• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"django unchained" deeply offended lee daniels: "tarantino has no right to our word."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

Have you read the thread?
The people saying things like
"Either everyone can use it or no one can."
or this:
"No it isn't. You can't forbid me to say something about you if you say it yourself the whole time. Example: If i said some bad words about your mother and you don't like this but you are saying using the same language to other people then you have no right say that i should not use those words."

samn

Why should we have to report to you every time we want to use a specific word? People invent their own meanings and their own in-jokes.

Enzom21

Why should we have to report to you every time we want to use a specific word? People invent their own meanings and their own in-jokes.
No one is asking you to report anything. So you've created in-jokes with nigger?

they wouldn't, no-one would
And yet they are complaining about not being able to use it when black people can.
No one is actually stopping anyone from saying nigger. Anyone can say it but some people can't say it free of consequence and that seems to piss people off.

IMO, the use of the word "nigga" makes one appear both uneducated and/or immature in about 99% of the instances in which I hear the word used. It's like hearing a white kid from the OC saying "Brah".

Do I think White people should be able to, or want to use the word nigga / nigger? Sure, I'm using them right now. If we're not speaking about the words themselves though, I really have to struggle to see a situation in which the context is appropriate.

Do I think Black people "own" the word. No, but I don't think anyone owns any words. I just listed an example in which I think it's OK for someone who's white to use either nigger or nigga. Do I think a black person has more has more social leniency when using the words in various contexts where a white person couldn’t use the words? Of course, but again, I don’t think that use is doing them any favors outisde of whatever circle they run in where its OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom