• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Lanrutcon

Is it worth putting enough points in
Tenebrium
to craft and use the weapons in the EE?

Nah. Never needed it or found a tenebrium weapon good enough to warrant it.

Edit: Blew up the ice king. Took a barrel and about 60 grenades. The dude was staunch as fuck.

oh! Is it the vendor on the beach in cyseal?

Yeah, the weapons are worth almost nothing so I bought them all even though I haven't used them yet.

On the Tenebrium question, you can get 3 tenebrium points with a necklace+belt(or ring I forgot which, think it might be ring, so you can get 2rings also) and the +1 you get from the book/quest. That's enough to craft, so no real point in putting points in it. Just keep an eye out for +tenebrium swap gear once it starts spawning. The tenebrium damage bonus seems lower than it used to though, so it's not even that big of a deal.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man this game is soo good. But frustrating as,he'll from time to time. Sleeper hit of 2015. I know it came out on pc before but new to console. 9/10 for me. Ps. Rogues and archers are garbage. Roll knight.
Rogues and Archers are amazing. Basically the only thing that sucks are hybrid builds.

Man this game is soo good. But frustrating as,he'll from time to time. Sleeper hit of 2015. I know it came out on pc before but new to console. 9/10 for me. Ps. Rogues and archers are garbage. Roll knight.

Indeed. It is evidenced by the fact that this thread has such long legs. Quality wise, this game is able to stand toe to toe with the likes of Fallout 4. Btw, Gamestop will have it for 40 dollars on Black Friday.

Sanctuary

Is it worth putting enough points in
Tenebrium
to craft and use the weapons in the EE?

You can't actually make them. The only thing leveling up the skill allows is for you to wield weapons you find or buy, or adding it as an alternative for the elemental damage you can add (although you might be able to add it to weapons with already existing elements, not sure). You need rank 3 to be able to add it.

Rogues and Archers are amazing. Basically the only thing that sucks are hybrid builds.

And that truly sucks, because it limits creativity. You can actually make a functional hybrid (actually, you can make a Scoundrel/Marksman from early on thanks to them both being a DEX based), but to play one that's not mediocre at everything requires level 15+ at least due to stat distribution. Unless of course you're talking about X/Geo for the spells that don't require an INT investment and can't fail. But I don't count that.

Lanrutcon

There is a hybrid that works well: Scoundrel 3/Marksman 5. Combination grenadier/special arrow spammer. Use a crossbow for the stupidly large crits late game. Add in Packrat and Telekinesis for initiating combat with barrel explosions. If I was going to solo the game, I'd take that build.

My male lead is currently using that build, and the dude is invaluable. Shuts the enemy down like a boss with charm arrows/grenades+stun clouds/grenades, skips puzzles with his teleport, blows the shit out of bosses with explosives, assassinates special targets (those pesky immunity wards and aura bearers, hmm?) with stealth+arrow spray.

Lanrutcon

I shoulda added "except for marksman/scoundrel" (since they both use DEX). Basically magic + a class is mostly useless.

Well, I've read up on some guys doing runs on the final difficulty. One of the things they do is get everyone on their team Witchcraft 2 (for Oath, Skeleton and Rapture). Like, regardless of main class. Apparently having a charm, summon and damage buff on your entire team is pretty handy. I've never been that desperate, but I can see the advantages.

Annubis

I shoulda added "except for marksman/scoundrel" (since they both use DEX). Basically magic + a class is mostly useless.

The thing is, it's easy to not fail STR/DEX skills because of the +1/+2 from Tormented Souls, but there's isn't an easily accessible INT booster that takes 0 inventory slots.

You can get some utility, but since casting spells consumes the same AP as attacking or whatever, you're not really doing much by having hybrids versus having mages specialized in doing these things using their full AP doing it and specialized other chars doing their own thing. Stats can also be an issue, although I've found with leadership aura you can ignore your main stat a good amount. Main stat mostly only affects your chance to hit, and leadership gives 15% at max level, which makes it hard to miss on anything even with relatively low main stat(like say 11-13 or so, including items), which then lets you get some decent int to cast some novice and possibly adept spells.

You can also get acceptable strength as a rogue, since you get 4str from dual wield crafted daggers, which lets you use some baseline stuff like Battering Ram for movement(and a chance to knockdown, even if pretty low) or Encourage for buffing if you don't have a warrior doing it. Then there's melee power stance for 20% damage and the chance to hit penalty is negated by the backstab trait.

That said, hybrid stuff tend to be something for lategame. You can't really start as an hybrid and do very well. You can however, once you reach say 15+, start grabbing other stuff if it makes sense, as it becomes easier to get the required stats, and you're probably having useless ability points anyway if you're not a mage.

Lanrutcon

You can get some utility, but since casting spells consumes the same AP as attacking or whatever, you're not really doing much by having hybrids versus having mages specialized in doing these things using their full AP doing it and specialized other chars doing their own thing. Stats can also be an issue, although I've found with leadership aura you can ignore your main stat a good amount. Main stat mostly only affects your chance to hit, and leadership gives 15% at max level, which makes it hard to miss on anything even with relatively low main stat(like say 11-13 or so, including items), which then lets you get some decent int to cast some novice and possibly adept spells.

You can also get acceptable strength as a rogue, since you get 4str from dual wield crafted daggers, which lets you use some baseline stuff like Battering Ram for movement(and a chance to knockdown, even if pretty low) or Encourage for buffing if you don't have a warrior doing it. Then there's melee power stance for 20% damage and the chance to hit penalty is negated by the backstab trait.

That said, hybrid stuff tend to be something for lategame. You can't really start as an hybrid and do very well. You can however, once you reach say 15+, start grabbing other stuff if it makes sense, as it becomes easier to get the required stats, and you're probably having useless ability points anyway if you're not a mage.

Nah. You can start kicking ass as a hybrid early on. You're forgetting the key advantage a dex hybrid has over a mage: spamming. Low AP costs to do awesome shit and no cooldowns on grenades/spells. Spells never get cheaper, and you can never fireball more than once a round...but a grenade only costs 3 Ap and an arrow only costs 4 ap, both without cooldowns. Also, you can craft/buy grenades/arrows that do things mage spells only do at much later levels or never at all. I was throwing around meteor and charm grenades as early as level 5.

I'd go as far as to say grenades are fundamentally exploitable on a few levels.

Nah. You can start kicking ass as a hybrid early on. You're forgetting the key advantage a dex hybrid has over a mage: spamming. Low AP costs to do awesome shit and no cooldowns on grenades/spells. Spells never get cheaper, and you can never fireball more than once a round...but a grenade only costs 3 Ap and an arrow only costs 4 ap, both without cooldowns. Also, you can craft/buy grenades/arrows that do things mage spells only do at much later levels or never at all. I was throwing around meteor and charm grenades as early as level 5.

I'd go as far as to say grenades are fundamentally exploitable on a few levels.

I didn't mean archer/rogue, I don't really consider that a real hybrid since they use the same main stat, so there's no reason not to take at least 1pt to get basic stuff. I meant like getting spells as a rogue or warrior or doing a warrior/rogue hybrid of some sort, you don't have that many stats early on and you need speed to a decent level to do like 2-3actions per round, so you're better off casting your buff/debuff/summons/control spells on an actual mage, rather than have them on another char.

You can use grenades instead, but grenades have unreliable CC(though it's aoe so if the enemy is packed you get better results in general) and don't buff or summon(well charm kinda does but crafting them is annoying). I also don't want to bother with consumables, so that's a big thing.

Anyone can use grenades anyway, even mages. So it's not really class specific nor hybrid specific, there's talents for your grenades, but you can take those talents without being an hybrid, you just need to spend 1 ability point in scoundrel to get the precision talent.

J_Viper

Perhaps a silly question, but are there multiple saves?

I'd like to have one for my own play-through, as well as one for co-op

I got a dumb beginner question. How do you usually heal your group between battles? I only have one decent healing spell in the group, so I just sit and wait for cooldowns as I go through everyone. Level 4 party atm.

Malcolm9

Is the PS4 version any good? I haven't played a game like this in years, is it quite similar to old school games like Baldurs Gate etc?

I take it there are plenty of dungeons/caves/outposts to explore to?

I got a dumb beginner question. How do you usually heal your group between battles? I only have one decent healing spell in the group, so I just sit and wait for cooldowns as I go through everyone. Level 4 party atm.

Eating food and drinking health potions are the only other way. Beyond that, sleeping in beds will heal you up quick but proper bedding are pretty rare outside of settlements.

So I am playing this on PC split screen with two controllers and I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to type with the controller (for saves etc.)?

2. Can I move without the followers moving so close to me? I have had them stepping over traps while trying to disarm them myself... Can I tell them to stay further behind or something?

danowat

Banned
Is the PS4 version any good? I haven't played a game like this in years, is it quite similar to old school games like Baldurs Gate etc?

I take it there are plenty of dungeons/caves/outposts to explore to?

It's very good and there is tons to explore.

I wish I'd have known just how important pumping points into your main skills and buying up skill books to flesh out your available options in battle when I first started, would have saved a lot of frustration, as I would say that is the single most important thing to concentrate on, at least in the first 20-30 hrs!

danowat

Banned
So I am playing this on PC split screen with two controllers and I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to type with the controller (for saves etc.)?

2. Can I move without the followers moving so close to me? I have had them stepping over traps while trying to disarm them myself... Can I tell them to stay further behind or something?

Spilt the party up, or you can use the formation button, but this is absent from the console versions

BeeDog

Some minor late(?)-game spoilers, need some help:

What's the trick for progressing in the Knight's Tomb? I passed the speech check with the Guardian, and he implies that following the "frigid" path leads to death. I tried avoiding the blue frost pits, but I still get zapped all the time. :(

Pand

Can someone tell me how to use blood stones to open portals/rooms in Homestead? I'm playing this with a friend, he's got the stone, but he says he can only use it to heal. Is there something specific we have to do?

Lanrutcon

Can someone tell me how to use blood stones to open portals/rooms in Homestead? I'm playing this with a friend, he's got the stone, but he says he can only use it to heal. Is there something specific we have to do?

Using a bloodstone spends it (side effect: heals you!), and automatically unlocks something at your homestead.

Some minor late(?)-game spoilers, need some help:

What's the trick for progressing in the Knight's Tomb? I passed the speech check with the Guardian, and he implies that following the "frigid" path leads to death. I tried avoiding the blue frost pits, but I still get zapped all the time. :(

The easiest way is by doing the following: take your highest perception member and split them from the group (give him/her a pyramid). Take them up the stairs and he/she will spot footprints on the ground every so often. Go slow and stay on the footprints as they appear (you might need a perception potion or two). Once that character is across use the other pyramid to teleport the group.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm gonna start a new game in EE. I played the original for about a dozen hours but got stuck on a boss that just kicked my ass (a witch, I wanna say).

I plan on playing normal. Any tips for character creation besides what's linked in the OP?

AcAnchoa

It took me three or four tries but
the Baron of Bones
is down. He was wrecking me until I sent only one character to initiate the dialogue, used the pyramid to go back downstairs and waited for the skeletons to bottleneck at the doors. Tthen I showered them with every area damaging thing I had.

Now a few questions:
1 - Is it worth to pick any grenade talents? That extra five metre radius is tempting me.
2 - If I remember correctly you can now repair all the equipement in a character with one use of the hammer, how do you do this?

BeeDog

The easiest way is by doing the following: take your highest perception member and split them from the group (give him/her a pyramid). Take them up the stairs and he/she will spot footprints on the ground every so often. Go slow and stay on the footprints as they appear (you might need a perception potion or two). Once that character is across use the other pyramid to teleport the group.

Thanks, will try this tactic!

Lanrutcon

It took me three or four tries but
the Baron of Bones
is down. He was wrecking me until I sent only one character to initiate the dialogue, used the pyramid to go back downstairs and waited for the skeletons to bottleneck at the doors. Tthen I showered them with every area damaging thing I had.

Now a few questions:
1 - Is it worth to pick any grenade talents? That extra five metre radius is tempting me.
2 - If I remember correctly you can now repair all the equipement in a character with one use of the hammer, how do you do this?

1. Do you keep yourself stocked up on grenades? Have a melee character? then shit yeah.
2. Give a hammer to a character with Blacksmithing 1 or more. Give them the gear. Activate the hammer, click the gear, done. Hammer is not used up, and you only need 1 Blacksmithing.

Way easier to just right click (or hit X/square on controller) the armor/weapon on the equipment screen then select repair. You don't need to remove it, or send it to the person with the ability, FYI.

Lanrutcon

Way easier to just right click (or hit X/square on controller) the armor/weapon on the equipment screen then select repair. You don't need to remove it, or send it to the person with the ability, FYI.

Oh? I play M&K. Lemme check if the context menu works the time. Timesaver! Thanks.

Jolkien

Made it past the early game quest
The murder, I'm on my way to where Evelyn used a spell to mask their base or whatever
. You are in Cystea for a bit too long the first time, I have so many quests. I figured early who the culprit was but the game made me jump through hoops to progress, I got stumped for about 2 hours, glad I found it all by myself.

First time stepping outside I got decimated by my first battle, reloaded and I got them without much problem.

Lanrutcon

Made it past the early game quest
The murder, I'm on my way to where Evelyn used a spell to mask their base or whatever
. You are in Cystea for a bit too long the first time, I have so many quests. I figured early who the culprit was but the game made me jump through hoops to progress, I got stumped for about 2 hours, glad I found it all by myself.

First time stepping outside I got decimated by my first battle, reloaded and I got them without much problem.

Well, I just got wrecked by a fight in the desert. Goddamn slow.

Annubis

People are posting on the Larian forum and it seems that Oath of Desecration and Power Stance only affect normal attack damage, not skills.

NG28

How does EXP sharing work in this game? I was under the impression each character got their own, and if a character was dead at the end of the fight they didn't get any EXP. All of my characters have the same exact amount though, and there has been plenty of times I finished a fight with someone dead.

goober

So there's so much to do and I'm not sure what to do first.

I'm in Cyseal and I recruited two people into my party already. I went out one way and killed some skeletons. Am I doing the right thing?

I don't want to head to an area I'm under leveled for.

Lanrutcon

I'm in Cyseal and I recruited two people into my party already. I went out one way and killed some skeletons. Am I doing the right thing?

Do whatever you want. You can hover over enemies to check their level. You'll know when you've wandered into hell :p

Jokab

Yeah if you enter an are you are underleveled for, you'll know for sure. In fact for me and my friend, there was pretty much only one way to do things to achieve the smoothest leveling curve. But I'm sure you'll find it on your own.

Is it possible to craft smoke grenades? They have been a lifesaver for tough fights with multiple enemy archers.

Any recommendation on the most useful grenades (aside from smoke)?

AcAnchoa

God damn it, inventory! Wish there was a "drop everything in here" option when using containers. Guess it's time for ditching a few backpacks and crafting some new ones.

danowat

Banned

I don't think there's a right thing to be honest.

If you go one way and struggle, just try a different way.

Some of the most important things I've found is, weapon combat is secondary, skills are the most important thing, and thus, levelling (primary) skills and getting skillbooks is key.

It took me well over 20hrs to get my head around it, but the way the game approaches combat is really different, elements and element combo's are so important.

Top Bottom