• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Remnant 2 - An Unreal Engine 5 Nanite Showcase? PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S DF Tech Review

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’d like to see devs actually tax the consoles and get 100% out of them before we should talk about Pro consoles. I have no problem with devs only going with 30 fps, if it’s pushing other visual areas. I think very few studios have come close to reaching the PS5 or Series X potential.

OverHeat

« generous god »
At ultra settings DLSS quality in ultrawide 1440p I’m capping my oled monitor at 175fps easy.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
720p and can't even hold 60fps.
Man how quickly the dream of this gen being at least 1080p 60fps died.
And this isn't even using Lumen, once we get UE5 games using the full feature set we'll probably see console games running at 480p 25fps.

Honestly I've yet to see a single next gen game with visuals that seem worth the drop in resolution and framerate. We seem to have reached the point where getting a game to look 10% better needs 200% stronger hardware and it's not worth it.
I think that’s on the devs then.

yamaci17

neogaf logic

on PC:
1080p dlss quality is unusable, 720p is too few to work with (despite being a dedicated high quality AI based algorythm)

what? you use dlss balance at 1440p_? u play at 860p!1

on consoles:
1440p regular temporal performance is usable, it looks fine, 792p is just a buzzword (despite being a generic temporal upscaler)

I'm not saying it looks bad good or anything, but it is quite funny seeing such extreme hypocrisy from people. somehow whenever I mentioned how DLSS is even very usable at 1080p and breathes life into 2060/2060 super and alike, I always get "it is 720p lulz"

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It's a creative choice. Not a hardware issue

Well, technically that is 100% true. Fortnite is using Nanite and Lumen on console at 60fps, the resolution and framerate is controlled by what the developers choose to put in there (the creative decisions they make).

The consoles are what they are, and devs could choose to run everything at 4k 120 if they desired (games would be super simple though), the hardware really isn't ever the issue unless the designs are fundamentally broken in some way.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

It's not. It looks similar in stills. Did you guys just learn of image reconstruction yesterday? In motion is where the problem is.
Have you actually played any of these games recently? FF16 for instance also supposodely drops to 720p, never once I felt the image was blurred or with artifacts. Fear mongering is so stupid, go play the games instead of being angry at pixels.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Have you actually played any of these games recently? FF16 for instance also supposodely drops to 720p, never once I felt the image was blurred or with artifacts. Fear mongering is so stupid, go play the games instead of being angry at pixels.
And I heard people say the exact opposite. This is a technical discussion. I don't care about your feelings and no one is angry at pixels.

Awesome if you enjoy your game as you should. Just don't misconstrue something in an attempt to prove a point. 1440p native doesn't look "identical to 720p upscaled". No one said that.

Fbh

I think that’s on the devs then.

I think that's partially on the devs but also on gaming tech maturing to the point that improvements are becoming slower and more expensive.
Making something that looks twice as good as OG FF7 was relatively "easy", making something that looks twice as good as RDR2 or TLOU2 isn't going to be easy.

Personally I wish more devs would stop chasing graphics. With the hardware on the Ps5 and SX we could consistently get AAA games that look as good as the best looking games of last gen running at 60fps and like native 1440p.
I'd much rather get that than small graphical upgrades that bring the resolution down to 720p and can't even hold 60fps.

sendit

I'm sure if DF didn't point out the internal resolution of performance mode, no one here would be bitching. For example, when up-scaling can eventually make 360p source look as good as 4K, count me in. I do not give a shit about native resolution.

Last edited:

proandrad

Seems to work beautifully with Fortnite.
If the only people that can get the engine running well are the ones that who created the engine, maybe there is a problem with the engine. I don’t see any of these issues with decima or source engine.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If they only people that can get the engine running well are the ones that who created the engine, maybe there is a problem with the engine. I don’t see any of these issues with decima or source engine.
I don’t disagree. But I also don’t think devs are likely taking the time to optimize better. Epic has a financial reason to make its tent pole title run and look great on the UE6. I’m sure they spent a stupid amount of time and money at the engine. I don’t think most devs will take the time and just be ok with the consoles tech and the game engine to do the heavy lifting.

proandrad

I don’t disagree. But I also don’t think devs are likely taking the time to optimize better. Epic has a financial reason to make its tent pole title run and look great on the UE6. I’m sure they spent a stupid amount of time and money at the engine. I don’t think most devs will take the time and just be ok with the consoles tech and the game engine to do the heavy lifting.
Definitely the reason. Optimization is the last thing devs do and these games are coming in too hot. Plague tale proved all the devs need is more time to deliver a good performance mode. I blame Sony and Microsoft for not putting better quality standards on game graphic modes.

Portugeezer

I was just watching the video and was very surprised when I heard 792p on balanced.

I never would have guessed. Impressive upscaling.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was just watching the video and was very surprised when I heard 792p on balanced.

I never would have guessed. Impressive upscaling.
In still shots sure and likely a reason why you can't disable motion blur

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

Xtib81

Besides the resolution, I gotta say this game looks rather impressive. I love the level of detail, it really stands out.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Here's some insight on PC for performance in Remnant 2. I'd make my own thread but I shy away from attention.
Leave me alone.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe the game is good, but going strictly on adamapple's recap, game's technical specs and performance sound major shit-o-la.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Maybe the game is good, but going strictly on adamapple's recap, game's technical specs and performance sound major shit-o-la.

I see this as just the first wave in the coming tidal change. I suspect that gamers will have to reposition how they feel about resolution/upscaling/fps etc. (both on console and PC) once UE5 hits its stride.

I don't see that as a bad thing, really just a sign of progress, but it will be a bit of a shot to budget players in all spaces. Those with a 4090/80 or a 7900xtx will probably be fine, but all the budget cards that are so popular will probably really have to work for it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's not shit-o-la, the performance is just not consistent but we've seen other games do worse.

The native pixel count is low on paper but that's what all these up-scaling techs are for.

It's comparable to native 1440p on PC and exceeds 1440p with FSR2 on PC equivalent setups.

It's doing exactly what it's intended to do.

StereoVsn

Is this some sort of group selective ignorance thing or just the new kinda trolling?

Reconstruction is by now, a consistent and proven tech and we all should know how that stuff works. Its not 720/792/12xx whatever. It's a reconstructed 1440p with any of those internal resolutions.

Anyone coming in these threads and saying what you guys are saying like you guys are saying it, are just trolling. Because the end product doesn't in any shape or form look like a 720p game....

In the fucking video they used a 4090 with high settings and the game running a native 1440p on PC to show this fact for crying out loud.
The issue is that consoles aren't running DLSS. And FSR 2.x just doesn't do well reconstructing from such a low res, especially in motion.

And even for DLSS and especially FSR 2.x, it's much more preferable to reconstruct from 1440p or at least 1080p to 4K.

VN1X

Banned
As stated in the other thread but the performance on PC is shockingly bad.

I can live with dips in framerates, especially when the game is pushing a lot of graphical fidelity in specific scenes but when I'm staring down a nondescript corridor with some pipes and windows it shouldn't be dropping down to 40fps (that's with FSR Performance enabled btw lol). Warframe's presentation is similar yet despite it boasting a ton more enemies and effects on screen it has no issue staying at a high framerate at high resolutions.

UE5 seemingly requires some black magic voodoo in order for it to run properly on modern machines.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
playing the game its a really pretty game, I'm playing on ultra and havent experienced the console version but the different environments are all vastly different and beautiful in their own rights and the image is extremely crisp. I was surprised when people were calling it ugly. It looks about as good as GOW 5 IMO, which gives credit to GOW5 considering its from 2019 but this is still a good looking game.
Careful . Around here everyone just shits on remnant without having played a second of it and only watched a 480p video on their Samsung Galaxy 5 to determine it’s a butt ugly game.

Surfheart

I see why they are getting the pro out asap because as more games come out running at these resolutions, plenty of the more enthusiastic gamers are gonna read this shit and go straight to pc.

The ps5 and series X were 100 percent just pro consoles of pro consoles.

And the Ps5 Pro will be a Pro of a Pro of a Pro console? Realistically what do people expect a PS5 pro to bring to games like this and Jedi, 792p at a locked 60 instead of some dips? 1080@30 instead of 720p@30? I don’t think a Pro console is going to be as transformative as some are hoping for.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

The issue is that consoles aren't running DLSS. And FSR 2.x just doesn't do well reconstructing from such a low res, especially in motion.

And even for DLSS and especially FSR 2.x, it's much more preferable to reconstruct from 1440p or at least 1080p to 4K.
This game isnt even using FSR.

And I get it, reconstruction that is not Dlss is bad as most would want us to believe. My thing though, is that calling these games 720p/1080p...whatever, is just disingenuous. To me, they resolve all the details they otherwise would have had at their target rez, but may be softer or have erratic image stability... thats a different issue and should be discussed on its own right.

Someone coming in and saying here duh 720p is not contributing to that conversation in any way.

Leonidas

Good to see a developer pushing the hardware.

Can't wait to run this on my PC at 1440p with DLSS Quality + Frame Generation.

Hoping this is one of the many games where DLSS looks better than native.

Last edited:
Also, note they said it looks identical/on par to PC running 1440p native. While better than PC doing FSR 1440p

Why are we discussing mandatory numbers when the end result we see on the screen is a lot better than the false impression those numbers give?

Do People really think it looks exaclty like the 720p of an Xbox 360? Lol

People still think is all that matter for image quality?

Just remember that image quality of RE4 remake on ps5 was very criticized despite the fact that it was higher in numbers than the XSX wich was the praised version.

If the technique for res Scale and reconstruction can provide very crisp then the "Xamount.p" is the New "Teraflops is all that matter"

bender

What time is it?
Careful . Around here everyone just shits on remnant without having played a second of it and only watched a 480p video on their Samsung Galaxy 5 to determine it’s a butt ugly game.

Remnant was a really enjoyable game but visually it felt a generation behind. I'm only a handful of hours into the sequel but the descriptor of the original seems to fit the sequel as well. I think where most people's disappointment lies is that not only does is often look dated and simplistic, but it is also turning in shoddy performance. Remnant 2 getting a price bump from the original also doesn't help things as some of those warts are harder to overlook the further you stray from being a budget title.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
- PS5 and SX: Quality renders at 1296p. Balance at 792p average. Perf at 720p.

PS5 PRO WHEN!? DAY 1!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom