• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Xbox Series X Reveal Analysis: How Next-Gen Redefines Console Design

Bullet Club

Banned

Rich is back from vacation - and he's got some thoughts on the Xbox Series X reveal. Just how powerful is the hardware? How many GPU teraflops are there and how do they relate to game performance? And what about the memory and NVMe PCI Express solution? Oh - and just how is the box shaped like that?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Senua

Again? It is the 3rd thread with the same title.

Article from Dec 19: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

hvTWfVz.png

Last edited:

Genx3

In that video he mentions that launching at $600 could be a problem.
$600 in 2006 is not the same as $600 in 2019. Inflation is real.
Using the PS3 as an example of why you shouldn't launch at $600 is not a good comparison. The problem with the PS3 launching at $600 was that you could buy an Xbox 360 that ran the majority of games better than PS3 for $400. $200 is a significant amount. People are not willing to pay more for less performance as proven by both the PS3 and XB1 that had Kinect for $500.

What the weak PS4 and XB1 hardware showed us is that its better to pay more upfront for a console than have to buy a Mid gen refresh. That creates a better baseline for graphics that can sustain a whole 6 year console gen. As long as there isn't a $400 box that has equal hardware to the $600 box I don't think $600 will be a problem in 2020. Naturally as the costs of manufacturing drop they can also drop the price of the console.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What that means?

It is the same thread opened three times lol

Last edited:

yurqqa

What the weak PS4 and XB1 hardware showed us is that its better to pay more upfront for a console than have to buy a Mid gen refresh. That creates a better baseline for graphics that can sustain a whole 6 year console gen.

Are you sure that the target of platform holders is to sell the console once and then sell no new hardware for 6 more years ?

I think the strategy this gen is perfect for platform holders.

Genx3

Are you sure that the target of platform holders is to sell the console once and then sell no new hardware for 6 more years ?

I think the strategy this gen is perfect for platform holders.

I think 1 Super powerful Console at launch is better for gamers.
This gen's strategy is probably better for platform holders.
Sell weak, cheap hardware at cost. When the cost of manufacturing drops you earn a profit. 3 years in Hardcore gamers quickly tire of the weak HW creating a desire for improved HW. Sell improved HW at cost again without ever taking a loss.

Dr.D00p

I bet the lucky bastard has already had an invite from Microsoft to visit Xbox HQ in Q1/Q2 2020 for an exclusive look at the hardware.

Using the PS3 as an example of why you shouldn't launch at $600 is not a good comparison. The problem with the PS3 launching at $600 was that you could buy an Xbox 360 that ran the majority of games better than PS3 for $400. $200 is a significant amount. People are not willing to pay more for less performance as proven by both the PS3 and XB1 that had Kinect for $500.

What the weak PS4 and XB1 hardware showed us is that its better to pay more upfront for a console than have to buy a Mid gen refresh. That creates a better baseline for graphics that can sustain a whole 6 year console gen. As long as there isn't a $400 box that has equal hardware to the $600 box I don't think $600 will be a problem in 2020. Naturally as the costs of manufacturing drop they can also drop the price of the console.
If any of these consoles launch at that ridiculous price then I'll have to hold out for a while.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think 1 Super powerful Console at launch is better for gamers.
This gen's strategy is probably better for platform holders.
Sell weak, cheap hardware at cost. When the cost of manufacturing drops you earn a profit. 3 years in Hardcore gamers quickly tire of the weak HW creating a desire for improved HW. Sell improved HW at cost again without ever taking a loss.

Yup, meanwhile they try to sell the major bullshit that such a strategy is needed because technology moves just tooo fast :LOL:.

Spencer did throw a bit of a spanner in the works with some damage control involving Moore’s Law slowing down, etc... first time one of the manufacturers kind of almost broke line over the “technology moves faster and faster each year” lie.

mejin

This is the best for the media to make some money with MS. Ain't no one stupid to say no to easy money.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If any of these consoles launch at that ridiculous price then I'll have to hold out for a while.

$600 for what you will likely get is a steal.

The trouble is, the price point is tainted now so much that even if they gave you a 2080ti with a free handjob, people would turn their nose up at it, simply because that price is now toxic.

So no, I don’t see them launching at $600, and think it’s suicide for either side.

Fake

So no, I don’t see them launching at $600, and think it’s suicide for either side.
I can see 600$ or lower because lockhart. If was one console so yes, but they're two models. They're doing Lockhart maybe thinking about the premium console cost.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RSB
$600 for what you will likely get is a steal.

The trouble is, the price point is tainted now so much that even if they gave you a 2080ti with a free handjob, people would turn their nose up at it, simply because that price is now toxic.

The thing is they could sell these consoles at a loss and still make a ton from software sales. Consoles are supposed to be affordable, that's their draw in the first place.

Consoles aren't PC's, and these consoles are going to be outdated when they launch anyway and, like this generation, games will continuously look better and better as time goes on. Since they'll be going for native 4k a lot of the time (we all know they will) most games will probably be 30 FPS regardless but I hope I'm wrong.

I can see 600$ or lower because lockhart. If was one console so yes, but they're two models. They're doing Lockhart maybe thinking about the premium console cost.

Lockhart is also equivalent to the Xbox One X, isn't it? And it doesn't have a disc drive, not worth it.

Last edited:

Fake

Lockhart is also equivalent to the Xbox One X, isn't it?
In what way?
Still Ryzen, still Navi RDNA. Probably downclock, less RAM, less Storage.
Weaker than XseX? Sure. Weaker than Xbox One X? With third generation Ryzen is impossible.

For me at least the mensage was 'Xbox series X was our next gen console', but now with two models will be more like 'Xbox series X will be our premium console'.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

How can these guys even chill for shit tier software like vhs without slamming on it hard directly.. Let's nuke image quality for faster framerate sounds great.

Imagine DSLL + VHS + Dynamic resolutions with motion blur.

KwfJZSW.jpg

Hey guys its 8k atleast right at 60 fps.

Last edited:

sendit

Last edited:

Fake

Wasn't the word of the street as powerful as One X GPU with RDNA features but massively more powerful CPU?
Will still don't know the exact specs from Lockhart or even if he will indeed come with a custom SSD like the seX.
As I said before, more powerful than Xbox One X will be for sure. Saying is powerful as PS5 without knowing both PS5 full specs and Lockhart specs its probably not correct.

Besides, 'massively more powerful CPU'... Loads of PR. I mean, who can't beat Jaguar CPU at this point? Ryzen is not only good, but Jaguar is also shit.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Will still don't know the exact specs from Lockhart or even if he will indeed come with a custom SSD like the seX.
As I said before, more powerful than Xbox One X will be for sure. Saying is powerful as PS5 without knowing both PS5 full specs and Lockhart specs its probably not correct.

Being as powerful as PS5 wouldn't make a lot of sense iff its going to be the budget box.

McCheese

Yet again DF manages to fill a long video with just "if we assume x then we can extrapolate that maybe y" with a few "according to developer sources" thrown in to mask that its complete guesswork for clicks, and doesn't come to any different conclusions than the same video from 6 months ago.

I get Series X is trending at the moment, and I understand we're at the end of a generation and so Digital Foundry don't have a ton of games to really cover, or new tech to discuss at this point, so they probably really need some clicks. But at least frame these videos as what they are, pure speculation. You cannot have a DF analysis from a very short "in-engine" vertical slice and a collection of random rumours.

When some actual facts do come out I wonder how they'll name those videos or articles so they don't get mixed in with these complete time wasters.

How come these tainted DF fuckers get so much space here?
D dark10x admitted singing MSFT's gospel straight from script.

Stop shitting on dark dude, he's a cool guy. Especially with the retro vids. The past is the past; let that shit go and move on it's the same like that anymore. Don't turn into Twitter.

This is the best for the media to make some money with MS. Ain't no one stupid to say no to easy money.

You guys gotta chill with this fanboy BS; if they made this video about Sony you would be drooling on and on about all the possibilities and how awesome it is. In fact, several channels (notably sized ones, too) already do that, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here :pie_thinking:

It's like people can only be either/or with these next-gen systems, can't be excited and optimistic for both simultaneously. That's kinda insane in my book. I'll be looking forward to the eventual PS5 vids from DF and others once something of an official reveal happens for that, too. Both of these systems have a lot of good going for them, no need for the fanboyism.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Does Lockheart even exist? Maybe it's just one beefy console, just Scarlet and that it?
In the XboxEra podcast someone said it maybe just blades for xcloud(things optimized for lockhart will run on xcloud). I mean Microsoft themselves said its called Series X, because there will be other versions later(indicating Scarlet home console is just Series X).

Stop shitting on dark dude, he's a cool guy. Especially with the retro vids. The past is the past; let that shit go and move on it's the same like that anymore. Don't turn into Twitter.

You guys gotta chill with this fanboy BS; if they made this video about Sony you would be drooling on and on about all the possibilities and how awesome it is. In fact, several channels (notably sized ones, too) already do that, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here :pie_thinking:

It's like people can only be either/or with these next-gen systems, can't be excited and optimistic for both simultaneously. That's kinda insane in my book. I'll be looking forward to the eventual PS5 vids from DF and others once something of an official reveal happens for that, too. Both of these systems have a lot of good going for them, no need for the fanboyism.

I got to admit, I'm surprised that after these type of comments this doushe is still here.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

Dial it way back on this type of driveby shitpost rhetoric.

I got to admit, I'm surprised that after these type of comments this doushe is still here.

Don’t add hypocritical fuel to the fire. Use the report feature. That post in question, was never reported.

Sony fanboys on GAF gets away with a lot of shit. You should get used to it by now

giphy.gif

You’ll be surprised how both sides are moderated the same. The mod staff does not choose “fanboy” sides. We read in context sometimes going back several pages to lead up to certain reports before we formulate action. We don’t just jump to snap judgements based solely on the reported post.

I am noticing a lot of meta on this, but very little to no reports being utilized in kind.

We can’t see everything, hence rely on the community to report the most serious derailments and trolling.

DrCheese

Inflation is real yes, but because of the financial crash back in 2008/09 most people over here (UK) have had stagnant wages for a good decade now & whist the economy is much stronger now, it's taking time for wages to go up. £600 (Because you know companies just change the $ to a £ without actually converting) will kill it stone cold dead here out of the gates. Especially when you have to buy accessories/games to make it worth while (Pushing the cost closer to 1k)

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Uhh, what? I beg to differ. If you actually followed my tastes you’d know how bullshit that is.

What’s funny is that I hear the exact opposite shit too from the other camp. None of that is accurate. I do not care about your console wars any longer. The games are what matters, not the boxes. They’re all generic PCs anyways. I’d rather play Mega Drive or Saturn any day over an Xbox One or PS4.

Oh, that’s the one gospel I do preach - Sega.

Believe it or not, it’s possible to be interested in technology and not be a jerk about it. Can people just discuss this stuff in peace? I do this all the time with Retro videos - comparing an contrasting different versions. It’s fun! Who gives a shit which console is better? The differences themselves are what’s neat.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Uhh, what? I beg to differ. If you actually followed my tastes you’d know how bullshit that is.

What’s funny is that I hear the exact opposite shit too from the other camp. None of that is accurate. I do not care about your console wars any longer. The games are what matters, not the boxes. They’re all generic PCs anyways. I’d rather play Mega Drive or Saturn any day over an Xbox One or PS4.

Oh, that’s the one gospel I do preach - Sega.

Believe it or not, it’s possible to be interested in technology and not be a jerk about it. Can people just discuss this stuff in peace? I do this all the time with Retro videos - comparing an contrasting different versions. It’s fun! Who gives a shit which console is better? The differences themselves are what’s neat.
Do your thing John. You don’t have to explain anything. Same people calling you out are the same ones that’ll praise you when you do a PS5 video. I’m sure you know how the 🤡 world works ay?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do your thing John. You don’t have to explain anything. Same people calling you out are the same ones that’ll praise you when you do a PS5 video. I’m sure you know how the 🤡 world works ay?
I shall as I find it interesting regardless. Just today I saw this shit...people are constantly posting garbage. He’s angry because I selected Death Stranding as my graphical pick of the year. A number of folks are angry about that for some reason. Why? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Top Bottom