• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dragon's Dogma 2 Performance Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs PC

darrylgorn

It's 2024 and we still have CPU constraints hamstringing performance. We need a software or API based solution for this because the hardware isn't going to radically improve any time soon.

CPUs need their own DLSS moment or you'll never see sustainable 60 fps in open world games.

Stuart360

The only good thing about all this is the fact it has an unlocked framerate (although they should of also had a 30fps mode when the framerate is this bad) so next gen consoles will be able to get 60fps in this (PS5 Pro wont with it using basically the same cpu as PS5).
Although needing next gen consoles to hit 60fps on this game is downright diabolical lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If the game is so hard on console specs, they should had offered dumbed down 1440p res mode to offer a more stable frame rate.

Ferdimage

twilo99

It's 2024 and we still have CPU constraints hamstringing performance. We need a software or API based solution for this because the hardware isn't going to radically improve any time soon.

CPUs need their own DLSS moment or you'll never see sustainable 60 fps in open world games.

Which makes the choice of using Zen2 in what is supposed to be the best performing console around in 2024 simply baffling. Not only that, but we are supposed to keep using that CPU until at least 2027.

Quantum253

I warned you guys about RE Engine. It was created for claustrophobic RE corridors. Not these open world settings. I miss MT Framework.
Even after a decade of fine tuning and adjuatments? I'm curious if their ambition outgrew the engines capabilities and will make up for it with REX

Surfheart

The main characters walk animation, stance and the general brown/grey bland looking environments gave me a distinct Virtual Hydlide vibe

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seems good!
Haha and the idiots yesterday cried in the other that the ps5 version resolution is far lower and blurry!!!! lol get lost.
Ps5 version is 4k with interlacing. That’s obviously worse than raw 4k but not much enough to be visible on not zoomed yt vid.
Also, ps5 uses rather high settings and even some rt. And yesterday everyone thought it uses none.
I am telling you, you could swap these comparisons labels around and nobody would know. Pcmr guys just see the console label and it automatically looks worse for them.
I really hope they won’t lower graphics quality on ps5 with a. Patch to get better fps. If they want to patch in new mode and fps limiter ? Fine. But don’t alter the current mode too much.
This is what I wanted. Game with no stupid modes finally. Just it could had fps limiter on off.
Series s is bad though.

And other graph yesterday was running 4090 at 1440p with interlacing and boasting how much better the performance is. Well yeah, at half of 1440p on a 4090

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game has this really muted and washed out art direction. Could do with a little injection of colour imo.
Not sure with this game but with re remakes, they look much better with hdr. Usually contrast gets much deeper

S0ULZB0URNE

Both PS5 and Series X run at 4K Interlaced. Input resolution is 1920 x 2160, 50% of 4K.
PS5 has superior image quality.
Series X runs slightly better. Barely worth mentioning due to its worse image quality.
Shared bandwidth is what's bottlenecking the consoles from hitting 60.
Don't even think about running it on your Steam Deck

No PC info?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Don't even think about running it on your Steam Deck
yrf5JxV.gif

GymWolf

Bruh. RE engine is a beast.

I 100% put the blame on the actual team here. They needed to delay, and they needed to ask the monster Hunter world team for advice.

Going from Devil may cry 5, to this, is a major leap and change from a world perspective on what you’re taking hardware to do.
Mhw used mt framework, not re engine.
And rise was a switch game at its core, of course it run wonderfully on a decent pc.

Nobody at capcom have any experience with a full fledged open world with re engine and "modern" graphic.

Darsxx82

As it says in the article, regarding IQ it is the same case seen in RE4 Remake but in reverse. This time the victim is XSX and on that occasion it was PS5.

Of course this detail is curious. All REngine games were exactly the same and suddenly the details that favored one platform in one game, favored the other in the next🤔

The game in any case has mediocre performance, and with fps locked at 30fps and dropping to 20s it must be unbearable.
You need a 30fps mode and better optimize the 20sfps moments.

GymWolf

We all thought so. PC Gamer confirmed it does not have it. I'm sure they plan to include it eventually though as the game does already have Nvidia Reflex.
So no framegen and from my understanding, dlss doesn't really save much performance.

Boy this game is the gift that keep on giving, and i didn't even started playing it yet.

Denton

Looking at the video, holy shit that NPC pop-in. I would deduce several points off the score just for that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It was obvious that this game was ugly and ran like shit, I don't know what some people here were smoking when they said it looked next gen.
Dogma1 fans living on copium and blindly believing capcom pr talk about grandiose simulation and physics or people who give capcom more credit than they deserve tech wise, their best graphic until now has been re4 remake and that game still look somehow worse than a crossgen gigantic open world from 2 years ago, let alone stuff like alan wake 2 or avatar or cyberpunk.

Japanese devs need to wake the fuck up, simple as that.

After the huge success of mh world and rise, wilds should not fucking look like a mid ps4 game, not even in its reveal trailer in alpha state (the game is gonna be out in 2025, not 2030)

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Japanese devs battling for who is the more inept with graphic and performances, you love to see it :lollipop_squinting:
Rebirth has native 4k and a locked 30fps and the performance mode whilst hovering between 1100-1440p holds 60fps most of the time. The world also looks a lot more detailed than DD2 and character models are higher poly. So I think they've rushed this one out much more so than FF7.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

It's not cpu constraints, it's multi thread programming.

Usually these cases are that something has been created that makes all the threads have to wait for something else to finish before displaying the frame instead of results being truly independent of each other.

With tight deadlines it's not unusual for bandaids to make it to the final product.

Arun1910

I'll wait until they fix it, or just not buy it.

Don't support shit like this.
Same boat. I'm kinda annoyed by this, I will buy this game... when it's fixed.

What really irks me is Capcom coming out saying they are aware of performance issues pretty much as soon as the game released. So you knew... yet decided to release an unoptimized game anyway.

That's not worth full price to me.

GymWolf

Rebirth has native 4k and a locked 30fps and the performance mode whilst hovering between 1100-1440p holds 60fps most of the time. The world also looks a lot more detailed than DD2 and character models are higher poly. So I think they've rushed this one out much more so than FF7.
Yeah remilk part 2 looks definitely better.

Buggy Loop

Haha and the idiots yesterday cried in the other that the ps5 version resolution is far lower and blurry!!!! lol get lost.

rofif rofif who are you referring to with that aggressive take?

It does look softer in every way. Checkerboard or whatever solution they’re using. If you can’t spot anisotropic filtering either, there’s not much to help you here, resolution pixel count does not mean much when everything looks softer, to the point where DLSS’s performance would likely match it. (Useless to use as CPU bound)

Shut0wen

Basically the RE engine isnt capable of making a freeroam game the size of DD2, i like how they made the game bigger but they could of just went with 3x bigger then the first game instead of 4

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Basically the RE engine isnt capable of making a freeroam game the size of DD2, i like how they made the game bigger but they could of just went with 3x bigger then the first game instead of 4
If that were the case, the game would be shitting the bed at all places and not just in the city.

My bet is that the game has poorly coded NPC routines, nothing to do with the engine itself.

Top Bottom