• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Duncan Idaho has a cousin named Gerald South Dakota

Yes?

• Total voters

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
a7000e4a-d923-467b-9715-054294bcbf0c_text.gif

Yeah it is really weird, like is his name supposed to evoke the heart of America? It has that kind of cowboy flavor to it. That has no relevance in the Dune universe, so it just stands out as incredibly out of place. Do his friends call him Spud?

In the far future those words could have very different meanings.
Totally, like Idaho state probably isn't a going concern in 8000 years, but what do you posit Idaho means in the context of House Atreides? Would it be sillier or more badass if it was spelled like Dunn-kinn Aye'dahoe?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Totally, like Idaho state probably isn't a going concern in 8000 years, but what do you posit Idaho means in the context of House Atreides? Would it be sillier or more badass if it was spelled like Dunn-kinn Aye'dahoe?
Ugh, you have hit on my HUMBER ONE most hated thing about bad fantasy/sci-fi. The "funky spelling ain't I clever" stuff that is an IMMEDIATE turn off. I've only ever seen it used successfully once or twice, otherwise if the dust jacket plot synopsis is anything like "The T'Hkreenly Empire ravaged the land of %T-hj@#?d for a thousand years, and young farm-girl and secret princess Shell'BOC[455] has had ENOUGH" I punch out immediately. Ok, that plot has a lot of other red flags for me but the spelling alone is enough :p

Also, it irks the shit out of me when Star Wars books spell out the droids, like ArToo DeToo and Cee-Threepio, JFC why do this?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Also, it irks the shit out of me when Star Wars books spell out the droids, like ArToo DeToo and Cee-Threepio, JFC why do this?
I didn’t know wtf you were on about until this part and I just got flashbacks to reading Star Wars books. Why would they do that to us

Controversial opinion, I liked how they decided to write Artoo and Threepio. It turned their alphanumerical designations into something that reads more like a name. It would have been annoying constantly looking at a string of numbers while reading the back and forth dialogue, but I admit it was weird at first blush.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Controversial opinion, I liked how they decided to write Artoo and Threepio. It turned their alphanumerical designations into something that reads more like a name. It would have been annoying constantly looking at a string of numbers while reading the back and forth dialogue, but I admit it was weird at first blush.
I don't recall if they do this, but do they use R2D2 except when someone is actually saying his designation out loud?

It does remove issues like "how do you pronounce AT-AT"

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I respect your opinion on the matter, and it’s maybe influenced my own.

Top Bottom