• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

DBT85

I like the idea of hand placed items in key palces, with the random chance of modifiers added to those items.

So eg, big sword 7 in the first chest in the 3rd house in the 2nd town, but with a chance of it having extra stats like 10% fire or whatever.

I won't be able to participate, but I want to urge on the GAFfers who will the necessity of stressing to the developers the idea to ditch randomized loot in favor of hand-placed, pre-designed items for their next game.
More Baldur's Gate II and less Diablo when it comes to itemization, please.

I'll check if they can spend some time on that issue, since it has been a recurring request. Talking to a dev here though, it was mostly done this way because of time constraints. It's just a lot more work to manually place every item than to have it done randomly. And time was something we didn't have too much of.

Dries

Is there a way to disable the random NPC voices?

"No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!!"

Edit: never mind, it seems to be fixed..

_machine

I'll check if they can spend some time on that issue, since it has been a recurring request. Talking to a dev here though, it was mostly done this way because of time constraints. It's just a lot more work to manually place every item than to have it done randomly. And time was something we didn't have too much of.
Understandable, I'm really bashing my head against the wall though, as a fellow developer I had a half-finished draft mail for you talking about the random loot (with a simplish approach) and the non-invetory UI stuff, but with being just stuffed with things to do for our own game I totally forgot it was already and missed it :(

I'm really enjoying the Devline though, and I sincerely hope you continue doing it every now and then :)

Understandable, I'm really bashing my head against the wall though, as a fellow developer I had a half-finished draft mail for you talking about the random loot (with a simplish approach) and the non-invetory UI stuff, but with being just stuffed with things to do for our own game I totally forgot it was already and missed it :(

I'm really enjoying the Devline though, and I sincerely hope you continue doing it every now and then :)

I hope you didn't miss the part where they extensively talked about the randomized loot then, because there was a big discussion on it. You can always watch it again as all our streams are recorded and available to watch.

As for DevLine, it was a moderate success and we're definitely thinking of doing another episode. I'll make sure to announce it here too if we do.

Sentenza

I hope you didn't miss the part where they extensively talked about the randomized loot then, because there was a big discussion on it. You can always watch it again as all our streams are recorded and available to watch.

As for DevLine, it was a moderate success and we're definitely thinking of doing another episode. I'll make sure to announce it here too if we do.

I'm on the Larian's Twitch channel right now but the video doesn't seem to be there.
Am I missing something?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man watching this video... That 15 year old kid they brought in is a harrowing glimpse into our future, jesus christ.

Sentenza

Man watching this video... That 15 year old kid they brought in is a harrowing glimpse into our future, jesus christ.
I'm watching it as well and I have to say I don't think JesseCox was a very healthy contribute to this "open dialogue"; not hating on the guy but he talks a lot, rambling enthusiastically but with very few clear ideas on how to improve design, beside constantly advocating for "casualization" in some form.

Even his take on random loot was essentially a lot of vague stuff like "I want the cool stuff the cool enemy is wearing" without much of an insight on how fixed items could (or couldn't) make the game better in terms of balance, pacing, etc.

EDIT: I also have to say that I really don't like this recurring assumption that "giving freedom to the player" should equate to "going in every direction should be equally easy and you shouldn't cross enemies that are too strong".
On the other side of the coin, I'm absolutely with the Codex guy in preferring a morel imited growth in power for chracters rather than an exponential escalation.
Quoting myself to what I wrote to Josh Sawyer once:

<<The leveling systems I like the most are the ones where you get a clear sense of getting stronger over time through a a series of marginal improvements, but *without* experiencing an exponential growth.

I love stuff like "You start with 50 HP and you end with 90 and a lot more good to parry or avoid damage" and I despise stuff like "You start with 30 HP and you end with 9999".
I also like when dangerous enemies keep being dangerous even when you level up and become more confident facing them.
I don't find particularly enjoyable going through the whole "I'm going to one-shot stuff that was killing me in one blow barely a couple of levels ago". &#65279;
>>

One thing I always loved about the D&D bestiary is how certain monsters weren't even level-based, they just had a fixed set of stats/abilities. So that facing -say- a Worg was a consistent experience. There weren't level 5 and level 10 Worgs. Just Worgs, and you knew what you were facing when you fought the next one.

_machine

Yeah, I only missed the start and got the chance watch it later on. I really liked it and there were definitely some of the same suggestions that I would have had, but yeah it's a great concept and I hope you do make another episode eventually.

Is the game playable with just a laptop track pad and keyboard? or is a mouse/keyboard or joystick required?

Ive looked every where for information on controller layout and if the mac air trackpad is all I would need. Thanks for the help!

Santiako

Is the game playable with just a laptop track pad and keyboard? or is a mouse/keyboard or joystick required?

Ive looked every where for information on controller layout and if the mac air trackpad is all I would need. Thanks for the help!

No need for a pad or mouse, you can easily play with kb and trackpad.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Play it on my Macbook with just the trackpad and keyboard all the time.

Enjoy!

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just started this game after coming off 80 hrs of Wasteland and the ctrl/alt and M1/M2 buttons being reversed is killing me. Is there anyway to rebind these keys? Also the Windows key is active and boots me back to windows whenever I hit it. Can I disable that somehow?

Fun so far; went Cleric & Ranger but this meant some weak offense early on one crazy old lady with a big sword fixed recently.

I may or may not have killed 4 non-evil characters for fucking with me.

Maybe.

No witnesses, no foul.

I'm watching it as well and I have to say I don't think JesseCox was a very healthy contribute to this "open dialogue"; not hating on the guy but he talks a lot, rambling enthusiastically but with very few clear ideas on how to improve design, beside constantly advocating for "casualization" in some form.

Even his take on random loot was essentially a lot of vague stuff like "I want the cool stuff the cool enemy is wearing" without much of an insight on how fixed items could (or couldn't) make the game better in terms of balance, pacing, etc.

EDIT: I also have to say that I really don't like this recurring assumption that "giving freedom to the player" should equate to "going in every direction should be equally easy and you shouldn't cross enemies that are too strong".
On the other side of the coin, I'm absolutely with the Codex guy in preferring a morel imited growth in power for chracters rather than an exponential escalation.
Quoting myself to what I wrote to Josh Sawyer once:

<<The leveling systems I like the most are the ones where you get a clear sense of getting stronger over time through a a series of marginal improvements, but *without* experiencing an exponential growth.

I love stuff like "You start with 50 HP and you end with 90 and a lot more good to parry or avoid damage" and I despise stuff like "You start with 30 HP and you end with 9999".
I also like when dangerous enemies keep being dangerous even when you level up and become more confident facing them.
I don't find particularly enjoyable going through the whole "I'm going to one-shot stuff that was killing me in one blow barely a couple of levels ago". &#65279;
>>

One thing I always loved about the D&D bestiary is how certain monsters weren't even level-based, they just had a fixed set of stats/abilities. So that facing -say- a Worg was a consistent experience. There weren't level 5 and level 10 Worgs. Just Worgs, and you knew what you were facing when you fought the next one.

Ah, the magical, fun, quality, and money-creating elixir that much of the time does none of those things.

Dries

Guys, one thing still isn't clear to me. Should I put points in Two-Handed for my mages with staffs? Will this make my (attacking) spells better? Leveling Two-Handed does show me an increase in damage, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting any damage increase when using spells.

I do already know that spells benefit with leveling Intelligence.

Sentenza

Guys, one thing still isn't clear to me. Should I put points in Two-Handed for my mages with staffs? Will this make my (attacking) spells better? Leveling Two-Handed does show me an increase in damage, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting any damage increase when using spells.

I do already know that spells benefit with leveling Intelligence.
The short answer is no.

Hey guys, I got this game last steam sale. I got a couple of hours into it; did the tutorial dungeon, explored the first town, met the available companions. Now I want to restart the game with the (few) things I learned and want to build my party around the companions I'm going to bring along (Jahan and Bairdotr). Before I start though, I have a few questions I was hoping to get some help with:

Is leveling skills to lvl5 a waste? Investing in a skill gets more expensive for every level. However, you can also get skillpoints from equipment and sometimes talents and traits. Should I only level my skills to lvl3 and get to lvl5 or lvl6 with equipment? Or is it worth it to raise it all the way to lvl5?

Is leveling attributes to lvl15 a waste? Same as above.

Is putting points in weapon skills a waste? I read that once you get access to tenebrium weapons, your investment in swords/bows/crossbows is useless. Is it viable to skip these skills entirely, or is it advised to still put a level or to into it just to help you through the earlygame (or maybe even midgame, I don't know when tenebrium gear becomes available)?

Thanks in advance!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is leveling skills to lvl5 a waste? Investing in a skill gets more expensive for every level. However, you can also get skillpoints from equipment and sometimes talents and traits. Should I only level my skills to lvl3 and get to lvl5 or lvl6 with equipment? Or is it worth it to raise it all the way to lvl5?

Depends on the skill, but everything scales past 5. Remember that loot is completely random so you're not guaranteed to get gear that raises the skills you want anyways.

Is leveling attributes to lvl15 a waste? Same as above.

Equipment has minimum stat requirements to use, str gear in particular goes quite high in the needed stats.

Is putting points in weapon skills a waste? I read that once you get access to tenebrium weapons, your investment in swords/bows/crossbows is useless. Is it viable to skip these skills entirely, or is it advised to still put a level or to into it just to help you through the earlygame (or maybe even midgame, I don't know when tenebrium gear becomes available)?

That's a tough call, you're not likely to gain access to Tenebrium weapons until a good 20 - 30 hours into the game, do you want to be completely useless in combat prior to that? Also Tenebrium weapons aren't really inherently better, think of it as an additional elemental effect.

Hey guys, I got this game last steam sale. I got a couple of hours into it; did the tutorial dungeon, explored the first town, met the available companions. Now I want to restart the game with the (few) things I learned and want to build my party around the companions I'm going to bring along (Jahan and Bairdotr). Before I start though, I have a few questions I was hoping to get some help with:

I'm about 12 hours in (sooooo veteran), but what I've been doing is planning on "meal ticket" skills like the main magic school or weapon type for a character past that but probably not anything else.

Let's find out from others how gimp that is.

Giever

I just started playing this, and I was wondering if anyone could explain my framerate issues. I have a GTX 670 and an i5 3570k. At max settings at 1080p I get around 40 fps. At lowest settings possible at 1080p I get around 45 fps..

It seems like I should be able to reach 60 by turning a few things down, but it barely goes up at all. Furthermore, whatever my settings, either max or min, my fps is always 60fps when I enter a conversation. Can anyone explain this? x_x It feels way too sluggish to slog through at 40 fps, really detracts from my enjoyment.

rickyson1

finally got around to playing this game

8 hours in having a great time and I haven't even left the town at all yet let alone finished the first map

Seanspeed

Banned
I just started playing this, and I was wondering if anyone could explain my framerate issues. I have a GTX 670 and an i5 3570k. At max settings at 1080p I get around 40 fps. At lowest settings possible at 1080p I get around 45 fps..

It seems like I should be able to reach 60 by turning a few things down, but it barely goes up at all. Furthermore, whatever my settings, either max or min, my fps is always 60fps when I enter a conversation. Can anyone explain this? x_x It feels way too sluggish to slog through at 40 fps, really detracts from my enjoyment.

That's very strange. I ran it at 60fps with a GTX670 and 3570k no problem. I actually played it at 1440p with the same rig and it was about 40-45fps average.

I couldn't even begin to guess what your issue is, but that's definitely not normal.

rickyson1

is there any way to split stacks in your inventory(ie to transfer some of something to another party member but not all of it) other than selling some of them and buying them back with the other character? I can't find one wondering if there's something i'm missing

is there any way to split stacks in your inventory(ie to transfer some of something to another party member but not all of it) other than selling some of them and buying them back with the other character? I can't find one wondering if there's something i'm missing

Shift+drag to an empty slot.

Levyne

Banned
I was writing a post for the essential RPG list and found myself itching to give this one a go again. Haven't really played it since beating it. Have to try out the new party members!

Too many long games still on the plate, though. Finishing Inquisition, haven't started Valkyria Chronicles, I want to play XIII-2 too :<

rickyson1

(Cyseal quest)
for the survivors from the cave on the Arhu's failed experiment quest where do you find them? it says that they said they would go to the legion for treatment and to go check how they are doing but I can't find them anywhere

Noaloha

^ Ooh, neat! Larian's dev commentary stuff is good, so definitely looking forward to seeing more of the 'Making of' stuff. (And sure, wink wink nudge nudge etc. The secret is about as safe as can be in a GAF community thread, forum equivalent of a old folk's retirement village as it is.)

rickyson1

this games fantastic

30 hours in and just now about to move onto the second map
although I spent hours completely wiping out the first town after killing braccus other than a few guys that restock skill books and a couple others that don't but seem like they could be important later like the mayor(I also had a weird bug when I was used a boulder bash spell on two legionaires,for some reason it made them sit down on a bench and made them literally invincible,no matter what I do misses them for some reason now and i've even tried stuff like featherfalling them away from the bench but even that doesn't help)

Dresden

Restarted the game after clearing the first map. Wanted to play on hard, and optimizing my current party setup - lone wolf rogue and a mage (with Bairdotr tagging along) - was too appealing a thought to pass up. Also started crafting, using Jahan as my mule since he's a douche and that's all he's good for.

Just enjoying it tremendously so far. I wish the enemy AI was a bit more sophisticated than just mobbing up in melee, but that's a minor quibble.

I'm happy that they're sticking with the same engine. They have a great base to make more games with. Original Sin isn't perfect, but damn it's really good.

I can't wait to hear about the improvements to dialogue, UI and re-balancing they're doing. Should be worth another playthrough then.

Giever

Swen posted a blog entry about Larian's plans going into 2015/2016. It's fairly awesome.

http://www.lar.net/2014/12/18/leaked-the-larian-plans-for-20152016-and-beyond/

After D:OS, they're on my "instabuy" list.

Nice. I hope at the very least CPU multicore performance improves. D:

Putting aside my technical issues, can anyone answer me this: is there a way to mouse over buffs/debuffs that enemies are under to see what effects they have? I can scroll over the ones that my characters have on the side, and be like "Oh, Slowed does this."

But I can only see the enemies debuffs/buffs when I mouse over the enemies themselves, so if I try to go up and mouse over the actual buff/debuff icon, it goes away, since I'm no longer hovering over the enemy to keep the information there. =/

Top Bottom