• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

nded

I'm 10 minutes into the game and I've already had to kill two men because of a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Ourobolus

Banned
Question, I already finished D:OS. Is there really any reason to play the EE again? I'm usually not a huge fan of replaying a game, but I would consider it since D:OS was such a fantastic game.

If I did replay, I may do tactical mode since the first play through was kind of easy.

I'm doing Tactician and it's great.

Sanctuary

I'm lvl 12-13 and really want to start over my chars, but I'm too damn far.

This game is fucking awesome if it hadn't been said enough.

You shouldn't start over unless you feel like your two, non-main characters are screwed up in some way.

respec unlocks after 6-7 bloodstones

Aside from being able to make melee weapons that on average do 30% more damage than what typically drops for your level, Blacksmithing seems quite useless compared to Crafting. Hell, even Crafting does stuff you would expect Blacksmithing to do.

Also, what's the point of a Scoundrel (Rogue with daggers) type character again? I was going to play a Scoundrel/Witchcraft hybrid once I could respec, but my level 13 dual wielding Man-at-Arms (5)/Witchcraft(2) doesn't seem like there's anything it can't do better than a dagger wielding build. Not only does it not need to constantly move to the back for optimal damage, dual axes seem to actually do more damage in general even from the front than a backstabber. I think the only plus side is that daggers have a lower requirement compared to axes, which would mean getting INT to 10 would be much easier.

I already have 12 AP a turn, with movement of 3.7 and can charge across the screen with the chance for a knockdown (which in turn is 50% additional damage). Can typically ram something and then get two attacks off as well, which will either outright kill, or get something near death for the archer to finish off. Everything I read about Rogues talks about how it's "first turn setup", "second turn kill something". By turn two with the Warrior I've potentially CC'd one or more enemies and killed two. Oh, and I'm not squishy against physcial attacks either.

I have battering ram on my rogue too, I have 9str from the crafted daggers so I can use battering ram fine. Most of my setup on my rogue is summoning
Nick
, I do a round of preparation on everyone with summons/charms/buffs, assuming there's more than 3-4mobs. If I don't though, my rogue can just go and attack stuff, there's no other preparation, you just use your self haste for 2AP and go to town the same way a dual wield warrior does. With the high movement most of the time getting to the back of mobs costs less than 4AP too so I don't battering ram often(I could also cloak and dagger, but it's bad for initiating fights since it leaves a cloud in front of your casters).

Backstabs always crit, so while axes do a decent amount of base damage more, it's not really more than backstabs I think, unless you crit with axes(but it's not reliable obviously). Backstabs also always hit(with the correct trait), though that's less of a concern, but I can have melee offensive stance and still retain 100% hit chance even on a target not CCed. Also get 20% more damage to CCed target(including knocked down, so that's 20% more than just bully, obviously have bully too) from Headstrong, the talent for 5 scoundrel.

One other thing, daggers can roll 2speed. That's 2AP per turn more, almost an attack. I have 21speed on my rogue atm I think. I'm actually forced to get constitution because I can't hold all them APs ^^.

That said it's fairly irrelevant as in both cases, stuff melts. Positionals can be annoying at times, though using my mages to move stuff solves that issue.

NG28

How rare are ability points in this game? I'm thinking about picking up a point in aerothurge on my pyro/geo mage for the rain spell (or maybe on one of my other chars). Cant find any damn rain scrolls and I have to go through the fire area near cyseal. It just seems like a useful spell to have, but not if ap are hard to come by.

How rare are ability points in this game? I'm thinking about picking up a point in aerothurge on my pyro/geo mage for the rain spell (or maybe on one of my other chars). Cant find any damn rain scrolls and I have to go through the fire area near cyseal. It just seems like a useful spell to have, but not if ap are hard to come by.

Not rare, at least as a mage you can get 5 in 2 schools and like 3 in everything else or 4/3/2, and still have a bunch of points to spare in late game. You don't get that many at low level, but every 5levels you gain 1 more per level(iirc it's like 2/lvl from 2 to 5, then 3 up to 10 then 4 per level until the end). You should definitely get 1-2 in everything and grab all the good early spells.

Sanctuary

Base damage on a crafted axe is 90% more than crafted daggers, and they both cost the same amount of AP. They can't roll speed, but they do roll crit chance. While I don't crit every single hit, I do have a 25% chance anyway. Like I said previously though, the stat requirements are actually lower on daggers, so it's easier to make a hybrid out of them. Although your primary stat affects your hit chance too.

I was unaware that backstabs always crit. I only played as a backstabber for a few levels until getting sick of taking forever to get into position and attack twice. I know it's an early level thing, but I started over with the intent of playing a dual-wield Warrior until around level 15 or so when I could
respec and play a Rogue/Witch

The point of Battering Ram isn't so much for the movement (I actually move farther for the same AP by walking) as it is the additional damage gained from Bully, so I'm not sure why that matters for a Rogue, if your STR won't be high enough for it to actually knock down all that often. That 100% chance is before enemy resistances, so exceeding 100% is almost always helpful unless they are immune.

I think possibly the biggest benefit you get going Man-at-Arms(1) on a Rogue is for Battle Stance (and probably the heal), but of course you'd really need the trait bonus to make that work most of the time without other buffs. However, I also think the biggest benefit from Fast Track isn't the AP bonus, but the movement since you seem to only net 2 AP total from it, and a Warrior type can take Scoundrel(1) and use it as well.

Anyway, I am still planning on trying out my original idea once I hit level 15, because Scoundrel seemed to have a lot more intersting buttons to use during combat, but I'm not sure it's actually going to be doing much more, if even equal to what I can currently do.

Nothing that hasn't been said, but wow do summons and charm make the game a lot easier. I was really struggling in some early fights, but now, at level 9, with two summons and a charm skill, I'm generally cleaning up. Maybe the biggest boon is it gives those cursed ranged baddies alternative targets.

Miker

Base damage on a crafted axe is 90% more than crafted daggers, and they both cost the same amount of AP. They can't roll speed, but they do roll crit chance. While I don't crit every single hit, I do have a 25% chance anyway. Like I said previously though, the stat requirements are actually lower on daggers, so it's easier to make a hybrid out of them. Although your primary stat affects your hit chance too.

I was unaware that backstabs always crit. I only played as a backstabber for a few levels until getting sick of taking forever to get into position and attack twice. I know it's an early level thing, but I started over with the intent of playing a dual-wield Warrior until around level 15 or so when I could

The point of Battering Ram isn't so much for the movement (I actually move farther for the same AP by walking) as it is the additional damage gained from Bully, so I'm not sure why that matters for a Rogue, if your STR won't be high enough for it to actually knock down all that often. That 100% chance is before enemy resistances, so exceeding 100% is almost always helpful unless they are immune.

I think possibly the biggest benefit you get going Man-at-Arms(1) on a Rogue is for Battle Stance (and probably the heal), but of course you'd really need the trait bonus to make that work most of the time without other buffs. However, I also think the biggest benefit from Fast Track isn't the AP bonus, but the movement since you seem to only net 2 AP total from it, and a Warrior type can take Scoundrel(1) and use it as well.

Anyway, I am still planning on trying out my original idea once I hit level 15, because Scoundrel seemed to have a lot more intersting buttons to use during combat, but I'm not sure it's actually going to be doing much more, if even equal to what I can currently do.

How are you getting that much movement? I'm just thankful my battlemage is above 2.0.

Sparkmaster 5000.

The remote gives me the same "combo don't work" response no matter the input I select. I've read that it's bugged? I started on tactician and am pretty frustrated. There's nothing left for me to level my characters with and his spark attack one shots me. I've been putting it in my quick bar, are you supposed to do something else.

Yeah I know about the kb for bully proc, but I'll generally delay my turn on my rogue if I want to do damage on first turn, or as I said I mostly spend the first turn doing summons/buffs so no one takes damage. I have a warrior who I use for knockdown/cripple and both my mages can use Slow, so I'll have most of the enemies ready for bully when my rogue goes in for damage.

Fast Track gives 4AP total, maybe you mean minus the 2AP it costs but as I tend to do a round of summons and stuff, it's just spare AP at that point. It's good for the movement though as you said, then once it's over if everything isn't dead I have my 2mages with Wildfire anyway.

Scoundrel doesn't really press more buttons. I mean, I guess a bunch, but they're mostly novice spells. I use Fast Track, Winged Feet(god like to run around surfaces of crap without taking any damage), Walk in Shadows to invis on first turn to make sure I don't take damage/get debuffed, Toy if my other summon is dead or I need a good aoe burst and Knives Out or whatever for large damage burst(it's 280%weapon dmg for 6AP and it backstabs so 100%crit from behind, it's nice). I also use Lacerate and the Weak slash if I can't get behind, they're 130%weapon damage attacks for 3AP so they're decent enough for that. I have the man at arms stuff and marksman stuff but I don't use most of it besides power stance unless I really need it(marksman has a remove cripple that's pretty nice once every melee mob starts having cripple, like in the last zone).

But yeah DW warrior was something I considered too and it's potentially stronger, I just wanted to play a rogue again. I think 2H warrior is still probably pretty good too. But as I said, it's not really a big deal as the difficulty is still kinda low once you get to a high enough level. I haven't had a death in like 20-30hours in combat(obviously out of combat I have chars pathing into lava and other stupid stuff). Tactician really doesn't change much later on sadly, it's mostly the same fights. I think I'll finish the playthrough tomorrow to see the ending changes and move on to something else.

Sparkmaster 5000.

The remote gives me the same "combo don't work" response no matter the input I select. I've read that it's bugged? I started on tactician and am pretty frustrated. There's nothing left for me to level my characters with and his spark attack one shots me. I've been putting it in my quick bar, are you supposed to do something else.

Wasn't bugged for me. Make sure whoever is using the thing is close enough, it has limited range.

Sparkmaster 5000.

Are you using the remote right by it? It won't work if you're too far.

Sanctuary

Yeah I know about the kb for bully proc, but I'll generally delay my turn on my rogue if I want to do damage on first turn, or as I said I mostly spend the first turn doing summons/buffs so no one takes damage. I have a warrior who I use for knockdown/cripple and both my mages can use Slow, so I'll have most of the enemies ready for bully when my rogue goes in for damage.

Is there a talent that I'm missing that increases damage from Slowed enemies? Bully no longer does that, it's purely from knockdown now. Unless it's now just a tooltip error? If it worked the way it used to, Mass Slow would be like the best spell ever.

How are you getting that much movement? I'm just thankful my battlemage is above 2.0.

11 speed, and movement bonuses from boots, chest and rings. I'm not sure how you built your character, but I focused on maxing out melee skills first and then raised Witchcraft to 3 (going for at least 4).

Fast Track gives 4AP total, maybe you mean minus the 2AP it costs but as I tend to do a round of summons and stuff, it's just spare AP at that point. It's good for the movement though as you said, then once it's over if everything isn't dead I have my 2mages with Wildfire anyway.

It costs 2 AP, and only lasts two rounds. One of which is the turn you use it (I think?). The net, like I said would only be 2.

But yeah DW warrior was something I considered too and it's potentially stronger, I just wanted to play a rogue again. I think 2H warrior is still probably pretty good too. But as I said, it's not really a big deal as the difficulty is still kinda low once you get to a high enough level. I haven't had a death in like 20-30hours in combat(obviously out of combat I have chars pathing into lava and other stupid stuff). Tactician really doesn't change much later on sadly, it's mostly the same fights. I think I'll finish the playthrough tomorrow to see the ending changes and move on to something else.

For pressing special attack buttons, I think two-handed might be superior. Whirlwind always does more damage, as does Flurry for some reason with Madora, and her actual stat screen attack damage is almost 100 less. It's to the point that on my dual-wielder, he does almost the same amount of damage as Flurry with two basic attacks instead and for 1 less AP. I get why that is, it just makes doing Flurry, Crippling Blow and more often than not even Whirlwind (unless 3+ enemies) kind of pointless.

Is there a talent that I'm missing that increases damage from Slowed enemies? Bully no longer does that, it's purely from knockdown now. Unless it's now just a tooltip error? If it worked the way it used to, Mass Slow would be like the best spell ever.

They removed it from the description but it still works, I tested it kinda quickly but the numbers seemed fairly obvious. You can check yourself too, just cast Slow on one of your chars and attack it to compare. 50% is noticeable even with the large damage variance.

Eusis

I'm 10 minutes into the game and I've already had to kill two men because of a game of rock-paper-scissors.
I got lucky with my rolls and won out each time.

Then came time to recruit Madora where my companion disagreed and I had no opportunity to overrule. Guess it was made to require unanimous consent for co-op reasons but for SP it just means the AI is being an obstinate prick for the sake of being an obstinate prick. So that got me to shut it off.

Ploid 3.0

They removed it from the description but it still works, I tested it kinda quickly but the numbers seemed fairly obvious. You can check yourself too, just cast Slow on one of your chars and attack it to compare. 50% is noticeable even with the large damage variance.

Wow didn't know this, I've been so bent on knocking things down to get bully. Thanks, and I have two people to slow things.

Come on Divinity Devs!

Wow didn't know this, I've been so bent on knocking things down to get bully. Thanks, and I have two people to slow things.

Come on Divinity Devs!

Yeah it makes a big difference because Slow is a ton easier to apply to a bunch of stuff since it has a 1turn cd(with enough int) and lasts 3 turns and my mages have so much int even on mobs with 5willpower they have like a 15% chance to resist it only(and I can use lower willpower first if I really want to). My warrior also uses cripple for damage to begin with, so she activates Bully on her own. That's actually how I figured it out, she was doing way more damage after Crippling Blow.

That said I often attack unbuffed stuff with no bully/headstrong on normal trash, and they still die in 6AP anyway with my rogue, so it's like whatever. I only make sure I debuff bosses or high priority targets(stupid clerics).

Sanctuary

I actually did just check right after posting, and the damage seemed pretty much identical to what I normally do on an upright enemy. Granted, it was only a quick test due to it being a lengthy fight and not really wanting to do 5+ before and afters, but it for sure didn't look like the damage I normally do when something is on the ground, and it was against relatively low armored targets. I'll recheck the next time I play, but for now it's FO4 time.

If Bully is actually getting a damage bonus from Slowed and Crippled enemies, then wow...I've not been giving three of my party members a sizeable damage buff that is cheap and fairly quick to recast.

Also, if this is the case then Mass Slow is godlike, and I was going to use it as one of my Master spells even without the damage buff anyway!

Mass Slow is centered on the caster though, I remember it was a pain to actually hit every mob cause you had to move first. I haven't leveled a mage to 4 hydro yet, I think next level I have enough points to get it on both, was planning to get it anyway since slow is super good even without the damage amp for reducing damage without hard cc.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing that hasn't been said, but wow do summons and charm make the game a lot easier. I was really struggling in some early fights, but now, at level 9, with two summons and a charm skill, I'm generally cleaning up. Maybe the biggest boon is it gives those cursed ranged baddies alternative targets.
Yeah, make the game a lot easier. Enemies tend to unload early on in a fight, so getting them to focus on a summon has often been key to winning for me. I'm too afraid to use my charming arrows, though. I barely have any by now (level 8).

Yeah, make the game a lot easier. Enemies tend to unload early on in a fight, so getting them to focus on a summon has often been key to winning for me. I'm too afraid to use my charming arrows, though. I barely have any by now (level 8).

Charming arrows aren't that hard to buy or to craft. If you're really worried about wasting arrows, you can make you ranger have that arrow recovery ability and just save scum your arrows every time you take a shot.

Just adding that yes, according to the game, bully words on slow, crippled, and knock down. For some reason when you pick the skill it only says knock down (so that's all I thought it worked on), but if you highlight the damage stat with your mouse, it shows the 50% bonus from bully for all those status effects.

Llyranor

How do you craft good daggers? I understand it's knife + anvil, but how do you make a higher-quality one, or add stat boosts like +speed? I'm at lvl3 blacksmithing

Camper182

I'm on ps4 but sort of dont know where to go next, i'm in the first big city you enter.

How do i know where to go and not get absolutely smashed by overlevelled enemies?

epmode

I'm on ps4 but sort of dont know where to go next, i'm in the first big city you enter.

How do i know where to go and not get absolutely smashed by overlevelled enemies?

I forget how to do it on a controller but there's a way to see the level of any enemy in sight, even before combat starts. If it's more than one level over you, go elsewhere.

You might even get away with only attacking enemies at or below your level. Can't remember if this works all the way through the game.

Camper182

I forget how to do it on a controller but there's a way to see the level of any enemy in sight, even before combat starts. If it's more than one level over you, go elsewhere.

You might even get away with only attacking enemies at or below your level. Can't remember if this works all the way through the game.

Yeah i figured that out too, but i'm just wondering why there are no quest markers or stuff like that? i mean it feels like i started lots of quests but don't know where to go

danowat

Banned
Yeah i figured that out too, but i'm just wondering why there are no quest markers or stuff like that? i mean it feels like i started lots of quests but don't know where to go

All the info you need is in the quest log, it just doesn't spoon feed you with quest markers.

RiverKwai

I started over once last night when I accidentally stole the mayors key and then accidentally went into his living quarters and then accidentally style some of his gold. Forgot I hadn't saved since way back at the gate. Whoops!

danowat

Banned
I started over once last night when I accidentally stole the mayors key and then accidentally went into his living quarters and then accidentally style some of his gold. Forgot I hadn't saved since way back at the gate. Whoops!

That's a hell of a lot of accidents in one series of events!

butman

Quick question.

I have in front of me The Witcher 3 and Divinity OS.
I want to take a ride, enjoy an epic journe, sucked into the screen and become an addict. Which i must choose?

Quick question.

I want to take a ride, enjoy an epic journe, sucked into the screen and become an addict. Which i must choose?

I think it all comes down to if you want turn-based combat or real-time combat in your grand RPG adventure.

danowat

Banned
Quick question.

They are very different games, but I'd say that DOS is probably one of the most exciting releases I've played this year, it's just so slick and well made, it's clear it's been a labour of love because the mechanics work so well together.

Leezard

Quick question.

It's really tough. Both are great games. I echo the sentiment of the above poster that said pick DOS for turn-based fights or W3 for real time fights.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How do you combine two of the same items in the crafting menu when playing with a controller? You just deselect the first one if you want to put it in the second slot again.

edit: You have to split the stack...god trying stuff out is not made easy in this game.

Quick question.

In addition to what the others said about the combat. I would say this:

TW3 has a better, more epic story.

DOS has better gameplay in term of environmental interactivity.

I love DOS to death. But if you have to choose, TW3 is the much better choice.

epmode

Is there any way to have the game automatically display the last item you picked up at the start of your inventory list? I know you can sort it that way but it doesn't stick; I always have to scroll to the bottom.

goober

I steal things accidentally too. Does that affect you in any way?

Baalzebup

For those wondering about the Bully Talent, there is actually one place where it is still mentioned, in-game, that it also applies to Slowed and Crippled enemies. At your character/inventory screen, placing the cursor on your damage value field gives you the lowdown about the factors making up the total. Bully is mentioned as a factor there and it lists the applicable conditions as Slowed, Crippled or Knocked Down.

I'm using Witch's charm spell. Can't remember where I got it though so it might have been a lucky drop....

Top Bottom