• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think "walking segment" should be skippable?

How do you think "walking segment" should be handled?

• It should be skippable in the first playthrough after retry

• It should be skippable in the first playthrough without retry

• It should be skippable only in second playthrough

• It is a part of the game, its fine as it is

Results are only viewable after voting.

SeraphJan

For video game especially narrative driven ones, the non play loop section or as many would call it "walking segment", how do you think dev should handle it?

Note: this does not include action packed set pieces, as this one is a bit game dependent

-------------------

Edit: About the changing non play loop section into cutscene argument (which most people argue that "walk segment" takes control away from the player), the thing is non play loop section only takes part of the control away while cutscene takes all controls away, both method convey different player response and emotion, some moment requires the former type of mechanic for the dev's intended experience to work (such as integrating midway surprises, seamless action transition that swap back and forth etc.). However this mechanic do negatively impact second playthrough or repeatedly retries (or speedruns), this post is mainly about discussing different ways of handling them, and what skip scheme might be the best solution.

As for people who do not like this style of game at all, do understand there are in fact a lots of people who do likes them. So If you don't like that sort of game to begin with, please save yourself some money/time, skip the entire game (might as well skip this thread too), play something else and don't try to stop other players from having fun.

Last edited:

Zannegan

The carriage rides in Red Dead Redemption were exactly this. You could sit there through the entire thing if you wanted to bask in the atmosphere and characterization. If you didn't care though, you could just skip them. The only downside is that Rockstar has one of the few writing teams that's worth listening to.

All the film school wannabes, on the other hand, are convinced that their overwrought, overlong dialogues are absolutely essential to the experience of their games, hence cinematic slow walking.

Puscifer

They shouldn’t be in the game to begin with. Cut a few voice lines and use that money to make something that’s actually enjoyable.
I felt like the first GoW did it right in a lot of spots, the dialogue is there, you can listen to it, but hop in a boat or start combat and you come back to it. It was the one game I can say that being so dialog heavy that stuff didn't bother me that much, but they went overboard after that in Ragnarok and most other games.

Last edited:

GHG

maxresdefault.jpg

Skippable after the first time.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Leave them in if they're necessary for performance or narrative set up.

People complaining about shit like this and how many minorities are in every square foot of game world are the reason the industry is spinning it's wheels creatively. Harp about stagnant enemy AI or something that would actually improve the hobby as a whole, not whine about diminishing attention span adjacent non issues.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
On a side note without naming names (y'all know who you be). I've seen some people rave about Alan Wake (finally started it the other day for the first time), whom have criticized certain exclusives that are by far less jank, still third person, story driven, even with trees!!! (and AW has a lot of same same copy/paste tree levels) and guilty of said walky talky forced scenarios.

Dude also has the stamina of a sloth, I can see why Alice 86'ed him so far. (Left off on Episode 5, Chapter 1 last night)

But all in all, I'm having a good time with it story wise and how they made it episodic like a TV series. Will definitely dive into AW2 when it releases. I don't expect a massive amount of change in the sequel either. Story driven and will have much of the same scenarios.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I wouldn’t mind if they were handled like visual novels with auto-forward past read text

after you’ve seen it once then you can skip past it

salva

Make them skippable from the start. Let the player decide what they want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredrik

I think the people thr complain about walking in games have adhd or some type of attention deficits. I don't mind sight seeing in a game alot doesn't have to have twitch cod gameplay
I don’t mind sight seeing but these slow walks/rides are usually too restricted and boring. Just make an awesome cutscene instead, movie quality. Tell me how long it is, let me pause so I can make some popcorn, let me put down the controller, and I would have no issues as long as the scene was well made, I love movies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't mind them if you get to choose where you are going, like Bioshock audio log stuff. But if you are just walking from A to B then it's basically a cutscene that you are forced to push forward on. Anything that removes player agency is not good design, even cutscenes where choices are made for you or game like stuff happens out of your control are frustrating in my book.

Mr.Phoenix

Nope. leave them as is. Or not where does this end?

Take TOTK for instance... if you have enough stamina, climbing is a mindless task. It's not even a narrative filler.

So should that be skippable too? So if you have enough stamina climbing should instead become an on-screen prompt. `do you want to go up?` yes/no.

Fast travel is a thing...
Which honestly defeats the whole point of a game being open-world.

To me, open-world games should be split into major areas, and there should be only one fast travel point in each of those areas. So you can fast travel to say the central point of that area, but if you want to explore or revisit anywhere in that area, you should physically travel to that point.

I find fast travel just turns open word games into glorified level selectors. Nothing wrong with that, but if that's what the game is going to be, then they should just be that from the get-go (eg. FF16 world navigation is one big level selector).

Last edited:
The carriage rides in Red Dead Redemption were exactly this. You could sit there through the entire thing if you wanted to bask in the atmosphere and characterization. If you didn't care though, you could just skip them. The only downside is that Rockstar has one of the few writing teams that's worth listening to.

All the film school wannabes, on the other hand, are convinced that their overwrought, overlong dialogues are absolutely essential to the experience of their games, hence cinematic slow walking.
so much of what's now considered to be 'character development' is basically the reduction of a character that, left to your imagination, you may've found interesting into nothing but a cliche-ridden cartoon...

Hudo

A walk-and-talk segment shouldn't be even in a video game, tbh. Either find a way to tell your story without taking away control and agency from the player or, holy shit, make it a cutscene and make it worth watching, at least.
poppabk poppabk mentioned the audio logs from System Shock et al. That's a far nicer way of delivering exposition to the player. Or the hologram stuff from Callisto Protocol, for all the shit it rightfully gets, was a neat idea that sadly didn't get explored deeper.

killatopak

Uhhh no. However there should be some way to move past it on second run through or something.

We are already past using it to hide loading yet despite that devs still do it. Why? Because there are other reasons to do so. Some of these being to slow down the pace of the story, convey information, give you a break from the action, or even collect resources.

Just like most movies have and ebb and flow, games do as well. Non stop action isn’t all that good. Even DMC, the most actiony game you can find has walking segments.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Those are used almost exclusively in narrative heavy games. It’s like saying “should talking sections in movies have a skip button”. If you feel that way just go play cod or whatever other mindless shooty looty thing Activision or Ubisoft choose to vomit out 🤷‍♂️…not exactly spoilt for choice they’re a dime a dozen

Last edited:

yamaci17

forest section in gow ragnarok should be skippable. its bareable 1st time but if i want to play again, that's a no go. that section alone stops me from replaying it. it's unbearably long and an unnecessary slog

Havoc2049

The walking segments in Gears of War 5 were the worst parts of the game. Get rid of them. The only game that I played where they were bearable was Hellblade, but that is more of an adventure game with some action sequences.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All cut scenes and walking scenes should be skippable. Speeds up the game. But they force gamers to watch so the developers can get their kudos and the company can brag about the game being an extra 2 hours longer.

If skippable scenes are that important, just let gamers rewatch them or replay the level. Think of it like level select after you beat a mission. But it'll be cinematic select. Why that's so hard to add to a game I dont know.

Sethbacca

If people have no interest in narrative, why the hell are they playing narrative focused games? Stick to multiplayer or something that lets you twiddle your adhd addled thumbs into oblivion since that's clearly more your speed? I mean, yeah you should be able to skip these segments if you want to, but if you're not interested in the story of a story based game why are you even playing them?

Wildebeest

How could a game with a budget as low as 200 million dollars possibly afford to implement and playtest a feature like skippable forced walking sections.

X-Wing

Those walking segments sometimes hide loadings, I don't think they should / could be skippable until now. Gamedesign will most likely change thanks to the SSD.

Video game story should always be skippable/accelerat-able . You should also always have the option to skip dialogue line by line. The vast majority of video game 'story' is better consumed at your own reading pace rather than listening to some self-important voice actor thinking they're making some kind of high art.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm an extremist. Either go all out with story and dialogue - though it better be something truly interesting if so - or make it minimalistic affecting as little as possible of the gameplay. My main grip is when we get the former minus the 'interesting story' part, or some middle-of-the-way shit that isn't really good one way or the other.

Personally, i think in a story heavy game, all the story bits should be skippable as a mere matter of covenience, they shouldn't be designed with the intention of letting people 'ignore' the story. Thats akin to admiting your game is uninteresting or flawed.

Last edited:
The massive amounts of walking and talking in cyberpunk was hard to take. i was like cant they just put that in a skipable cutscene

Walk and talk moments absolutely have their place by providing not just a quiet time during the game but extra character development. Having a cutscene would rip you out of the moment.

If we can't have more choices like difficulty settings in other games due to their "creative visions", then tighten up those laces, son, and git scootin'.

simpatico

But how else can we absorb all sweet teen lit writing? The moment of finding out our sarcastic wise cracking hero does indeed have a troubled past and deep feelings; that's just too impactful to skip.

Lethal01

sequences that arbitrarily limit the player's abilities should not exist in the first place. that includes slow walking sequences.

Nah, levels where you have to beat them with "only X, Y and Z" allow for a greater ability to make fun levels and interesting challenges. It's the same as games with multiple characters that require you to beat certain levels with certain character.

Top Bottom