here playing at 960p on a 1440p monitor using DLSS in quality mode without knowing it and trying to shame the consoles.
Because DLSS with a base of 960p is leaps and bounds better than FSR2. FSR2 only becomes comparable but still loses when the base resolution is 1440p. It gets demolished at 1080p and below.

It's not just about the base resolution, it's the final resolve and at 720p-900p, FSR2 and especially 1, are kind of shit.

Last edited:

Fake

DRS you need to set a lower res if you want agressive performance, so no problem for me.

And still FSR2.0 doing a good job in Cyberpunk overall.

StereoVsn

Why would we need a PS5/XSX Pro, am I rite?🤷‍♂️ 🤡

It's likely that Series S will not have performance mode and will see 900p 30fps for regular.

That said, I bet it will still run pretty meh even on higher end PCs unless you are sporting a 4090 with top tier Intel/AMD CPUs (13700k, 13900K, 7800x3d, etc).

Reactions: GHG

Mister Wolf

Because DLSS with a base of 960p is leaps and bounds better than FSR2. FSR2 only becomes comparable but still loses when the base resolution is 1440p. It gets demolished at 1080p and below.

It's not just about the base resolution, it's the final resolve and at 720p-900p, FSR2 and especially 1, are kind of shit.

Thank you for pointing this out. FSR2 completely shits the bed in anything less than quality mode. We have had numerous comparisons and all have shown there is no comparison. This was the most recent:

Last edited:

mrcroket

That's not the point my boy, if consoles used DLSS instead of FSR 2 the comments would be the same "consoles sub1080p underpower muh pc better".

Banned
Thank you for pointing this out. FSR2 completely shits the bed in anything less than quality mode.

and also only at 1440p and above in Quality mode.
as soon as the target res goes below 1440p it will start looking like ass in quality mode as well.

CHECKERBOARD RENDERING NEEDS TO RETURN ACROSS THE BOARD! fuck FSR2!

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

and also only at 1440p and above in Quality mode.
as soon as the target res goes below 1440p it will start looking like ass in quality mode as well.

CHECKERBOARD RENDERING NEEDS TO RETURN ACROSS THE BOARD! fuck FSR2!

Yeah. It has the same flaws of every other Temporal Upscaler besides DLSS. FSR2 is not special.

Gaiff

That's not the point my boy, if consoles used DLSS instead of FSR 2 the comments would be the same "consoles sub1080p underpower muh pc better".
Because sub-1080p is simply too low. There's no real way around it. Even DLSS doesn't look great with a 720p base on a regular TV. There's also the fact that cynical bastards on the net WILL mock the consoles when you see 8K, 4K/120Hz on the PS5 box but in actuality, get games that sometimes see their image quality drop below the level of regular PS4 games.

Same way the 3090 got laughed at for Jensen advertising 8K and we saw 8K games run at 20fps on it. RTX cards below the 2080 or hell, even the 2080 Ti, got lambasted for their RT performance as well.

It's not just a matter of consoles vs PC here. It's a matter of expectations vs reality.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
For hi-res fans, the information here isn't very encouraging, as according to Digital Foundry, the PS5 and Xbox Series X run Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty at 900p resolution at certain times.

In 60fps performance mode, the maximum resolution target is 1440p (1600 x 900p ~ 2560 x 1440p) on PS5 and Series X. However, due to dynamic resolution scaling, internal resolution may vary, coming as low as 900p on both consoles, though everything is upscaled to 4K using FSR2, as seen in the base game. NOTE: No information has been released about the game on Xbox Series S.

092166.png

For now there are no significant visual differences between the two consoles, as both make identical use of volumetric effects, draw distance and other features. Another detail is that both consoles struggle to keep the game at a stable 60 FPS.

Good .. whatever it takes to give the 60 fps option ... and definitely establish 60 fps as at least as an viable option for consoles once and for all

Next gen give us 2 skus 01 expensive premium and one normal ... with 500 boxes the choice is low resolution or low fps ... Ill choose low resolution any day since I dont take pictures.. I play the game

Top Bottom