• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: RoboCop Rogue City - DF Tech Review - Unreal Engine 5 Shines on PS5/Xbox Series X/S

Darsxx82

They always mentioned differences of this kind, usually accompanied by a "This is likely a bug and we've contacted the devs about it".
They already do it in more evident texture/gloosy ground , whether it's a bug or not.

This time they didn't, and I'm not sure if you played the game but this ain't a minor thing.. those buildings/distant views are right in your face for the entire game.. except for rare angles like the one they chose for their comparison.

There is perfectly the possibility that whoever made the comparison has not played both versions at the same time in those areas. As obvious as it may be putting one catch on top of another is not the same as while playing, at least not as much as the ground situation.

Wanting to look for intentionality, when he himself points out better reflections in the police station when he could very well have not pointed out...🤔

That said, the fact that the divergences clearly occur in the same environment where XSX has an advantage of at least 10fps and the same "bug" also occurs while in the rest of the areas it does not is illuminating.

Then, it is also curious that LOW on PC does not show that ground appearance (which gives more support to the possibility of a bug). It would be interesting to check if in LOW the detail of distant buildings compares with the appearance in XSX or not.

That advantage of more than 10fps in favor of XSX in that specific area must come from somewhere...

Vick

The explanation I see is that the DF analyzes, even if they are done by a single person, talk among themselves about the different versions and he has probably spoken with Alex or seen the PC version.

In this case, the problems we see in XSX are not visual degradations that you can reproduce on PC, even at its lowest graphics settings. An AMD 6600, much less powerful than XSX, is capable of sustaining +30fps without problems in the quality of the asphalt.

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-11-14-211212.png

If you can't play them on PC, not even at their lowest settings, and you see what it looks like... well, DF must have thought it was a bug, and if it has bugs as serious as that, it probably has others. In fact, it seems like a problem of the same nature: an unloaded texture on buildings.

Perhaps DF has not given it too much importance because they have reason to think that the XSX version has bugs that the PS5 version does not. The main reason is that on PC the settings are not degraded in that way. And if we add a solid advantage in the framerate of XSX... everything points in the same direction.
Problem is even in that case you don't mention a FPS advantage at all if you then fail to acknowledge the huge probable reason behind it.

Would you really be okay with concealed informations like this?
From a place existing for the sole reason of showcasing such differences no less..

Last edited:

Vergil1992

Problem is even in that case you don't mention a FPS advantage at all if you then fail to acknowledge the huge probable reason behind it.

Would really be okay of concealed informations like this?
From a place existing for the sole reason of showcasing such differences no less..
How do you know for sure that these issues have an impact on framerate? maybe they don't have it. Or maybe it is, but the PC version could help here.

If the next XSX update looked like the PS5 and maintained the same performance, what would you think about it?

At the moment there is a compelling reason to think that it is a bug. On PC the asphalt cannot be seen as bad as on XSX or at its lowest configuration. I have put a benchmark where Robocop in its minimum and highest configuration does not show these differences.

And yet, DF has said that perhaps the advantage in framerate is due to the asphalt problem. This will be seen, as always, over time. If after one or two months the problems persist on Xbox, we could talk about intentional degradation. But I am inclined to think that this will be fixed, I highly doubt that the appearance of the asphalt in XSX is normal. Jeez, it looks like a PS2 resolution texture sometimes.
We have seen LOD and texture issues on equally or more powerful platforms on many occasions. We have seen games with better settings on PS4 than on One X because it inherited them from One or because they had a bug. And I think we should give some credit to DF, they are probably more clear than us that it is due to an error and that is why they do not give it as much importance.

They also don't give much importance to the framerate, when it is undoubtedly much more stable in XSX. Not just walking around the city, there are gunfights where on XSX it's a solid 60fps vs 45-50fps on PS5.

There's no point in downgrading the most stable version, nor is there any point in how it looks if we look at lower settings on PC.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The explanation I see is that the DF analyzes, even if they are done by a single person, talk among themselves about the different versions and he has probably spoken with Alex or seen the PC version.

In this case, the problems we see in XSX are not visual degradations that you can reproduce on PC, even at its lowest graphics settings. An AMD 6600, much less powerful than XSX, is capable of sustaining +30fps without problems in the quality of the asphalt.

If you can't reproduce the problem on PC by lowering the settings... and you see what it looks like... well, DF must have thought it was a bug, and if it has bugs as serious as that, it probably has others. In fact, it seems like a problem of the same nature: an unloaded texture on buildings.

Perhaps DF has not given it too much importance because they have reason to think that the XSX version has bugs that the PS5 version does not. The main reason is that on PC the settings are not degraded in that way. And if we add a solid advantage in the framerate of XSX... everything points in the same direction. No developer would intentionally make one version that runs at 49fps while the other runs at a solid 60fps in the same location have better visual settings. It would not make sense.
Is that capture on PC LOW?

If so, it is illuminating because if you look at the detail of the buildings, they are still intact with their lights. That is, even more arguments to understand the existence of a bug or the result of sharing code and development with specific assets for XSS.

As you say, 10 FPS difference and in that specific area where these visual divergences occur must be related Or not.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

Is that capture on PC LOW?

If so, it is illuminating because if you look at the detail of the buildings, they are still intact with their lights. That is, even more arguments to understand the existence of a bug or the result of sharing code and development with specific assets for XSS.

As you say, 10 FPS difference and in that specific area where these visual divergences occur must be related.
I think it's not on low (the reflections seem higher quality, and the effects volumetric), but the point is that if a 6600 can run it at 30fps with very decent settings, there is no way that a much more powerful system like Series GPU has problems.

Here is a comparison where you can see low vs ultra:

And the asphalt looks better than the XSX in its lowest setting.

Low:

low.png

Ultra:

ultra.png

It is clear that the XSX version is a bug.

Last edited:

Lysandros

What's going on with the series x image quality?

That needs patching ASAP.
Part of it is substantially lower internal resolution in quality mode. The thing is since it already drops as low as 24 FPS in this state, increasing the resolution altogether matching PS5 asset quality will come at a further cost. This will need some serious optimization. I hope both versions' performance will improve with future patches.

Vick

How do you know for sure that these issues have an impact on framerate? maybe they don't have it. Or maybe it is, but the PC version could help here.

If the next XSX update looked like the PS5 and maintained the same performance, what would you think about it?
I don't know. Nor care to be honest.

What I'm really interested here is the supposed appalling lack of integrity shown by Digital Foundry.

Zathalus

What I'm really interested here is the supposed appalling lack of integrity shown by Digital Foundry.
You do realize that DF miss things all the time? Especially performance or visuals issues that occur in later sections of a game. They are not omniscient.

If you are trying to imply some sort of bias here, then why do they point out the issue with the Asphalt? Or the lower resolution on Series X? Or the performance drops to the 20s? Or the better reflections on PS5?

Vergil1992

Part of it is substantially lower internal resolution in quality mode. The thing is since it already drops as low as 24 FPS in this state, increasing the resolution altogether matching PS5 asset quality will come at a further cost. This will need some serious optimization. I hope both versions' performance will improve with future patches.
These crashes are probably caused by the CPU. This game has (on PC) serious CPU utilization issues, it even has memory leaks that are fixed by loading the checkpoint. There are several discussions on Steam about it, and on console they seem to have inherited the same stuttering problems (I have seen them in the same places as on my PC), I wouldn't be surprised if it had similar problems. So perhaps increasing the resolution to 1440p won't have any effect on those drops (nuance on "maybe").

On my computer, with a 5700X and a 7900XTX I have seen 20-25fps, with the GPU at 10-15% utilization. I loaded checkpoint because it was in a problem area, and I read several threads from multiple users complaining about the problem. This is not a case like Alan Wake 2 for example, it is a game that has obvious problems that are impossible to play on PC. As Darsxx82 says, even the lowest settings can't reproduce problems with asphalt or "off" lights on buildings.

Last edited:

Vick

You do realize that DF miss things all the time? Especially performance or visuals issues that occur in later sections of a game. They are not omniscient.

If you are trying to imply some sort of bias here, then why do they point out the issue with the Asphalt? Or the lower resolution on Series X? Or the performance drops to the 20s? Or the better reflections on PS5?
Have you played the game?

These ain't minor differences relegated to obscure portions of the game, we're talking about something right in your face from the very intro of the game to the end. And yes, there's no fucking way in hell they missed it. No chance whatsoever.
Even lower chance they coincidentally chose the few possible angles where such difference is occluded from view when making the comparisons.

Zathalus

Have you played the game?

These ain't minor differences relegated to obscure portions of the game, we're talking about something right in your face from the very intro of the game to the end. And yes, there's no fucking way in hell they missed it. No chance whatsoever.
Even lower chance they coincidentally chose the few possible angles where such difference is occluded from view when making the comparisons.
The shot you are talking about is clearly in the video. They even pan across the bay with the buildings clearly in view.

Riddle me this, so they hide the issues with textures on far away buildings but they don't hide the following:

- lower resolution on quality mode
- asphalt rendering issue
- better reflections on PS5
- performance drops to the 20s

What exactly had this achieved? Is this magically going to make people think the Series X is now so much better to comply with some sort of sinister master plan? Or did Oliver perhaps simply overlook the issue? Hell, maybe simply forgot to mention it in the video?

It's hilarious to me that a number of people on this forum think they are pro Xbox when on Twitter most people think they are pro Sony.

onQ123

If you can't reproduce the problem on PC by lowering the settings... and you see what it looks like... well, DF must have thought it was a bug, and if it has bugs as serious as that, it probably has others. In fact, it seems like a problem of the same nature: an unloaded texture on buildings.

Perhaps DF has not given it too much importance because they have reason to think that the XSX version has bugs that the PS5 version does not. The main reason is that on PC the settings are not degraded in that way. And if we add a solid advantage in the framerate of XSX... everything points in the same direction. No developer would intentionally make one version that runs at 49fps while the other runs at a solid 60fps in the same location have better visual settings. It would not make sense.
VRS

Darsxx82

Second oportunity eh?🤣,

Again, the drop in frames in that scene also occurs in performance mode in the same terms. That is, in that scene the native resolution is not the cause of the fps drop so your argument is definitely out of place.
I have taken the trouble to go to the same place as in the comparison.

LOW:

20231114220009-1.jpg

Epic:

20231114215953-1.jpg

I confirm that even in its lowest setting, the asphalt or buildings do not look like XSX.

This is a bug, I'm pretty sure.
I would also not rule out that they were specific assets for XSS shared by mistake with XSX with which it shares code and tools.

The question now is to know if this "bug" is giving the XSX 10 or more fps advantage in that area or not.

Vick

The shot you are talking about is clearly in the video. They even pan across the bay with the buildings clearly in view.
I am talking about the night shots. Where they for fucking sure noticed complete darkness of one version vs tons of illuminated buildings in the other.

Riddle me this, so they hide the issues with textures on far away buildings but they don't hide the following:

- lower resolution on quality mode
- asphalt rendering issue
- better reflections on PS5
- performance drops to the 20s

What exactly had this achieved? Is this magically going to make people think the Series X is now so much better to comply with some sort of sinister master plan?
How the hell would I know? And things add up you know, what I don't get is your reasoning for defending them here?
You really believe it's possible they noticed isolated indoor reflections or resolution differences and somehow missed whole fucking portions of the city missing while playing at night?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty shitty comparison from DF. There are massive differences between the XSX and PS5 version as vick has shown.

He even downplays the massive 70% resolution advantage in favor of the PS5 saying it looks only slightly better when a mere 10-15% difference in other games is treated like some kind of huge deal.

Seriously, 1080p vs 1440p in a UE5 game should be a huge fucking story. But nope, lets downplay this.

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

The only difference in Fortnite is that XSX runs at a higher dynamic resolution (15%).
Fortnite has a difference in Nanite (Lod).
The PS5 version clearly has more detail and the quality of the reconstruction is better.
I don't think it's a bug because the difference remains even in the latest version.
These are Fortnite screenshots (PS5 & XSX) that I posted previously.
Running UE5 games seems to be a struggle on consoles.
5EDI2fl.jpg
sJyBjEk.jpg
mlsBo0F.jpg
CtWltMu.jpg

Zathalus

How the hell would I know? And things add up you know, what I don't get is your reasoning for defending them here?
You really believe it's possible they noticed isolated indoor reflections or resolution differences and somehow missed whole fucking portions of the city missing while playing at night?
Well, yes. DF has been wrong about plenty of things in the past, across all platforms. Do I think this is a poor showing from DF? Yes, absolutely. Do I think it was deliberately done to make the X version look better? Considering all the other negatives they pointed out in the video, I'm going with no.

If I have time this weekend, I think I’ll do just that!

Side note, I can’t ever have a Robocop conversation without sharing this masterpiece. Very NSFW, btw.

Lol, I've been looking everywhere for that clip! Saw it a couple of years ago and it's so fucking funny and insanely well made in all its gory glory!

I think it used to be on youtube originally but when I was to show it to a friend a couple of months ago it had been removed (which makes perfect sense given the content)

Whats cool about this clip is that its one piece of an entire student film project. They remade the entire movie in like 2 or 3 minute clips, each covered by a separate group. i watched it a few years ago and its really interesting. I dont remember where I found it online, and maybe its gone now. But it has the title in that clip so you could find it Im sure.

Was the huge difference in distant detail and shaders/reflections between the PS5 and Xbox Series X version mentioned anywhere?

Because this sounds fraudulent:

"- PS5:
- Same metrics in visuals features"
Yes the only area where XSX performs better is on the streets where PS5 had (very visible) higher settings for the roads and reflections. He even acknowledges that resolution is higher on PS5, but here he probably got that from the quality mode. Seems developers put more details on the performance mode and higher resolution (end more details) on the quality mode for the PS5 version.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes the only area where XSX performs better is on the streets where PS5 had (very visible) higher settings for the roads and reflections. He even acknowledges that resolution is higher on PS5, but here he probably got that from the quality mode. Seems developers put more details on the performance mode and higher resolution (end more details) on the quality mode for the PS5 version.

The only noted place with difference in reflections was inside the police station.

In the over world, the texture/visual quality is the same with the asphalt bug/texture being the only outlier.

Both run at 1080p > 1440p in the Performance mode where SX runs ~10, 12 FPS faster in the city. PS5 has a higher resolution in the Quality mode,

Darsxx82

Fortnite has a difference in Nanite (Lod).
The PS5 version clearly has more detail and the quality of the reconstruction is better.
I don't think it's a bug because the difference remains even in the latest version.
These are Fortnite screenshots (PS5 & XSX) that I posted previously.
Running UE5 games seems to be a struggle on consoles.
5EDI2fl.jpg
sJyBjEk.jpg
mlsBo0F.jpg
CtWltMu.jpg
DF has a comparison and result of an interview with EPIC itself who told them that the only difference between XSX and PS5 was a ~15% higher dynamic resolution in XSX.
No difference in LOD was visible in any of the comparison images and the corresponding video.

Vick

The only noted place with difference in reflections was inside the police station.
*Only noted place by Digital Foundry, which proved today to be utterly fucking blind and unreliable to fraudulence extremes.

In the over world, the texture/visual quality is the same with the asphalt bug/texture being the only outlier.

Both run at 1080p > 1440p in the Performance mode where SX runs ~10, 12 FPS faster in the city. PS5 has a higher resolution in the Quality mode,
*Faster in the 1/3 portion of the city said version is rendering.

Mr Moose

DF has a comparison and result of an interview with EPIC itself who told them that the only difference between XSX and PS5 was a ~15% higher dynamic resolution in XSX.
No difference in LOD was visible in any of the comparison images and the corresponding video.
Source?
Before we wrap up, you might be interested to know how the game runs on each platform in terms of performance, resolution and - yes - shutter compilation stutters. Let's start with the good stuff: based on our conversations with Epic, both PS5 and Series X target 4K via temporal super resolution, with an internal resolution of anywhere from 864p to 1836p - a massive range. On average, PS5 delivers 55 percent of 4K on each axis, while Series X is slightly higher at 59 percent. Owing to the way image reconstruction works, it's very difficult to see any difference at all between the two versions.
I hope this isn't your source.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

*Faster in the 1/3 portion of the city said version is rendering.

Of course, because the city in the distance is being rendered in the same way and demand 🙃

The moment in LOW the appearance of the buildings in the distance does not change much from Ultra should tell you everything. We are talking about 12+ frame. I highly doubt that activating Low on PC requires such an excessive amount of performance.

Vick

Of course, because the city in the distance is being rendered in the same way and demand 🙃
According to the late/final chapters yes, the distant buildings/cityscapes rendering plays a huge role in the overall presentation.

And I was obviously playing with Adam's disingenuity there.

You're saying those images are fake or?

Genuine question, I don't play Fortnite nor watch every DF comparison.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It isn't apples to apples, PS5 has more processing to do due to higher quality ground assets (and related reflection cost) here.
8rf56fy.jpg

Accurate reflection in accordance with differing road surface should undeniably more computationally expensive as stated in the video. Furthermore the reflection itself seem to be higher quality on PS5.

Another interesting thing is in quality mode XSX is shown to drop as low as mid 20's in some shootouts and also has traversal stutters also dropping the framerate, PS5 is said to be 'similar' performance wise despite running at ~70% higher internal resolution but sub 30 FPS drops akin to XSX are not shown/found in the video. All things considered i do not think that XSX is 'outperforming' PS5 overall in this game besides looking worse.

Yeah. I think it clearly needs some patches on xbox and a comparison should be made once these issues are fixed.

Darsxx82

Source?

I hope this isn't your source.

This source shows you 1:1 comparisons and a video where no difference is seen and that Epic itself does not mention.

Imagine that they highlight the advantage of XSX in resolution and do not mention any other aspect.

Then, if you know how Nanite works (and the Matrix demo is a good source) you will be able to see how the polygon adjustment is constant.

And if DF is not the source with the credibility you would like, you have infinite videos on YouTube comparing both versions from all angles.

Mr Moose

This source shows you 1:1 comparisons and a video where no difference is seen and that Epic itself does not mention.
So the source is you made it the fuck up?
All they did was a shitty 4 way spit-screen video.

Vergil1992

It's completely false that PS5 is only performing worse right now. This comparison, looking at the one from DF, seems correct to me, it shows EXACTLY the same problems on the asphalt:

I've been "lucky" to see all versions live (except XSS), and gameplay in the most stressed areas is much closer to 60fps on XSX than it is on PS5. At minute 4.30 you can verify what I say, even assuming that the metrics of this comparison are incorrect, it is evident that the PS5 version has more poor performance. Whoever doesn't want to believe it just has to watch the same moments at 60fps, even on YouTube the difference is noticeable enough to notice that 60fps is more stable in XSX (I don't want to say that it doesn't have drops, it also has them, but much less frequency).

This is quite common:

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-11-14-233452.png

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-11-14-234634.png

I would like to see a VG Tech comparison on this, but I am quite convinced that the XSX version is not 10fps more only in that area, in any problem areas it will have the advantage. Obviously this is more difficult to demonstrate with captures, because it is noticeable in movement. At minute 6.20 of that comparison you can see how the 10fps difference is maintained and in gunfights where PS5 runs at 49-52fps in XSX it is at 59-60fps. If you don't trust the metrics, trust your eyes, the XSX version feels smoother.

DF has stayed on the surface analyzing performance.

What I don't rule out is that the advantage of XSX is due to having lower graphic settings, but the truth is that it doesn't fit at all with "low" on PC. And it also doesn't add up that XSX in performance mode and quality mode work at the same resolution, when it is a very GPU-demanding game.

It is evident that DF is right; There are problems on Xbox. I don't know if they have made an extra optimization effort in XSS and its older sister has "inherited" those optimizations, or it is simply a bug. We've seen games with similar issues before and performance didn't change.

Mr Moose

It's completely false that PS5 is only performing worse right now. This comparison, looking at the one from DF, seems correct to me, it shows EXACTLY the same problems on the asphalt:

I've been "lucky" to see all versions live (except XSS), and gameplay in the most stressed areas is much closer to 60fps on XSX than it is on PS5. At minute 4.30 you can verify what I say, even assuming that the metrics of this comparison are incorrect, it is evident that the PS5 version has more poor performance. Whoever doesn't want to believe it just has to watch the same moments at 60fps, even on YouTube the difference is noticeable enough to notice that 60fps is more stable in XSX (I don't want to say that it doesn't have drops, it also has them, but much less frequency).

This is quite common:

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-11-14-233452.png

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-11-14-234634.png

I would like to see a VG Tech comparison on this, but I am quite convinced that the XSX version is not 10fps more only in that area, in any problem areas it will have the advantage. Obviously this is more difficult to demonstrate with captures, because it is noticeable in movement. At minute 6.20 of that comparison you can see how the 10fps difference is maintained and in gunfights where PS5 runs at 49-52fps in XSX it is at 59-60fps. If you don't trust the metrics, trust your eyes, the XSX version feels smoother.

DF has stayed on the surface analyzing performance.

What I don't rule out is that the advantage of XSX is due to having lower graphic settings, but the truth is that it doesn't fit at all with "low" on PC. And it also doesn't add up that XSX in performance mode and quality mode work at the same resolution, when it is a very GPU-demanding game.

It is evident that DF is right; There are problems on Xbox. I don't know if they have made an extra optimization effort in XSS and its older sister has "inherited" those optimizations, or it is simply a bug. We've seen games with similar issues before and performance didn't change.

That's the guy who said DF and NXG were lying, and then got bitch slapped by both.

Darsxx82

According to the late/final chapters yes, the distant buildings/cityscapes rendering plays a huge role in the overall presentation.

Having an effect on the overall appearance is far from being comparable to what rendering in full detail entails.

And I was obviously playing with Adam's disingenuity there.
I understand that this was the case, but I dont see that saying that in that area XSX works at 12+ fps vs lost detail of the ground and distant buildings is differing from reality.

You're saying those images are fake or?

Genuine question, I don't play Fortnite nor watch every DF comparison.

I am simply saying that there is an analysis of DF based on an interview with Epic itself where such a situation is stated and it is also supported by 1:1 comparisons in captures and video.

You also have comparisons on YouTube and the internet as many as you want in the same terms as that one and that do not show those divergences.

Furthermore, if you know how Nanite works (and the matrix demo is a good source) you will know that the polygon adjustment is constant, it is just that it is practically impossible to appreciate it.

I have played Fornite in both versions and even as a way of comparing one against the other and it was impossible for me to discover any differences except that the environment has changing elements and vegetation on every match..... From there, of course arround Fornite you cant explain what is happening in Robocop.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

That's the guy who said DF and NXG were lying, and then got bitch slapped by both.
It is irrelevant, that comparison is true. I don't know if it is a reliable type or not, but this comparison does not show anything false. The asphalt thing can be seen at first glance to coincide with the problem that DF highlights in the Xbox versions, and the difference in framerate coincides.

It's easy for you, see for yourself. In gunfights the XSX version is much more stable. The DF comparison at no time directly compares them under stress.

I hope VG Tech is encouraged to do an analysis. I'm pretty convinced that the XSX's +10fps performance holds up not only in the city, but also in many other areas of the game. If you don't have different versions to try, watch those same areas on Youtube at 60fps. The PS5 version can be seen at first glance that it tends to lose frames more frequently when there is a stress area.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

There's a quote from Epic saying the only difference is the resolution?
Technically no, but if in a technical analysis they bothered to highlight the (tiny) resolution difference, why wouldn't they point out that Nanite works better on PS5?

If you're talking about how Fortnite and UE5 work on consoles and the developers highlight the difference in resolution... presumably that's because it's the only difference, right?

They certainly don't literally say "it's the only difference", but it's adding 2+2.

Darsxx82

There's a quote from Epic saying the only difference is the resolution?
The fact that nothing was said about it in the conversations and only the sligth difference in resolution was pointed out should tell you everything. But I understand that your prejudices towards DF lead you to think that they hide or lie about what was said in those conversations....

PS. That article and conversations are from Jonh. Supposedly for you here Jonh is not blind and is reliable and honest appreciating differences.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The fact that nothing was said about it in the conversations and only the difference in resolution was pointed out should tell you everything. But I understand that your prejudices towards DF lead you to think that they hide or lie about what was said in those conversations....

PS. That article and conversations are from Jonh. Supposedly for you Jonh is not blind and is reliable in appreciating differences.
So you admit you made it up?

Last edited:

Darsxx82

So you admit you made it up?
So you are accusing Df (Jonh) of hiding information from those conversations and that he only indicated XSX's advantage in resolution in an act of bias?

I love it when peple start sharpening and squeeze the rules of literality....😂

Last edited:

Mr Moose

So you are accusing Df (Jonh) of hiding information from those conversations and that he only indicated XSX's advantage in resolution in an act of bias?

I love it when peple start sharpening and squeeze the rules of literality....😂
Did Epic say the only difference is resolution? Yes or no?
It is you who claimed that, not John, unless I missed a quote.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Did Epic say the only difference is resolution? Yes or no?
It is you who claimed that, not John, unless I missed a quote.
"Let's start with the good stuff: based on our conversations with Epic..."

We can continue as long as you want....

Are you wanting to assume that in those conversations DF (Jonh) did not discuss the capabilities of both consoles with respect to Nanite and Lumen (something that even at that time was a key question in the face of so much opacity)?

That DF did not question about that issue or what did they hide the answer?

Or that Epic omitted that issue and saw it reasonable to highlight a sligth resolution advantage of XSX?

Yes, of course that's what you're doing...

Last edited:
This was pulled from the DefaultDeviceProfiles.ini file from the PC version. I assume these are the settings used by the PS5 and XSX and XSS for the game.

My PC settings ini for reference. Game set to High profile with Effects turned to Epic (controls Global illumination quality) and with High Quality Lumen Enabled. Also have DLSS Balanced on.

PC Settings
[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.ResolutionQuality=71
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=3
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=2
sg.ShadowQuality=2
sg.GlobalIlluminationQuality=2
sg.ReflectionQuality=3
sg.PostProcessQuality=2
sg.TextureQuality=2
sg.EffectsQuality=3
sg.FoliageQuality=2
sg.ShadingQuality=2

Base PS5 Settings. Apply to PS5 unless setting is different in the Performance or Quality Profile

[PS5 DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=PS5
BaseProfileName=PS5_Base
+CVars=r.DistanceFields.MaxPerMeshResolution=64
+CVars=Vrr=TypeA
+CVars=foliage.DensityScale=0.8
+CVars=r.SeparateTranslucencyScreenPercentage=100
+CVars=r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=0.8
+CVars=r.Streaming.PoolSize=4500
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=3
+CVars=r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=16
+CVars=r.TemporalAA.Upsampling=1
+CVars=r.Upscale.Quality=3
+CVars=r.nanite.asyncrestrization.shadowdepths=0

[PS5_Performance DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=PS5
BaseProfileName=PS5
+CVars=t.maxfps=60
+CVars=nvn.syncinterval=1
+CVars=rhi.syncinterval=1
+CVars=r.GTSyncType=1
+CVars=r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.OperationMode=2
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.FrameTimeBudget=16.66
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.MinScreenPercentage=60
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.MaxScreenPercentage=100
+CVars=sg.ReflectionQuality=2
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=2 (Default for PS5 is 3)
+CVars=sg.ShadingQuality=2
+CVars=sg.GlobalIlluminationQuality=2
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=1
+CVars=sg.FoliageQuality=2
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=2
+CVars=r.separateTranslucencyScreenPercentage=50
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=2
+CVars=PS5.DefaultBackBufferWidth=1920
+CVars=PS5.DefaultBackBufferHeight=1080
+CVars=r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=0.7
+CVars=sg.globalilluminantionquality=2

[PS5_Quality DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=PS5
BaseProfileName=PS5
+CVars=t.maxfps=30
+CVars=rhi.syncinterval=2
+CVars=r.GTSyncType=2
+CVars=r.OneFrameThreadLag=1
+CVars=rhi.SyncSlackMS=0
+CVars=PS5.DefaultBackBufferWidth=2560
+CVars=PS5.DefaultBackBufferHeight=1440
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.FrameTimeBudget=33.3
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.MinScreenPercentage=55
+CVars=sg.globalilluminantionquality=3

Base XSX/XSS Settings. Apply to Xbox unless setting is different in the Performance or Quality Profile or XSX (Anaconda) or XSS (Lockhart)
[XSX DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=XSX
BaseProfileName=
+CVars=r.Vsync=1
+CVars=r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
+CVars=r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=16
+CVars=r.DistanceFields.MaxPerMeshResolution=64
+CVars=r.nanite.asyncrestrization.shadowdepths=0
+CVars=r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0
+CVars=r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=2
+CVars=r.D3D12.Depth24Bit=0
+CVars=media.CachedSamplesQueueDepth=0
+CVars=r.Shadow.DistanceScale=0.7
+CVars=r.SSS.Scale=1
+CVars=r.SubsurfaceScattering=1
+CVars=r.BloomQuality=4
+CVars=r.SceneColorFormat=3
+CVars=r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=0.8
+CVars=r.SSR.Quality=3
+CVars=r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
+CVars=r.particlelightquality=1
+CVars=xb.defaultGamertagComponent=UniqueModern

[XSX_Anaconda DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=XSX
BaseProfileName=XSX
bIsVisibleForAssets=False
+CVars=r.Streaming.PoolSize=4200
+CVars=r.MaxTextureSize=2048
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=2

[XSX_Lockhart DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=XSX
BaseProfileName=XSX
bIsVisibleForAssets=False
+CVars=r.Vsync=1
+CVars=t.maxfps=30
+CVars=r.GTSyncType=2
+CVars=rhi.SyncSlackMS=0
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.FrameTimeBudget=33.3
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.MinScreenPercentage=50
+CVars=sg.globalilluminantionquality=1
+CVars=r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=1
+CVars=r.Shadow.DistanceScale=0.7
+CVars=sg.ReflectionQuality=1
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=1
+CVars=sg.ShadingQuality=2
+CVars=sg.GlobalIlluminationQuality=1
+CVars=sg.FoliageQuality=1
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=1
+CVars=r.Streaming.PoolSize=700
+CVars=r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=0.7
+CVars=r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24
+CVars=r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize=32
+CVars=r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1
+CVars=r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
+CVars=r.Streaming.MaxEffectiveScreenSize=1
+CVars=r.DistanceFields.MaxPerMeshResolution=128
+CVars=r.vt.tlesize=64
+CVars=r.MaxTextureSize=512
+CVars=r.Shadow.MaxCSMResolution=256
+CVars=r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3
+CVars=r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=2
+CVars=r.VirtualShadowMapBufferSize=256
+CVars=r.Lumen.tracedistancescale=0.75
+CVars=r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.GridPixelSize=64
+CVars=r.Nanite.Streaming.StreamingPoolSize=128
+CVars=r.DistanceFields.BrickAtlasMaxSizeZ=16
+CVars=r.Streaming.PooledTextureAllowDynamicallyChangingPoolSize=False
+CVars=r.MaxAnisotropy=8
+CVars=r.VT.MaxAnisotropy=8
+CVars=r.Streaming.MipBias=1
+CVars=r.Lumen.Reflections.Allow=0
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=1

[XSX_Performance DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=XSX
BaseProfileName=XSX_Anaconda
+CVars=t.maxfps=60
+CVars=rhi.syncinterval=1
+CVars=r.GTSyncType=1
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.FrameTimeBudget=16.66
+CVars=r.DynamicRes.MinScreenPercentage=75
+CVars=sg.ReflectionQuality=2
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=2
+CVars=sg.FoliageQuality=2
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=2
+CVars=r.MaterialQualityLevel=0 (PS5 set to 1)
+CVars=Anaconda.BackbufferResX=1920
+CVars=Anaconda.BackbufferResY=1080
+CVars=sg.globalilluminantionquality=2

[XSX_Quality DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=XSX
BaseProfileName=XSX_Anaconda
+CVars=t.maxfps=30
+CVars=r.GTSyncType=2