• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA6 graphics vs DOA5 LR

Booted up DOA5 LR and while it looks fine still, DOA6 in character models and lighting looks like a different generation ahead imo. Gameplay is so much improved as well. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it. Shots are both from Xbox One X version
2xWFrLQ.jpg

nCrffIB.jpg

DoNlJyO.jpg

c5WJEM4.jpg

V9IK6E1.jpg

u4LArth.jpg

cstzmz6.jpg

hGegj59.jpg

Last edited:

Leonidas

Yeah it does look a bit better than DOA5:LR, but then again DOA5:LR was essentially an upscaled 360 game outside of a few minor details.
This games demo ruined my sleep schedule :goog_sleep:

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Christie have a bra wtf ?
Why do the girls look smaller than on the fucking 3DS game?
Why does it have less unlockable costumes than the fucking 3DS game?
Is the Tengu girl a pre-order only character? The shit?
I played the demo and they really haven't added anything in 7 years will have to wait for a discount so that I can buy it and hopefully save enough to buy some dlc they will prob milk over the next 3 years...

KiteGr

The Graphics look prettier, but the characters don't look any more realistic.
They look very well like nicely done figures of an anime.

Just take a look at Tekken's characters, animations, facial expressions and artwork, where even during the last gen, even the joke characters looked much more real and believable.
tekken-tag-tournament-2-characters-unlockable-via-dlc.jpg

I guess Team Ninja can't compare with Namco in that aspect.

Ascend

Why does Christie have a bra wtf ?
Why do the girls look smaller than on the fucking 3DS game?
Why does it have less unlockable costumes than the fucking 3DS game?
Is the Tengu girl a pre-order only character? The shit?
I played the demo and they really haven't added anything in 7 years will have to wait for a discount so that I can buy it and hopefully save enough to buy some dlc they will prob milk over the next 3 years...
I guess Fatal Stuns, Break Holds and a meter have existed for 7 years in DOA.
Although it looks quite similar to DOA5, the fundamental mechanics have changed quite a bit.

Not that I'm arguing to get this at launch. That's everyone's own decision. Knowing Team Ninja, and basically the track record of every fighting game out there nowadays, they'll either bring a bunch of updates, or release a superior slightly updated version down the line.

The Graphics look prettier, but the characters don't look any more realistic.
They look very well like nicely done figures of an anime.

Just take a look at Tekken's characters, animations, facial expressions and artwork, where even during the last gen, even the joke characters looked much more real and believable.
tekken-tag-tournament-2-characters-unlockable-via-dlc.jpg

I think it’s more an art style choice possibly. TTT2 models imo were and are still very good, but in Tekken 7 some of the characters look more anime-like. Look at Asuka in TTT2 compared to Tekken 7 for example. Very noticeable difference where TTT2 Asuka look more realistic.

Also, doa games usually have more expansive and interactive backgrounds which I’m sure consumes a lot of processing power.

Last edited:

cireza

Obviously Team Ninja is not trying to make believable characters ? DoA5 was a step forward in that direction, but they clearly took a step back with DoA6, on purpose.

Well it's fine anyway, as Team Ninja has some other strengths that Namco Bandai don't. Team Ninja's games always have an awesome image, very well optimized loading times and great presentation overall, while Namco is pretty much the worst company on the technical side with low resolution, bad anti aliasing, horrible loading times and so on.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Looks juicy.
Surprised Team Ninja aren't doing some kind of separate VR mode where you pose the, sex dolls, I mean fighters, in various positions.

JordanN

Banned
Looks juicy.
Surprised Team Ninja aren't doing some kind of separate VR mode where you pose the, sex dolls, I mean fighters, in various positions.
There's VR in the PS4 version of DOAX3.

But I don't think there's a VR Mode for the PC version.

xion4360

Booted up DOA5 LR and while it looks fine still, DOA6 in character models and lighting looks like a different generation ahead imo. Gameplay is so much improved as well. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it. Shots are both from Xbox One X version

DOA5 is a last gen game so you would hope right lol but yes in 4K especially the models look great. there are still some things ported from 5 like the hair texture and some clothing but its been improved enough to fit in and overall the game looks really good, I just hope they increase the resolution to at least 1440p, its being underutilized at 1080p for sure.

Obviously Team Ninja is not trying to make believable characters ? DoA5 was a step forward in that direction, but they clearly took a step back with DoA6, on purpose.

step back? looks just about the same if not even slightly more realistic with some of the changes to characters like Kokoro. its consistent with where they are more than it is a step back though I get what you mean in a way. How realistic they look is completely an artistic choice, one that fits with this game I feel. what matters is how good they look.

Last edited:

cireza

its consistent with where they are more than it is a step back
It depends. Some characters looks less realistic, especially the girls that had their face changed with bigger eyes. Nyotengu being the prime example, but not the only one.

xion4360

It depends. Some characters looks less realistic, especially the girls that had their face changed with bigger eyes. Nyotengu being the prime example, but not the only one.
I dont see what you mean, she looks almost identical.

ss-nyotengu001.jpg
584b7ba46bd25f84035bd350c744e034.jpg

Last edited:

cireza

because her eyes are more open? show me something thats a change to the character model, not some particular animation.
The face is a pretty big change design wise, I don't see how I can show anything more. It is just about the face, size of the eyes and proportions.

xion4360

The face is a pretty big change design wise, I don't see how I can show anything more. It is just about the face, size of the eyes and proportions.

The direct comparison I posted shows the proportions of her face are basically the very same so I dont think you succeeded if your point is they made her more anime style with larger eyes. If your point was they are showing her with more expressive animations that make her look more childish or whatever then thats a different thing to what you suggested about art style or actual changes to her character models features.

cireza

The direct comparison I posted shows the proportions of her face are basically the very same
Watching the videos I don't have the feeling that they are the same. Even Honoka posted in OP has different eye sizes (pretty obvious in the screenshots). Even Tina has bigger eyes. You can clearly see the difference in proportions in these screenshots. Also true for Kasumi etc...

Last edited:
My general impression has been while DoA6 from the start demonstrated clear graphical improvements over its predecessor, it's also visually inconsistent. The most immediately noticeable improvements are seen in character models and clothing textures, but it's often on a body-part-by-body-part & outfit-by-outfit basis. Most, if not all, of the DoA6 screens in the OP are from the Xbox One X in 4K-graphics mode, which probably isn't how most people will experience or choose to play the game, and I haven't found things looking nearly as impressive at 1080p and/or in performance mode. Regardless of mode, backgrounds are too sterile and in some cases showcase pretty shabby textures.

Budget and time limitations have been mentioned on several occasions by DoA6's developers. I won't be surprised if we're looking at another vanilla release, created with the intent of eventually bringing an upgraded version of the game to newer hardware.

Last edited:
I thought DoA5 looked great on my 360 and I was also very impressed with how good DoA6 looked on my regular XB1.
Still, I wont buy it until I get confirmation of bikinis.

My general impression has been while DoA6 from the start demonstrated clear graphical improvements over its predecessor, it's also visually inconsistent. The most immediately noticeable improvements are seen in character models and clothing textures, but it's often on a body-part-by-body-part & outfit-by-outfit basis. Most, if not all, of the DoA6 screens in the OP are from the Xbox One X in 4K-graphics mode, which probably isn't how most people will experience or choose to play the game, and I haven't found things looking nearly as impressive at 1080p and/or in performance mode. Regardless of mode, backgrounds are too sterile and in some cases showcase pretty shabby textures.

Budget and time limitations have been mentioned on several occasions by DoA6's developers. I won't be surprised if we're looking at another vanilla release, created with the intent of eventually bringing an upgraded version of the game to newer hardware.

The lighting also definitely makes a difference in the models appearances as well. Also, lighting in most of the backgrounds, texture quality, color palette and even animation is improved from DOA5. It looks like of combination of DOA4 and DOA5 to me. Then again, maybe my TV is contributing to it as well?

Last edited:
I played the game in both 4k and 1080p and its still considerably more impressive even in 1080p imo. Visually the models are close, but the lighting definitely makes a difference in their appearances. Also, the lighting in most of the backgrounds, texture quality, color palette and even animation to me is improved from DOA5. It looks like of combination of DOA4 and DOA5 to me. Then again, maybe my TV is contributing to it as well?
As suggested in my previous post, from what I've watched over the last few months and the little I was able to play of the demo, DoA6 clearly sports improved visual fidelity, but I don't find it impressive, particularly at 1080p. I come back to the game looking generally inconsistent: sometimes it's a nice jump overs its predecessor, while other times looking quite cheap.

thelastword

Banned
It seems like they've ventured back to their old artstyle in the dreamcast days.......More plasticky/dollish/porcelainish…….Personally, I prefer the look as it leads to better AA, but this game is still lacking AA in places and I wish they would have at least gone back to Dreamcast levels for stages too, the art, color and even texture work in DOA has not evolved to the overhaul that's expected, it was the best back then....Stages, art, color....

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Honestly except Capcom, third-party japs editors have been in trouble since the switch to HD.

Breh Street Fighter V was a disaster at launch and MVC Infinite killed that franchise. Meanwhile at Namco, Tekken 7 took years to arrive on console after its arcade release and SCVI is pretty low budget all things considered. 8th gen Japanese fighters have been havin a tough time all around.

Vlaphor

I'm liking what I've been seeing so far on Xbox One X and since I'll be playing it on a powerful PC, it'll look/run even better. Sucks about some of the downgrades, but this is still the sexiest non-h-game we're going to be getting this year, so I'll be grateful for that. Plus, mods on PC and all that goodness.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm just happy that the gameplay is still DOA. I like the visuals and I think for the most part the improvements in lighting and skin textures are great. I still can't seem to pull the trigger on the purchase, and the demo actually put me off. It doesn't play differently enough from 5 to me to justify the cost on just the graphics alone. I may wait for the first sale now.

wipeout364

I am looking forward to it. I’m glad they continue to do what they want and don’t seem to be pressured into having all the girls wear snowsuits. They have amazing character designs. My only hope is that they are not quite so aggressive with DLC like they were with last round, it was too much money I just gave up buying it.

They lost me when I noticed the DLC practices will be the same crap all over again (when looking at DOA5LR that has something like THREE THOUSAND FREAKING EUROS of DLC!).

The fact the roster is small vs the previous game and the VF guys and gals are out (Sarahhh, come back!!) didnt help either.

Lack of lobbies upon release, returning characters as DLC (for now free but I bet that wont last),...

Such a messy product...

I really like Dead or Alive, second only to Virtua Fighter all said and done when it comes to fighters but I have to start being more agressive when voting with my wallet.

The lack of content on day one doesnt justify an 80 bucks Deluxe Edition with no real extra punch to it nor an even more bare bones base title.
And Im just tired of huge list of paid DLC post release.

I will have to just double down on playing Soul Calibur 6.

Top Bottom