• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Finds Its Jafar

I'm actually more curious about how they're going to do his humor. Like, are they going to do references? Will he be wearing a Goofy hat and Hawaiian shirt when he takes off at the end?

I keep tellin' ya. Make the Genie into something different by casting someone like Louis CK.

That's a non-argument, some people from different ethnicities can pass as people from other ethnicities, but that doesn't make it okay.

It's a complicated issue. In this case, given they have the resources and time to find the right person, they probably should've found a person of Arabic descent to play the role.

Ultimately the only thing that's going to matter is the quality of the performance and the film itself.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's a complicated issue. In this case, given they have the resources and time to find the right person, they probably should've found a person of Arabic descent to play the role.

Ultimately the only thing that's going to matter is the quality of the performance and the film itself.

Yeah, we've discussed this before, but the casting looks even more bizarre now that we see the entire cast is Middle Eastern except for the lead female character, I'm cynical enough to say that Hollywood really hates Arab women.

Yeah, we've discussed this before, but the casting looks even more bizarre now that we see the entire cast is Middle Eastern except for the lead female character, I'm cynical enough to say that Hollywood really hates Arab women.

Nah, I don't think they hate Arabic women, but there's definitely a bias, especially with half white/half ethnic women to play full ethnic roles.

Alo0oy

Banned
Nah, I don't think they hate Arabic women, but there's definitely a bias, especially with half white/half ethnic women to play full ethnic roles.

I didn't mean hate "hate", they just aren't comfortable casting them in leading roles, they just threaten the status quo too much, casting a "Normal" Arab women is a no-no because people don't consider them normal, they're submissive and always wear Hijab, when most actresses in the Arab world don't actually wear it.

I didn't mean hate "hate", they just aren't comfortable casting them in leading roles, they just threaten the status quo too much, casting a "Normal" Arab women is a no-no because people don't consider them normal, they're submissive and always wear Hijab, when most actresses in the Arab world don't actually wear it.

Do you really think they thought that deep about it? I just think they had they heart set on Naomi Scott from the outset. There was already a familiarity with her.

Alo0oy

Banned
Do you really think they thought that deep about it? I just think they had they heart set on Naomi Scott from the outset. There was already a familiarity with her.

They don't have to twirl their mustache and utter "Haha, we hate Arab women" in order for it to be racism, a lot of it is subconscious, Hollywood sees white people playing every role, thus they're the default, while people from other ethnicities have to fit a certain box in order for them to be considered. It's not that they hate PoC, they just don't even think about them when considering roles that don't fit their designated box.

r0IhtcM.png

are they planning to redo the whole movie and have everyone shirtless. i would approve.

Top Bottom