• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: RoboCop Rogue City - DF Tech Review - Unreal Engine 5 Shines on PS5/Xbox Series X/S

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A surprise to be sure - but a welcome one! RoboCop Rogue City isn't just an excellent shooter, it's one of the most accomplished uses of Unreal Engine 5 we've seen so far on consoles, with the full suite of UE5 features in effect: Lumen, Nanite and Virtual Shadow Maps. Join Oliver Mackenzie for the breakdown on how the technologies are deployed on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles.

00:00 Overview
01:06 Lumen GI and Reflections
06:14 Virtual Shadow Maps and Nanite
11:00 PS5 and Series X Console Comparison
16:07 Series S Somparison
18:35 Analysis and Conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

UE5's Full Suite:

- Full suite of UE5 features.
- Software Lumen GI used in place of typical GI
- Very consistent and accurate lighting
- Indirect lighting can be slightly coarse as it is tracing at a low resolution
- Some instances of light leaking also spotted
- But, not an issue 'overwhelmingly amount of times'.

- Software lumen reflections are also present along with screen space reflections
- Reflections aren't perfect and NPC's are only reflected in SSR.
- Foliage and animated elements don't animate in reflections and they aren't applied on all surfaces

- Virtual shadow maps also used using high res shadow maps.
- Unreal's ray traced shadow map technique also used
- More diffused shadows at distance just like real life.
- Super fine detail up close. Some shadows can be unnaturally sharp however, but terrific looking generally.

- Nanite also used for great LoD management.
- Best seen in dense natural rocky areas.

- Physics also used liberally with lots of destruction in environments.

Console Comparison:

- PS5/SX have 30 FPS Quality and 60 fps Performance mode.
- Software lumen used in both but quality a little worse in Performance mode.
- Transparent surfaces render higher quality in Quality mode.
- Likely more differences but nothing stands out.

- Series X:
- Both modes targeting 1440p final resolution using up-scaling from 1080p
- DRS possible but not noticed

- PS5:
- Same metrics in visuals features
- PS5 Quality mode seems to run natively at 1440p instead of upscaling providing a slightly cleaner final image.
- Both Xbox consoles have rendering bug on asphalt that PC/PS5 does not, DF thinks this is a bug.
- Some reflections in select locations look higher quality on PS5. (police station)

- Performance:

- Series X:
- SX runs at 60 in most area and fire fightss, drops to 40s and even low 30's in heavy stressed combat areas.
- Cutscenes target 60 but do not reach it in most cases
- Traversal stutter also seen.
- Quality mode is more stable with lesser traversal stutters
- Motion blur only seems to work in one mission, in other missions having it toggled on doesn't do anything.

- PS5
- More or less the same as SX in terms of stutter, quality mode performance etc.
- In Performance mode, PS5 suffers from significant frame rate dips in open world traversal, 10~ FPS lower versus SX,
- DF thinks it might be because of PS5 not having the asphalt rendering bug seen on Xbox

- Load times are very fast on all consoles

Series S:
- Lumen reflections are absent
- Lumen GI is present but lower quality compared to SX/PS5
- Still very good but not as stable as the other machines.
- Virtual shadow map also present but scaled back.
- Other visual settings are mostly the same
- Output resolution is 1440p with internal 1080p
- Frame rate mostly same as Quality mode on PS5/SX
- More frequent dips to 20s in stress fire fights

Last edited:

Duchess

Outside of some open world sections, the game performs and looks best on PS5.

Xbox Series X version seems to have some rendering bugs, as there are graphical effects present on PS5 and PC that are absent from the Series consoles.

The Series S version only has one mode - 30fps. Dips to 20fps are possible.

The game loads very fast - between 2 and 4 seconds, which is excellent!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The fact that this game is using the full UE5 suite is pretty damn surprising to me.

If an AA studio can put out a game this good, it bodes well for bigger studios with more budget and dev time.
Its more case of AA studio does not have budget for those custom/extra options and depends on what Engine gave them. Big budget studios try to be often "smart" and it shows

diffusionx

Gold Member
Olz0IQ2.gif

Darsxx82

Bugs aside, the strangest thing is that in XSX the quality mode uses the same resolution as the performance mode and even the same resolution as XSS.

It makes no sense, unless both XBOX versions are sister units through the same thread/code (in view of the bugs). We will see in future patches if it is resolved because clearly (in view of the performance in the 60fps model) there is plenty of room.

proandrad

Interesting, seems like this engine was built for 2006-2010 game design rather than the pandemic of open world design we have today.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Outside of some open world sections, the game performs and looks best on PS5.

I wouldn't say that, it generally runs ~10 FPS worse in open city traversal in the Performance, Quality mode runs about the same on both.

Visually the PS5 version looks nicer, with less bugs and a higher native resolution in Quality mode, but in terms of performance the SX is ahead in the 60 FPS mode.

U99kfkq.png

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I wouldn't say that, it generally runs ~10 FPS worse in open city traversal in the Performance, Quality mode runs about the same on both.

Visually the PS5 version looks nicer, with less bugs and a higher native resolution in Quality mode, but in terms of performance the SX is ahead in the 60 FPS mode.

U99kfkq.png
To the strange situations on Xbox (the main one is that the resolution in quality mode is the same as performance mode and XSS) is that there are bugs only present in some missions and not in others...

As you say, in performance mode in general they either look the same (in normal missions) or during open areas XSX works at 10fps more but it is true that in that area the ground texturing bug is latent and that could be affecting it. ..

It would be interesting to see how performance would change if future patches fix these situations, but unfortunately lately no one makes updates and we have to wait for the experiences of players to know.

In general, another house where it is noticed and appreciated that the Xbox version is always one step behind in optimization and polishing at the time of launch although at least this time it is a perfectly playable and enjoyable version.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Looks legit like a Detroit hellscape, whatever asset they re-used and if they saved a ton of time and budget for it, smart.

More devs should be smart.

They re-used a ton. Changed texture here and there. For example it's the same chain-link fence but with rusted looking texture applied.

Or look at this sign. Top Matrix, bottom Robocop.

VANB5AT.jpeg

73rvmy3.jpeg

They're smart.

Imtjnotu

U99kfkq.png
Didn't df say this is because of the asphalt? It's in your summary lol

Darsxx82

They re-used a ton. Changed texture here and there. For example it's the same chain-link fence but with rusted looking texture applied.

Or look at this sign. Top Matrix, bottom Robocop.

VANB5AT.jpeg

73rvmy3.jpeg

They're smart.
This being undoubtedly a great benefit for the visual result in Robocop, it is also true that it would be a double-edged sword if many Studios to abuse recycling assets because surely in the future we will have a huge number of games that are going to look like twins.

Although it is also true that this has always been something linked to the UE and its abuse of use in several generations already.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This being undoubtedly a great benefit for the visual result in Robocop, it is also true that it would be a double-edged sword if many Studios to abuse recycling assets because surely in the future we will have a huge number of games that are going to look like twins.

Although it is also true that this has always been something linked to the UE and its abuse of use in several generations already.

Robocop looks nothing like Matrix Demo so I wouldn't worry about it.

SABRE220

Well this a very pleasant surprise kudos to the devs they embarrassed most devs this gen, and kind of sad that high budget studios are fumbling to get their tech in order in comparison. That being said the lumen seems a bit off, can someone please post the difference between hardware lumens and software lumens for the lighting? Im curious to see how much of a difference there is considering the matrix demo used hardware lumens and seemed higher quality.

Fbh

Damn an UE5 game that looks nice and even has an ok (but no great) performance mode that doesn't upscale from like 600p.
Maybe there is hope for decent UE5 games on console in the future.

Darsxx82

Well, it looks much sharper on PS5.

nnnn.png
Because in quality mode, very very strangely and with no sense, the game in XSX works at the same resolution as in performance mode and XSS mode with practically the same assets but with 30fps extra wasted.

Clearly it would be the first thing The Studios should fix because then there would be no point in using quality mode in XSX since it lacks advantages over performance mode.
Robocop looks nothing like Matrix Demo so I wouldn't worry about it.
It is clear that Robocop has its own personality in the visual section, but it is just as clear and evident that the reuse of assets with the Matrix demo is evident.

I repeat that there is nothing wrong in principle. My doubt is if this could become a constant and then we will have first cousin games visually more frequently than desirable which usually results every generation from the excessive use of UE by a majority of indi Studios which live off the libraries that Epic puts on sale.

But I repeat, all my praise for the visual result and even performance (beyond bugs in XS). This Robocop Game Is a lesson to many.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Oooof, those framerate drops.

Is trying for a PS360 era tribute, as well as the 1980s action flick...

shamoomoo

Because in quality mode, very very strangely and with no sense, the game in XSX works at the same resolution as in performance mode and XSS mode with practically the same assets but with 30fps extra wasted.

Clearly it would be the first thing The Studios should fix because then there would be no point in using quality mode in XSX since it lacks advantages over performance mode.

It is clear that Robocop has its own personality in the visual section, but it is just as clear and evident that the reuse of assets with the Matrix demo is evident.

I repeat that there is nothing wrong in principle. My doubt is if this could become a constant and then we will have first cousin games visually more frequently than desirable which usually results every generation from the excessive use of UE by a majority of indi Studios which live off the libraries that Epic puts on sale.

But I repeat, all my praise for the visual result and even performance (beyond bugs in XS). This Robocop Game Is a lesson to many.
If the resolution on the Series' consoles aren't a bug,I think it's Tayon's way of developing on two consoles at once.

Vick

Was the huge difference in distant detail and shaders/reflections between the PS5 and Xbox Series X version mentioned anywhere?

As I'm being constantly blown away by this game visuals on PS5 Performance mode, I wanted to add more context on this comparison because the "Console version" (as it's being referred to) of RoboCop: Rogue City is luckily much better than what's shown here.

PC:
LM677BS.jpeg

PS5 (Quality):
robocop_roguecity_202nvdsx.png

Xbox Series X (Quality):
robocop_roguecity-20267i3l.png

PS5 (Performance):
oaCEJHw.png

It's just the Xbox version appearing to be severely compromised when it comes to distant detail, and by looking closer other differences become noticeable as well, such as many shaders missing, as seen on the "All Mega Store" sharing the same appearence only on PS5/PC, lower resolution, and different looking reflections compared to the other two versions.

All three are present in this GIF, two appear to be absolutely identical and one noticeably not.

CbF9tLt.gif

Y48hO6u.gif

gsjAFKB.gif

Must be noted however, at least according to this for now only available comparison, the Xbox Series X is considerably more stable in its Performance mode in demanding areas like Downtown at night:

Because this sounds fraudulent:

"- PS5:
- Same metrics in visuals features"

Last edited:
Top Bottom