• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still have the ability to shut everything out and just focus on gaming?

It's getting harder and harder.

Smartphones don't really let you immerse yourself in any activity completely, and as I get older I often feel a strange feeling of guilt when I game, like I should really be doing something else instead.
Phones really changed the way we engage with games, atleast for me.

I won't lie though: NeoGAF revitalized my love for video games again.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Phones really changed the way we engage with games, atleast for me.

I won't lie though: NeoGAF revitalized my love for video games again.
Now you just need to learn to love shmups and the surgical process will be complete.

maxresdefault.jpg

Bartski

Gold Member
Sometimes I wish I couldn't shut everything out as much as I do.
I take time off at work, lock myself up, start the game on release and totally binge it until it's done. During this time I'm absolutely incapable of doing anything else, no point trying.
My family understands.

Shuttershy

Neo Member
It's actually harder this days to just get sucked in the game, but it's not social media, it's just the thoughts of the adult responsibilities, that can't shut up for a second. But if I am sucked in. Oh boy, good bye I am lost for the world

Moogle11

Banned
No, it happens that when I play my brain just runs rampart and I think about every single responsibility I have, so I get depressed and stop.
That doesn't happen with movies though which manage to zone me off, weird stuff.

Maybe try more narrative-driven games, if that’s not already what you play.

I’m the same way as I get more locked in with movies, tv shows (fictional stuff, not sports, news etc.that I mostly have on while doing other things) than games. But I get more locked into story-driven games than gameplay focused ones for sure personally. But still not as much as movies as they still have long gameplays sections where I sometimes get bored and take a break to check GAF or whatever.

I’ve realized my hobby is more consuming stories than gaming and have embraced that. I do enjoy some non-story games, but more in shorter bursts with breaks to do other things.

Last edited:
I have no problem with this at all. I don't do any social media so that's no problem. And I really love getting lost in a (good) game, so I'm always eager for a great new experience to carry me away. I'm ready to surrender and let it all in. (or play something else that is good :p)

Barnabot

yes.

i'm married
with a child
and a job.

i wake up early to play games everyday because i know i won't be interrupted by anyone.
who can touch me now?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
One thing I found hard about PSVR is it absolutely demands your full attention. Like it's weird not glancing at my phone, getting a drink or interacting with my dog when I was on it. A front camera next gen will be a great addition.

Normal gaming it's easy to get distracted too or sometimes real world problems are on your mind. I think it all depends how carefree you are and how immersed you want to be.

Kuranghi

I don't really get Social Media, I tweeted at someone the other day for the first time, to try and have a "discussion" about politics, but it was just an argument really though. It was extremely bad for my mental and physical health, I literally decided to never do that again after about 1 hour lol.

So now I use it like I did before, for random giveaways and the like. I think I would be on anti-depressants if I used Twitter daily. My advice is to just stop, its a pile of trash and the negatives almost outweigh the benefits of it.

I understand thats difficult if you all your friends are there, I never had that problem because all my friends live locally so I just see them in person more often than not. I do use Discord but mostly but direct chats.

This is what I will say to my kids (When I get around to having them aged 50 lol): "You can use this if you want, but overall I think it will make you depressed over time", pretty intense but seems like the truth from what I've witnessed since its inception.

Top Bottom