• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Finds Its Jafar

You realize how unique and intentional that was as a subversion of the cliche at the time, right? Especially where Disney was concerned?

You mean like Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty and the Queen from Snow White? Those are two of Disney's most iconic villains and were both known for their beauty, especially the latter. Even the wicked step mother from Cinderella was supposed to be pretty. Of course those were all women, but male Disney villains were fairly rare in human-driven Disney animated movies anyway.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
He looks waaaaaaaay too nice. I wish prince was still alive. He would've been the pick.

2fe9be25d86fec945b04e86f217e4b1a.jpg

Lol damn never realized how stereotypical they made Jafar look.

Ratrat

Well, most people thought Gaston was hotter than the prince in the Emma Watson version of Beauty and the Beast...

He can look older and not ugly. This guy looks way too friendly to be a villain in a simple children movie

Maybe in this version, Jafar is Aladdin's long lost brother. They were separated at birth and Jafar was found by some palace worker and he grew up to be Vizier. What a twist!

Not a bad choice, but he seems a bit too young for the role. I suppose Jafar will be a bit de-aged in this version or something.

Guy Ritchie directing kills my excitement for this movie. His style is so predictable at this point I feel like I've already seen the movie.

Disney will force him to tone down his style anyway.

jett

D-Member
Maybe in this version, Jafar is Aladdin's long lost brother. They were separated at birth and Jafar was found by some palace worker and he grew up to be Vizier. What a twist!

They both grew up on the streets, and were separated when they were caught stealing as kids. Aladdin was sent to Agrabah-juvie, and Jafar being older was off to do hard labor in a far away land, where he escaped thanks to the help of an old, also imprisoned wizard who taught him everything he knows.

The Guy Ritchiness writes itself.

KillLaCam

Banned
That'd be cool. They'd have to do something to make him creepier though. A brother wanting his brothers lover doesn't seem creepy enough compared to the cartoon Jafar.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Will have to see him in costume because man is that dude not what I honk of when I think of if Jafar. Hot AF.

Guy Ritchie turned King Arthur into a streewise criminal raised in a whorehouse.

Guy Ritchie can't be stopped.

I'm more confused as to why nobody wants that guy Ritchie touch on an aladdin movie

Rather that than some bland ass 1:1 cartoon to live action translation. Plus he's a streetwise thief already. They knew what they had in mind when they hired him for aladdin

SpaceWolf

Banned
You mean like Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty and the Queen from Snow White? Those are two of Disney's most iconic villains and were both known for their beauty, especially the latter.

latest

Ugliness was certainly utilized as a means to visually emphasize danger and menace where the Queen was concerned.

Kinda mindblown, thought he looked exactly like this actor I've seen in a couple of Dutch movies, then I looked him up and it's actually him, awesome!

Handsome Jafar is an interesting take.

Some of you have very limiting views on villains. There are many good looking villains going all the way back to Dracula. That makes for a more interesting dynamic than some ugly dude who's easy to hate on because of his looks.

Some of you have very limiting views on villains. There are many good looking villains going all the way back to Dracula. That makes for a more interesting dynamic than some ugly dude who's easy to hate on because of his looks.

Being surprised by the casting of a young and handsome dude as Jafar when everyones image of Jafar is from the cartoon isn't having a limited view on villains.

It does feel like they are going for a method of using comparison and parallel to make the rivalry between Aladdin and Jafar much more personal.

He looks waaaaaaaay too nice. I wish prince was still alive. He would've been the pick.

2fe9be25d86fec945b04e86f217e4b1a.jpg

Why do people think that casting works by picking someone who looks EXACTLY like the cartoon? It's like people only take the visual aspect into account and ignore everything else (acting, character, etc).

Alo0oy

Banned
That's a fuckin shame.

They've had a chance with Talia Al-Ghul twice (she is 3/4 Arab and 1/4 Chinese), but they cast a white woman the first time (in Nolan's film) and an Asian woman the second time (in Arrow), completely erasing her heritage, I have no faith in them casting an Arab woman as Talia in the DCEU at all, they try to avoid casting Arab women by casting other WoC to soften the pushback.

Suggestions for Iago:
Harvey Fierstein
Ali Wong
Tituss Burgess
Bill Hader
Keegan Michael Key
LilRel Howery
Bradley Whitford

Top Bottom