• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Finds Its Jafar

Slaythe

1a18d6318e989e3e03a62b3dbaec2889.jpeg

Literally could have been their Aladdin.

Zoe

I had no idea the crazy lady (Gigi) from Scream Queens was Iranian. And I never would have recognized her from that inset.

Boke1879

Maybe in the story this Jafar takes on the form of a younger person? Maybe?

Either way I don't have an issue with it.

Goodstyle

I'm glad Jafar is hot now. Too often in films, pretty = good and ugly = bad. Time to show that evil comes in all shapes and sizes.

jett

D-Member
He looks more handsome than the guy cast as Aladdin.

And he's younger than me.

Weird. Guess Guy Ritchie is going for different. Nothing wrong with that.

He looks more handsome than the guy cast as Aladdin.

And he's younger than me.

Weird. Guess Guy Ritchie is going for different. Nothing wrong with that.
How much of it is Guy Ritchie and how much of it is Disney and the various producers?

As far as casting goes, this is way out of Ritchie's comfort zone (it needs to be, though).

Ezalc

Jafar being old and the thing with Jasmine being ridiculously creepy is the entire point of it.

It's him as an old ass man showing off his new power because now that he's a sultan and a warlock he can do whatever the fuck he wants, you're supposed to see him as an old ugly disgusting power hungry asshole.

Want to see how they do that in this live action version.

Young Jafar might just come off as an ambitious/greedy creeper in this version.

Makeup can do wonders, but also I would think because he wants to marry Jasmine (for the throne), Disney wouldn't want THAT big of a gap in terms of age.

Not a chance in hell they will "ugly him up" or for some reason make him older for the role.

They will have him crazy/unhinged but good looking, like Oscar Isaac in Scotts Robin Hood.

(I think)

Valhelm

contribute something
What has Nasim been up to since SNL? I remember she left to do her own show but I hadn't heard anything about it. Congrats on the new gig!

She left for Mulaney, which torpedoed the careers of everyone involved. Real tragedy for the industry.

Jarmel

Banned
Jafar being old and the thing with Jasmine being ridiculously creepy is the entire point of it.

It's him as an old ass man showing off his new power because now that he's a sultan and a warlock he can do whatever the fuck he wants, you're supposed to see him as an old ugly disgusting power hungry asshole.

Want to see how they do that in this live action version.

Young Jafar might just come off as an ambitious/greedy creeper in this version.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We'll see how this plays out but I'm starting to wonder if this movie might be misguided on a few fronts.

jett

D-Member
How much of it is Guy Ritchie and how much of it is Disney and the various producers?

As far as casting goes, this is way out of Ritchie's comfort zone (it needs to be, though).

I feel Ritchie had to be involved on some level on the notion of casting someone young for Jafar. For better or worse, he doesn't strike me as a director for hire.

I can already tell they're going to fuck this up.

Since when does Jasmine have a handmaiden?

Okay this is definitely not following the cartoon lol.

Farsi

I wasn't expecting him to be so handsome, but I'm really happy Disney is giving these lesser known guys their chance at a big break. I hope they continue this going forward.

I don't like this because it's different from something I watched as a child but don't ever think about these days other than to complain when people want to make it again.

jiggle

Hot damn jafar
He can rub my lamp anytime

And good to see more of Nasim
I liked her in SNL
They did her wrong

Top Bottom