• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digitial Foundry] Resident Evil Village Demo - Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Ray Tracing Analysis + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackMcGunns

So wait, you come in a DF thread with a shot that is not from DF, then argue like it’s DF?

Okay then, carry on goalpost.

Let me know what "Goal Posts" you're referring to, the DF performance analysis bubble? so the sections they didn't analyze, we'll go ahead and sweep any and all differences under the rug, amirite? oh wait, except when it's discovered in PS5's favor, only then it's worth noting, then suddenly these "Special sections" that DF missed where PS5 has an advantage, are considered (Tinfoil hat) a conspiracy, indicating that DF is biased for not finding them. But never mind, these sections are in favor of XSX.... so... Stick to the topic!! how dare I find sections not mentioned in DF, we will not talk about that in here! It's 10% at best based on DF tested section, no other sections allowed!

When you buy the game, just make sure you only play the sections DF tested, therefore you will guarantee that 10% is never exceeded!

Topher

Gold Member
Let me know what "Goal Posts" you're referring to, the DF performance analysis bubble? so the sections they didn't analyze, we'll go ahead and sweep any and all differences under the rug, amirite? oh wait, except when it's discovered in PS5's favor, only then it's worth noting, then suddenly these "Special sections" that DF missed where PS5 has an advantage, are considered (Tinfoil hat) a conspiracy, indicating that DF is biased for not finding them. But never mind, these sections are in favor of XSX.... so... Stick to the topic!! how dare I find sections not mentioned in DF, we will not talk about that in here! It's 10% at best based on DF tested section, no other sections allowed!

When you buy the game, just make sure you only play the sections DF tested, therefore you will guarantee that 10% is never exceeded!

Why do you expect anyone to simply accept something you "found"? So DF isn't accurate but what you "found" is? Really?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Does resident evil ps5 version work on ps4. I usually let my friend borrow games when I beat them but he doesn’t have a ps5 yet. I know ps4 has a free upgrade so maybe I should get that.

Md Ray

Post the source.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

happy hour drinking GIF

JackMcGunns

I would be curious to see that same exact section measured by DF or NXG, it appears to be a tough scene where they both dropped because of the lighting coming from the window

Topher

Gold Member
Are they playing the game for you? What you said makes no sense. Are you suggesting the channel is forging the test data?

Dude......just stop. You are the guy who said you didn't understand why Leadbetter said there was "at best" a 10% performance differential. When questioned you dropped NXGamer NXGamer name and referred to your actual source as "other analysis" rather than reference them by name. Only after being pressed did you reveal the source which means your confidence in their "analysis" is pretty much non-existent or you would have been upfront. But you weren't and now you are pretending I make no sense.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF
Mean Girls Whatever GIF

Grechy34

As we can see clearly from the extra eyelash alphas on the xbox that it obviously has a clean benefit with the extra gpu horsepower. This extra 2 tf of power negates the rumours of alpha issues and the pure grunt allows it to blaze the ps5 with better quality character models! So glad I purchased this on the xbox. I thought the clear advantage would be the VRR but seeing those eyelashes in action when zoomed in has proven how much better the game is on xbox.

The tools are shaping up and we are getting to see the fruits of their labour.

Simply...

...Another one!

I really fear for the world when we are justifying our console purchases with eyelash rendering.

More CUs will help with RT, that's a given. The difference in performance is still pretty marginal given how much bigger the XSX GPU is. I guess that ridiculously high clocks are helping the PS5 get closer to XSXs perf.

Both took different approaches to reach the same level of performance. It's not like one system was aimed at 1080P owners while the other was targeted at 4K owners.

P.S I'm not making a reference to the XSS just a generalization.

I think you're confusing PS4 vs XBO.

At least this comparison shows there's a bigger difference between the PS4 and the X1 when compared to the XSX and the PS5. For example the PS4 runs the game at a Native 900P whole the X1S requires reconstruction. And even then there's a performance advantage on the PS4.

These two systems are just really close.

I really fear for the world when we are justifying our console purchases with eyelash rendering.
This is fun lol
I miss the days when i had to wait for a gaming magazine to come out to learn about a new game and nobody was talking about eyelashes and social media din't exist, oh the good ole days .

JackMcGunns

At least this comparison shows there's a bigger difference between the PS4 and the X1 when compared to the XSX and the PS5. For example the PS4 runs the game at a Native 900P whole the X1S requires reconstruction. And even then there's a performance advantage on the PS4.

These two systems are just really close.

Yes, Xbox One was a mess, it wasn't just the TF difference, but the memory bandwidth was an additional problem. Both PS4 and XBO were strapped with a terrible CPU though, thank God both Sony and MS went with the much more powerful Zen 2 CPU, we wouldn't be getting a constant stream of 60fps and even 120fps games without it.

The takeaway for me is that Sony was always known for being the master when it came to hardware, beautiful, compact, efficient and powerful, whereas MS was clunky, massive, inefficiently designed (external PSU) and less powerful hardware (Xbox one was atrocious). Xbox One X was the turn-around, however it wasn't certain they would pull it off again because the year advantage was used to explain why Xbox One X was ahead of PS4 pro in efficiency, form factor and power, but now Xbox Series X has yet again proven MS cannot be slept on, within the same time frame as Sony engineers, they managed a sleeker and more powerful design. A massive feat considering the Sony pedigree.

Mark Cerny vs Jason Ronald, an underdog story

PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X
PS5 vs Xbox Series X

And the winner is...

Stay tuned for the final.

Last edited:
Yes, Xbox One was a mess, it wasn't just the TF difference, bet the memory bandwidth was an additional problem. Both PS4 and XBO were strapped with a terrible CPU though, thank God both Sony and MS went with the much more powerful Zen 2 CPU, we wouldn't be getting a constant stream of 60fps and even 120fps games without it.

I'm seriously wondering what would have happened if Sony had 4GBs of ram. You either get screwed with bandwidth or the amount of memory.

Mr Moose

Yes, Xbox One was a mess, it wasn't just the TF difference, bet the memory bandwidth was an additional problem. Both PS4 and XBO were strapped with a terrible CPU though, thank God both Sony and MS went with the much more powerful Zen 2 CPU, we wouldn't be getting a constant stream of 60fps and even 120fps games without it.
The biggest difference this gen imo is the CPUs and the SSDs, such a massive leap over last gen.

Redlight

Are you dense? The digital and disk ps5 are the same spec. You’re getting the ps5 spec at 100 dollars cheaper. The series x is more expensive because guess what it has a better gpu.
Well, one of us is dense.

1) The digital and disk versions of the PS5 are NOT the same spec. One of them has a disc drive the other does not.
2) Taking out the drive is what makes the digital PS5 cheaper.
3) The fully featured XSX and PS5 are the same price.
4) Yes, the XSX has a better GPU, but for the same price.

Now that's value.

scydrex

Well, one of us is dense.

1) The digital and disk versions of the PS5 are NOT the same spec. One of them has a disc drive the other does not.
2) Taking out the drive is what makes the digital PS5 cheaper.
3) The fully featured XSX and PS5 are the same price.

Now that's value.

Not confirmed or anything but the estimate of the drive is $30 or less. I think it dosen't cost $50 or $99-100.

ABnormal

Well, it's not fair to say that. The "quality" of a GPU should be measured by the results it's able to create. You are just referring to the higher number of CUs, implying that such number is THE measure of the "quality" of a GPU. But the number of CUs just is one small part of the GPU, and its effectivenness depends by many more other aspects. For example, the already mentioned clocks (the final result comes from the number of operations that the GPU is able to calculate in the given time, so less CUs at a higher clock can calculate the very same number of operations in the given time, and so create the very same result on the screen). Another aspect is the GPU cache efficiency, because a code filled cache is useless, and the more time CUs spend on idle, the less are able to spend time on calculations.
PS5 GPU operates at a higher clock, and calculating the number of operations it can do, multiplying the number of CUs with the clocks, can give us the THEORETHICAL TFs number. But the other parameter that reduces the actual efficiency of GPUs is the cache avaliability, the efficiency of which can not be measured by us, because we don't have any data about it. But we know that Sony has created a specific hardware to keep the cache free in a very precise and efficient way (the cache scrubbers). That allows additional GPU processing time in a given time, compared to conventional cache efficiency. If you multiply PS5 CUs number by its clocks, and add the more free GPU time given by cache scrubbers, you have the reason of the near same number of operations that PS5 can do compared to XSX. And with a smaller and probably cheaper GPU. Which is the best one, in this case?

So like I understood the point of these videos during the 360/PS3 and even the One/PS4 gen, but the XSX/PS5 are incredibly close to the point where the vast majority of people couldn't tell you which one looked better unless Digital Foundry told them. Like the XSX will have a bit better/stabler framerate and maybe raytracing, PS5 will have faster loading, but the games will be virtually identical, nobody's going to play on an XSX or PS5 and think "man I should've bought this game on the other console, it's significantly better". Because they're both fantastic consoles with great performance, and close enough where if a dev optimizes the PS5 version negligibly more (or vice versa), or makes a minor mistake in the code for one console, it could end up making the difference in which one is "better"

Also a side note, crossgen games have to be able to run on the OG Xbox One (ESRAM and all) and the PS4, you won't really be able to tell which console is better based on their performance on these games because they're not built exclusively for them. Once we're on next-gen only games we'll be able to see whatever difference there is in the consoles' true performance, as the games will stress the hardware and try and use as many of the features each console has in order to make the game run as smooth as possible. I think the XSX will be the "better" place to play 3rd party games performance wise, but I think it's unlikely either console is going to have some game changing, massive performance gap

Caio

Variable clock my friend, that is best case scenario for PS5.

Did you get the point of my post ? Probably not, and anyway, PS5 is most of time sitting on those values, and all the face off till now put that reality in front of your face. Play the games my friend.

Why you making it sound like a 10% performance advantage is throughout the whole game, when in fact the average performance in less than 1%?
Cause a win, is a win. Always highlight and emphasis the advantages, no matter how small, that's how you keep your sanity :messenger_tears_of_joy: Especially when a console "winning" is so tied to your personal happiness and ego!

Edit: I didn't even watch the video, cause I know the difference would be so small you'd have to own both a PS5 and Series X, have two TV's side by side, have both playing at the same time at the same place... to even see any difference. Even then, you're just a dummy looking for justification.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, Xbox One was a mess, it wasn't just the TF difference, but the memory bandwidth was an additional problem. Both PS4 and XBO were strapped with a terrible CPU though, thank God both Sony and MS went with the much more powerful Zen 2 CPU, we wouldn't be getting a constant stream of 60fps and even 120fps games without it.

The takeaway for me is that Sony was always known for being the master when it came to hardware, beautiful, compact, efficient and powerful, whereas MS was clunky, massive, inefficiently designed (external PSU) and less powerful hardware (Xbox one was atrocious). Xbox One X was the turn-around, however it wasn't certain they would pull it off again because the year advantage was used to explain why Xbox One X was ahead of PS4 pro in efficiency, form factor and power, but now Xbox Series X has yet again proven MS cannot be slept on, within the same time frame as Sony engineers, they managed a sleeker and more powerful design. A massive feat considering the Sony pedigree.

Mark Cerny vs Jason Ronald, an underdog story

PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X
PS5 vs Xbox Series X

And the winner is...

Stay tuned for the final.

Props to MS for getting a good design out, but Jason Ronald is a pure manager not an engineer so the comparison hides people like Goossen and others that led the actual HW and software design. People also tend to forget MS has hired quite great HW engineers over the years: I think the group that designed the Matsushita M2 was at some point a well known one.

XOX not only had an extra year in the oven but targeted a higher price. Again PS5’s DE model has the same SSD, CPU, GPU, and RAM specs as the model with the disc drive and it is $100 cheaper which indicates they had that price point as base target again. The efforts they spent on controller, SSD + custom I/O, and facilitating devs transition (SDK and HW were ready quite a bit earlier than MS) is also something that ought to be recognised as much as their clocking strategy.

Holistically power wise MS always had very powerful HW, Xbox One / S was the exception.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
The truth is out there, a screenshot speaks a thousand words my friend.
The truth is very easy use a single shot to drive your own narrative my friend. Now ElAnalist is more trustful than DF and Leadbetter downplay an Xbox advantage... In what universe we are?

The truth is very easy use a single shot to drive your own narrative my friend. Now ElAnalist is more trustful than DF and Leadbetter downplay an Xbox advantage... In what universe we are?
I agree. A single scene should not be used to show the actual fps difference. I say the same thing in pretty much every face-off. It needs to stop really.
Example: this is the most liked post in a 16 page thread here.
Btw the AVG fps for both was around 100

Redlight

Well, it's not fair to say that. The "quality" of a GPU should be measured by the results it's able to create. You are just referring to the higher number of CUs, implying that such number is THE measure of the "quality" of a GPU. But the number of CUs just is one small part of the GPU, and its effectivenness depends by many more other aspects. For example, the already mentioned clocks (the final result comes from the number of operations that the GPU is able to calculate in the given time, so less CUs at a higher clock can calculate the very same number of operations in the given time, and so create the very same result on the screen). Another aspect is the GPU cache efficiency, because a code filled cache is useless, and the more time CUs spend on idle, the less are able to spend time on calculations.
PS5 GPU operates at a higher clock, and calculating the number of operations it can do, multiplying the number of CUs with the clocks, can give us the THEORETHICAL TFs number. But the other parameter that reduces the actual efficiency of GPUs is the cache avaliability, the efficiency of which can not be measured by us, because we don't have any data about it. But we know that Sony has created a specific hardware to keep the cache free in a very precise and efficient way (the cache scrubbers). That allows additional GPU processing time in a given time, compared to conventional cache efficiency. If you multiply PS5 CUs number by its clocks, and add the more free GPU time given by cache scrubbers, you have the reason of the near same number of operations that PS5 can do compared to XSX. And with a smaller and probably cheaper GPU. Which is the best one, in this case?
I didn't make the claim, I was just agreeing with this persistent Sony fan...
The series x is more expensive because guess what it has a better gpu.
It isn't more expensive, though it does have a better GPU. Just facts.

Take it up with him.

Tripolygon

Banned
I agree. A single scene should not be used to show the actual fps difference. I say the same thing in pretty much every face-off. It needs to stop really.

Barking up the wrong tree here mate. That screenshot is taken from the high frame rate mode where PS5 consistently holds a higher fps. The scene is not a single screenshot as it is a sustained drop. It shows that the suppose 3.8GHz vs 3.5GHz CPU difference some people like to highlight is not really indicative of the performance difference between both consoles. Going by the paper specs that people choose to highlight you would not expect XSX to dip that low. Try again.

reksveks

Do you think DF should make the fps counter an average one? It just causes too much issue cause of the fanboys

Barking up the wrong tree here mate. That screenshot is taken from the high frame rate mode where PS5 consistently holds a higher fps. The scene is not a single screenshot as it is a sustained drop. It shows that the suppose 3.8GHz vs 3.5GHz CPU difference some people like to highlight is not really indicative of the performance difference between both consoles. Going by the paper specs that people choose to highlight you would not expect XSX to dip that low. Try again.
It's a single spot and pointed out as an oddity. Also from DF article "Across a range of content tested in this mode, both consoles delivered a 100fps average"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom