• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever leave your front door unlocked when leaving your home?

Hip Hop

I know it's foolish to but I just moved to Sedona, and felt like I needed to leave the door unlocked to test the waters see how safe this place is. I left home about 3pm and now back after about 6 hours, it felt good tbh.

I think I may do it more often cause why not? The other previous city I lived in tho, I would not be doing the same.

Do you ever leave your front door's home unlocked when leaving it unoccupied for convenience, or any other reason you may leave it unlocked?

Lasha

You felt good leaving your house unlocked? You can leave your door unlocked nearly anywhere since thieves aren't continuously checking every door. It doesn't make doing so a good idea.

I always lock my gate and door when heading out and I live in one of the safest countries on earth. The potential damage outweighs the minor inconvenience of always carrying keys.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, it's closed but unlocked pretty much all day no matter if I'm out. Only lock it at night before sleeping.

Banned
Yeah, most of the time. I only lock it at night, and everyone I know handles it similarity and did so for ages.
as a kid I always just walked over to my uncle's or grandparents' house and walked straight in because they were always unlocked, and ever since then I also don't bother locking the door during the day, unless I know I'm gonna be gone for an extendeupeeiod of time (more than 6h), it's just more practical to leave it unlocked.

Last edited:

daffyduck

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Tams

Unlocked if not in a city and in a safe area.

I'm very used to having people I know just wander in, make a tea or coffee and have a biccie while they wait. Of course, I expect the same treatment in return if I let them do that.

In a city? Locked every time.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I’ll sometimes leave it unlocked if I’m popping to the shops for 5 minutes, I’d never leave it unlocked for any decent period of time.

You purposely left your house unlocked “to check it was OK”? And you took a single 6 hour window as proof?

Sorry bro, that’s moronic.

Neolombax

Front door is always locked, whether I'm there or not. The idea of not locking the front door, is quite frankly really dumb to me.

Rockondevil

I live in a rural city and every night without doubt there are car thefts and house entries all over the place.
Last month my neighbours front door handle got snapped off and they cut his back fly screen door trying to unlock it.

They’re always kids so they have no consequences.

Australia has some lovely people who think they’re entitled to it all.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You’ve gotta be kidding me.

My father once lived on the sixth floor in a condo, in a relatively busy suburb. Basically every flat in Italy has security doors, not the slabs of scrapwood people in America call house doors. One day he was just chilling on the sofa when the front door opened and a Roma girl came in. You can bet your ass he learned his lesson and started locking the door even when he was in.

I envy you if you can even afford the experiment, but I’m not going to try. Better safe than sorry.

GymWolf

D

My father once lived on the sixth floor in a condo, in a relatively busy suburb. Basically every flat in Italy has security doors, not the slabs of scrapwood people in America call house doors. One day he was just chilling on the sofa when the front door opened and a Roma girl came in. You can bet your ass he learned his lesson and started locking the door even when he was in.

I envy you if you can even afford the experiment, but I’m not going to try. Better safe than sorry.
Do You meant a rom girl? Like romanian?

Last edited:

thefool

No but for a very long time in my grandfather house, where i spent a lot of my free time, we do in fact lived in a place where our door was unlocked and anyone could get in. My mom would go crazy over it because it lacked some privacy from time to time. Then some localized immigration happened which massively shit up the region and we had to change, and eventually the area got more popular and even locking the door wasn't enough.
A memory of much better times. To see such decay in a somewhat short passage of time is quite sad.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Different culture I suppose. In some part of US you can leave the door open and your house is like an hotel.

In Italy doors are closed even for your parents .

Banned

see that sounds like a good time to me... was she hot?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'll usually lock it if I see it unlocked, mostly because we have young kids. But we aren't super anal about it. Anyone walking in unannounced is going to have a 75lbs German Shepherd barking at them.

You used to be able to where I live, but not anymore. Demographics have changed a lot. Burglary has gone up about %1000. No kidding.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Everything is locked up even when we're home. We also have CCTV, locked gates with sensors and security doors at the back as well.

If those bastards get past the security doors and the main doors, then our last line of defence is a super happy Labrador, who will slobber them into submission.

I envy you guys that can just leave your doors unlocked like that. Recently a group were jailed for torturing and murdering some poor bugger on the other end of my suburb.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Up until late 80's, nobody locked their doors around here where I live in Sweden, then, you sort of had to start to lock them. :\ Now we have security doors that are pretty massive.

Toots

Gold Member
Yes, all the time. If you don't believe me come see for yourself. I live at 29 Acacia Road. I'm at work right now though.
Dude if you're feeling down, depressed and lonely. I know a place (not far from yours) where you can go. 22 Acacia avenue. Meet a lady that i knoOOOOOOoooooOOOoooOOOOOOOw.
So if you're looking for a good time, and you're prepared to pay the price. 15 quid is all she asks for. Everybody got their vice...
fe916697b483e338b0a7b58bad896f67.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I live in the country and leave my keys in the car at night.

I lock my door though. If I leave to run to the store I will leave my garage door up.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I live out in the country where everyone knows each other and there is very little crime and no, I don't leave my door unlocked when I leave.

Aesius

I've left mine unlocked plenty of times when I go for a walk around my neighborhood. But I live in a cul-de-sac in a fairly nice subdivision.

Top Bottom