• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Xbox Series X Reveal Analysis: How Next-Gen Redefines Console Design

-Arcadia-

Banned
Uhh, what? I beg to differ. If you actually followed my tastes you’d know how bullshit that is.

What’s funny is that I hear the exact opposite shit too from the other camp. None of that is accurate. I do not care about your console wars any longer. The games are what matters, not the boxes. They’re all generic PCs anyways. I’d rather play Mega Drive or Saturn any day over an Xbox One or PS4.

Oh, that’s the one gospel I do preach - Sega.

Believe it or not, it’s possible to be interested in technology and not be a jerk about it. Can people just discuss this stuff in peace? I do this all the time with Retro videos - comparing an contrasting different versions. It’s fun! Who gives a shit which console is better? The differences themselves are what’s neat.

Take some praise instead. I’m watching DF daily at this point, and your particular videos are a highlight. The entire team does such good work.

The 14 year old fanboys, or spiritual 14 year olds, just have a lot of growing up to do.

Mista

Banned
I shall as I find it interesting regardless. Just today I saw this shit...people are constantly posting garbage. He’s angry because I selected Death Stranding as my graphical pick of the year. A number of folks are angry about that for some reason. Why? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Because how dare you have a different opinion than theirs. You lot always do magnificent job so don’t let such bollocks take that away from you

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Because how dare you have a different opinion than theirs. You lot always do magnificent job so don’t let such bollocks take that away from you
Yeah, right? People are very emotional about this stuff. I get it. There was a time when I felt the same...but you grow up and it all seems silly.

I’m all the way past this point. I don’t have any emotional connection to new hardware. It’s just boxes from which data are extracted. It’s the data that’s fascinating.

These days, I’m far more interested in games history than anything else. I find myself genuinely excited with classic consoles that I may have missed. I love exploring those strange libraries. I’ve said it before but I’d love to cover retro full-time.

Alas, it’s not possible. I still find modern stuff fascinating, or course, but I have no emotional attachment to it. If there’s a difference between these new machines, I’m sure there will be angry fans on the less capable side beating down our doors. I do enjoy seeing what’s possible on low spec machines such as Switch, though, so it’ll be interesting regardless.

Barakov

How can these guys even chill for shit tier software like vhs without slamming on it hard directly.. Let's nuke image quality for faster framerate sounds great.

Imagine DSLL + VHS + Dynamic resolutions with motion blur.

KwfJZSW.jpg

Hey guys its 8k atleast right at 60 fps.
Imagine those blurry reflections. Good times ahead.
NFqAaBR.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
Death Stranding with PS2 graphics :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
The hate without reason is strong with that game.
I believe even some “journalists” hate it without know why.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Uhh, what? I beg to differ. If you actually followed my tastes you’d know how bullshit that is.

What’s funny is that I hear the exact opposite shit too from the other camp. None of that is accurate. I do not care about your console wars any longer. The games are what matters, not the boxes. They’re all generic PCs anyways. I’d rather play Mega Drive or Saturn any day over an Xbox One or PS4.

Believe it or not, it’s possible to be interested in technology and not be a jerk about it. Can people just discuss this stuff in peace? I do this all the time with Retro videos - comparing an contrasting different versions. It’s fun! Who gives a shit which console is better? The differences themselves are what’s neat.

I enjoy the retro stuff you do a ton. We never got these types of dives way back then for obvious reasons, and I find it far more fascinating how they achieved, sacrificed, improved, etc. across various hardware builds of those eras.

Modern analysis bores me to tears now in comparison, since it’s usually very negligible differences and obvious as to why there are any on same type spec.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Man, let's go back to the Mega Drive vs SNES console wars. They were more fun at least.

Although admittedly I never lived those wars myself. I had a Mega Drive and my close friend had a SNES. I loved my Mega Drive and I always borrowed his SNES for weeks whenever he had exams or went on vacation to play DKC, Captain Tsubasa 3 and 4 and International Superstar Soccer. I enjoyed them both. I just wanted to have all the consoles if I could. Now I'm doing just that :)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man, let's go back to the Mega Drive vs SNES console wars. They were more fun at least.

Although admittedly I never lived those wars myself. I had a Mega Drive and my close friend had a SNES. I loved my Mega Drive and I always borrowed his SNES for weeks whenever he had exams or went on vacation to play DKC, Captain Tsubasa 3 and 4 and International Superstar Soccer. I enjoyed them both. I just wanted to have all the consoles if I could. Now I'm doing just that :)

Same. I eventually had both, even saved for Sega CD and 32X. Loved that generation.

Reactions: TLZ

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I enjoy the retro stuff you do a ton. We never got these types of dives way back then for obvious reasons, and I find it far more fascinating how they achieved, sacrificed, improved, etc. across various hardware builds of those eras.

Modern analysis bores me to tears now in comparison, since it’s usually very negligible differences and obvious as to why there are any on same type spec.
Yeah, that’s why I rarely spend a lot of time on console differences these days and instead focus more on the visuals themselves. I know DF was kinda founded on comparisons but that was a different time. Things have changed.

Only retro comparisons are fun - well, Switch can be interesting too since it’s so much less powerful.

TLZ

Banned
Same. I eventually had both, even saved for Sega CD and 32X. Loved that generation.
Never had those 2. I didn't even know they existed back then. I think I would've been blown away if I found out about the CD, since that was my reaction when I got the PS. CD felt so futuristic back then. The audio quality was just so clean.

Nothing wrong with your personal tastes, the 2019 picks posted in an earlier thread was a pretty cool list of games.

I will steer away from DF threads from now on, as they seem to be a bit of red flag for me.

Shmunter

Yeah, that’s why I rarely spend a lot of time on console differences these days and instead focus more on the visuals themselves. I know DF was kinda founded on comparisons but that was a different time. Things have changed.

Only retro comparisons are fun - well, Switch can be interesting too since it’s so much less powerful.
Things may have changed, but comparisons will be highly sought after again with the new gen. Purchasing decisions for multi console owners, and forum ammunition for the fans.

Pallas

no. Lockhart is as powerful as PS5.
Corrected

Both of these statements are false.

The thing is they could sell these consoles at a loss and still make a ton from software sales. Consoles are supposed to be affordable, that's their draw in the first place.

Consoles aren't PC's, and these consoles are going to be outdated when they launch anyway and, like this generation, games will continuously look better and better as time goes on. Since they'll be going for native 4k a lot of the time (we all know they will) most games will probably be 30 FPS regardless but I hope I'm wrong.

Lockhart is also equivalent to the Xbox One X, isn't it? And it doesn't have a disc drive, not worth it.

Lockhart even with less teraflops than One X will do numbers around One X as it's using Navi RDNA technology which is way more advanced and efficient than Polaris in One X plus you get Ryzen 2 CPU and more Ram with SSD.

Lockhart games will look and run much better than One X and it will have UI and features of Series X. So it will be a junior Series X :p

Armorian

Banned
Lockhart is aimed at 1080p so it will Anaconda games just fine, assuming they are 2160p. Framebuffer is also way smaller in 1080 compared to 4k so less ram shouldn't be the problem, unless they cut too much of it.

Lockhart is aimed at 1080p so it will Anaconda games just fine, assuming they are 2160p. Framebuffer is also way smaller in 1080 compared to 4k so less ram shouldn't be the problem, unless they cut too much of it.

1080 to 1440p @60 fps Target for Lockhart according to Brad Sams.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You know 4 TF of RDNA2 in Navi is equivalent to 6 TF of GCN in Xbox One X. And Lockhart has a better CPU than 1X. You think a machine better than 1X in almost every way will target 1080p ?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
You know 4 TF of RDNA2 in Navi is equivalent to 6 TF of GCN in Xbox One X. And Lockhart has a better CPU than 1X. You think a machine better than 1X in almost every way will target 1080p ?

X1X is basicaly running X1/PS4 quality assets (for the most part) so there is room for much higher resolution, LH will run the same stuff as 12TF Anaconda, resolution won't get beyond 1080p (maybe 1440p in some cases).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I could see it honestly. It'll give them an easy target to hit vs trying to find the best resolution compromise while keeping the effects and other GPU bound effects the same. If you are getting the Lockhart you don't really care about resolution.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox Series X gives M$ a chance at winning next gen, first M$ console I'm excited for, ever.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Would would it take for the Series X to have over PS5 to make it a winner? Genuine Q
M$ as always needs weapons to combat SONY's AAA production, everyone's favorite Spartan Master Chief needs more than 1 game, 3+ halo games next gen no doubt would 100% put a dent into SONY next generation.

Shmunter

M$ as always needs weapons to combat SONY's AAA production, everyone's favorite Spartan Master Chief needs more than 1 game, 3+ halo games next gen no doubt would 100% put a dent into SONY next generation.
Seemingly Halo flagship quality died with Bungie. What would halo have to do turn itself around? Putting Halo Infinite on Xbox One is a big mistake personally..

Genx3

Would would it take for the Series X to have over PS5 to make it a winner? Genuine Q

Now that we know XSX is good HW the software will be even more important.
I think the following could really help MGS compete:
An Awesome 3rd person spy game . Perfect Dark could fit this mold perfectly.
Bring back that Shangheist game that Black Tusk (now The Coalition) was making.
AAA Banjo Platform game made by a team that would do it justice.
Bring back Conker.
A Halo RPG.
Kung Fu Chaos 2. They already own the original Dev Ninja Theory. Full Blown sequel. Bring back everything that made the OG Xbox great.

Top Bottom