• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star Wars Jedi Survivor, from one of the worst PC ports to one of the best

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
LMAO, nah. It's still complete garbage.

Mostly the same issues as before.

• Menu is still somewhat buggy albeit less than before. Sometimes the mouse disappears and it won't register your inputs
  • DLSS is far better than FSR. Cleaner image, less fizzling, better particles resolve
  • CPU-limited performance at low settings has dramatically improved by as much as 25% on a Ryzen 3600 or up to 50% on a 12900K
  • Shader compilation appears on screen at every boot and take 40 seconds on a 12900K but does nothing after the first round
  • Still a stuttery mess no matter your system
  • CPU-limited performance has not improved at Epic or even High settings, it will still tank
  • Frame generation does little to alleviate all the issues. The frame rate is nominally twice as high but the stutters are still just as bad
  • Animation rate and camera still have the same problem where they skip ahead
  • Still a trash port

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TLOU Part 1 is that update for me. From worst to best. Honestly, Star Wars was at least playable at launch, but tlou was much worse. Now Star Wars is still a shitshow while TLOU to me is the best PC port in years. It has a great shader building system that finishes quite quick nowadays and doesnt do it on every single boot like hogwarts and star wars. It has some excellent new PC settings that let you customize visuals just in case you were fucked over by nvidia's cheap vram cutbacks. You can push the resolution while streaming in data at a lower rate in case you are vram bound with enough gpu horsepower to run the game at 4k. it's honestly fantastic.

Lots of new cpu bound settings too. Im honestly blown away by how much they've improved it given how poor it was at launch.

JeloSWE

Glad I waited, I will not be picking this CPU limited, every boot shader compiling, stutt..ttt...ttery piece of game up on any platt..tt..t..form.

Last edited:
I've just completed Jedi Survivor on PC, so this is fairly fresh.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay (story abit trash to be honest), the performance was variable. Weirdly, it seemed to get worse as I progressed through the story. It's playable, but its lacking the polish.

Also, the navigation of the menu drove me insane.

LMAO, nah. It's still complete garbage.

Mostly the same issues as before.

• Menu is still somewhat buggy albeit less than before. Sometimes the mouse disappears and it won't register your inputs
  • DLSS is far better than FSR. Cleaner image, less fizzling, better particles resolve
  • CPU-limited performance at low settings has dramatically improved by as much as 25% on a Ryzen 3600 or up to 50% on a 12900K
  • Shader compilation appears on screen at every boot and take 40 seconds on a 12900K but does nothing after the first round
  • Still a stuttery mess no matter your system
  • CPU-limited performance has not improved at Epic or even High settings, it will still tank
  • Frame generation does little to alleviate all the issues. The frame rate is nominally twice as high but the stutters are still just as bad
  • Animation rate and camera still have the same problem where they skip ahead
  • Still a trash port

Yo you had me with that title. I thought to myself "no way that's a real DF video and if it is no waaaaaay Alex made it" 🤣🤣🤣, you made me rush to the DF YouTube page.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I really want to play this but they fucked up the Quality Mode on PS5 even more and it's size is stupid

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Is this Respawn? They seem fucking incompetent. What happened to them?
It boggles the mind that even launch version of Fallen Order didn't have 99,9% of all of these issues and it was made by the same people, on the same goddamn engine. Meanwhile, Arkham Knight, one of the worst PC ports ever released.... 5K 60 FPS now on a 3080Ti.

It can't be coincidence that Stig left after all of this. WTF is going on at Respawn?

T4keD0wN

Jesus, he clearly held back a lot and he exposed their incompetence and the embarrassing lack of quality put into this product.

Last edited:

apowhungo

picked it up on sale for PS5 last week, performance has been consistently great except for cutscenes but who cares about those

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don’t get it.. is it one of the best or a trash port?

It's still a thrash port unfortunately. If you're interested in playing it, get the console version.

damidu

I don’t get it.. is it one of the best or a trash port?
its trash of highest calibre,
every cutscene starts with 5 seconds full stop stutter. you can barely keep up with the plot.
not even mentioning constant traversal stutter.

zero reason to believe they’ll ever fix it at this point. been half a year already.

console is the way to go currently

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Being bought by EA happened.
EA let them delay the game out of their fiscal year. Something EA did not allow Bioware to do for Mass Effect 3, Andromeda and Anthem.

Respawn refused to delay the game further and shipped on April 28th despite EA wanting to give them a longer delay. The director admitted this in an IGN interview.

Its not a surprise that the director has been sent packing. He fucked up the project. This is not on EA. EA actually shipped Dead Space remake out of the coveted holiday release to give the team more time. of course, that team fucked it up too. sometimes the devs are the problem.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It’s a shame because the game needs RT to not look like total dog shit . Without RT the game has no real reflections.

So I could get ps5 performance mode and be looking at a ps3 game. Or I can get pc and stutter to oblivion.

People on here still claiming this game is good… in a year filled to the gills with amazing games. Baffles the mind.

darrylgorn

Digital Foundry: Star Wars Jedi Survivor, from one of the worst PC ports to one of the best​

Mad Max Reaction GIF

Garibaldi

I'm finding it ok (not brilliant, just ok, similar perf to the first game) locking to 60, epic settings, quality DLSS, 3840x1600. It's utterly unplayable if you enable RT but if you disable it, it seems more than playable for not a lot of loss.

5950x,3090

Skifi28

It’s a shame because the game needs RT to not look like total dog shit . Without RT the game has no real reflections.

So I could get ps5 performance mode and be looking at a ps3 game. Or I can get pc and stutter to oblivion.

People on here still claiming this game is good… in a year filled to the gills with amazing games. Baffles the mind.
Sure, reflections are bad, probably worse than most games in select spots. But you're still not left with a PS3 looking games, it looks quite good most of the time.

Last edited:

baphomet

it definitely works better than it did at launch.

I wasn't getting a bunch of stutters after the update, but it could be brute forcing some of it? Nowhere near the stutters at launch.

john2gr

It's still a thrash port unfortunately. If you're interested in playing it, get the console version.

See, this is where Digital Foundry is to be blamed. The console version plays and looks WORSE than the PC version on high-end PCs. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Oh, and that animation "glitch" is also in the console version. So contrary to what Alex is saying "All PCs will have this issue", the correct statement is "All platforms have this issue". So, basically, he throws under the bus all the DF console reviewers we haven't reported on it. Nothing wrong with Alex BTW, he should be critical about these issues. HOWEVER, the same applies to those covering the console versions. It just shows you the completely different approach to their console tech coverage (and how easy they are on consoles).

So, I find it funny and ironic that they have two videos in which they praise the console version but criticize the PC version. This is the definition of double standards. And they are basically misleading people at this point (who believe that the console version runs better than the PC version on high-end systems when that's not the case).

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I wonder if these issues from launch are still there?

The above cannot be done by anything else than a junior developer with no peer review from seniors in the team. Like nobody should be pushing this code with the performance graphs it has.

So who expects deep fixes when the foundation is shit?

By the way, these micro benchmarks bring an interesting question : what the fuck is Digital Foundry doing? Their frame analysis is baby steps compared to what tools on PC can do. You can see on unreal games every calls, every stalls. This would be more pertinent to showcase how huge of a fuckup devs made than frame times.

Kataploom

Gold Member
TLOU Part 1 is that update for me. From worst to best. Honestly, Star Wars was at least playable at launch, but tlou was much worse. Now Star Wars is still a shitshow while TLOU to me is the best PC port in years. It has a great shader building system that finishes quite quick nowadays and doesnt do it on every single boot like hogwarts and star wars. It has some excellent new PC settings that let you customize visuals just in case you were fucked over by nvidia's cheap vram cutbacks. You can push the resolution while streaming in data at a lower rate in case you are vram bound with enough gpu horsepower to run the game at 4k. it's honestly fantastic.

Lots of new cpu bound settings too. Im honestly blown away by how much they've improved it given how poor it was at launch.
TLOU is still bad, they fixed bugs but still requires way higher rig to run properly than other current gen games. The CPU utilization is so high it's a bad joke, never seen anything like that EVER in any other game... If you told something like Starfield which is open world, bethesda (which makes is unoptimized by default lol), ok, but even that one is way better on CPU side... TLOU is also a pretty linear game with barely anything happening.

I'm thinking on getting a PS5 soon btw, so I'm saving some games for it and Jedi Survivor might be one, but I'll it on PC if it gets fixed before.

Last edited:

damidu

See, this is where Digital Foundry is to be blamed. The console version plays and looks WORSE than the PC version on high-end PCs. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Oh, and that animation "glitch" is also in the console version. So contrary to what Alex is saying "All PCs will have this issue", the correct statement is "All platforms have this issue". So, basically, he throws under the bus all the DF console reviewers we haven't reported on it. Nothing wrong with Alex BTW, he should be critical about these issues. HOWEVER, the same applies to those covering the console versions. It just shows you the completely different approach to their console tech coverage (and how easy they are on consoles).

So, I find it funny and ironic that they have two videos in which they praise the console version but criticize the PC version. This is the definition of double standards. And they are basically misleading people at this point (who believe that the console version runs better than the PC version on high-end systems when that's not the case).
bullshit, i played two versions
console version plays leagues better at this point.
there is night and day difference.
pc version is a unplayable mess through and through.

you have constant stutters all the time.
going in and out every cutscene you have basically 4 seconds hitches. after which audio and video abruptly catches up.
none of that happen on console.

gtfo with moronic platform wars thing and demand better for the system you paid thousands for.

john2gr

bullshit, i played two versions
console version plays leagues better at this point.
there is night and day difference.
pc version is a unplayable mess through and through.

you have constant stutters all the time.
going in and out every cutscene you have basically 4 seconds hitches. after which audio and video abruptly catches up.
none of that happen on console.

gtfo with moronic platform wars thing and demand better for the system you paid thousands for.

You can CLEARLY see the frametime spikes/stutters in the console performance mode (from 16.5ms to 33.3ms), you don't even have to slowdown the video. That's with Patch 7. If you haven't noticed the traversal stutters on consoles, you won't notice them on PC. Period. This is a fact. This has nothing to do with platform wars.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Too bad, because I've enjoyed the game until the latter part of the second planet. And now RT just broke and patches did nothing.

damidu

You can CLEARLY see the frametime spikes/stutters in the console performance mode (from 16.5ms to 33.3ms), you don't even have to slowdown the video. That's with Patch 7. If you haven't noticed the traversal stutters on consoles, you won't notice them on PC. Period. This is a fact. This has nothing to do with platform wars.

oh my!
i tried the game on a 4070 and ps5
i dont need to forensic analyze a video for timstamping to prove point.
its unplayable mess on pc. refunded in 90 minutes. while im having a blast on console.

your timestamp is basically from the worst performing section of the whole game in all platforms btw, its not representative of %95 of your playtime. while the pc version stutters everywhere, all the time

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
People jumping to this thread to post "glad I waited"

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Koboh is the only real problematic stuttering fest, the other places are smaller in scale and you guys should be fine. Even Koboh, its just something you have to deal with. Restart the game once every hour or so. It's a good game but shame the performance ruined it, because level design is incredible, story has some nice moments, combat is fun, animations are shit. Respawn just needs better tech/animators and they could reach God of War levels with the third game, but I dont think we'll get another one.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No, it's not. I'm glad I waited as I didnt have to deal with it.
Well in case you havent seen the video, you may still have to wait, forever, if you dont want stutters anymore. Like I said, its just something you have to deal with it. If you cant, then just play something else I guess. Pls do tell you have watched the video and didnt just read the topic bait title. Also my post was about PC version as is the topic.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Well in case you havent seen the video, you may still have to wait, forever, if you dont want stutters anymore. Like I said, its just something you have to deal with it. If you cant, then just play something else I guess. Pls do tell you have watched the video and didnt just read the topic bait title. Also my post was about PC version as is the topic.
And like I said above, I'm glad I waited to see which version got fixed first to buy that and not deal with most of these issues.

T-0800

It's like some companies want to purposely devalue their games. Our options are to buy a game for full price that isn't finished or wait and get it half price (or less) patched/updated a few months later.

TrebleShot

Eh it’s ok, it still has traversal micro hitching. Its not an amazing experience on PC

winjer

Gold Member
People jumping to this thread to post "glad I waited"

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Koboh is the only real problematic stuttering fest, the other places are smaller in scale and you guys should be fine. Even Koboh, its just something you have to deal with. Restart the game once every hour or so. It's a good game but shame the performance ruined it, because level design is incredible, story has some nice moments, combat is fun, animations are shit. Respawn just needs better tech/animators and they could reach God of War levels with the third game, but I dont think we'll get another one.

Exactly. Only Koboh has these performance issues. And even then, it's mostly in the towns with more NPCs and enemies.
The rest of the game runs well enough, with good performance and only some rare stutters.

I have seen games in recent years, running much worse than this game.
For example, Darktide still runs like trash. With terrible frame pacing, stutters and lots of performance drops.
But for some reason, Alex pretended this game was ok.

Top Bottom