• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Retro EX - System Shock Remake - Digital Foundry Tech Review

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Nightdive Studios produces some of its most ambitious work yet as it finally delivers its long-awaited remake of the classic immersive sim, System Shock. In this DF Retro EX episode, John goes into depth on what made the original game such a classic, how the remake modernises the game and how well it performs.

00:00 - Introduction
01:40 - A Brief History of Shock
04:54 - The Visuals of System Shock
13:31 - Performance Testing
18:39 - The Audio of System Shock
22:25 - Interface and Gameplay Discussion

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
The only game I played from the man was original Bioshock and loved it, should give it a go to this one... Depending on how it runs of course, haven't checked the video

Ulysses 31

Kinda wish the remake stuck closer to the ending of the original which was a little more upbeat, the new one ends very abruptly with a bizarre music choice and is more nihilistic.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I can't justify to buy a new PC just for this game but my current one won't be able to play this.

And the wait for the console release is killing me.

Decisions, decisions...

Umbasaborne

Banned
Damn this looks good. Definitely picking it up soon, problem is the only things i really want to play right now are diablo and zelda

HL3.exe

The only game I played from the man was original Bioshock and loved it, should give it a go to this one... Depending on how it runs of course, haven't checked the video
'From the man' meaning Ken Levine?

Levine isn't responsible for SS1. That would be Doug Church (founder of the Immersive Sim design) and Warren Spector (Deus Ex).

Tarin02543

for anyone playing this on a tv there is a solution to increase the UI size, just find it in the discussions on steam

i can now play the game :)

Banned
I concluded I rather reinstall SS. Don’t mind old man me, I just think graphically videogames today have a poor set of rendering features when playing them.

I am kinda bummed out that it has no RT reflections and instead uses SSR, which is one of the modern rendering features I want to be banished to hell 😡

Gp1

I'm running this even on my shitty ryzen 3500u with Vega 8 "work" laptop.

It's really light on the hardware. This can probably run at 120hz on the current gen consoles.

Last edited:
I am kinda bummed out that it has no RT reflections and instead uses SSR, which is one of the modern rendering features I want to be banished to hell 😡
Lol I feel that way about ‘videogame ambient occlusion’, shit is so bad, like literally one of the worst things to happen to videogames, jesus.

Banned
Lol I feel that way about ‘videogame ambient occlusion’, shit is so bad, like literally one of the worst things to happen to videogames, jesus.

another screen space based effect.
screen space [anything] is just cancer.

basically graphics glitches that somehow got promoted to "features".

and why? because they look fancy and realistic in tightly curated still images.
as soon as you see any screen space effect in motion however it's just a glitchfest

Buggy Loop

Was System shock in 1994 the first game that used slopes/elevation? Didn't notice this until John mentioned it. For a game that released ~10 months after Doom, it's way ahead of anything else in that period for basically creating the immersive genre.

winjer

Gold Member
Man Johns videos are just on another level, expected an Alex one but pleasantly surprised.

This game looks SO damn good and I wish i wasn't so fuckin busy

So true. Because this is a PC exclusive, I immediately thought it would be Alex covering it. And that would mean the usual whine about stutter and lack of ray-tracing.
Fortunately, it was done by John, a guy that really likes games and tech. It was a really good video that highlighted why the original was good and why this remake does it justice.

and why? because they look fancy and realistic in tightly curated still images.

as soon as you see any screen space effect in motion however it's just a glitchfest
My man, 01011001! You know what the fuck you're talking about, oh my goodness!

I looked a little at your post history, 01011001 you're the truth bro.

Kataploom

Gold Member
'From the man' meaning Ken Levine?

Levine isn't responsible for SS1. That would be Doug Church (founder of the Immersive Sim design) and Warren Spector (Deus Ex).
I meant Levin but didn't know he wasn't for first one, thanks for clarifying

stranno

I wonder how Bungie's Marathon reboot will look like. The teaser has a weird art direction.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Was System shock in 1994 the first game that used slopes/elevation? Didn't notice this until John mentioned it. For a game that released ~10 months after Doom, it's way ahead of anything else in that period for basically creating the immersive genre.
2.5d games like Doom allowed for slopes and elevation, they just had flat maps 2d with height data where you could not do things like put platforms on top of each other. System Shock built on Ultima Underworld which had true 3d maps and texture mapping. But, at the time, Origin probably cared more about wow factor and screenshots than getting it to run at more than 10fps. I can't remember if earlier block or wireframe game had true 3d maps, but the 2.5 trend to have playable 3d action games at reasonable framerates was a 90s thing and a step up from previous 3d games, not a step back.

Banned
My man, 01011001! You know what the fuck you're talking about, oh my goodness!

I looked a little at your post history, 01011001 you're the truth bro.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

stranno

Bethesda's The Terminator: Future Shock was pretty ahead of it's time as well, when it comes to vertical design.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really like how this game looks, and my PC is no slouch (5800X3d/3080) but the game runs extremely well. I didn't notice any stutters but maybe it's because my CPU crunched through the compilations.

Senua

So true. Because this is a PC exclusive, I immediately thought it would be Alex covering it. And that would mean the usual whine about stutter and lack of ray-tracing.
Fortunately, it was done by John, a guy that really likes games and tech. It was a really good video that highlighted why the original was good and why this remake does it justice.
I mean I feel Alex's pain, but I more just meant John's editing is far superior and his experience clearly comes through on his analysis. I have to honest I barely watch any DF videos that aren't Rich or John, I watch Alex for a new PC release for good settings and just to gain some geeky knowledge.

scydrex

If they release this for console would think of buying it. This game on psvr2 would been awesome.

Last edited:

sachos

It has such an unique garish and geometric look to it, kinda like a glowing plastic neon look at times, it's hard for me to get used to. I wasnt familiar with the original game but looking at this comparison its clear they did an amazing job modernizing the original game's look while maintaing the original aesthetics.

acm2000

love how this remake looks, the original was just a bit too hardcore for me back in the day but if this ever comes to game pass i would def give it a try, dont think i have enough interest to pay hard dorra for it tho.

Lunarorbit

I know it's relatively light on system requirements, but I wish it also gets a console release sooner rather than later.
I've heard about this game for 20 years it feels like and am eagerly awaiting a console release. I only saw 1 trailer and it looked wicked trippy!

Definitely feel the bioshock connection with a cross between the old Disney Black Hole movie and this.

Top Bottom