• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digitial Foundry] Resident Evil Village Demo - Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Ray Tracing Analysis + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
Let's be honest.... Literally every platform where PS5 has had an extra frame Gaf has been posting that stupid Anotherone.gif

Heck we even had ps fans posting that gif even when the digital foundry found the XSX to be better.

I personally cannot see much difference and if people are bragging that their piece of plastic has 1fps more or an extra shadow they need to get a life.

That gif is not exclusive to ps5 users, xbox people have been using it too.

As for the difference in 1 fps here and there, that kinda was my point.

People are arguing about the most silliest of things, concentrate where it matters, on games and the innovation/experiences those games provide you.

Last edited:

BigLee74

The digital and disk ps5 are the same spec.

Except, perhaps....

Blue Ray Spec: PS5 (has one), PS5DE (a big fat zero)

Existence of a Blue ray drive is part of the spec, whether you like it or not, and is a factor in the cost. Let’s put it another way...

How many frames per second can the PS5DE play a physical copy of RE8 at that I just bought for £5/my friend gave me a shot of?

0? Really? Well, that sucks.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
We believe in genatations and hide cross generation games lol. Yep no shit there at all. Nothing completely dishonest about holding back cross generation versions of games until pre orders of the ps5 go live to get great pr all summer hahaha 😆. Microsoft sucks holding back games with cross generation versions was the theme all summer in the media those real next generation only games like spider man miles lol.

Microsoft acted as if they could deliver the best from day 1, but really nothing is true. Pure lies they were constantly spreading because reasonably desperate to get your attention. You obviously didn't understand that Jim Rayn never said there would be no cross-gen games, but they do show that only PS5 games are coming out besides cross-gen as well.

I'm not saying it's the same people as I haven't checked but amazing how many comments there are that the PS5 DE means the PS5 is $100 cheaper and also that you are a mug for buying digital as physical game can be had much cheaper and resold.

Anyhow, based on the demo at least, once the PS5 gets VRR you won't be able to tell the difference between either machine unless you are superhuman.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, it isn't. He says it is 9-10% "at best".
And that is exactly what insiders were saying they were hearing through the grapevine long before either system launched, along with trading blows. And they were laughed at by the poor man's power crowd.

Funny that.

JackMcGunns

You could say based on the performance but i prefer to pay $100 more for a PS5 Digital. Unless you want Gamepass.

My reply to his comment was about how well Series S is running RE8, I mean you rather pay 35% for a PS5, well that's great for you. Your comment is about as relevant as someone saying their 3070 is running RE8 nicely, and you chime in to say you rather pay more and get a 3080, what's the point of that other than to beat fanboy drums or a flex? 🤷‍♂️

For people who game on a 1080p display, at $299 the Series S is a great option to play RE8 at 60fps with all the next gen flair.

scydrex

My reply to his comment was about how well Series S is running RE8, I mean you rather pay 35% for a PS5, well that's great for you. Your comment is about as relevant as someone saying their 3070 is running RE8 nicely, and you chime in to say you rather pay more and get a 3080, what's the point of that other than to beat fanboy drums or a flex? 🤷‍♂️

For people who game on a 1080p display, at $299 the Series S is a great option to play RE8 at 60fps with all the next gen flair.

Well you have you point if those people stay on 1080p the Series S will do de job. If those people will stay at 1080p or they won't upgrade for the next 6 or 7 years to 4k tv or monitor for example then the wise choise would be save up the $100.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

And that is exactly what insiders were saying they were hearing through the grapevine long before either system launched, along with trading blows. And they were laughed at by the poor man's power crowd.

Funny that.

About Resident Evil 8, or about the systems overall? You do know that there's a difference, right? or do you think RE8 is some kind of open console benchmark? It's clear based on Sony's agreement that Capcom focused on optimizing for the PS5 and any extra performance would just be overhead for Series X, I mean just the fact that even the Series S is capable of running this game at 60fps indicates how CPU bound this game is (All 3 consoles have similar CPUs). You can't just calculate 10% when you can't see the framerate the Series X is running as it is capped at 60fps, when the PS5 is dipping to mid-low 50s, you're coming to that 10% based on a cap since Series X is locked at 60, but it could be running 65 or 68fps for all we know.

Further down the road when games target heavier RT and PC games start to bring consoles to their knees where even a locked 30fps is a virtue, you're going to start seeing a bigger difference than what you see today. The games today are barely tickling what the console's have to offer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A solid and consistent port it seems. One system which has better horsepower performs more, nothing to argue about there.

Now assuming we've had rational and adult discussion I would assume the first several hundred posts have been rational so I'll take a look now......

............welp, I think I expected too much. Normal fanboy bickering on all angles. Can't we all just get along?!?!?!

JackMcGunns

Well you have you point if those people stay on 1080p the Series S will do de job. If those people will stay at 1080p or they won't upgrade for the next 6 or 7 years to 4k tv or monitor for example then the wise choise would be save up the $100.

PS5 digital is awesome, don't get me wrong, we were just talking about the Series S. For anyone wanting to jump to the Xbox ecosystem, it's a nice little beast. My kid has a 1080p 42" TV in his playroom and a Series S will do nicely. That TV will not need upgrading until he breaks it lol, and he has hundreds of games available day one on Gamepass, including new releases, no way I can keep up purchasing retail copies, it's not just $100 bucks. Only problem is getting a hold of a Series S at retail :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok, then read the rest of my reply :messenger_winking:
I did, and I will go with what developers have been saying. Tools and APIs don't exist in a vacuum and the two machines have their strengths and weaknesses to one another.

I think that not much will change the entire gen, other than possibly one's 1st party having a leg up over the other visually due to having one base spec to work with.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
y4UzEWz.png

I believe we will have games where PS5 is performing better, and games where XSX is performing better, it depends on several factors, and the specs above speak for themselves. Can you see a clear winner ? Honestly, this appears to be the generation where the main competitors(Home Console) are the closest thing we have ever seen in terms of performance in real gaming applications, and both hardware will only shine in their respective first party exclusive games, and I cannot wait, Ratchet and Clank first in line ;)

Shhhh, don't get in the way of confirmation bias. Here's how you play the game

Most multplats performing better (if ever so slightly) on the PS5 - "It's the tools, brah"
Some multiplats performing better (if ever so slightly) on the XSX - "TOLD YOU, PONY's! AHHAHAHAHHAHAHA"

At the end of the day, I'll keep on enjoying my PS5, Sony exclusives, and I'm sure Xbox buyers will be enjoying the games they have available. There hasn't been a gen with consoles this closely matched (that I can remember). Perhaps the SNES/Genesis one was similar?

McCarth

Doesn't it matter more how the game, you know, actually plays rather than micro performance differences between consoles? Let's be honest, there are an insanely select few that own both consoles that constantly debate which version to buy.

More important than all of this anyways is that RE8 just doesn't really look all that good. But I wasn't a fan of 7 so it's definitely not for me regardless.

Dodkrake

Banned
Doesn't it matter more how the game, you know, actually plays rather than micro performance differences between consoles? Let's be honest, there are an insanely select few that own both consoles that constantly debate which version to buy.

More important than all of this anyways is that RE8 just doesn't really look all that good. But I wasn't a fan of 7 so it's definitely not for me regardless.

True. The art direction, especially "outside", is absolutely horrible. It put me off buying the game, looks and feels like Resi6 FPS edition.

It’s kinda weird to me that when PS5 has a slight advantage in a game, it’s a clear win for PS5. But, when XsX has a slight advantage, it seems to not count on here.

The graphics are identical between the two (according to DF) and XsX has a slight performance advantage in RT mode.

I mean, shouldn’t that count? It’s slight, but it’s still a win for Series, right?

Last edited:

ABnormal

It’s kinda weird to me that when PS5 has a slight advantage in a game, it’s a clear win for PS5. But, when XsX has a slight advantage, it seems to not count on here.

The graphics are identical between the two (according to DF) and XsX has a slight performance advantage in RT mode.

I mean, shouldn’t that count? It’s slight, but it’s still a win for Series, right?
Well, that's because of the long discussed "TFps" number, which is still believed by many to be the one factor that decides performance, and that SHOULD give XSX an advantage in performance of around 20%
So, a substantial parity (or a single percentage difference infavor of XSX, when so), it's obviously a loss, from the point of view of those believers.

Mobilemofo

Most multplats performing better (if ever so slightly) on the PS5 - "It's the tools, brah"
Some multiplats performing better (if ever so slightly) on the XSX - "TOLD YOU, PONY's! AHHAHAHAHHAHAHA"

At the end of the day, I'll keep on enjoying my PS5, Sony exclusives, and I'm sure Xbox buyers will be enjoying the games they have available. There hasn't been a gen with consoles this closely matched (that I can remember). Perhaps the SNES/Genesis one was similar?

Reasonable example. Tho the SNES had some custom parts such as the sound processor..the mega drive was all off the shelf parts.

JackMcGunns

I did, and I will go with what developers have been saying. Tools and APIs don't exist in a vacuum and the two machines have their strengths and weaknesses to one another.

I think that not much will change the entire gen, other than possibly one's 1st party having a leg up over the other visually due to having one base spec to work with.

You're allowed to "think" whatever you want, but the slider will move in favor of Series X, you can bookmark this comment if you like.

How quickly you forget blast processing

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Read the first page of this thread and decided I'd rather not bother. People can be so disingenuous.

Have fun playing the game, because the last thing you're gonna be thinking about is how one console has a better framerate in a specific area than another or how one console has better RT performance than the other.

You're gonna be too busy pissing your pants and holding back the urge to rub one out to Marmadracula to be worried about that. Enjoy your game...Jesus.

That gif is not exclusive to ps5 users, xbox people have been using it too.

As for the difference in 1 fps here and there, that kinda was my point.

People are arguing about the most silliest of things, concentrate where it matters, on games and the innovation/experiences those games provide you.
Impossible! Can't you see that I've bought a PS5/SeriesX and I need to point out a meaningless 1-3 frame drop here and there?!
THIS IS ABOUT MY TEAM!
THIS IS ABOUT MY PURCHASING DECISIONS TELLING THE WORLD ABOUT WHO I AM AS A PERSON!
WHAT I LIKE IS RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG!

DON'T YOU GET IT!

.....how Xbox fans feel bitterness in every damn face off, because their lovely shiny most powerful console XSX can't do shit against the PS5 in game comparisons is a sight to behold.

XSX is DESTINED to win every face-off because it is stronger, i guess. :/
Xbox fans, what the hell do you want from XSX to be in face offs in game analysis? For PS5 i want to be as closest as possible. And it delivers on all fronts as almost 2TF weaker console, slower bandwidth and what not, sometimes on par, sometimes better. The vast majority of gamers didn't expected that, i didn't. For an almost 2 TF stronger console as XSX people EXPECTED there shouldn't be sometimes better, sometimes on par instead, it should be always better... by a landslide. :/ But that is not happening.
Bitterness... lol. I have a PS4. I don't have Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S or a PS5. Nice try though sweetheart.

I have to say, this "war" is one of the most pathetic I've witnessed. The differences are so small it's almost not even worth bothering arguing about. I've been around for a few generations. I remember when NES and Master System games of the same name had major differences. I remember when Mega Drive and SNES games of the same name had major differences etc etc. Versions of game that you could actually have a debate over. Now it comes down to how dark shadows are or eyelashes. Just pointless bollocks and people like you are crying because your console of choice isn't quite performing as well. I've seen console wars and the differences here are so small, it's sad. Get a grip fanboy.

Md Ray

With Series S running this game at 1440p and 60fps? Nah, the only thing tipping the curve towards the GPU is by turning RT ON, and even that is well above 30fps on the miniscule Series S GPU.
How exactly does it make Series S CPU bound when running the game at 1440p and 60fps w/o RT? Were there any dips?

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Don't worry. I'm fine. Awesome actually. But seeing....

.....how Xbox fans feel bitterness in every damn face off, because their lovely shiny most powerful console XSX can't do shit against the PS5 in game comparisons is a sight to behold.

XSX is DESTINED to win every face-off because it is stronger, i guess. :/
Xbox fans, what the hell do you want from XSX to be in face offs in game analysis? For PS5 i want to be as closest as possible. And it delivers on all fronts as almost 2TF weaker console, slower bandwidth and what not, sometimes on par, sometimes better. The vast majority of gamers didn't expected that, i didn't. For an almost 2 TF stronger console as XSX people EXPECTED there shouldn't be sometimes better, sometimes on par instead, it should be always better... by a landslide. :/ But that is not happening.
Chill out, fam. You are taking this too seriously.

Dodkrake

Banned
How quickly you forget blast processing

What does that have to do with the argument?

Reasonable example. Tho the SNES had some custom parts such as the sound processor..the mega drive was all off the shelf parts.
Yeah. And all consoles will have their tradeoffs, for sure, but this gen is pretty much on par, and the only major "outliers" will be games that are platform exclusive.

Thing is, you won't see a platform exclusive from MS, so my guess (and this is only a guess) is that they will continue trading blows in 3rd party games and PS5 exclusives will set the console graphical / game design benchmark (unless sony stops making them). And that is fine, the audience is not quite the same, and they are both very capable machines when compared to modern PC counterparts (certainly not as capped as past gen was from the very beginning). We'll see some very cool things.

I swear digital edition console is a trap you don't save 100 dollars with de , u literally are always on sony's mercy on their sales , used physical discs go extremely cheap especially single player games after a month or 2 of release , as much as I love ratchet and demons souls , paying 70 dollar for them feels criminal and then bragging you saved 100 dollars with going digital console is the stupidest shit ever

NickFire

I swear digital edition console is a trap you don't save 100 dollars with de , u literally are always on sony's mercy on their sales , used physical discs go extremely cheap especially single player games after a month or 2 of release , as much as I love ratchet and demons souls , paying 70 dollar for them feels criminal and then bragging you saved 100 dollars with going digital console is the stupidest shit ever
I was going to be all in on the digital version. But I got mine second after my son got his and Spiderman (disc). It dawned on me that the $100 I would save on digital would be gone if I couldn't play just two games that I want, and which he gets first on disc via gifts. Quickly became a no-brainer to go with disc.

y4UzEWz.png

I believe we will have games where PS5 is performing better, and games where XSX is performing better, it depends on several factors, and the specs above speak for themselves. Can you see a clear winner ? Honestly, this appears to be the generation where the main competitors(Home Console) are the closest thing we have ever seen in terms of performance in real gaming applications, and both hardware will only shine in their respective first party exclusive games, and I cannot wait, Ratchet and Clank first in line ;)
Variable clock my friend, that is best case scenario for PS5.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not sure why he said “At best” when at best we’re seeing up to 20%
SvMembn.jpg

Because you're comparing a cutscene versus actual game play where the frame-rate is often 1-3 frames apart.

If the same scene appears fine and then has a short frame dip, then it's likely an underlining problem that has nothing to do with hardware limitations.

If it was 20% as you say, then we would see it consistently throughout the gameplay, but we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom