• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dragon's Dogma 2 Performance Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs PC

GHG

Drops to 32fps on an 5800x3D and RTX 4090. Gotta love it!

P1YtBfF.png

Don't worry.

A man once told me VRR will fix it.

King Dazzar

The only good thing about all this is the fact it has an unlocked framerate (although they should of also had a 30fps mode when the framerate is this bad) so next gen consoles will be able to get 60fps in this (PS5 Pro wont with it using basically the same cpu as PS5).
Although needing next gen consoles to hit 60fps on this game is downright diabolical lol.
The problem is, its such a mess. I very much doubt a PS6 would run this well. And by the time you do have hardware to overcome the shit optimization. It'll look so old, would you even want to touch it. For those who can look beyond the shit performance, then great. But for me, I dont see myself ever touching this. The number of reviews ignoring these problems too. You have to be so careful these days.

Why not postpone this when it seemingly is another Cyberpunk situation only this time only on current target gen.
The performance seems just shite for how average it looks. They must have ramped up invisible stuff so much, that it tanks everything. Maybe needing the less NPCs approach like Cyberpunk? I know Hitman's or AC's NPCs were copy pasta braindead zombies, but did the engineer get lost who was able to make a bunch of people run around (in background tasks since I don't even see NPCs in the screens) without killing a game?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There is quite a big difference this time (biggest this gen?) and is very noticeable notably the vegetation in motion is quite blurrier on Xbox. I would say it's caused by difference of reconstruction methods. Looks way more robust on PS5.

W1rcBSq.png

Haha, thats horrific. Its straight up broken on series X

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The only good thing about all this is the fact it has an unlocked framerate (although they should of also had a 30fps mode when the framerate is this bad) so next gen consoles will be able to get 60fps in this (PS5 Pro wont with it using basically the same cpu as PS5).
Although needing next gen consoles to hit 60fps on this game is downright diabolical lol.
Lol no they won’t. A 4090 with a 5800X3D still drops to the 30s. The next-gen consoles won’t be twice that performance. They need to fix this trash or else you’ll need a PS8 to power through it.

The ray-tracing is used to add global illumination to this game, which, in my opinion, significantly improves the depth of the image and gets rid of that last-gen 'glowy' light leakage look indoors and on character faces. I guess this is why the developers have used it on consoles with no option to turn it off because without it the game would look more like the 2011 original (at least it does in the YouTube comparison of RT on and off for the PC version).

I get that not everyone will agree with that and many would prefer the choice of a worst looking game in terms of lighting versus better performance. However, I suspect that even with ray-tracing disabled that the game would still not achieve a locked 60 fps on consoles due to the CPU bandwidth limitations. Perhaps a 30 fps cap would be better overall rather than leaving it uncapped?

On the PS5, VRR will not work properly as in the 60 Hz mode it only supports 48-60 Hz and this game rarely goes above 48 fps unless you stare at the sky or ground. Also, LFC (low framerate compensation) does not work in the 60 Hz mode, only 120 Hz I believe so unless the developers support 120 Hz on the PS5 then anyone playing it on that platform will be stuck with a game that constantly stutters. On the Xbox Series X, you can force 120 Hz globally and LFC is supported natively at a system level unlike the PS5 so the console can double the framerate to use LFC in conjunction with VRR for smoother performance albeit at very low framerates. This is the reason I bought Elden Ring on Xbox Series X rather than PS5, although that game generally ran better than this one (above 40 fps most of the time).

Best format to play this game on is obviously the PC where you can brute force your way through any performance issues with the right hardware and have more flexibility over resolutions, framerate targets and graphical settings.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Is the iq trade off worth getting it $15 cheaper on XSX? I have a ton of rewards points lol.

Man, just get it on the XSX, at least it supports LFC, plus, why pay more for the PS5 version from the moment you can get it cheaper ? It's not like it's in a different ballpark when it comes to general performance...
There is quite a big difference this time (biggest this gen?) and is very noticeable notably the vegetation in motion is quite blurrier on Xbox. I would say it's caused by difference of reconstruction methods. Looks way more robust on PS5.

W1rcBSq.png

Physio, from all the technical problems this game has, the vegetation res. is the last of 'em, I mean, here's a game which - for some reason - runs at 4K with RT always on on consoles with a framerate that hovers between 24- 39 FPS.
PC performance is also not optimal from what I've seen so...

This reeks of bad optimization through and through and something tells me that they HAD to push it out of the proverbial door this quarter, it's the typical case of "buy it now, we'll fix it later" unfortunately.This went from a "maybe" to a "get it for 18 Eurodollars when the Xbox next/PS6 releases".

Cheers

Last edited:
The ray-tracing is used to add global illumination to this game, which, in my opinion, significantly improves the depth of the image and gets rid of that last-gen 'glowy' light leakage look indoors and on character faces. I guess this is why the developers have used it on consoles with no option to turn it off because without it the game would look more like the 2011 original (at least it does in the YouTube comparison of RT on and off for the PC version).

I get that not everyone will agree with that and many would prefer the choice of a worst looking game in terms of lighting versus better performance. However, I suspect that even with ray-tracing disabled that the game would still not achieve a locked 60 fps on consoles due to the CPU bandwidth limitations. Perhaps a 30 fps cap would be better overall rather than leaving it uncapped?

On the PS5, VRR will not work properly as in the 60 Hz mode it only supports 48-60 Hz and this game rarely goes above 48 fps unless you stare at the sky or ground. Also, LFC (low framerate compensation) does not work in the 60 Hz mode, only 120 Hz I believe so unless the developers support 120 Hz on the PS5 then anyone playing it on that platform will be stuck with a game that constantly stutters. On the Xbox Series X, you can force 120 Hz globally and LFC is supported natively at a system level unlike the PS5 so the console can double the framerate to use LFC in conjunction with VRR for smoother performance albeit at very low framerates. This is the reason I bought Elden Ring on Xbox Series X rather than PS5, although that game generally ran better than this one (above 40 fps most of the time).

Best format to play this game on is obviously the PC where you can brute force your way through any performance issues with the right hardware and have more flexibility over resolutions, framerate targets and graphical settings.
I agree that if you have a 120hz screen with VRR it's probably better to play the XSX version. But beware that you'll still feel the big frame-time spikes in cities and that the game is shockingly more blurry on Xbox. There is a similar perceptible resolution gap between XSS, XSX and PS5.

I suspect the Xbox Series X issue will quickly be fixed by Capcom post-release. They is no reason for it to look more blurry than the PS5 version so it is probably a bug.

I suspect the Xbox Series X issue will quickly be fixed by Capcom post-release. They is no reason for it to look more blurry than the PS5 version so it is probably a bug.
Remember that PS5 has dedicated hardware and likely APIs for reconstruction. Capcom may not feel the need to spend time optimizing the Xbox versions.

Darsxx82

RE4Remake (with the same REngine) saw the opposite situation. XSX was the beneficiary on that occasion compared to PS5.

Improvements in patches? Maybe, Capcom usually listens and improves things. Another thing is that the solution is going to please or be a benefit.

In the case of RE4Remake, a first patch slightly improved the IQ in the PS5 version and worsened that of XSX. Then another patch returned to IQ on release day (and demo) after complaints from XSX users.

In DD2 I don't know what will happen, the game has many more aspects to improve apart from IQ.

It's a CPU issue, nothing to do with the GPU. Many reviewers have reported fiddling with graphical settings and seeing no change in performance.
If the engine is bad and not optimised that will affect how it stresses the CPU. The game does nothing special so why does it stress the CPU so much.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The game does nothing special so why does it stress the CPU so much.
As I said, my bet is on poorly coded NPCs, which has nothing to do with the engine itself.

It's just a bet ofc, unless we work at Capcom we'll never know for sure.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This is one of those games where I wonder how they managed to stress the systems this hard, because nothing in the footage looks "current-gen" enough to warrant it. 🤷‍♂️

Even on the 4090 it doesn't look all that great to me.

Reactions: Fbh

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In the absence of a capped 30 FPS mode, this is the main reason I'm gonna play this on SX despite it (currently) having worse IQ. Like RE4make, they're probably gonna patch it in a week or two.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Basically the RE engine isnt capable of making a freeroam game the size of DD2, i like how they made the game bigger but they could of just went with 3x bigger then the first game instead of 4

That wouldn't have mattered, the engine isn't simulating everything in the world all at once.

Fbh

This is one of those games where I wonder how they managed to stress the systems this hard, because nothing in the footage looks "current-gen" enough to warrant it. 🤷‍♂️

Even on the 4090 it doesn't look all that great to me.

Yup, people kept talking about the next gen gameplay and physics in this and I'm not seeing anything mindblowing that would jutify the entire game running like shit (on consoles) instead of specific stress points.

Also the town tanking the framerate even on PC seems weird to me. It doesn't look pariticularly amazing, there doesn't seem to be some crazy level of interactivity and NPC pop in is hilariously bad, like Ps3 levels of bad. I get the framerate taking a hit if a monster invades and you have 20 NPC's fighting it on top of spells and shit, but just walking around?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Japanese devs battling for who is the more inept with graphic and performances, you love to see it :lollipop_squinting:
I might have said this before but we need to merge Japanese and Western studios. Send western engineers to japan and japanese designers and character artists to the west. Send western character artists to the moon. then nuke the moon.

GymWolf

I might have said this before but we need to merge Japanese and Western studios. Send western engineers to japan and japanese designers and character artists to the west. Send western character artists to the moon. then nuke the moon.
Nah, western art designer are good aswell, they are just infected by the mind virus.

And you can probably say the same for productivity, when sony and the other bigs are gonna fire all the diversity hiring we are gonna return to devs pushing these machines to 110%.

This gen is lost, but there is hope for the next one.

Mr Moose

Overall the Xbox version has a better framerate than the PS5 currently.
Not 6 fps average higher. Colt is a lying twat as usual.
Remember that PS5 has dedicated hardware and likely APIs for reconstruction. Capcom may not feel the need to spend time optimizing the Xbox versions.
It loads faster on Series X, they aren't using dedicated hardware very well.
Why does it look like it's on RGB limited instead of full :messenger_weary:

Last edited:
Game is ugly as hell, did they forgot to add color towards it?
If you're a PC gamer then don't worry, someone out there will do an ENB mod, rip out all of the game's color grading, turn up the saturation, make the skies extremely blue, and crank up the sharpness.

maxresdefault.jpg

That's what gamers seem to enjoy looking at 🤷‍♂️

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It's 2024 and we still have CPU constraints hamstringing performance. We need a software or API based solution for this because the hardware isn't going to radically improve any time soon.

CPUs need their own DLSS moment or you'll never see sustainable 60 fps in open world games.
Well... given that software dev's have been piggy backing on the work of hardware engineers for decades now, I would say its time for them to stop copy/pasting code and start to write optimized code for once XD

Mario 64 could have run at 60fps instead of 20fps on the actual N64 witch better coding. This game could do to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom