• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney says Indiana Jones Xbox exclusivity deal ‘made financial and strategic sense' and leaving out PlayStation didn’t feel “overly exclusionary”

Ar¢tos

For all we know Disney could’ve negotiated royalties on GP sub from everyone who plays the game. What we now know and what I had claimed before in this thread, is that they are going to get paid those royalties and if there ain’t enough of them they will just activate the break clause.
I'm more interested in the MS side of the deal. This kind of licensed material doesn't seem like a good match for a service like GP.
We know from the Insomniac leaks that Sony pays Disney for the IP license and a fixed amount per sale that varies with type of sale (physical /digital / hw bundle).
If every GP download is considered equivalent to a digital sale, then how can MS make money from this?
Paying for a license, paying millions for development & marketing and paying for every download and getting only money from the few physical sales and GP subscriptions?
It's not a GaaS game, a single month of GP is enough for it. So after you discount the Disney fee, you are getting 10$ for a game that could have every unit sold for 70$, and you have to consider the royalties of millions of GP users that will download just to try and delete after 1h.
It's impossible to have profit like this and,
unless MS stack number of downloads with hours played for engagement levels (instead of considering just one or the other), it's hard to even sell it as positive "Engagement".

njean777

Naw, not for me. I love gaming, so naturally I want all three.
Only once you unplug your head from Sony’s bunghole then you’ll understand.

Ok and how does this statement refute my point? Love gaming all you want, doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that all the Xbox games can be played on pc… so yeah feel good about yourself I guess?

elmos-acc

You have mobile games, Fortnite skins, Funko Pops, pencil cases and Happy Meal toys with Disney IPs. Do you really think they care about console wars? It makes sense to let different parties to use the license.

Kadve

This and similar threads reminds of when people threw a hissi-fit over FF13 coming to the X360 aswell as the PS3 calling it a betrayal. Funny how things change in 15 years.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Just my opinion, but I'm having a hard time seeing how Indiana Jones can translate to a good game. Nothing to do with Xbox or anything...it's just the IP itself doesn't seem popular enough to warrant exclusivity. As for Disney's comments, I suppose if you count PC then the market could be comparable to Sony...but still...this game is likely going to need pull from as many markets as possible to be profitable. Just my opinion.
This is where I'm at. Besides old heads like me who grew up with it and then the books, who is into indy nowadays? The last two movies did poorly on the theater and there isn't any other indy properties out there.

Plus I'm not convinced Bethesda can pull this off, like at all. Howard's on record in the quote that this game isn't going to be just whipping everything in sight. Ok.... Just throwing in a couple vehicle chases isn't gonna do it.

Plus we sticking with 3rd person view? Not a good choice but aren't almost all Bethesda games 1st person? Can't see how that would be appropriate for indy. Would feel way too awkward especially since this isn't vr.

Choosing Bethesda for this seems weird. I guess machinehead is working on this?

Top Bottom