• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever leave your front door unlocked when leaving your home?

Cattlyst

I'm not going to say where I live, but it's pretty safe. I accidentally left my car unlocked with the key in the ignition for 3 days last summer and it wasn't stolen. Absolutley idiotic thing to do, I must have gotten distracted when I got out of the car and just shut the door and then forgot about it. Was only when I was looking for my car keys a few days later that the last place I looked was in the actual car...and there they were hanging from the ignition. But no, I don't leave the house door unlocked when I go out!

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Where I live?
office space no GIF

Soodanim

Gold Member
Unlocked if not in a city and in a safe area.

I'm very used to having people I know just wander in, make a tea or coffee and have a biccie while they wait. Of course, I expect the same treatment in return if I let them do that.

In a city? Locked every time.
Postcode please, satnav is waiting

No but I feel like my area is safe enough that I could. Not that I'm spying on anyone lol but I've saw neighbours walk up to their doors and just walk in without getting keys out. Of course, most likely there is someone else in the house but there is one house that I've seen the entire family come back and walk right into their house. There is a guy who lives a few houses down and that crazy fucker has his door AND window open every time I bloody look!

Even when I am in the house I lock the door behind me. Maybe it's just basic common sense to keep your house locked up but I feel like I am so against leaving the doors open because at my old house it was more dangerous. There was a guy next door selling drugs and the house on the other side also had someone selling drugs so all sorts of people would turn up and a lot of the time they got the wrong house so would try get into mine!

My front garden only has a small gate so anyone can easily hop the fence and get in so I am wary about leaving the front door open. My back garden has a door in the fence which is about 6ft and can be locked and most of the neighbours have their gates locked so someone would need to go into another garden and climb over maybe 2-3 fences to get into mine.

The only time I do leave my door open is if my cats are out and I am either sitting inside or in the garden. Sometimes I do shut the door after them but they like to come back now and then to get some water or biscuits!

lem0n

I know it's foolish to but I just moved to Sedona, and felt like I needed to leave the door unlocked to test the waters see how safe this place is. I left home about 3pm and now back after about 6 hours, it felt good tbh.

I think I may do it more often cause why not? The other previous city I lived in tho, I would not be doing the same.

Do you ever leave your front door's home unlocked when leaving it unoccupied for convenience, or any other reason you may leave it unlocked?
Sedona is rad, I live down in Gilbert myself. We just cruised through on Sunday on the way back from Flag.

To answer your question though, I don't actively leave it unlocked, but I also do not feel like if I did I'd be robbed. I have good neighbors, most of whom I know on a first name basis. I have left my garage open numerous times by accident, no one touches anything. I have two distinctive cars in there, both of them have the key inside. Lots of tools, car parts, etc. So if someone shitty wanted something they'd definitely find something quick.

Batiman

Banned
I never lock the door if I’m home. I used to go out all day with the door unlocked. I knew the neighborhood and the people that would do B and Es. Nowadays I look back at how stupid it was but it was normal for a lot of people those days

No.

I worked very hard for the things I own. If no one is home, everything is closed/locked.

I come from South Africa where even a window that's slightly ajar is a christmas present for thieves.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I always lock it, but Ive never had my house robbed, nor have had anyone trying to open my door when Im home.

There's been many times I left my garage door open all day and night. Never had anything taken.

I live in a quiet neighbourhood with zero riffraff. I dont think I've ever seen sketchy people walking around in probably a km or two radius. Thank god.

ahtlas7

Hell no!
what year is it GIF

I grew up in a small town and no one locked the doors. Recently, criminals have started coming from the bigger cities to break into homes who‘s owner still don’t lock up. Everyone I know who still lives there locks up and loads up.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I lock my door when I leave and at night. My kids are in at out when we are home so it's usually unlocked. I've never had or heard of any crime near me. A few times I went to work in the morning and saw my daughter left her key in the door 🤣

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Front door is usually locked. My pups like to hangout on the front porch and I don't want someone letting them out by accident. The back doors are pretty much never locked though.

Top Bottom