• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remake | Review Thread

Brock2621

This sold me on it, I loved 2 and the Bioshock games so going back to its roots should be a nice time

Watched ACG's review and I think this looks like a decent pickup and play. If it truly is only a dozen or so hours on easy, I might forego my pride and just enjoy the weekend ride down memory lane. Cool stuff

gothmog

Gold Member
I'll pick it up on a sale later this year. Nostalgia isn't worth as much as it used to apparently. Back when it was announced I would have paid top dollar.

Those negatives don't sound super negative to me. Will still be picking this up although the full price tag is maybe a bit much, not decided.
Yeah 39.99 is a bit much, I think that price might hurt its initial sales. I was expecting like $30 at most but I will likely still get it tomorrow.

GHG

Anyone know if pre-ordering via a third party site (looking at fanatical or cdkeys) will still get you the system shock 2 enhanced edition pre-order bonus?

Or do I need to do it via steam to make sure of that?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Those gore splatters are so good

Visuals are good, sound is good, music is good, mechanics and gun animations are good. They nailed it.

It seems this game will differentiate those who played old school system shock and those who didn't.

Fucking sucks i'm balls deep in Zelda
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

McGILLAZ

Does the final version include Public Image Ltd.'s Order of Death? Nice homage to Richard Stanley's 1990 Sci Fi film, Hardware.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I love immersive sims, so I was really interested in the game and downloaded the Demo

"Unforgiving" is the right word to describe it. The game has almost no tutorials, UI is busy as fuck, enemies hit hard, items and interactive objects in the scenes arent highlighted so you really have to take a closer look into everything and etc.

It looks like a 2023 game but plays like a game of that era.

For newcomers, I found it really hard to get into.

A hardcore experience through and through
I quit the demo after a bit. I would’ve liked to see some enhancements and polish added. This is just a coat of paint.

amigastar

So yeah, after watching all of the video it really is a great game it seems, very true to it's origins for better and worse. Not for eveyone but for the more "hardcore" (i don't wanna use the term here but it seems it fits)
I have to say i'm really interested in this game now.
Anyways another great additon to the year 2023.

Last edited:

Kacho

It seems this game will differentiate those who played old school system shock and those who didn't.
Yep.

Looks great. Don’t have time for this with D4 this week but I’ll get around to it eventually. Hopefully before BG3 and Starfield. The rest of the year is absurdly packed.

Corian33

Interested despite the scores. I absolutely loved System Shock 2 as a kid. Even managed to play the janky co-op with a friend.

Tried to play the original but even back then the controls were too clumsy. The atmosphere was incredible though. Playing a newer version with decent controls would be great.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's a shame it's not higher. From my experience it delivers for a game from that era. You can't expect them to completely remake the game top to bottom. They made some changes and adjustments, but a lot of it is still intact, and I respect that. Especially for a game from 94.

I preordered it and will play it ASAP. 🙏🏻

bender

What time is it?
...kudos to Nightdive studios.

Reviews aside, nah. A KS project from 2016 with an estimated delivery of Dec. 2017 that finally arrives in 2023 but only on one of the announced platforms with no details on remaining platforms deserves no praise. It's not like they are an inexperienced developer and also released eight other projects during timeframe.

amigastar

They set out to do exactly what they were supposed to do. Sucks that they’re being negatively scored on that, but kudos to Nightdive studios.

Hopefully System shock 2 next
Absolutely agree, I was planning to play SS2 first but now i wanna play this remake. SS2 Remake would be splendid. We know that it would turn out faithful to the original.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only thing that looks off is the bad textures to make it a mix of new and old graphics.

Obviously the "style" they wanted, but just doesn't mix well.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's a funny thing but even though System Shock is one of my favorite games for its time I don't feel a lot of draw to this one. Even back then the level design was a bit..abstract.

Put a cameo poster of Link from Zelda on a wall on the start screen, and then say that this remake is the first video game ever to use a mouse to aim and shoot and the scores will rise up to 95 or higher in no time.

I never played the original but really want to try this as being a massive fan of Bioshock and Prey. Also in the middle of reading Press Restart and System Shock is brought up a number of times, gotta see what the fuss is about.

Roni

Gold Member
Put a cameo poster of Link from Zelda on a wall on the start screen, and then say that this remake is the first video game ever to use a mouse to aim and shoot and the scores will rise up to 95 or higher in no time.
We need a salt reaction on NeoGAF.

Gonna sit and watch a few reviews because I'm not believing those scores if the game is faithful to the original. I need more context to these reviews.

Mozzarella

I may try it later, i dont like how it looks from art style point, but i would like to play it later just because i really love SS2.
The reviews are a bit on the lower side, i know they would like to be safe with the 7's and 8's for these type of games, but most of the issues im reading feel like no issues to me, so idk.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I tried playing the original but didn't get very far, even if these scores aren't that great I might still bite just to see what it's all about.
It's for sure the best way to enjoy this game now.

I think this game very clearly delivers on its pitch, a game that very much keeps the bones of the original, even as it offers remade graphics and quality of life improvements. I find it way more approachable than the original version, but it's still old school in many ways, because it's fundamentally still the same game as the original.

And that's important. If your goal is really to make an improved version of a classic game, there's only so much you can change before it's no longer the same game.

Top Bottom